Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,627 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs (38905 Views)

Door Attendant At An Eatery Dances At Door While Doing His Job / 5 Reason Why Freelancing Is Better Than A Full-time Job - Nigeriaonlinebusiness / 8 ICT Skills In Nigeria And Their Learning Tools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by EdoBoy90(m): 6:34pm On Sep 22, 2017
mykh01:
Op can you please help me out, am a fresh graduate awaiting call up letter, av been idle for a while now and am really interested in this ICT of a thing.

if you have money, check Cisco Certified Network Associate. they are the best in the industry. acceptable worldwide.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by goldenceo1: 6:38pm On Sep 22, 2017
immediately I started reading I know this must be another B.bushboy write up. at the end it shall all end in advert for iiht or one of this top IT firm.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by EdoBoy90(m): 6:41pm On Sep 22, 2017
BamBella:

Hello.
I'm a graduate of production engineering and currently doing my one year mandatory national youth service. I intend studying computer networking in your organization, do you currently have a branch in port Harcourt? If yes, please kindly post your address. Thank you.

pls my fellow, if you have the money, check
Cisco Certified Network Associate. just google it. the solution to your question is there
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by EdoBoy90(m): 6:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
BamBella:

Good evening.

I'm a graduate of production engineering and currently doing my one year mandatory national youth service in Port Harcourt, Rivers state. I intend learning computer networking(CCNA, CCNP and all). Do you have any recommendations for me regarding where I can learn the skill?

Google Cisco Certified Network Associate and learn with them if you have the money.

thank me later.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by attention007(m): 7:01pm On Sep 22, 2017
yinkeys:

Lol. For personal reasons I stopped @ web design/Wordpress. Anything involving HTML in my business, I'd simply outsource the job.
For me I just feel I'm too old to learn web development, when kids of 15 are on it.

Am venturing into web development. Still working on it though but right now am working with WordPress but I have worked with asp before but not an expert
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

Your location should influence that.
Serving at Sango ota, Ogun state........ close to Lagos though
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Ehibiggirl(f): 7:15pm On Sep 22, 2017
BamBella:

Hello.
I'm a graduate of production engineering and currently doing my one year mandatory national youth service. I intend studying computer networking in your organization, do you currently have a branch in port Harcourt? If yes, please kindly post your address. Thank you.
and lekki Lagos
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by simiolu1(m): 7:30pm On Sep 22, 2017
vivalavida:

Is Oracle database well used in Nigeria?
I studied Oracle database but so far so good I haven't seen much to do with it. If u see jobs, it will be faculty jobs from the likes of Aptech for their oracle faculty

The problem with a lot of training programs in this country is that students are not given proper orientation. That is why I like foreign training programs. Before you start a course, you should be told the things you must know, the things you should know and the things that are nice to know.

For instance, if you have no knowledge of what a database is and what database management systems are, you have no business learning Oracle. You should be well grounded in the principles of databases, database design and implementation first before learning about a specific database engine.

Oracle is a database software by Oracle. It is usually used by enterprise companies because it comes with a hefty price tag. The reason it is not so common is that there are Open Source (free) alternatives that would do the job quite well. Some include MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL etc.

If you had the fundamental knowledge of databases, learning a new software to manage a database or a new database engine would be a walk in the park. For instance, I use MySQL engine for programming. To manage the engine, I have about four software installed on my laptop: PhpMyAdmin, HeidiSQL, DBForgeStudio and MySQL Workbench. They all do practically the same thing but have their use cases. One engine; four softwares.

So my brother; go learn about databases; know how to design a database schema from the ground up. Learn about relationships between data entities and how they can be modelled; learn about normalization and optimization. When you know all these; then go relearn Oracle, MySQL, SQL; NoSQL and learn how to write queries!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by uchman46(m): 7:40pm On Sep 22, 2017
Am a graduate of criminology and security studies a Master's in peace and conflict resolution.. What ICT would you suggest?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by attention007(m): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
uchman46:
Am a graduate of criminology and security studies a Master's in peace and conflict resolution.. What ICT would you suggest?

What's your passion in the ICT field
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by attention007(m): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2017
simiolu1:

The problem with a lot of training programs in this country is that students are not given proper orientation. That is why I like foreign training programs. Before you start a course, you should be told the things you must know, the things you should know and the things that are nice to know.

For instance, if you have no knowledge of what a database is and what database management systems are, you have no business learning Oracle. You should be well grounded in the principles of databases, database design and implementation first before learning about a specific database engine.

Oracle is a database software by Oracle. It is usually used by enterprise companies because it comes with a hefty price tag. The reason it is not so common is that there are Open Source (free) alternatives that would do the job quite well. Some include MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL etc.

If you had the fundamental knowledge of databases, learning a new software to manage a database or a new database engine would be a walk in the park. For instance, I use MySQL engine for programming. To manage the engine, I have about four software installed on my laptop: PhpMyAdmin, HeidiSQL, DBForgeStudio and MySQL Workbench. They all do practically the same thing but have their use cases. One engine; four softwares.

So my brother; go learn about databases; know how to design a database schema from the ground up. Learn about relationships between data entities and how they can be modelled; learn about normalization and optimization. When you know all these; then go relearn Oracle, MySQL, SQL; NoSQL and learn how to write queries!

Nice write up

Will love to discuss ICT with u
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 22, 2017
goldenceo1:
immediately I started reading I know this must be another B.bushboy write up. at the end it shall all end in advert for iiht or one of this top IT firm.
is iiht a scam?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 22, 2017
EdoBoy90:

Google Cisco Certified Network Associate and learn with them if you have the money.

thank me later.
google is bringing vague results...how much z it?..is it better than iiht?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by bizza45: 8:05pm On Sep 22, 2017
uchman46:

nwanne go and learn hardware, or networking , IP camera fixing , motion and smoke detector .... that goes in hand with your field

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by bizza45: 8:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
graphic design not my line... i don't know y I hate that part of ict with passion ... am good @ programming with Php and java.. am also good with networking , and hardware maintenance and also good in web designing using ONLY JOOMLA AND ADOBE FLASH ..... BUT when it comes to graphic design all I c d tutors speaking Japanese not English cos that how it sounds in my ear ... ordinary Corel draw I no sabi not to talk of Photoshop or fiver
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by goldenceo1: 8:12pm On Sep 22, 2017
thanta:
is iiht a scam?

Nope my dear, infact iiht is among the top three IT training centre in Nigeria presently. the thread is only part of their marketing strategy here....

Note: my observations are personal
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by learner007(m): 8:15pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:
12th of July 2014 I passed out from service. My friend with whom I was staying with, spent her service year with some ICT schools in Ibadan to learn ICT skills, while I stayed behind. She later got a top job while I managed with a small secondary school. I later moved to Lagos and got a job as an Admin person with a small hotel.

About a year later, I got a Teller Job with a new generation bank and I was working my ass off with a small paycheck. My other friend was already attending conferences and posting all sort of executive pictures online (It was so intimidating). The sacking spree then started in most banks, and I was affected. But I discovered that the I.T guys at the backroom were always confident despite lots of sacks going on. “Why can’t I be like them?” I asked myself. “Do they have 2 heads?” I asked again.

Currently I am working with a big ISP firm in Lagos and I am doing wonderfully well in terms of Finance. I don’t write this post to show off but to tell other people reasons why they should learn ICT skills even if their job role is not related!

So many Job opportunities

God knows that this month alone, I have seen countless number of Digital Marketing jobs, Software Development Jobs, Hardware and Brand Communication jobs. But I come up this forum and still see people begging for jobs. ICT is like a virgin field in Nigeria, yet to be crowded (I tell you from experience) unless you don’t know your skill well. I am already thinking of attending Digital Marketing Training, just in case my present employer messes up or I see a higher job offer (As I intend to leave the country and become a full digital Marketer like Click here to see how it was explained in this Post You also see reasons to learn ICT skills?

Peace of Mind

Even if you are sacked today, a competitor is waiting to utilize your ICT skill. A Digital Marketer with Pepsi can easily switch to Coca-cola with ease, even if the post isn’t vacant. A Network Engineer with Cobranet can switch to IPNX, even if they don’t advertise the position. Which other job sector can afford you that privilege?

Multiple Job Roles

Only ICT jobs gives you the priviledge of handling two or more jobs at the same time. During my learning period, I was a bank teller but also carry out networking jobs during weekends. I know how many times I collected sick leave just to help set up a CBT center in Lagos. The revenue was 2x my monthly salary. As a H.R person, can you handle more than two job roles at once? Hell NO!

But Imagine if you had a skill like – let’s say Digital Marketing alongside your H.R skills, can’t you help manage someone’s business online while you do your day job? We have to open our eyes to the fact that ICT rules!!!

Utility Staff

They will marvel at how a Teller girl could offer Networking advice to our Engineers. They wanted to retain me, but someone was offering a higher pay. I have knowledge of accounting, I am a Network Engineer and I am about to learn More. Call me a jack of a trade – no problems, but I am a master of all.

Higher Pay

A small Business man or Enterpreneur with Digital Marketing knowledge and the one without, who would generate a higher revenue? A H.R person with Oracle Database Administrator skill and the one without, who will get a higher pay?

An accountant who can develop a solution to help solve a problem in his firm and the one who is only an End user, who will get a higher pay?

If nothing else would convince you to learn ICT skills, I hope this will convince you.

Steps to take to learn ICT skills

i) Determine what skill would help you achieve any of the following above

ii) Choose where to learn

iii) Pay and start – it might be expensive or might not be, but it is worth every penny.

iv) Graduate and start living your dreams.

Questions about the right skill? please use the comment section and I will respond. Thanks.

Originally written by Tessygirl

Source: http://topwritersden.com/reason-learn-ict-skills-jobs/

cc: lalasticlala please find this post worth. Thanks. Let's others who might not be aware exposure about the I.T field.

I am a maths education graduate but I have a thing for ICT IN teaching. But I think I can do better. Can you help me with useful ICT course that I can invest my time in. I have time but my fear is always that I don't have any ICT related experience and that can hamper my chances of getting a job after doing an ICT course. Waiting ringers from u
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by learner007(m): 8:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:
12th of July 2014 I passed out from service. My friend with whom I was staying with, spent her service year with some ICT schools in Ibadan to learn ICT skills, while I stayed behind. She later got a top job while I managed with a small secondary school. I later moved to Lagos and got a job as an Admin person with a small hotel.

About a year later, I got a Teller Job with a new generation bank and I was working my ass off with a small paycheck. My other friend was already attending conferences and posting all sort of executive pictures online (It was so intimidating). The sacking spree then started in most banks, and I was affected. But I discovered that the I.T guys at the backroom were always confident despite lots of sacks going on. “Why can’t I be like them?” I asked myself. “Do they have 2 heads?” I asked again.

Currently I am working with a big ISP firm in Lagos and I am doing wonderfully well in terms of Finance. I don’t write this post to show off but to tell other people reasons why they should learn ICT skills even if their job role is not related!

God knows that this month alone, I have seen countless number of Digital Marketing jobs, Software Development Jobs, Hardware and Brand Communication jobs. But I come up this forum and still see people begging for jobs. ICT is like a virgin field in Nigeria, yet to be crowded (I tell you from experience) unless you don’t know your skill well. I am already thinking of attending Digital Marketing Training, just in case my present employer messes up or I see a higher job offer (As I intend to leave the country and become a full digital Marketer like Click here to see how it was explained in this Post You also see reasons to learn ICT skills?

Peace of Mind

Even if you are sacked today, a competitor is waiting to utilize your ICT skill. A Digital Marketer with Pepsi can easily switch to Coca-cola with ease, even if the post isn’t vacant. A Network Engineer with Cobranet can switch to IPNX, even if they don’t advertise the position. Which other job sector can afford you that privilege?

Multiple Job Roles

Only ICT jobs gives you the priviledge of handling two or more jobs at the same time. During my learning period, I was a bank teller but also carry out networking jobs during weekends. I know how many times I collected sick leave just to help set up a CBT center in Lagos. The revenue was 2x my monthly salary. As a H.R person, can you handle more than two job roles at once? Hell NO!

But Imagine if you had a skill like – let’s say Digital Marketing alongside your H.R skills, can’t you help manage someone’s business online while you do your day job? We have to open our eyes to the fact that ICT rules!!!

Utility Staff

They will marvel at how a Teller girl could offer Networking advice to our Engineers. They wanted to retain me, but someone was offering a higher pay. I have knowledge of accounting, I am a Network Engineer and I am about to learn More. Call me a jack of a trade – no problems, but I am a master of all.

Higher Pay

A small Business man or Enterpreneur with Digital Marketing knowledge and the one without, who would generate a higher revenue? A H.R person with Oracle Database Administrator skill and the one without, who will get a higher pay?

An accountant who can develop a solution to help solve a problem in his firm and the one who is only an End user, who will get a higher pay?

If nothing else would convince you to learn ICT skills, I hope this will convince you.

iii) Pay and start – it might be expensive or might not be, but it is worth every penny.

Questions about the right skill? please use the comment section and I will respond. Thanks.

cc: lalasticlala please find this post worth. Thanks. Let's others who might not be aware exposure about the I.T field.

I am a maths education graduate but I have a thing for ICT IN teaching. But I think I can do better. Can you help me with useful ICT course that I can invest my time in. I have time but my fear is always that I don't have any ICT related experience and that can hamper my chances of getting a job after doing an ICT course. Waiting To Read from u
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by DonTim1: 8:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
17 years down the road and my only regret is starting late, If you are into IT, you know you are not working but getting paid to have fun enjoying what you do!
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by bizza45: 8:20pm On Sep 22, 2017
iiht are damn expensive, afrihub or aptech seems cheaper to me when I went for enquiries oo, nothing is as good as self tutorial... if u don't understand any part, sleep and starting dreaming about any possible solutions for d problem , wake in d morning and try any solution u dream about

1 Like

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by bizza45: 8:25pm On Sep 22, 2017
learner007:

I am a maths education graduate but I have a thing for ICT IN teaching. But I think I can do better. Can you help me with useful ICT course that I can invest my time in. I have time but my fear is always that I don't have any ICT related experience and that can hamper my chances of getting a job after doing an ICT course. Waiting To Read from u

go to learnerstv.com, u go c enough course na u go begin run ... but if I will advise u , go and learn networking IP configuration e go make sense for u
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by goldenceo1: 8:27pm On Sep 22, 2017
thanta:
google is bringing vague results...how much z it?..is it better than iiht?

Cisco is the name of a leading multinational technology company in the world, Cisco is located in San Jose, California, USA. The Cisco certified network associate stands for CCNA in the computer word which literally means been certified by Cisco.
You can only learn the certified network associate (ccna) and ccnp as a program. upon completion of such program from any training centre in Nigeria you can apply for Cisco professional exam to become Cisco certified. the Cisco certified is just to rank you top among equals.
iiht don't issue Cisco certificate, they only train you just like every other company in the world.

I hope this help.....
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Ebubeslym(m): 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2017
tessygirl:

Peace of Mind

Multiple Job Roles

Utility Staff

Higher Pay

I'm a graduate of civil engineering
currently serving.
which skill should I go for?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Paulagada: 8:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
Can you please list all the ICT courses that that one can possibly learn?
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by BamBella(m): 9:02pm On Sep 22, 2017
EdoBoy90:

thank me later.

Thanks bro!
I appreciate your response. God bless!
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by tessygirl(f): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2017
Ebubeslym:

currently serving.

ICT doesn't discriminate.

Regardless of your B.sc cert, you can fit into any course.

Depending on your location, Networking, Digital Marketing, Software Development, and Hardware Engineering are good prospects
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Tex42(m): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
EdoBoy90:

thank me later.
Sorry! But do u mean learn online?

I am also interested in networking, want to start off with CCENT... What advice would u give to a newbie.

How do u suggest I go about getting the right training. I also need guidance on how to get the certification.

Will appreciate whatever u offer in the form of advice/mentorship.

... If u don't mind, I will like to keep in touch with u.

My whatsapp contact:07066580951

God bless!
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by tessygirl(f): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2017
learner007:

It doesn't discriminate.

ICT courses like Hardware Engineering, Digital Marketing are hot courses now!!
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Kamxin(m): 9:08pm On Sep 22, 2017
Ebubeslym:

currently serving.

Frame Design , AutoCad , Autodesk Force Effect, Rendvit etc

It is a must learn

1 Like

Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by tessygirl(f): 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
arowtop:

Serving at Sango ota, Ogun state........ close to Lagos though

Great

Software Development and Digital Marketing are so hot in Lagos now.

I saw an Advert on the blog I wrote for, you can check it out as I would be attending also.

Goodluck dear.
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by tessygirl(f): 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2017
BamBella:

Good evening.

I'm a graduate of production engineering and currently doing my one year mandatory national youth service in Port Harcourt, Rivers state. I intend learning computer networking(CCNA, CCNP and all). Do you have any recommendations for me regarding where I can learn the skill?

I don't know a thing about P.H.

All I know is Lagos and Ibadan
Re: 5 Reason You Should Learn ICT Skills While Doing Other Jobs by Tex42(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2017
EdoBoy90:

thank me later.
EdoBoy90:

thank me later.
Sorry! But do u mean learn online?

I am also interested in networking, want to start off with CCENT... What advice would u give to a newbie.

How do u suggest I go about getting the right training. I also need guidance on how to get the certification.

Will appreciate whatever u offer in the form of advice/mentorship.

... If u don't mind, I will like to keep in touch with u.

My whatsapp contact:07066580951

God bless!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why I resigned my bank Job for bread-hawking -HND Holder / Please Advise Me, I Am At Cross Roads On What To Do / Tony Elumelu: The Sales Boy Turned Billionaire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.