Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. (25655 Views)

Who Dey Play Chess For Chess.com? / Nairaland Chess Players (Play a Nairalander) / Thread For Scrabble And Chess Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 11:49pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hi Chess lovers and players, I started playing chess few months ago, although I have always loved the game but i had no idea how it's played,

I downloaded the App on play store and started playing, I didn't understand what exactly I was playing at first

Then i started doing some research online and a friend helped me with some chess videos which aided my learning,

I play with computer most times, but have played with a few humans,
in my hostel in school there's one particular room that had the chess board game ,
so I played with them and they trashed but they trashed me real bad,
But with constant practice I am getting better at the game now.

So if you are a beginner that love chess and have always wanted to learn the game, you can enter here, to learn from the PRO'S,
I am not a pro oh, I just started about 4 Months Ago - July. Precisely

I would try to teach with Visual aid.

If you don't have a CHESS game you can download from the Google Play Store

3D Chess On PlayStore,

UPDATE

Wow it's amazing seeing the number of chess players contributing to this thread, awww you guys are great and Special, thanks alot

Hey Guys I want you guys to learn from some of the chess greatest players, go to YouTube either download or watch some of their games to learn one or two skills, some of the greatest players you should Google are

Mikhail Tall - One of the best attackers of all time his games are so complex, he was so good that he could make complex sacrifice, this guy can sacrifice a Queen and still win the game.

Bobby Fischer - also one of the greatest player of all time, He is the most dreaded chess player of all time.

Tigran Petrosian - One of the best defenders and the greatest chess player of all time, he was nicknamed iron tigran because of his mad defense.

Other names,
Smyslov
Efim Geller
Leonad Stein

And others

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 11:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
This is how a CHESS BOARD look like and this is exactly how the pieces are positioned.

I would explain each of the pieces one by one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by EKLE: 11:56pm On Sep 19, 2017
am following

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:11am On Sep 20, 2017
The Chess Piece and how they move around the board. Loading.....
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:17am On Sep 20, 2017
PAWNs

Pawns are those small pieces that occupy the front row, they move forward, and on its very first move, it can advance two squares,
the way a chess can capture a piece is diagonally, it can only capture by moving forward diagonally, a Pawn never moves backwards,
A pawn can be promoted to any rank.

Don't lose your Pawns unnecessarily.

This is a visual aid of how the PAWN moves in the chess board.
The Black Circle is where the pawn can move to, while the X is how the pawn can capture an opponents piece.

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:30am On Sep 20, 2017
KNIGHT(s)

The Knight is the piece that is shaped like an HORSE head, the Knight is the only piece that can jump over any piece, it moves in an L-Shape kinda movement.

The Knight is very useful when offering protection for the pawns as they advance towards your opponent, don't lose your Knights carelessly.

Here is a visual aid of how the Knight move in the chess board.

1 Share

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:37am On Sep 20, 2017
BISHOP(s)

The Bishop is that piece on the chess board that has the + Sign on its head, the Bishop move Diagonally, think of the Bishop Movement like an X Shape.
The bishop is one of the major piece that can move and capture very far,

Here's a visual aid.
The Black circle is where the bishop can move to, but it can't jump over any piece.

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:43am On Sep 20, 2017
ROOK(s)
This piece looks like a Castle.
The Rook is one of the major piece like the Bishop that can move and capture very far, the Rooks only move Horizontally or Vertically on the chess board.

Here's a visual aid,

these rooks are extremely important because they offer maximum protection for the king, we would get to that.

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:50am On Sep 20, 2017
QUEEN

The ferocious slay QUEEN � this piece is the most powerful and the most dangerous piece on the chess board,
The Queen can move, HORIZONTALLY, VERTICALLY & DIAGONALLY, think of the QUEEN as a Rook & a Bishop, lose other pieces but don't ever lose your Queen carelessly.

If you can capture your opponents queen while you still have yours that's a big advantage in a way.

Here's a visual aid of how the slay Queen move on the chess board.

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:53am On Sep 20, 2017
KING

And the last but not the least, The KING, this is the main reason you are playing chess, to protect the King from any attack,
The King on the chess board doesn't do much but can respond to an attack when his position is threatened.

Here's a visual aid of how the King move on the chess board.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:53am On Sep 20, 2017
KING

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:04am On Sep 20, 2017
The Main Objective- of CHESS is to Check Mate (Capture) your opponents King while protecting your own.
A King is only checkmated when he has no other legal move to make.

While attacking you opponent, be careful not to expose your flanks unnecessarily, and be careful not to lose vital pieces.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:06am On Sep 20, 2017
The first and most important thing to learn in chess is opening, in chess its the White player that goes first.

White is what I play with most times.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:09am On Sep 20, 2017
How to Open. White
You can open with D4 or E4
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:12am On Sep 20, 2017
After opening with Pawn D4 or E5 you should develope your game by bringing out your minor pieces, and your minor pieces are your KNIGHTS & BISHOPS.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:14am On Sep 20, 2017
CASTLING

One of the best way to ensure the King Safety is to castle as soon as possible, you castle with the King and the Rook,
The only way you can castle is when the King and the took are moving for the first time,
If the King or took has made a move already, you can't castle anymore. So always castle on time.

Here's a visual, the pointed arrow shows where the King & took should go next when castling

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:17am On Sep 20, 2017
CENTER
one of the best strategy in chess is to control your center. Don't move pieces more than once unless you have a strong reason to.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 3:37am On Sep 20, 2017
Go to Google Play Store and download these two chess, if you don't want both, I would recommend the white one - Chess 3D because it allows you to change themes ,
Both of them are the same but I prefer Chess 3D.

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Collinz2(m): 8:54am On Sep 20, 2017
Very nice game, i bought chess during may and only one of my friend play it, no one want to play, sometimes after teaching them they loose interest.

2 Likes

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Collinz2(m): 8:56am On Sep 20, 2017
I prefer real chess from playstore with online challenges with human. Am still yet to be cpu in level 7, is like they read your mind.

2 Likes

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:57pm On Sep 20, 2017
Collinz2:
I prefer real chess from playstore with online challenges with human. Am still yet to be cpu in level 7, is like they read your mind.

Don't mind those idiots oh. They always have one special move to counter your moves,

That's why I cheat them alot, if I make a move and I lost a vital piece I would reverse it and play sth else.

Currently I am in Expert Level ( But with Cheating Oh )
Am unable to Pass Expert, the way they use their Queen, Bishops & Knight eh is sth I can't explain.
Beginner - Easy - Medium - Hard - Master - Expert

2 Likes

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 12:59pm On Sep 20, 2017
Collinz2:
Very nice game, i bought chess during may and only one of my friend play it, no one want to play, sometimes after teaching them they loose interest.

The game can be very frustrating, you would be happy that you have a move to kill your opponent , only to commit a blunder.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2017
Before making a move, Pause and think and ask yourself, why exactly am I making such moves, what exactly am I aiming for,
Other wise if you move your piece carelessly, you risk exposing your flanks. Which is bad

1 Like

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Collinz2(m): 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2017
Rick9:

Don't mind those idiots oh. They always have one special move to counter your moves,

That's why I cheat them alot, if I make a move and I lost a vital piece I would reverse it and play sth else.

Currently I am in Expert Level ( But with Cheating Oh )
Am unable to Pass Expert, the way they use their Queen, Bishops & Knight eh is sth I can't explain.
Beginner - Easy - Medium - Hard - Master - Expert
lol. I do use reverse when they caption one of my special piece, and the worst part is when the pin me.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 3:01pm On Sep 20, 2017
Collinz2:
lol. I do use reverse when they caption one of my special piece, and the worst part is when the pin me.
Ahahahahahahahaha Bro there are sometimes I would be blocked I can't move. So that's where sacrifices comes in play.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Collinz2(m): 3:07pm On Sep 20, 2017
Rick9:

Ahahahahahahahaha Bro there are sometimes I would be blocked I can't move. So that's where sacrifices comes in play.
when they block me esp when my queen is in danger i become angry and quit the game. I played with one bros, he use all his pawn to block me i decided to sacrify a pawn but he will just move forward.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 3:08pm On Sep 20, 2017
This is how my chess looks like on my phone, I can switch it to 3D Mode anyway, but it's like I understand it more like this.

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Collinz2(m): 3:11pm On Sep 20, 2017
I prefer the 3D
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 3:47pm On Sep 20, 2017
Ahahahah check out my Games .

Difficulty - HARD

Outcome - It was a Draw STALEMATE

Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 3:49pm On Sep 20, 2017
Collinz2:
when they block me esp when my queen is in danger i become angry and quit the game. I played with one bros, he use all his pawn to block me i decided to sacrify a pawn but he will just move forward.

chess can be frustrating eh.
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by MrReeseG(m): 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
I've got an online chess game on my system... Chess+ is the name, if anyone's game download it and search for me with username "denijis"
Re: CHESS - For Beginners & Pro's. by Rick9(m): 7:50pm On Oct 15, 2017
Computer are so skilled eh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Do You Still Remember These Games? / Video Game Glitches: What Are The Causes? (Graphic Photos) / FIFA Vs Pro Evolution Soccer: Which Soccer Franchise Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.