Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,027 members, 7,799,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? (3606 Views)

Edo Groom’s Dance Incurs Oba Of Benin’s Anger As Palace Places Curse / Banyankole Tribe Where Bride's Aunt Has Sex With Groom To Test Sexual Prowess / See The Nigerian Tribe Where Women Don’t Wear Clothes For The Fear Of Death [PIC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 8:00pm On Sep 21, 2017
Straight to the point.

A friend of mine is getting married to a Yoruba girl that he's being in love with over the years.
He finally agreed to walk her up the aisle. Apart from the "crazy" list he was given to procure, he called me to ask if I knew anything about the "Yoruba Culture" that says it is the groom's responsibility to clothe the bride's family on both the traditional and wedding day proper.
I did the little research I could and told him my findings which was a "NO - NO". He relayed same to his bride to be but she hit him back with an argument that it's a tradition and must be kept.
Presently he is threatening to walk away from the whole wedding thing but I asked him not to take any rash decision yet while I enquire further.
So I ask, whether Yoruba or Igbo or even Hausa,
IS IT THE GROOM THAT CLOTHES THE BRIDE'S FAMILY FOR THE WEDDING after the list he's been given to procure?

cc mods:
mynd44
seun
lalasticlala

please help push to front page so a brother doesn't make a mistake.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Kowor(f): 8:02pm On Sep 21, 2017
I don't know. Let's wait for the next commenter. grin
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by duro4chang(m): 8:03pm On Sep 21, 2017
No no no
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Theyveedo(m): 8:03pm On Sep 21, 2017
f
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by xendra: 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2017
i dont know about yoruba' but a family friend did her's sometime ago and yes, it was the groom that bought clothes for her parent.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by thorpido(m): 8:12pm On Sep 21, 2017
No,matter of fact,it's strange to the Yoruba culture.
The bride's family will not only buy their clothes but take care of guests at the reception.
Your friend's bride's family must have a different idea.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by saxwizard(m): 8:17pm On Sep 21, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Sep 21, 2017
I don't know if it is general,but as the groom to be you get the brides parents complete attire for the wedding ceremony. Its done in my side(Delta state-Urhobo to be precise)
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by decatalyst(m): 8:30pm On Sep 21, 2017
Make dem kuku calculate their burial dress join too lipsrsealed

Nah because their child never tey for house.

Irunu buruku undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 8:38pm On Sep 21, 2017
xendra:
i dont know about yoruba' but a family friend did her's sometime ago and yes, it was the groom that bought clothes for her parent.

is it a cultural thing or he did it just to help out?
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by dominique(f): 8:40pm On Sep 21, 2017
I've never heard of such, the guy is marrying into an hungry leeching family.

4 Likes

Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 8:40pm On Sep 21, 2017
hayfay:
I don't know if it is general,but as the groom to be you get the brides parents complete attire for the wedding ceremony. Its done in my side(Delta state-Urhobo to be precise)

Well we're talking about the Yoruba Culture here
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by xendra: 8:40pm On Sep 21, 2017
korel9:

is it a cultural thing or he did it just to help out?
it wasn't to help out, it was demanded. the girl's parent were well to do, not wealthy but they were very ok financially.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 8:41pm On Sep 21, 2017
decatalyst:
Make dem kuku calculate their burial dress join too lipsrsealed

Nah because their child never tey for house.

Irunu buruku undecided

brother easy nah grin
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 8:44pm On Sep 21, 2017
xendra:
it wasn't to help out, it was demanded. the girl's parent were well to do, not wealthy but they were very ok financially.

"Demanded" as in culture? if yes, under which category of demands would you classify that?
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by xendra: 8:54pm On Sep 21, 2017
korel9:

"Demanded" as in culture? if yes, under which category of demands would you classify that?
my dear, na where I know d story reach be dat. if your friend dont want to marry because he dont want to buy cloth he should leave the girl o, person wen go ready buy cloth go come marry her. but in his nxt search make he look out well because some tradition demand worse pass cloth. ...
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Ishilove: 9:49pm On Sep 21, 2017
Sisisioge, what say you?

Acidosis, do Yoruba grooms buy wedding cloth for their prospective in-laws?

Oyb? Bellong?
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by sisisioge: 9:53pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ishilove:
Sisisioge, what say you?

Acidosis, do grooms buy wedding cloth for their prospective in-laws?

Haa! No o. It is not a tradition. However, if the bride's family aren't buoyant enough, the groom can buy it out of his own volition. It is their daughter that would present it to them as it she bought it though. I have seen this happened before.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Acidosis(m): 10:07pm On Sep 21, 2017
Ishilove:
Sisisioge, what say you?

Acidosis, do Yoruba grooms buy wedding cloth for their prospective in-laws?

Oyb? Bellong?

Ishi, I don't follow traditions o, but buying wedding cloth for one's in-law is not a bad idea.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 1:04am On Sep 22, 2017
Acidosis:

Ishi, I don't follow traditions o, but buying wedding cloth for one's in-law is not a bad idea.

The groom isn't challenging it as an idea but the imposition that it's a tradition is what he's trying to clear
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by scholes0(m): 1:05am On Sep 22, 2017
Are the bride's family Paupers? grin
Normally, the Grooms family provide their own clothing, while the family of the Bride provide theirs seperately.

If dem no get money, no be by force to dress in expensive wears.

BUT

If the groom/husband feels like he WANTS TO do it, i.e provide for his bride's family of his own free will, then why not. All na luf cheesy
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 1:10am On Sep 22, 2017
scholes0:
Are the bride's family Paupers? grin
Normally, the Grooms family provide their own clothing, while the family of the Bride provide theirs seperately.

If dem no get money, no be by force to dress in expensive wears.

BUT

If the groom/husband feels like he WANTS TO do it, i.e provide for his bride's family of his own free will, then why not. All na luf cheesy

grin grin
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by hitman2911: 6:22am On Sep 22, 2017
It is not a Yoruba tradition for the groom to buy clothes for the in laws, however some families do make such demands. The common thing is for the couple to get such clothings for the parents on the 2 sides out of their own volition but not forced.
I did not expect my retired in laws and parents to be able to buy their own clothings, so it was factored to be part of our expenses,. Likewise when my siblings got married.
Your friend is likely seen as a jackpot. As you stated they also demanded some other things. God help him.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Agbaletu: 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
korel9,

Can you mention the name of the State and even the city? This is alien to Yoruba tradition.
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by korel9: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Agbaletu:
korel9,

Can you mention the name of the State and even the city? This is alien to Yoruba tradition.

she's from Osun state o
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by baby124: 3:49pm On Sep 22, 2017
korel9:

she's from Osun state o
She's a senseless chick from a hungry family. Beware...
Re: Is It A Yoruba Tradition For The Groom To Buy Clothes For The Bride's Family? by Cuddlebugie(f): 8:22pm On Sep 22, 2017
As you all know, we LIKE TO PARTY. Our wedding ceremonies are very colourful and classy but we are no money-grubbing demons. It is not a Yoruba thing for the groom to buy clothes for the entire village. Haba!
Your friend, the groom is the new Jesus for the bride's family as they've casted ALL their cares upon him. He won't know what hit him when those people are done with him cheesy

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Okrika Virgins Initiation Into Womanhood Ceremony - See Photos / Yoruba Muslims Are So Nice / Hystory Of Onitsha By Chika Abanobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.