Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:25 PM

Healthy Weight Reduction After Birth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Healthy Weight Reduction After Birth (365 Views)

Man Abandons Wife After Birth Of Conjoined Twins In Imo (pic) / Chinese Baby Infected With Coronavirus 30 Hours After Birth / Newborn Baby Grabs Doctor's Shirt And Refuses To Let Go Seconds After Birth (Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Healthy Weight Reduction After Birth by JUSTsoOk(m): 8:50am On Sep 23, 2017
When can I start to lose weight?
How can I lose weight safely?
What exercise can I do as a new mum?
How many calories do I need each day?
Why is it important to lose excess weight after having a baby?
Will breastfeeding help me lose weight?
When will my body be back to normal?

When can I start to lose weight?
Your body needs time to recover from having your baby. So your midwife probably won’t recommend that you go on a diet straight after you’ve given birth.

It’s always sensible to eat healthily, though, and this doesn’t change when you’ve just had a baby. You can also start gentle exercise in the early weeks after your baby’s birth.

Your postnatal check will usually happen between six weeks and eight weeks after you’ve had your baby. It’s a good time to talk to your GP or practice nurse about your weight, if it’s concerning you. If you need help to lose weight, your GP can refer you to a dietitian.

How can I lose weight safely?
Eat healthily, drink water throughout the day to stay well hydrated, and choose healthy snacks.

These habits will give you the energy you need now that you have a baby, as well helping you to lose weight at a steady pace:

Make time for breakfast in the morning.

Eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day.

Include plenty of fibre-rich foods such as oats, beans, lentils, grains and seeds in your meals.

Include starchy foods such as bread, rice and pasta (preferably wholegrain varieties for added fibre) in every meal. These are carbohydrates, and should make up about a third of each meal.

Go easy on fatty and sugary foods, takeaways, fast food, sweets, cakes, biscuits, pastries and fizzy drinks.

Watch your portion sizes at mealtimes, and the number and type of snacks you eat between meals.

Combining healthy eating with exercise works best, because it helps you to lose fat instead of lean tissue.

You will also get fitter and have more energy if you exercise. Your midwife or health visitor can give you information about what’s available in your area to help you get active and lose weight.

What exercise can I do as a new mum?
Finding the time to fit exercise into your daily life, now that you have a newborn, can be tricky. But it is possible. As soon as you feel up to it, you can start gentle exercise, including:

pelvic floor exercises (Kegels)

walking

stretching

However, wait six weeks or so, or until you feel that you’ve recovered from the birth, before doing harder exercise.

Take your baby for longer walks in her pushchair, and step up the pace, or try a pram-based exercise class. You may have a Buggyfit class or similar activity running in a park near you.

Read more on Healthy weight reduction after birth
Healthy weight reduction after birth - http://justsook.com/healthy-weight-reduction-after-birth/?utm_source=WhatsApp&utm_medium=IM&utm_campaign=share button

(1) (Reply)

With Education And Information, Abortion And Other Sexual Problems Will Be Reduc / The Truth About CLA Safflower Oil And Weight Loss / What Can You Do To Stay Motivated In Making The Right Health Decisions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.