Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Two Flaws Of Democracy Keeping Africa Caged - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Flaws Of Democracy Keeping Africa Caged (331 Views)

Senetor Elisha Abbo Bags An Award 'Icon Of Democracy' / Several ‘flaws’ Identified In Atiku’s Presidential Election ‘server Result’ / Tinubu Punctures Atiku’s Claim To Be A Democrat, Defender Of Democracy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Two Flaws Of Democracy Keeping Africa Caged by Zeromoney(m): 6:28pm On Sep 19, 2017
Democracy is a very lovely system of governance, I hold this view and I'm sure so does most people in the world. Particularly I love democracy because it gives power to the people. The people CHOOSE their leader. I, as an eligible citizen get to CHOOSE my leader.
What this act of my voting a leader from candidates vying for a political position portrays, is that I am convinced I will receive the best from my choice. But then if a candidate I didn't vote for wins I would most probably feel I am not being led by the best. Yet it is democracy. Government BY THE PEOPLE. Government BY ME.

So here are the two anomalies or flaws with democracy as I see it.
These anomalies are what I wish to highlight
1. If democracy is really a government by the people then a democratically elected leader should be unanimously voted in. This surely will avoid statements like 97% and 5% by the President.

2. Democracy gives one vote to one voter. This to me is the biggest flaw of democracy. I think votes should be weighted. A professor most definitely will have a better idea of a leader Nigeria needs than his 18yr old student. Banker or shoemaker. Engineer or bricklayer. Philanthropist or beggar. You get the point.

Western countries are mostly able to get around these two problems because of the following reasons
1. there is little divide in class,
2. education and general enlightenment surpasses Africa,
3. Most do not have more than 5 languages out of which one is the major
4. They have one major religion

Africa on the other hand has countries divided across multiple ethnicity, religion, high illiteracy etc etc.
Until we get around these flaws in democracy we will keep having disgruntled citizens being ruled by leaders they view as inadequate.

(1) (Reply)

Governor Okezie Ikpeazu Of Abia State Is A Nationalist And Presidential Material / No Country In The World Will Tolerate IPOB - FG / Nigerian Army Declares Victory Over IPOB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.