Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,433 members, 7,781,267 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:30 AM

Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama (13511 Views)

Mercedes Is Working On Electric G-Class SUV / Mercedes Is Recalling The G65 Because It Can Go Too Fast Backwards / Petrol Scarcity Again? It's Time For Nigerians To Go Electric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Daniel058(m): 7:40am On Sep 24, 2017
maisauki:
wen i need jus $2k
lol, all fingers are not equal nah grin
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by jegz25(m): 7:43am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:
The faster the world moves to hybrid/electric engines, the better for this sh!thole called Nigeria. I want to see what those northerners would do. Maybe they would kill and fight us for tax revenues raised in Lagos. It is fight to finish in this 21st century.

It is a fight to finish.

Restructuring of Nigeria is unavoidable.

We are watching.
weren't the northerners surviving before the discovery of oil in the south?... It's so obvious you lack history and you are ignorant.it was the resources of the north that was used in exploring the so called oil in the south from agriculture,smiths livestock and rest. The north has abundant land for farming, goldmining and other mineral resources. Don't believe everything you read on social media, read your books and ask better people about Nigeria ok

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by whodohgeepee(m): 7:52am On Sep 24, 2017
Neoviper147:
Nigeria, wake up... The world is converting to electric cars... I work with Tesla and I know what's up. We have just 12-15years. Africa will be used as a dumping ground for gasoline cars. We have all it takes to develop our power sector. This people have no plan for Africa. Hear me, my people!

connect me oga mbok for Tesla.. thanks..
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Reference:

I've repeatedly told them so.

That is why the rampaging Niger-Delta militants are the greatest agents of change and the strongest allies of the owners of Nigeria. They will guarantee this country survives a post all-electric world by weaning them off the addictive stuff, but will they listen....

The Biafran secessionists are the next important agents of change because they have been screaming for reform or revolt. Their quest to leave should be welcomed by the owners of Nigeria because quite frankly when a post oil famine comes there will be less mouths to feed and a few billions less to borrow from the world bank and the IMF. When a CEO sees a dip in fortunes ahead he begins to offload 'less profitable assets' in order to 'balance the balance sheet' in future....as most think the east is less profitable to them so why hang on....

Interesting times ahead grin

We keep our fingers crossed. The Yoruba nation is also watching. No levying of violence would deter the many other ethnic nationalities from breaking free from the strangle hold of the North.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 24, 2017
jegz25:
weren't the northerners surviving before the discovery of oil in the south?... It's so obvious you lack history and you are ignorant.it was the resources of the north that was used in exploring the so called oil in the south from agriculture,smiths livestock and rest. The north has abundant land for farming, goldmining and other mineral resources. Don't believe everything you read on social media, read your books and ask better people about Nigeria ok

So inspite of all these, the north still constitutes itself as a stumbling block to the much desired restructuring of the Nigerian Federation? There won't be any election in 2019 without restructuring.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by obyrich(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:
The faster the world moves to hybrid/electric engines, the better for this sh!thole called Nigeria. I want to see what those northerners would do. Maybe they would kill and fight us for tax revenues raised in Lagos. It is fight to finish in this 21st century.

It is a fight to finish.

We are watching.
One Nigeria till the end. grin
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Reference(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
jegz25:

If it is rosy and profitable why are they not pushing that agenda. Why are they not investing intensely in agriculture and mining and whatever. Why are they spending the little they have on military operations to hold onto the resources of other locales. Answer oh, because since I began to read many years ago I have been hearing this tale you tell yet Ajaokuta remains a tomb like Chernobyl and the Ministry of Solid minerals has not done anything solid since inception. As a matter of fact can you remember that a certain popular ex governor is the minster...I bet you have forgotten because that is how dead that place is. And that is how ready you folks are for post oil blues...be deceiving yourselves....
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by davillian(m): 8:10am On Sep 24, 2017
Electricity has been extended to cars and here in Nigeria we no see light 4house.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by ghenghen23(m): 8:22am On Sep 24, 2017
They are not abandoning fossil fuels, they are only trying to cut carbon emissions in densely populated areas. The electricity for the EVs will be generated from burning fossil fuels. We still do not have a cheaper and more efficient energy source currently.
9japrof:
Tesla motors, other car brands, now Mercedes all going electric.

Norway, France and other countries banning fuel powered cars by 2030, 2035 showing that the world is leaving fossil fuel

But Nigeria is still wasting billions of tax payers money still looking for oil in Chad basin, Niger and Sokoto states.

Nigeria and by extension the black race are a disgrace
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Jaybeee(m): 8:32am On Sep 24, 2017
Na to dey travel with generator be dat o, 4 naija.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Cuteamigo1(m): 8:39am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:

The south/Christians just wants to be free from the north. All this your story na ba turenci.
and yet they settling in the north with business everywhere. wake up from your dream.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Jabioro: 8:45am On Sep 24, 2017
If all the road cars go hybrid what about the trucks.marine engines,drillers,heavy duties equipments, and many factories propellers...many oil.diesel consumers would be alive actively after 2035-40 dead line
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by ifyboy60(m): 9:00am On Sep 24, 2017
maisauki:
that's why they told us to go back to farm.once that is done other things wil fall in place
Go back to farm and do what?
Farming needs much more Dan hoes n cutlasses. If the government can't make agric easy n encouraging Nigerians won't even bother.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Joel3(m): 9:06am On Sep 24, 2017
jegz25:
yes there where surviving in poverty and undereducated. the money from the north was never use to develop Niger delta oil stop believing that fairytale.

Niger delta was vibrate before oil, we have palm oil, fishing. robber, fruits and all other farming that sustain the region.

i repeat again the north never used yam money to develop the oil down south. instead the awarded the oil block to themselves because of military dictators.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by hanassholesolo: 9:14am On Sep 24, 2017
Alcatraz005:

It is a fight to finish.

We are watching.

They will tax you to death. grin
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Holuwahyomzzy: 9:15am On Sep 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Joel3(m): 9:15am On Sep 24, 2017
ghenghen23:
They are not abandoning fossil fuels, they are only trying to cut carbon emissions in densely populated areas. The electricity for the EVs will be generated from burning fossil fuels. We still do not have a cheaper and more efficient energy source currently.
you are wrong. the cars get charged from charged filling station or charge outlet. not from fuels
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by hanassholesolo: 9:17am On Sep 24, 2017
whitebeard:
Hold on let's not get to cocky with the hearing of ditching petrol driven car for electric cars, pls guys I would tell u hypothetically that electric cars is not for developing countries, and it not the new big advanced technology that man is looking for in the automobile market, electric cars are "just there" the big technology in the automobile world is power cells, just the way aircraft carriers are powers by nuclear reactors, cars would be powered just like that, but with smaller reactors.

That way we wont have to fear EMP bombs, or fear that u would run out of gas, anything that has to do with power would be taken care of.

Electric cars have a lot of limitations so I suggest we stick with our petrol driven cars for now..!

EMP bomb is real any deranged idiot can get it on the black market

Lol, what are you saying. We here are looking at the bigger picture, which is that most countries are going to start depending less on oil.
Which is where we get our major money from to run this country.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Joel3(m): 9:18am On Sep 24, 2017
Jabioro:
If all the road cars go hybrid what about the trucks.marine engines,drillers,heavy duties equipments, and many factories propellers...many oil.diesel consumers would be alive actively after 2035-40 dead line
it will cut down by 50%. beside developing countries will continue using it for another 100 years. only that revenue from oil will drop. and will be more cheaper

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by hanassholesolo: 9:19am On Sep 24, 2017
ghenghen23:

Actually most countries generate electricity with Nuclear plants, solar, wind. When they eventually start mass producing electric cars, they'll have made more advancement on the energy generation system and that involves cutting carbon based (oil) method of producing fuel.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Exciton(m): 9:26am On Sep 24, 2017
A new age has already begun and yet again, our leaders have positioned us at the bottom of the chain. Since our leaders are completely short sighted and uninterested in human development, we are always providing raw materials to others in exchange for small profits.

In this new AI, AR, quantum computing, alternative energy source world we are embarking on, even the relatively advanced Southern Nigeria will be providing nothing more than low level programming solutions via outsourcing by the richer nations.

We will never be leaders in any industry because we have illiterate f00ls for leaders only interested in making quick money for mansions in Dubai etc. Lots of talented young Nigerians will never fulfill their immense potential. It's the sad reality.

PS: I pity those saying electric cars would only be a thing in developed countries. Almost all developing countries except Nigeria [and some others] haven't got electricity sorted out.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by powerblaze(m): 10:16am On Sep 24, 2017
9japrof:

Norway, France and other countries banning fuel powered cars by 2030, 2035 showing that the world is leaving fossil fuel

But Nigeria is still wasting billions of tax payers money still looking for oil in Chad basin, Niger and Sokoto states.

When you're last at everything you'll always be left behind
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Originalsly: 12:00pm On Sep 24, 2017
9japrof:

Really?.... the Black race is a disgrace because Nigeria is "wasting billions" looking for oil? Is the US also "wasting billions" looking for oil?.....despite becoming pretty much self sufficient and is now exporting oil? ... isn't the White race not also a disgrace? ...or that is different?....smart and out of the box move? If you are bent on condemning the Black race...then find another thing...this is not the one. I can suggest you start with the self haters
@ topic.....no doubt. .the auto industry is moving to full EV. .... from fossil fuel to half step hybrid and now EV. Tesla is the pace setter...wayyy ahead...probably into 4th generations production while the others are now on the starting blocks trying to catch up. No different from Toyota who got wayyy ahead with hybrids.... no different than Samsung that started going fully digital while the leader Sony at the time was going hybrid..analog/digital. Now they all are trying to catch Tesla to stay relevant in the future. The problem with this technology and Nigeria.... is that we are proudly rolling out the red carpet for the companies to move their obsolete non Green assembly plants here..... making Nigeria a dumping ground. Those making such decisions are a disgrace. ...those who support them and help them remain in power are an even bigger disgrace.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 24, 2017
If there is any one I will commend for foresight in Buhari's government, it will be Kachikwu. He has made it clear and have continued to warn that the era of oil is gone and gone for good. People talk agriculture, yes, agriculture is nice but we lack something other nations have and this is where we are being "ripped" off daily. That's Technology. Most technology related systems in Nigeria are imported with none exported. We export some oil and import oil, we export some agric produce and import some. Thanks for likes of Andela that are beginning to change things. Technology is key if Nigeria wishes to be competitive.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by addictiv(m): 2:03pm On Sep 24, 2017
whitebeard:
Hold on let's not get to cocky with the hearing of ditching petrol driven car for electric cars, pls guys I would tell u hypothetically that electric cars is not for developing countries, and it not the new big advanced technology that man is looking for in the automobile market, electric cars are "just there" the big technology in the automobile world is power cells, just the way aircraft carriers are powers by nuclear reactors, cars would be powered just like that, but with smaller reactors.

That way we wont have to fear EMP bombs, or fear that u would run out of gas, anything that has to do with power would be taken care of.

Electric cars have a lot of limitations so I suggest we stick with our petrol driven cars for now..!

EMP bomb is real any deranged idiot can get it on the black market
MR u are talking of emp bomb when all u need to blow up a gasoline car is a matchstick or lighter. It's in our own interest to look into providing stable power supply so that we can take advantage of these technologies else....this country is going to become a museum for old relics

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Jagermeister(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2017
ExInferis:
Now where is that idiot grease monkey jagermeister....

Hehehehe.

Man don't you get worn out with all the banterings?

Yeah, you made your point! Move on chappie.

I feel honoured that u'd call me out. But mostly because I was still in your thoughts all these while. See how I've made you suffer.

Hey fool, truce?
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by ExInferis(m): 4:26pm On Sep 24, 2017
Jagermeister:

Hehehehe.

Man don't you get worn out with all the banterings?

Yeah, you made your point! Move on chappie.

I feel honoured that u'd call me out. But mostly because I was still in your thoughts all these while. See how I've made you suffer.

Hey fool, truce?

I see your white flag.

Truce.

*but you're still a bit of an asshole*

tongue
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by Jagermeister(m): 5:47pm On Sep 24, 2017
ExInferis:

I see your white flag.

Truce.

*but you're still a bit of an asshole*

tongue

Being an asshole is a growing trend. I'm afraid I can't skelter away from being one.

Waving my white flag was the most noble thing to do. I'm an asshole that knows when to stop! Remember the saying 'all is fair in love and war'
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by 9japrof(m): 6:22pm On Sep 24, 2017
[quote author=Originalsly post=60778308] Really?.... the Black race is a disgrace because Nigeria is "wasting billions" looking for oil? Is the US also "wasting billions" looking for oil?.....despite becoming pretty much self sufficient and is now exporting oil? ... isn't the White race not also a disgrace? ...or that is different?....smart and out of the box move? If you are bent on condemning the Black race...then find another thing...this is not the one. I can suggest you start with the self haters
@ topic.....no doubt. .the auto industry is moving to full EV. .... from fossil fuel to half step hybrid and now EV. Tesla is the pace setter...wayyy ahead...probably into 4th generations production while the others are now on the starting blocks trying to catch up. No different from Toyota who got wayyy ahead with hybrids.... no different than Samsung that started going fully digital while the leader Sony at the time was going hybrid..analog/digital. Now they all are trying to catch Tesla to stay relevant in the future. The problem with this technology and Nigeria.... is that we are proudly rolling out the red carpet for the companies to move their obsolete non Green assembly plants here..... making Nigeria a dumping ground. Those making such decisions are a disgrace. ...those who support them and help them remain in power are an even bigger disgrace.[/quote]

Bro do you know that as much as you tried making sense, you ended up contradicting yourself.
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by whitebeard(m): 6:46pm On Sep 24, 2017
addictiv:

MR u are talking of emp bomb when all u need to blow up a gasoline car is a matchstick or lighter. It's in our own interest to look into providing stable power supply so that we can take advantage of these technologies else....this country is going to become a museum for old relics
seems u can't understand me now, probably later..!!
Re: Mercedes Is Spending $1 Billion To Go Electric In Alabama by maisauki: 6:51pm On Sep 24, 2017
Daniel058:
lol, all fingers are not equal nah grin
don't tel thieves that so that they don't 'explain' to yu

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Reps Endorse Tariff Increase On Imported Cars / 7 Dangers Of Driving On Worn-out Tyres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.