Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,478 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Andre Ward, Boxing’s Pound-for-pound World No1, Announces Shock Retirement - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Andre Ward, Boxing’s Pound-for-pound World No1, Announces Shock Retirement (381 Views)

Gomes Announces Shock Retirement Ahead Of World Cup Qualifer Against Nigeria / Andre Gomes Injured, Leg Breaks, Players Devastated (Photos) / Luxurious Lifestyle Of Andre Ayew, Ghanaian Blackstar Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Andre Ward, Boxing’s Pound-for-pound World No1, Announces Shock Retirement by stevenzo: 6:27am On Sep 22, 2017
Andre Ward, boxing’s pound-for-pound world No1, announces shock retirement

Undefeated pound-for-pound king announces his retirement at 33
Ward says ‘my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport’
Olympic champion had not lost as a pro or amateur since he was 13

Andre Ward, the unified light heavyweight champion widely recognized as the world’s top pound-for-pound boxer, announced his retirement from the sport on Thursday.
The Olympic champion attributed a physical toll and waning desire to his decision to walk away at the relatively young age of 33.
“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” Ward said in a statement on his website. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”

Ward (32-0, 16 KOs) was coming off an eighth-round knockout of Russia’s Sergey Kovalev in June, a rematch of their November bout which the American won by a controversial unanimous decision. Those pay-per-view fights came after a host of injuries and a promotional spat that conspired to limit him to four fights in the previous 50 months.Read more...http://www.newsyvoice.com/andre-ward-announces-shock-retirement-boxings-pound/

Re: Andre Ward, Boxing’s Pound-for-pound World No1, Announces Shock Retirement by Ibj50(m): 6:36am On Sep 22, 2017
hmmm what do we make of this.. retiring a champion I guess
Re: Andre Ward, Boxing’s Pound-for-pound World No1, Announces Shock Retirement by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 22, 2017
Attention seeker oshi.

He knows he is not a credible champion. After that dubious decision against Kovalev, the next contender will send this fool to the cleaners.

Americans and their fraudulent quest to maintain global domination.

(1) (Reply)

WWE No Mercy / Tim Cahill Ends Syria’s World Cup Dreams / Reminscing On The Milan Derby‎(for Football Fans Only) By Simon Utsu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.