Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors (2895 Views)

Ex US Army Chief Says Nigeria, Boko Haram Not Usa's Priority / Malian Rebels Seen In Nigeria - Army Chief / Jonathan Retains Ihejirika As Army Chief In Military Shake Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by enohj2ee(m): 4:27pm On Mar 03, 2010
The Nigerian army chief has ruled out a possible military takeover, as Nigeria grapples with a new leadership crisis after the surprise return of ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua.

Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Dambazzau has moved to reassure the 150 million Nigerians that the army has no intention of returning to politics, in the wake of concerns of a power struggle in Africa's most populous nation.

The intense debate and intrigue surrounding Mr. Yar'Adua's return have prompted fears of an army coup that might return Nigeria to the military dictatorship that existed before 1999.

General Dambazzau says a political solution remains the best option for Nigeria.

"It is a difficult period for everybody, but we believe that it is a political thing.  We are not politicians.  We are military professionals and we are determined to remain so. Nobody, no matter what no matter the effort, will drag us into it," he said.

President Umaru Yar'Adua returned to the country a week ago, after leaving for medical treatment in Saudi Arabia, three months ago.  The Nigerian leader has not been seen in public for more than three months and there have been no official reports on his health.

Indications are that he is too ill to govern, raising fears of a power struggle between his aides and acting President Goodluck Jonathan.

An Abuja-based lawyer has filed a legal action to force the ailing president to appear before the media and prove the state of his health.

Nigeria has a long history of coups and military leadership, and only returned to civilian rule about a decade ago.

Source: Voice of America please
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 4:30pm On Mar 03, 2010
I wont be surprised, if he is the same guy leading the coup to be
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Beaf: 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2010
Source! angry

If you don't provide a source, it will be assumed that you forged this story.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 4:32pm On Mar 03, 2010
Beaf:

Source! angry

If you don't provide a source, it will be assumed that you forged this story.

True dat
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by sofadj(m): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2010
First rule of coup: never be suspected
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Mar 03, 2010
sofa-dj:

First rule of coup: never be suspected

Thank, major general
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 03, 2010
This is no longer news, those of us in Lagos has been seeing the news since 9.00 am this morning; where they show the general addressing the media.

But I think for the general to come on air shows that the coup is possibly in the process.

If nothing is done to address this issue fast, I'm sure the khaki guys might seize the power again, don't be surprise.

To me the ONLY lasting solution to the problem called Nigeria is to 'un-Luggard' it and move forward. Though it seems to be an impossible task but I bet you all - it is the only true solution.

Anyone on my side cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ Larrymilla, seconded!
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by ROBEN(m): 7:28pm On Mar 03, 2010
larrymilla:

This is no longer news, those of us in Lagos has been seeing the news since 9.00 am this morning; where they show the general addressing the media.

But I think for the general to come on air shows that the coup is possibly in the process.

If nothing is done to address this issue fast, I'm sure the khaki guys might seize the power again, don't be surprise.

To me the ONLY lasting solution to the problem called Nigeria is to 'un-Luggard' it and move forward. Though it seems to be an impossible task but I bet you all - it is the only true solution.

I totally agree with you. The entity called nigeria is a fraud or what I may call marriage of strange bed fellows. We are not one nation and can never be. We have been managing and comprising to remain one but it doesnt seem to be working. I think a referendum should be passed by our so called dis"honorable" members if we should continue being one.

Sorry pls before U call me a racist or tribalist, its just a piece of my mind
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 7:34pm On Mar 03, 2010
Time will tell
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Tarmpa: 7:54pm On Mar 03, 2010
larrymilla:

Yes oo, I'm on your side all the way,i've been thinking of this lately, Hmn they better act fast oo because military rule is'nt going to be the best for this country.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 7:57pm On Mar 03, 2010
Tarmpa:

Yes oo, I'm on your side all the way,i've been thinking of this lately, Hmn they better act fast oo because military rule is'nt going to be the best for this country.

Could it get worse than what we already have?
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 7:58pm On Mar 03, 2010
Military man ruled for the last 8 years under the pretense of democracy, we have a lot of military lined up to wanna rule in agbada, so what difference would it make?
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by MrCrackles(m): 8:19pm On Mar 03, 2010
Source please. . .
Military and present day democracy in Nigeria undecided
I doubt it will ever work. . .
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 8:25pm On Mar 03, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I wont be surprised, if he is the same guy leading the coup to be
lol
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 03, 2010
MrCrackles:

Source please. . .
Military and present day democracy in Nigeria undecided
I doubt it will ever work. . .

Democracy in Nigeria?
What democracy
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by MrCrackles(m): 8:29pm On Mar 03, 2010
GenBuhari:

Democracy in Nigeria?
What democracy
Thank you. . . .I forgot there is no democracy in Nigeria!!! grin
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 03, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Military man ruled for the last 8 years under the pretense of democracy, we have a lot of military lined up to wanna rule in agbada, so what difference would it make?

And another one is warming up for 2011! How far r we going to go with this??

I'm praying hard for US '04 prophecy to come alive soonest, bloodlesly!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by mimiiii: 8:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
we are in 2010 and we are been fooled to bad,
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by supereagle(m): 9:19pm On Mar 03, 2010
Do not listen to him, his boys can plan without his knowledge. It happened in Sagari's time. Then COAS was not aware of it.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Fhemmmy: 9:44pm On Mar 03, 2010
supereagle:

Do not listen to him, his boys can plan without his knowledge. It happened in Sagari's time. Then COAS was not aware of it.

Dont be surprised, if he is the one in charge of it all . . . .have u ever seen anyone planning coup tell anyone?
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by babaowo: 10:01pm On Mar 03, 2010
Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Dambazzau said what
people need to hear,many general will say samething.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by 360command: 11:38pm On Mar 03, 2010
This country dont care about the humanity of the people living in it.for how long would our democratic politians keep toying with the people. If people do not have the heart to change then i suggest someone needs to remove them by any means possible.for how long would our unborn generation continue to see such bad vices happening.shey na like dis we go de dey?
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by donclemo(m): 7:45am On Mar 04, 2010
How come Goodluck is the acting President and chief in commander and when President Yaradua showed up he was not aware and Nigerian troops went to receive him is that not sabotage in the military
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by sunnela: 7:48am On Mar 04, 2010
PEOPLE JUST DONT KNOW, HERE IS AN ARMY GENERAL THAT WAS TRYING TO DEFLECT THE ANSWER OF WHO ORDERED THE ""ARMY ARRANGEMENT" AT THE AIRPORT FOR YAR'ADUA'S RETURN WHEN THE V.P CLAIM IGNORANCE OF IT.  HE DECIED TO SAY THAT THE ARMY DOES NOT INTERFERE IN POLITICS, BUT THE ARMY IS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS COUNTRY, SO DID HE NOT KNOW THAT WHAT THE ARMY DID WAS ILLEGAL AND IS TREASONABLE, AND FOLKS ARE LEAVING THE CORE ISSUE TO DISCUSS INTERFERENCE OR NOT, OMASE OH
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by donclemo(m): 7:51am On Mar 04, 2010
sunnela:

PEOPLE JUST DONT KNOW, HERE IS AN ARMY GENERAL THAT WAS TRYING TO DEFLECT THE ANSWER OF WHO ORDERED THE ""ARMY ARRANGEMENT" AT THE AIRPORT FOR YAR'ADUA'S RETURN WHEN THE V.P CLAIM IGNORANCE OF IT.  HE DECIED TO SAY THAT THE ARMY DOES NOT INTERFERE IN POLITICS, BUT THE ARMY IS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS COUNTRY, SO DID HE NOT KNOW THAT WHAT THE ARMY DID WAS ILLEGAL AND IS TREASONABLE, AND FOLKS ARE LEAVING THE CORE ISSUE TO DISCUSS INTERFERENCE OR NOT, OMASE OH
YES I AGREE WITH YOU.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by greatnatio: 7:53am On Mar 04, 2010
Obviously, something sinister happening:

Read this:
http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/bankole-confirms-coup-threat-%E2%80%A2-warns-colleagues-to-soft-pedal-on-yar%E2%80%99adua
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Seun(m): 10:14am On Mar 04, 2010
greatnatio:

Obviously, something sinister happening:

Read this:
http://www.nigerianewspapersonline.net/bankole-confirms-coup-threat-%E2%80%A2-warns-colleagues-to-soft-pedal-on-yar%E2%80%99adua
The title is misleading; Bankole was just scaremongering to get his colleagues' attention.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by chino4(m): 10:47am On Mar 04, 2010
PEOPLE JUST DONT KNOW, HERE IS AN ARMY GENERAL THAT WAS TRYING TO DEFLECT THE ANSWER OF WHO ORDERED THE ""ARMY ARRANGEMENT" AT THE AIRPORT FOR YAR'ADUA'S RETURN WHEN THE V.P CLAIM IGNORANCE OF IT. HE DECIED TO SAY THAT THE ARMY DOES NOT INTERFERE IN POLITICS, BUT THE ARMY IS UNDER THE CONSTITUTION OF THIS COUNTRY, SO DID HE NOT KNOW THAT WHAT THE ARMY DID WAS ILLEGAL AND IS TREASONABLE, AND FOLKS ARE LEAVING THE CORE ISSUE TO DISCUSS INTERFERENCE OR NOT, OMASE OH

Things are bad how can the Acting President/ Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces not know when his troops are being ordered .The General in question needs to be relieved of his duties.That shd be the first action of Jonathan when he assumes office.Some heads must roll.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by Nobody: 11:50am On Mar 04, 2010
People should just stop combining the words 'Army' & 'Coup' in the same sentence. The more citizens exhibit the fear/possibility of coup (& the politicians are the most stupid culprits) the more the khaki boys imagine they can still rule this country. Until one day an idle soldier will put his imaginations into practice

& voila! what the Nigerian Kleptocracy fears the most would have come upon them.
Re: Nigerian Army Chief Rejects Coup Rumors by redsun(m): 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2010
What difference does military and democratic rules make in nigeria?You guys should be worried about looming outright war not military coup.

The emergence of yaradua as the president of nigeria can not be worst than any military coup,with the countless numbers of dead nigerians,election riggings,intimidations and manipulations.

Nigrians seems to have six seconds memories,like fish brains,people forget the root cause of their problems easily.And according to a saying in my place which goes like this-Only an slowpoke forgets where and when the rain start pissin-g down on him or her.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Babangida Asks Pdp To Clarify Position On Zoning ! / Buhari Is The Solution, Not Jonathan - Rev Moses Iloh / North ‘ll Retain Abuja If Nigeria Breaks Up – Junaid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.