Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:22 PM

Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. (6532 Views)

Who Do We Believe Here Between Jesus And Paul? / A Question To The Atheists: Hardmirror,hahn,hopefullandlord Et Al / Don't Be Deceived By The Atheists And Other Agents Of Satan. Please Read... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by johnydon22(m): 2:11pm On Sep 21, 2017
Atheist have nothing to gain in tearing down the belief establishment, religions on the other hand has everything to lose. with this in mind arguing against religion may not be a mark of antagonism but rather a bid to address preferential treatments that religions enjoy.

Again God and religion are matters of public concern, anyone who advocate silence of opinions on these subject may do so by been silent to fully demonstrate the effectiveness of silence

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 2:13pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Hich scientific discovery was made as a result of religious progress? What is religious progress?
am surprise you asked this kind of question.......

it is the religion that gave science ideas to look for material cause and not to invoke miracle.

religion start the the creation of universities and libraries where science is learn today.

it contribute to the overall economy.... up until 1850s ,religion provide science with day job so that scientists could do science. funds are raised on behalf of scientist.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 2:16pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You are saying nothing new.

Simply point me to the origin of this God concept which was prior to its acceptance that caused religions to evolve from it in their own way and with their various concepts.

No long grammar Abeg. Simply point me there.

Origin of which God concept? God isn't a single concept as there are many different God concepts. Poly, mono, pantheism etc are some of the various concepts of God. Just name a particular God concept and it's history will reveal the men behind it. Stop trying to spin God as a single concept it isn't that is why there are various Gods and religions. You can keep deliberately trying to misunderstand the point am making just so that you can keep spinning and making your meaningless commentary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 2:20pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:

it is the religion that gave science ideas to look for material cause and not to invoke miracle.

religion start the the creation of universities and libraries where science is learn today.

it contribute to the overall economy.... up until 1850s ,religion provide science with day job so that scientists could do science. funds are raised on behalf of scientist.

Religion gave science which idea to look for material causes and not invoke supernatural when and where?
What are you saying?
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 2:23pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Origin of which God concept? God isn't a single concept as there are many different God concepts. Poly, mono, pantheism etc are some of the various concepts of God. Just name a particular God concept and it's history will reveal the men behind it. Stop trying to spin God as a single concept it isn't that is why there are various Gods and religions. You can keep deliberately trying to misunderstand the point am making just so that you can keep spinning and making your meaningless commentary.

Dalaman you talk a lot yet say nothing in the process.

This your God concept devoid of whatever religious affiliations had a beginning (according to you)

That beginning is what I want to know. I am not interested in the many religious God "ideas" you so desperately want me to shift to. I am only interested in ONE!

THE ORIGIN aka THE SOURCE aka THE FIRST MAN WHO CONCEIVED IT.
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 2:24pm On Sep 21, 2017
Martinez19:
christian and other religious gods = all religious gods. Before foolishness was, you were.

ALL RELIGIOUS GODS = General statement.

Show me the source of the God concept
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 2:26pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Religion gave science which idea to look for material causes and not invoke supernatural when and where?
What are you saying?
are you not getting it or you are doubting it?
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 2:28pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:
are you not getting it or you are doubting it?

He is deliberately acting as if you are not making sense. He does that a lot just to make sense to himself

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 2:28pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Dalaman you talk a lot yet say nothing in the process.

This your God concept devoid of whatever religious affiliations had a beginning (according to you)

That beginning is what I want to know. I am not interested in the many religious God "ideas" you so desperately want me to shift to. I am only interested in ONE!

Which one are you intrested in? Is it Allah, Jesus, Buddah, Ra Amun, Ifa, scientology God Xenu etc which God is the one you are intrested in?
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 2:29pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Which one are you intrested in? Is it Allah, Jesus, Buddah, Ra Amun, Ifa, scientology God Xenu etc which God is the one you are intrested in?

Deliberately cherry picking again ba?

My comment

I am only interested in ONE!

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by 1Sharon(f): 2:40pm On Sep 21, 2017
My bans over
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 3:04pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Deliberately cherry picking again ba?

My comment

Concived of which of the Gods? Allah, Xenu, Brahma, Amun Ra, Ifa, Palangon. Which of the Gods are you interested in?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 3:07pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Concived of which of the Gods? Allah, Xenu, Brahma, Amun Ra, Ifa, Palangon. Which of the Gods are you interested in?

Keep on pretending grin

My question wasn't writing in braille language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Keep on pretending grin

My question wasn't writing in braille language.

Pretending what? I asked a simple question. If you like pretend not to understand it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 3:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Pretending what? I asked a simple question. If you like pretend not to understand it.

You know you can only deceive yourself cheesy

Repeatedly I have said that any and every religion was never a religion at the origination of what you call "the concept of God "

Ideas or concepts are not accepted overnight so you cannot mix the concept with the religion because the concept came first. Also the concept may not have been based on the fostering of religious followership.

So show me the origin of the God concept before it evolved into the various religions.

If after breaking it down again to you like this you still end up asking me to choose which of the religions then you are being deliberately deceptive. Simply say you do not know and not your cheap attempt at blindness to such an obviously self explanatory question

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

You know you can only deceive yourself cheesy

Repeatedly I have said that any and every religion was never a religion at the origination of what you call "the concept of God "

Ideas or concepts are not accepted overnight so you cannot mix the concept with the religion because the concept came first. Also the concept may not have been based on the fostering of religious followership.

So show me the origin of the God concept before it evolved into the various religions.

If after breaking it down again to you like this you still end up asking me to choose which of the religions then you are being deliberately deceptive. Simply say you do not know and not your cheap attempt at blindness to such an obviously self explanatory question

Show you the origin of which God concept? Is it Allah, is it Amun Ra, or Xenu? These three are examples of Gods.Which God concept are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 3:32pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Show you the origin of which God concept? Is it Allah, is it Amun Ra, or Xenu? These three are examples of Gods.Which God concept are you talking about?

As expected grin
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 3:35pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

Let me make it even simpler even though I know it's a vain attempt since you enjoy pretending you do not understand the question grin

Dalaman which came first? The God concept or the God concept AND religion?

Did the God concept cause religion or did religion cause the God concept?

Now pretend you still do not understand the question grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by dalaman: 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Let me make it even simpler even though I know it's a vain attempt since you enjoy pretending you do not understand the question grin

Dalaman which came first? The God concept or the God concept AND religion?

Did the God concept cause religion or did religion cause the God concept?

Now pretend you still do not understand the question grin

And I ask which God are you talking about? Allah, Amun Ra and Xenu are Gods so which God are you talking about knowing that there are various Gods and not one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by STUPUDTHEISTS: 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:

Stop saying nonsense here, we ain't your airheaded church members. What happened after the western Roman Empire collapsed when Christianity — a religion — took over? How about you read up on the dark age — the period Christianity did the most damage to scientific advancement. The dark ages according to historians saw many scientific advancement stymied by Christianity. Where do I start from? Is it the Greco-Roman achievements that were destroyed and lost? — for example the Archimedes codex which contains the greatest scientific treatise of the pagan scientist had it inked words scraped off and reinscribed with hymns to God. Or do I go about the books and libraries that were burned? Are you informed Copernicus feared for his life when he noted that the sun is at the center instead of earth? — reinventing Aristarchus model which was against that of the Bible. He almost gave up publishing his work save for a young aficionado aliased Rheticus who believed the truth lies with science rather than scripture. During the printing of Copernicus's De revolutionibus orbium cælestium, a clergyman inserted some pages which are not of Copernicus to undermine, reta`rd and weaken his work — another blow on scientific advancement. It seems like Copernicus was right for his staunch follower known as Bruno who took up — and adopted — Copernicus model instead of the church's was striped naked, tied and burned to death. And what has this noble man done to attract such barbarism? He simply argued the universe is infinite, stars have their planets and there are lifeforms on these other planets. Do I have to tell the story of Galileo?

What the fu'c`k do you mean by religion advances science?
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflyl1on: 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2017
dalaman:

And I ask which God are you talking about? Allah, Amun Ra and Xenu are Gods so which God are you talking about knowing that there are various Gods and not one.

As expected cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 5:09pm On Sep 21, 2017
STUPUDTHEISTS:

Stop saying nonsense here, we ain't your airheaded church members. What happened after the western Roman Empire collapsed when Christianity — a religion — took over? How about you read up on the dark age — the period Christianity did the most damage to scientific advancement. The dark ages according to historians saw many scientific advancement stymied by Christianity. Where do I start from? Is it the Greco-Roman achievements that were destroyed and lost? — for example the Archimedes codex which contains the greatest scientific treatise of the pagan scientist had it inked words scraped off and reinscribed with hymns to God. Or do I go about the books and libraries that were burned? Are you informed Copernicus feared for his life when he noted that the sun is at the center instead of earth? — reinventing Aristarchus model which was against that of the Bible. He almost gave up publishing his work save for a young aficionado aliased Rheticus who believed the truth lies with science rather than scripture. During the printing of Copernicus's De revolutionibus orbium cælestium, a clergyman inserted some pages which are not of Copernicus to undermine, reta`rd and weaken his work — another blow on scientific advancement. It seems like Copernicus was right for his staunch follower known as Bruno who took up — and adopted — Copernicus model instead of the church's was striped naked, tied and burned to death. And what has this noble man done to attract such barbarism? He simply argued the universe is infinite, stars have their planets and there are lifeforms on these other planets. Do I have to tell the story of Galileo?

What the fu'c`k do you mean by religion advances science?
when I made mention of religion, why do you ascribe it to Christianity alone. why not Islam .Buddha, Shintoism and even African traditional faithful. this is an observed problem. do you have issues with Christianity or religion in general.

many famous and well known scientist are religious........ to the core. I can give names if you want.....

history tell us Egypt is a cradle of civilization. Egypt is a pagan country then before the arrival of Islam. they develop mummification and writing techniques ......... my people here in Nigeria Yoruba tribe have a way of sending letters to each other in medieval period. it is called aroko. all this system were in place within the confine of various religion and their tribe since time memorial. Islam too has its own achievement that science will always thanks .......I will tell you Christianity begat democracy. go back to history ....... read to understand and not to be brainwashed.

this is from a very famous philosopher. "science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind"

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by superhumanist(m): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:
when I made mention of religion, why do you ascribe it to Christianity alone. why not Islam .Buddha, Shintoism and even African traditional faithful. this is an observed problem. do you have issues with Christianity or religion in general.

many famous and well known scientist are religious........ to the core. I can give names if you want.....

history tell us Egypt is a cradle of civilization. Egypt is a pagan country then before the arrival of Islam. they develop mummification and writing techniques ......... my people here in Nigeria Yoruba tribe have a way of sending letters to each other in medieval period. it is called aroko. all this system were in place within the confine of various religion and their tribe since time memorial. Islam too has its own achievement that science will always thanks .......I will tell you Christianity begat democracy. go back to history ....... read to understand and not to be brainwashed.

this is from a very famous philosopher. "science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind"

Excuse me,

Let me point out some flaws in your argument.

1) Science does not need religion. Scientists abroad- UK, USA are more more likely to be atheists.
2) The ancient Greeks started democracy and they were not christians
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by STUPUDTHEISTS: 5:39pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:

This is one of the reasons I barely reply thick-headed and incoherent folks like you. I attacked your claim that religion as a body progresses science by detailing and showing you how it's false. Noting that some famous scientists were religious is irrelevant, invalid and a non sequitur 'cause whatever they did — all their achievements, theories etc — were a product of applications of logic, reason, observation, experimentation and inferences. None of them were able to achieve or propose anything with the aid of religious faith, scriptures or revelations.

When you argue for religion progressing science, you should outline ways in which religion as a body has systematically aided in scientific progression. I centered on Christianity because it's a religion, — the largest as a matter of fact, and also your religion — denying/eliding your religion for her past antagonism to science shows you have no point to make.

Lastly majority of your quotes here are a desperate attempt at red herrings. I can easily refute all but they have no relevance to the discussion. We're not discussing democracy or politics here. Show me how religion embraced, welcomed and aided critical thinking and the scientific method. Simple!

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by redsun(m): 5:56pm On Sep 21, 2017
There is nothing as simple and liberating as saying,I AM.It puts you in the realm of gods where you become the architect of your own destiny and the master of your fate. Where you take responsibilities for your actions and find solutions to problems that bothers not just you but others around you.

It won't be all rosy,but it doable and manageable.Knowledge is the key and as long as one is inquisitive,one will always find answers.
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 6:34pm On Sep 21, 2017
STUPUDTHEISTS:

This is one of the reasons I barely reply thick-headed and incoherent folks like you. I attacked your claim that religion as a body progresses science by detailing and showing you how it's false. Noting that some famous scientists were religious is irrelevant, invalid and a non sequitur 'cause whatever they did — all their achievements, theories etc — were a product of applications of logic, reason, observation, experimentation and inferences. None of them were able to achieve or propose anything with the aid of religious faith, scriptures or revelations.

When you argue for religion progressing science, you should outline ways in which religion as a body has systematically aided in scientific progression. I centered on Christianity because it's a religion, — the largest as a matter of fact, and also your religion — denying/eliding your religion for her past antagonism to science shows you have no point to make.

Lastly majority of your quotes here are a desperate attempt at red herrings. I can easily refute all but they have no relevance to the discussion. We're not discussing democracy or politics here. Show me how religion embraced, welcomed and aided critical thinking and the scientific method. Simple!

stop passing insult to make your case is a way of hiding from the truth. . have I called you names in any of my written. what you are doing is called devilish.

you do not attack my post, you only attack Christianity. which I expose your ignorance by telling you Christianity isn't the only religion . there are more than 400 organized religion and about 1000 unstructured religion......

I post examples of how some people of different race both Christianity and Islam ,pagan started science techniques before the main stream science ...... I except you to defeat that claim.......the argument is still open...

I don't think you even know what you are addressing. the rational behind this topic is to validate the legitimacy of religion as part of human development..... what you term as development today..... be it science and technology or democracy can be attributed to the progress of religion.... unless you claim otherwise.....

3 Likes

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by butterflylion: 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:
stop passing insult to make your case is a way of hiding from the truth. . have I called you names in any of my written. what you are doing is called devilish.

you do not attack my post, you only attack Christianity. which I expose your ignorance by telling you Christianity isn't the only religion . there are more than 400 organized religion and about 1000 unstructured religion......

I post examples of how some people of different race both Christianity and Islam ,pagan started science techniques before the main stream science ...... I except you to defeat that claim.......the argument is still open...

I don't think you even know what you are addressing. the rational behind this topic is to validate the legitimacy of religion as part of human development..... what you term as development today..... be it science and technology or democracy can be attributed to the progress of religion.... unless you claim otherwise.....

Insults make them feel good about their invalid arguments

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 6:45pm On Sep 21, 2017
superhumanist:

Excuse me,

Let me point out some flaws in your argument.

1) Science does not need religion. Scientists abroad- UK, USA are more more likely to be atheists.
2) The ancient Greeks started democracy and they were not christians
wrong assumption you make here.......do you have reliable data to sustained your claim that most scientist abroad are likely atheist? I live in the state of Bavaria so I know what am talking about .

many noble winner are religious and most of them are Europeans.

when I made mention of democracy..... I am talking of today democracy not the Greek version....... today democracy can be attributed to the crisis in Anglican church in England...... there was a political system called liberation.... you can read further online to get what am talking about....

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by STUPUDTHEISTS: 7:30pm On Sep 21, 2017
. Double post
Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by STUPUDTHEISTS: 7:36pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:

Brother I'm getting stoned right now, I don't have any issue with you. I simply described you with those adjectives you termed insults because of your dishonesty, hypocrisy and unwillingness to recant the falsehood cached within your post even in the light of abundant evidence against it. Actually I didn't intend to go back and forth with you 'cause — speaking from experience — nothin' can be so awful and daunting like engaging an intellectually dishonest person or a dogmatic mind. And many of your brethen around here — especially the vocal ones — seems to be proficient in that aspect. I instead quoted you to correct the impression you made that scientific discoveries were made possible/progressed by religion. I only had to show you cases of religion impeding on scientific breakthrough which nullifies your argument. A honest person will refute my arguments if they were untrue or recant his earlier assertion, but you obstinately, cunningly and stupidly brought up irrelevant talk about democracy and ancient Egypt as though they're related to the bone of contention: "most scientific discovery were progressed by religion"

It's funny how you keep latching on paganism like it's the new smoking gun. I always thought you guys argued it was Christianity that aided the progress of science, but you — in a bid to dissociate and avoid the gargantuan evidence stacked against Christianity — dishonesty shifted to paganism — it's okay though. In light of your new stand, I dare you to mention one single scientific breakthrough that was made possible by paganism (not pagans) —religion is an institution not a person. You don't realize how ridiculous your claim is, do you?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by vaxx: 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2017
STUPUDTHEISTS:

Brother I'm getting stoned right now, I don't have any issues with you. I simply described you with those adjectives you termed insults because of your dishonesty, hypocrisy and unwillingness to recant the falsehood cached within your post even in the light of abundant evidence against it. Actually I didn't intend to go back and forth with you 'cause — speaking from experience — nothin' can be so awful and daunting like engaging an intellectually dishonest person or a dogmatic mind. And many of your brethen around here — especially the vocal ones — seems to be proficient in that aspect. I instead quoted you to correct the impression you made that most scientific advancement were made possible/progressed by religion. I simply had to show you cases of religion impeding on scientific breakthrough. A honest person will refute my arguments if they were untrue or recant his earlier assertion but you obstinately, cunningly and stupidly brought up irrelevant talk about democracy and ancient Egypt as though they're related to the bone of contention: "most scientific discovery were progressed by religion."

It's funny how you keep latching on paganism like it's the new smoking gun. I always thought you guys argued it was Christianity that aided the progress of science, but you — in a bid to dissociate and avoid the gargantuan evidence stacked against Christianity — dishonestly shifted to paganism. In light of your new stand, I dare you to mention one single scientific breakthrough that was made possible by paganism. You don't realize how ridiculous your claim is, do you?
lol . Mr foul mouth you will not stopped this devilish act of yours......insulting, insulting insulting. this is an established problem of yours. ....I believe there is solution to it. train yourself on emotional intelligence.

what do you mean by intellectual dishonestly.?.... your claim has been refuted by pointing you to the medieval period.

you couldn't debate the evidence because it is too obvious. you labelled it irrelevant when it is the major bone of discussion.

I taught it is not relevant to tell you who I am. I am not a Christian. I am an African traditional faithful .......

since u posed a questions. I shall address it bit by bit. not minding how you systematically avoid mine.

mordern computer was develop as a result of abacus . a system of calculation in the medieval pagan period of Egypt, likewise mummification and letter post that I earlier made mention.

stupidtheists deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do The Atheists Bother If They Don't Believe? Here Is Why. by STUPUDTHEISTS: 7:47pm On Sep 21, 2017
vaxx:
lol . Mr foul mouth you will not stopped this devilish act of yours......insulting, insulting insulting. this is an established problem of yours. ....I believe there is solution to it. train yourself on emotional intelligence.

what do you mean by intellectual dishonestly.?.... your claim has been refuted by pointing you to the medieval perio

Smoking me a good joint here, I'm not sure I've dissed you yet. What happened during the medieval period. Do I have to remind you I'm not your church brother?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Archaelogical Proofs That The Bible Is Fact Not Fiction / Jesus Told His Disciples To Take A Donkey And Colt Without The Owner's Consent / Christian Lady Cooking Sahur&iftar For A Muslim Brother;islamic Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.