Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie (701 Views)

My 4-Year-Old Daughter Keeps Telling Mysterious Stories About Her Past Life / Ghana Woman Slaps Husband On Live Radio For Revealing She Keeps Faeces In Room / Chimamanda Adichie: A Crude Brand Of Feminism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie by jejemanito: 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2017
Don't argue. Throw your whole existence into a kaleidoscope, rotate it in virtually every angle you deem fit and an overwhelming percentage of the time will leave you staring at the fact that the basic nature of what formed your current adult adventure in this bloody world stems almost entirely from your childhood experiences.

Especially those that stuck.

And you know what? Separating the feeling that bellows off the steamy surface of your childhood from emotions is impossible. Except you're a Kryptonite.

One more fact about emotions: there are the proud parents of illogical reasoning.

So when next you see Chimamanda Adichie make comments that throws you into bouts of WTF?, do well to remember the story below that gave birth to this 21st century madness.

Now, here’s a story from my childhood. When I was in primary school, my teacher said at the beginning of term that she would give the class a test, and whoever got the highest code would be the class monitor. Now, class monitor was a big deal. If you were a class monitor, you got to write down the names of noise-makers, which was heady enough power in its own. But my teacher would also give you a cane to hold in your hand while you walked around and patrolled the class for noise-makers. Now, of course you were not actually allowed to use the cane, but it was an exciting prospect for the 9-year-old me. I very much wanted to be the class monitor, and I got the highest score on the test. Then to my surprise my teacher said that the monitor had to be a boy. She had forgotten to make that clear earlier because she assumed it was obvious. A boy had the second highest score on the test and he would be monitor. Now what was even more interesting about this is that the boy was a sweet gentle soul who had no interest in patrolling the class with a cane. While I was full of ambition to do so. But I was female and he was male, and so he became the class monitor. And I’ve never forgotten that incident
Re: The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie by jejemanito: 3:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
NB: Nobody supports the class teacher's deed. All we're saying is that Chimamanda should grow up.

Every honest and sane being know the above scenario can never play out in Nigeria again.

It was the time of blindness and backward thinking.

She should grow up.
Re: The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie by Oche211(m): 3:14pm On Sep 22, 2017
jejemanito:
NB: Nobody supports the class teacher's deed. All we're saying is that Chimamanda should grow up.

Every honest and sane being know the above scenario can never play out in Nigeria again.

It was the time of blindness and backward thinking.

She should grow up.
you are absolutely right.
Chimamanda has a lot of growing up to do.
Incidents like that cannot play out in our world today.
Moreover, that decision was solely her teacher's own alone and the teacher was even a female. It wasn't that the society or the school management screamed at the top of their voices that "A GIRL CAN'T BE A CLASS CAPTAIN".
I'm very sure that there would have been female class captains/monitors in other classes during time in that school.

1 Like

Re: The Memory That Keeps Hunting Chimamanda Adichie by LordIsaac(m): 3:17pm On Sep 22, 2017
Anɗ then all men must suffer for that psychological offence? Well, let me eɗucate her. Nigeria is still 300 years behinɗ civillization. I implore her to remember that no human lives for even 200years.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Man Encourages Wife To Jump Off Plane After Sabotaging Her Parachute / ‘the Lord Said’ - Married Man Dies After Wife Fled To Marry A Wealthy Man / Nigerian Lady Shares Beautiful Memory Of Her Father And It'll Move You To Tears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.