Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. (2807 Views)

Careers/jobs People Dont Bother To Attend The Interviews / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Don't Bother To Go For Physical Verification If You Are Already Employed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 20, 2017
It's a secret that's not that secret to most job seekers. Just because a position is posted on an organization's human resources portal, and you're invited to interview, doesn't mean you ever had a chance of landing it in the first place.

This is particularly disheartening to witness, especially when candidates apply for positions at colleges and universities—institutions you would hope would hold themselves to higher standards and really walk that talk when it comes to equal opportunity.

At many universities where I've worked as a senior administrator, it was often clear that the in-house candidate was going to get the job, even though the institution's HR policy demanded that a diverse pool of candidates be considered.

At other schools, the hiring manager might be looking for a “type”—for example, a woman to join a department that was predominantly male or a young person to “shake up” a team comprised of “older” staff members. Obviously, that level of specificity would never be included in any list of required or preferred criteria. The fix, however, was in before the process ever got underway.

At some universities, jobs were created specifically for the son or daughter of a powerful local or state politician, or for a friend of a friend of a friend, or as payback for an IOU that came due for a favor extended to someone higher up in the school's administration. And, of course, trustees put forth candidates—and guess who was usually hired when it came down to decision time.

At one school, I was appointed (not asked) to serve on a search committee formed to fill a newly created, highly compensated staff position. When I found out that the daughter of a local state senator was going to be the one hired, no matter who else applied, I said I wouldn't serve. I was then told in no uncertain terms that if I insisted on not serving, I might find myself out of a job. I ended up calling in sick the two times the committee met, the thought of being used as cover for this farce nauseating.

Once, as a member of a search committee, I flagged three really strong external people to interview in addition to the in-house candidate. I was subsequently accused by the hiring manager, a higher level university administrator, of not being a team player. When I protested that each one had much stronger credentials than the colleague who was filling the position on an interim basis, I was told to stop causing trouble and get on board.

I've watched presidents bring over former colleagues and friends to fill key positions in their administrative teams, ignoring the pointed concerns of search committee members who had vetted their credentials and references. I've borne witness to candidates who were hired even after they had lost jobs at other institutions for falsifying their credentials. And I was called on the carpet by the chair of the board of trustees at one school for daring to reference the presidential search committee in a memo he asked me to draft to the university community. It's the presidential selection committee, not search committee, he said angrily. The executive committee of the board had “selected” the new president. There was not going to be a search. This person was getting the job. Period. End of story.

Finally, I will always remember when an influential trustee hijacked a search committee tasked with hiring a new vice president. Significant opposition from key constituencies inside and external to the school was dismissed as immaterial. The trustee made it clear that, as members of the committee, voting no was certainly our prerogative. However, it was also clear that names would be taken--and our opposition noted.

There’s a lot wrong with how we go about writing job descriptions, creating a pool of qualified candidates, interviewing, vetting, and then finally extending an offer—whether the hiring is being done by a university, a corporation, a non-profit, or a government agency.

And I have no doubt that I’ve probably personally benefited from this flawed process. Simply being a woman most likely gave me an edge in several job searches. I know for a fact that being an “older woman” got me the job as a senior administrator at one university; apparently my president and/or colleagues felt more comfortable working with someone closer to their age than with a younger person.

The hiring process is flawed on so many levels. But it's time to take another look at the words “equal opportunity” and ask if they still mean something.

And if colleges and universities especially are walking that talk in their employment processes.

www./behind-scenes-dont-bother-applying-positions-already-filled-hartig

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 20, 2017
I experienced this first hand with a company some months ago. The most annoying part was I tried connecting with the HR weeks aftermy interview but the silly person kept mute until I was able to contact one of the interviewers after about a month directly and then she told me plain that I will not be called. After about 4 months, the silly HR sent a regret mail. I just nodded my head. I was lucky to be in the state where the interview was conducted, sadly, the story was not same for many. Some had to transport themselves and spent about 2 nights at some hotel as it was a 2 day assessment. My question is why organise a fake recruiting exercise when you know you have your candidate already. Why let people waste time and money. Will some of these employers be happy an employee waste their time or do something similar to them. It got me really disappointed. Though my first job was on merit and I didn't know anyone in the firm but this is really what's obtainable with many companies today.... multinationals not an exception.

9 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 21, 2017
in Nigeria this trend is not going away anytime soon. As long as there are more qualified candidates than jobs to be filled, we will continue to see this trend increase.

When the economy becomes stronger and there are more opportunities to go round, this will die a natural death.

So I will say this is a symptom of a much larger problem...bad economy. When the root cause is treated, the symptoms will disappear.

Don't forget too that if the hiring firm just selected their preferred candidate without any sham interview , many Will still complain of not given the "opportunity" to prove themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by edrys(m): 7:27am On Sep 21, 2017
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:00am On Sep 21, 2017
It's really disheartening.
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by deji47: 8:13am On Sep 21, 2017
University of Ilorin comes to mind.

2 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 21, 2017
fury:
in Nigeria this trend is not going away anytime soon. As long as there are more qualified candidates than jobs to be filled, we will continue to see this trend increase.

When the economy becomes stronger and there are more opportunities to go round, this will die a natural death.

So I will say this is a symptom of a much larger problem...bad economy. When the root cause is treated, the symptoms will disappear.

Don't forget too that if the hiring firm just selected their preferred candidate without any sham interview , many Will still complain of not given the "opportunity" to prove themselves.
how about I turn a sham employee and defraud the company. How about I turn a sham employee and create a bad name for them. It's not about complaint, it's about not wasting people's time and money. Time is money. The only way one can prove him or herself is on the job not at an interview. Interview is one of the process and not the end goal. It's just obvious, some businesses are scam from the beginning

1 Like

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Apina(m): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2017
What do u expect from the citizens of a country which has a fraudulent clause in form of "federal character" enshrined in her constitution. Merit has been relegated in favor of ethnicity and relations. Nepotism in Nigeria is legal and that's the reason nothing works in this country.

3 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by mancheeutd(m): 10:43am On Sep 21, 2017
majekdom2:

At many universities where I've worked as a senior administrator, it was often clear that the in-house candidate was going to get the job, even though the institution's HR policy demanded that a diverse pool of candidates be considered.

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by lunacol(m): 11:24am On Sep 21, 2017
majekdom2:
I experienced this first hand with a company some months ago. The most annoying part was I tried connecting with the HR weeks aftermy interview but the silly person kept mute until I was able to contact one of the interviewers after about a month directly and then she told me plain that I will not be called. After about 4 months, the silly HR sent a regret mail. I just nodded my head. I was lucky to be in the state where the interview was conducted, sadly, the story was not same for many. Some had to transport themselves and spent about 2 nights at some hotel as it was a 2 day assessment. My question is why organise a fake recruiting exercise when you know you have your candidate already. Why let people waste time and money. Will some of these employers be happy an employee waste their time or do something similar to them. It got me really disappointed. Though my first job was on merit and I didn't know anyone in the firm but this is really what's obtainable with many companies today.... multinationals not an exception.
Some even travel all the way from a far distance for a job interview, imagine the risk,the stress involved and after performing very well,the organization repay them with regret mails.It's insensitivity to the highest levels.

2 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ammyluv2002(f): 11:31am On Sep 21, 2017
Truly sad!

1 Like

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by jayloms: 11:57am On Sep 21, 2017
God knows I don't respond to every interview invite I receive. Some openings come with the signs that they have been filled if you care to look.

3 Likes

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Jacktheripper: 3:00pm On Sep 21, 2017
See mumu post only a new borm baby isn't aware of this so why wasting your time. Me wey dey expect alert come get notifications from Nairaland e come be this post......... Mtcheeeew

1 Like

Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by mitchel: 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2017
mancheeutd:

[color=#000099][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]exactly what a friend was discussing yesterday about a job recruitment coming soon at the ministry of solid minerals in abuja in fact he told me if i know any geologist/mining that is interested should contact him in as much as the person is willing to pay. whats now all the fuss about all this federal character and fcsc

Good day Mancheeutd. I saw your post about your friend requesting for a geologist or mining enginner in the Ministry of Mines and steel. I am a geologist and I will be grateful if you can connect me with your friend. How can I reach you? my e-mail is luvmitchel|@yahoo.com. Thanks as I anticipate your response.
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by sundaysamuel770: 4:11pm On Sep 21, 2017
mancheeutd:

exactly what a friend was discussing yesterday about a job recruitment coming soon at the ministry of solid minerals in abuja in fact he told me if i know any geologist/mining that is interested should contact him in as much as the person is willing to pay. whats now all the fuss about all this federal character and fcsc

I just come across this now, I'm interested if you can connect me with your friend because I studied geology and mining
please help a brother, u can get me on samuelanzaku770@gmail.com
thanks as am anticipating to hear from you
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by Teacher1776(m): 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2017
mitchel:
[/i]
[/color]

Good day Mancheeutd. I saw your post about your friend requesting for a geologist or mining enginner in the Ministry of Mines and steel. I am a geologist and I will be grateful if you can connect me with your friend. How can I reach you? my e-mail is luvmitchel|@yahoo.com. Thanks as I anticipate your response.

This desperation for a job is exactly the reason job seekers are defrauded on a daily basis.
Please shine your eyes......... There are 419ers everywhere. Do not offer money to anyone before getting a job. Instead, enter into agreement with the person promising to pay up once you start receiving salary.
I have seen many persons who borrowed money to pay someone for a job. At the end, they couldn't get the job. Even their money was not refunded.
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by rukygbas: 5:41pm On Sep 21, 2017
Amazing, How to secretly Check your Name on Npower 2017 List... https://naijacycle.com/how-to-check-your-name-on-npower-2017-list/
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment latter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. shocked
For does of u who claim to have apl snap n post it if its tru. If not piss off!!
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:21pm On Sep 21, 2017
[color=#770077][/color]Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment latter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. shocked
For does of u who claim to have apl snap n post it if its tru. If not piss off!!
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:37pm On Sep 21, 2017
Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment latter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. shocked
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2017
Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment letter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. shocked
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:52pm On Sep 21, 2017
Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment letter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all apl will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. Am shocked
For does of u who claim to have gotten apl snap n post it if its tru. If not piss off!!
Re: Behind The Scenes: Don't Bother Applying. The Position's Already Filled. by ohbros: 7:53pm On Sep 21, 2017
Have been reading peoples comment that they have gotten appointment letter. That's a lie. Apl as not been issued to any body. Cos if it has been issued were I work @ministry of labour n employment we would have noticed new ppl coming to resume. Pls don't give force news. Pls note to all dat care to listen all apl will be issued on or b4 d end of Nov. 2017 so keep ur hands crossed. Best of luck to u all. Am shocked
For does of u who claim to have gotten apl snap n post it if its tru. If not piss off!!

(1) (Reply)

Good Morning, N-teach Beneficiaries Are You Experiencing Any Issues? #npowerng / Latest Recruitment At Prime Atlantic Cegelec Nigeria (PACE) / How To Apply For Ibom Air Jobs And Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.