Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,436 members, 7,781,273 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:37 AM

My Cabbage Garden - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cabbage Garden (3183 Views)

Make Money Today From Cabbage Farming Bussiness In Nigeria / How To Start Cabbage Farming Business / Cabbage Farming Is Lucrative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 6:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
This cabbage garden is on a half plot of land- a. The nursery was planted on 4th August. 2017. b. Transplanted them on 17th August. 2017. c. Currently they about 7 weeks old. So how many more weeks will it take before it starts forming round heads.
EXPERTS IN THE HOUSE YOUR ADVISES/ OPINIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Re: My Cabbage Garden by Munzy14(m): 7:03am On Sep 22, 2017
DinoP:
This cabbage garden is on a half plot of land-
a. The nursery was planted on 4th August. 2017.
b. Transplanted them on 17th August. 2017.
c. Currently they about 7 weeks old.
So how many more weeks will it take before it starts forming round heads.

wow impressive!.
Hope your spacing is atleast 50cm apart from each. If your cabbage is the earlier maturity, it will start folding from 58-62days.
If it is the late maturity specie, expect forming of head from 60- 60somethingdays.
goodluck!.
Again intercropping with maize is highly risky because of army warms which is attracted by maize .

1 Like

Re: My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 10:00am On Sep 22, 2017
Thank you @Munzy14. You sound like an expert on this crop.

Pls how can I know the early and late maturing variety?

Again the maize you saw is intended to shield the cabbage from excessing sun because the rain seems to have started subsiding gradual. I even have to irrigate most time.

For the pests that would be attracted by the maize, I make constant use of pesticide to check the pest.

Thanks again. Your idea is highly valued.!
Re: My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 10:11am On Sep 22, 2017
abolaji62:
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit seller/supplier can help you sell your farm crop If you like to patronise with us. you can contact us on 09054589745/08164853900 address: mile12 international market lagos ikorodu road shop 15 lagos

@abolaji62. Thanks for the marketing offer!

The garden is still at a very small scale; besides my location is Ibadan and I don't think it will make economic sense to move small quantity to Mile 12.

I hope to expand if I suceed in this first experiment.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by imhere: 8:49pm On Sep 23, 2017
Good job you are doing. Please, try and keep the update till harvest, thanks.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 6:21pm On Oct 06, 2017
Update on my cabbage garden.

I featured this cabbage garden on 21st sept.

Then it had good prospects but it appears am learning the hard lesson of being a farmer.

The plant actually did well but with the reduction in rainfall and increase in scourging sunshine the crops are beginning to suffer. Meaning that I should have planted earlier in rainy season.

The impact of this is that the cabbage cannot for round head despite the fact that the leaves are doing

see pics

I am currently doing manual irrigation on the garden.

It was a good experience all the same. HOPE TO GET IT RIGHT IN MY NEXT ATTEMPT.

Re: My Cabbage Garden by LucidG(m): 6:37pm On Oct 06, 2017
Relax! Looks like your crops are still looking good. They will form head. Add some level of mulch and keep irrigating as needed. Heads will form �
Re: My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 6:47pm On Oct 06, 2017
Thanks @ lucidg. for the encouraging words.
But menhhh, that manual irrigation ehhhh no be small work.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by aquila3: 8:08pm On Oct 06, 2017
DinoP:
Thanks @ lucidg. for the encouraging words.

But menhhh, that manual irrigation ehhhh no be small work.
weldone bro pls wht variety did you plant and where did you get it.thanks
Re: My Cabbage Garden by DinoP: 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2017
@aquila3, if you look closely at the second to the last pic, you will notice that there are 2 varities- F1 Minotaur and F1 Sultana

I bought them from Technisem shop at Bodija Ibadan.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by aquila3: 2:07am On Oct 07, 2017
DinoP:
@aquila3, if you look closely at the second to the last pic, you will notice that there are 2 varities- F1 Minotaur and F1 Sultana

I bought them from Technisem shop at Bodija Ibadan.
alright
Re: My Cabbage Garden by Munzy14(m): 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2017
DinoP:
Thank you @Munzy14. You sound like an expert on this crop.

Pls how can I know the early and late maturing variety?

Again the maize you saw is intended to shield the cabbage from excessing sun because the rain seems to have started subsiding gradual. I even have to irrigate most time.

For the pests that would be attracted by the maize, I make constant use of pesticide to check the pest.

Thanks again. Your idea is highly valued.!
you welcome. hahaha not an expert per say, just a practical farmer. early heads start folding from 56days or say 60days from planting. most times they are usually small heads abt 500g-900g at maturity. while big heads starts folding from 70days and get to maturity within 3-4 months.
Thanks.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by tpben: 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Nice effort bro and sorry for the eventual loss. It's an experience.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by lalaray: 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2017
@munzy14 pls can I have ur contact pls or reach me via 0833721090. Biko
Re: My Cabbage Garden by aquila3: 3:30pm On Nov 19, 2017
DinoP:
Update on my cabbage garden.

I featured this cabbage garden on 21st sept.

Then it had good prospects but it appears am learning the hard lesson of being a farmer.

The plant actually did well but with the reduction in rainfall and increase in scourging sunshine the crops are beginning to suffer. Meaning that I should have planted earlier in rainy season.

The impact of this is that the cabbage cannot for round head despite the fact that the leaves are doing

see pics

I am currently doing manual irrigation on the garden.

It was a good experience all the same. HOPE TO GET IT RIGHT IN MY NEXT ATTEMPT.

i planted gloria f1 i harvested after 5 month only few are good which is abnormal for cabbage anyway i have learned my lesson pls dont go for technisem seed again just get east-west seed instead.thanks
Re: My Cabbage Garden by tpben: 5:52pm On Nov 19, 2017
aquila3:
i planted gloria f1 i harvested after 5 month only few are good which is abnormal for cabbage anyway i have learned my lesson pls dont go for technisem seed again just get east-west seed instead.thanks

aquila3 can I have your contact number or whatsapp number SIR!!

Thanks in anticipation.

I really need your digit Sir.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by aquila3: 7:05pm On Nov 19, 2017
tpben:

aquila3 can I have your contact number or whatsapp number SIR!!
Thanks in anticipation.
I really need your digit Sir.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by jidestroud(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
DinoP:
This cabbage garden is on a half plot of land-
a. The nursery was planted on 4th August. 2017.
b. Transplanted them on 17th August. 2017.
c. Currently they about 7 weeks old.
So how many more weeks will it take before it starts forming round heads.

Nice one there.

Okay, let's starts from the beginning:
Let's just assume you got the land preparation and planting right. Though, I can see the plants closely packed together.

1. What variety did you plant? This alone would help solve a lot of issues that may later arise as days passes by i.e. Spacing, pests control, excessive heat in the tropics... And it also helps you keep in check if things are going according to plan.

2. Why the intercropping with a heavy feeder? Maize?

3. You also complained about the absence of rain: which I believe could have been factored into your planting time and the variety planted.
I did plant cabbage in the absence of rain and got absolutely a bountiful harvest with manual irrigation as you rightly pointed out.

I most commend your efforts having said the above. Better luck next time.

NOTE: Not all plants can be intercropped together.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by Munzy14(m): 8:58pm On Nov 19, 2017
lalaray:
@munzy14 pls can I have ur contact pls or reach me via 0833721090. Biko
07069500419 DM me on watsaap.
Re: My Cabbage Garden by tpben: 7:09am On Nov 20, 2017
@ jidestroud

Wonderful contribution bro

Can you give more information on variety to go for and pest control.

It will be handy.

Thanks 🙏

(1) (Reply)

Extruded Fish Feed Production (business Plan) / The Use Of Super GRO For Fish Farming / Cashew Seedlings And Useful Information For Cashew Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.