Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:19 PM

The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ (39772 Views)

Which Senegal Team Is The Golden Generation 2002 WC Team Or 2021 AFCON Team? / The Rise And Rise Of Samuel Chukwueze / Russia 2018 – Hazard Takes Swipe At England’s Golden Generation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:02pm On Sep 23, 2017
Disclaimer: This IS NOT The New Super Eagles Thread... Sir Terzurum5's Dawn of a new era thread for the Super Eagles' march towards Russia 2018 and Afcon 2019 remains the Official home of all Super Eagles matters. This is my personal Angle and project on this Rising beautiful era in our football. It is a project dear to me coz of my football passion and love for the Story behind our National team's rise to greatness since our first football achievement at the 1976 Afcon.

This is a project I have always had in mind for a while now since the turn of the new year..... I have just been waiting for the right time to run it alone and with all the passion I have for The Beautiful Game in Nigeria, Africa and the world at Large. This is for the Audience out there looking for reasons to still believe in Nigerian Football and her possibilities for Excellent Success again and again....

Folks, Nigerian football is on the rise again. smiley

In the '90s till Early 2000s, we saw the rise of Nigeria's first Golden Era in football which saw Stars and Legends like Kanu Nwankwo, JJ Okocha, Rashidi Yekini, Finidi George, Emmanuel Amuneke, Daniel Amokachi, Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, Peter Rufai, Sunday Oliseh, Victor Ikpeba, Tijani Babangida etc lead the nation to Success at Continental and International levels.

The name, "Giant of African Football" was forged during this era and attached to Nigeria and it was in 1990 that the Nigerian football national team became renamed (formerly Green Eagles) and reborn as The Super Eagles.

Fast forward to today... and you will notice a slow but sure rise in super talents and Beauty in Nigerian football again. The rise of another generation is on and Could most possibly be Our next (and second) Super Golden Generation.

The Negatives of our administrative structure still remain plus the bad organization of our local league but what we cannot deny is that out of the cracks and roughness of our Football terrains rises another strong and beautiful flower determined to grow and blossom in many splendid colors if only we can keep the belief strong and fan the flames of what Nigerian football is about to unleash on the world on a grand scale..... and most importantly if The NFF can try to maintain the current positive flow of where Nigerian football is headed despite the Ills that are still present.

This is 2017.... but I will always trace the beginning of This new generation's pregnancy to 2013. It was in that year that Nigeria won her first Afcon since the first Golden era... and also a year which saw the burst into prominence of some of Nigeria's next Young super stars at UAE 2013 and The 2013 U-20 World cup.... that era saw the blessings of the MRI screening yield beautiful results and genuinely quality young players many of whom didn't even make the UAE 2013 squad.

Also a couple more were rising silently during that period and being incubated to be born in same period the likes of The 2013 class was born in their pro-careers at various periods.

This is a project close to my heart. I am a Young Scientist and a Big thinker when it comes to my field of work and learning... but I also just Love the beautiful game. I Love The Inspirational story of Football not just in Analysis but in Background stories.

Let us begin..... (more will be said with time) wink

2 Likes

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:11pm On Sep 23, 2017
Super Eagles Captain Mikel Shines As Tianjin Teda End Two Months Winless Run

Two goals from Ghanaian forward Frank Acheampong powered Chinese side Tianjin Teda to a 4-1 win over Tianjin Quanjian in a Chinese Super League clash.

Tianjin Teda have been winless in the last two months but two goals from Acheampong within a space of two minutes in the 25th and 26th minutes respectively set them on the path to a morale boosting win.

Captain of the senior Nigeria national team John Obi Mikel was as usual one of the star performers of the team, who are off the bottom of the table in the Chinese Super League courtesy of the win.

Mikel was on for the entire duration of the game and bossed the like of Axel Witsel who was up against him during the course of the game played at the Tianjin Olympic Center.

The win takes Tianjin Teda points tally to 19 after 25 games in the Chinese Super League, and also helped them move from 16th to 14th on the 16 team table of the Chinese top flight league.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/23/super-eagles-captain-mikel-shines-as-tianjin-teda-end-two-months-winless-run/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:15pm On Sep 23, 2017
Rohr Shuns Red Hot Peter Eneji, Arrives Ghana To Run The Rule On Adeleye, Akas

Coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr will arrive Ghana later today to watch the WAFU Cup final game to be contested between Nigeria and Ghana on Sunday.

Nigeria will take on Ghana in what will be a rematch of their group meeting which Nigeria triumphed 2-0 to seal passage to the semi-final, where they defeated 10 man Benin Republic to book their spot in the final.

Rohr has received positive reviews about some players in the team, and want to watch them at close quarters before deciding on their inclusion in his squad for the World Cup 2018 Qualifiers against Zambia next month.

The duo of Olamilekan Adeleye and Chima Akas are top of the manager’s priority list as their position of central defence and left full back are two areas where the manager is still searching for options.

FC Ifeanyi Ubah stopper Adeleye has caught the eye with his faultless display for the back side that is yet to concede a goal at the tournament, he has excelled in tandem with either Emmanuel Ariwachukwu or Stephen Eze.

Akas isn’t new to the manager, but his performance at the Championship has caught the attention of the coach, who has reportedly received glowing remarks about his game.

However, the team forward Peter Moses Eneji who has impressed mightily playing from the left or right flank isn’t on the list of potential call ups for the Zambia game.

Sources close to the coach revealed to Owngoalnigeria.com, that the coach has options in in midfield and attack, hence is mostly concern about strengthening his options in defence.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/23/rohr-shuns-red-hot-peter-eneji-arrives-ghana-to-run-the-rule-on-adeleye-akas/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:18pm On Sep 23, 2017
Imoh Ezekiel Benched, Friday Eze Open Goal Account For Turkish Side Konyaspor

Former top scorer in the Serbian League Friday Eze scored his first goal for Turkish side Konyaspor by scoring the second goal in their 2-0 win over Akhisar Belediyespor.

Signed from Qatari side Al-Fujairah, the forward who spent last season on loan to Saudi Arabia outfit Al Quadisiya made his debut for his new team in their 0-2 loss to Alanyaspor on the 9th of September.

However he has had to endure with spending time on the bench, before finally coming on 46 minutes into their game against Akhisar Belediyespor , where he scored their second goal in the 73rd minute.

While Eze made an impression from the bench, his Nigerian compatriot at the club Imoh Ezekiel was left on the bench for the entire duration of the game, although he has played more games than Eze.

Big, strong, quick and very clinical in front of goal, the 24 year old Kaduna born forward took the league in Serbia by storm when he netted a total of 22 goals in all competitions for modest side Mladost Lucani, and subsequently finished as the top scorer and also got voted as the best player in the league.

He moved to Al-Fujairah of Qatar, but his tally of 14 goals wasn’t enough to keep the team in the top flight as they were relegated to the second division, and Eze left for Saudi Arabia to join Al-Quadisiya on loan.

**Shedrack Obi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/23/imoh-ezekiel-benched-friday-eze-open-goal-account-for-turkish-side-konyaspor/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:27pm On Sep 23, 2017
Fifa 18: Ndidi, Iheanacho, Henry, Abraham, Iwobi, Onomah Destined For Greatness

Nigerian players featured prominently in EA Sports FIFA 18 Career Mode Hidden Gems,which was published on Friday, September 22.

In the Fifa 18 Career Mode, players on the lookout for the next big stars to sign for their clubs were advised to make moves for Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Tammy Abraham, Josh Onomah, Henry Onyekuru and Alex Iwobi as they have a highest potential to succeed in future.

EA Sports scoured the player rating database for the list of under-the-radar players destined for greatness before drawing up the shortlist.

Manchester City defender Tosin Adarabioyo is the only Nigerian player classed as a hidden gem, with a potential of 83.

With a potential rating of 86, Leicester City stars Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho, Chelsea loanee Tammy Abraham and Tottenham Hotpsur loanee Josh Onomah are the top rated Nigerian players.

Arsenal winger Alex Iwobi and Everton loanee Henry Onyekuru were each given an 85 rating.

FIFA 18 is scheduled to be released worldwide on 29 September 2017.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24742
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:32pm On Sep 23, 2017
Kayode Explains Why He Chose Manchester City Ahead Of Newcastle, CSKA

Olarenwaju Kayode has revealed how Pep Guardiola convinced him to join Manchester City in the summer transfer window.
The Nigeria international was on the radar of several clubs not limited to Manchester City, Getafe, Newcastle United, CSKA Moscow and Spartak Moscow after winning the Golden Boot award in the Austrian Bundesliga last season.

Kayode has been loaned out to Catalonia based Girona for the remainder of this season as he is not yet eligible to obtain a work permit in England.

''A lot of teams in Europe approached me after the last season: Alaves, Malaga, CSKA Moscow, Spartak Moscow and Newcastle,'' Kayode told www.sport5.co.il.

''I did not know how to digest it and I had a hard time deciding until the offer came from Manchester City. "

Kayode added : "They came to see me in Austria and told me that they believed me very much, so I went for medical tests in England, where I met Pep Guardiola, the coach.

"When I saw the papers that Manchester City approached me, I was really excited and did not believe it.

"He told me that I had a great talent and he was following me for a long period of time, and Pep stressed that I was a good player for him and I should join City''.

Kayode made his full debut for Girona against CD Leganés on Wednesday and is in contention to be named in the match day squad against Barcelona on Saturday night. (A game already played which saw Girona lose 3-0 at home)

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24739
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:36pm On Sep 23, 2017
Iwobi, Iheanacho & Ndidi Named Among Top 50 U21 Players In The World

There are three Nigeria representatives on L'Equipe's ranking of the top 50 players born after 1 January 1996.

The reputable French sports daily has published a list of the most promising up-and-coming players in the world, with Arsenal winger Alex Iwobi and Leicester City stars Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho included.

Iwobi is the highest ranked Nigerian player at number 25, followed by Iheanacho who ranked 29th while Ndidi finished 36th.

The best five U21 players are Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Kylian Mbappé (PSG), Ousmane Dembélé (Barcelona) and Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan) in that order.

Iwobi is getting closer and closer to returning to the Gunners' first team after he fell out of favour towards the end of the 2016-2017 campaign.

Kelechi Iheanacho joined Leicester City in the summer for 25 million pounds, and broke the transfer fee record for a Nigerian player in the process.

Midfielder Wilfred Ndidi was named Leicester City's Young Player of the Year last season.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24734
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:45pm On Sep 23, 2017
The Super Eagles boast of three of her best rising Youngsters in the Reputable L'Equipe list of the finest and best U-21 Players on the planet....

Alex Iwobi classed as a Winger (Ailier in French) ranked 25th.

Kelechi Iheanacho classed as an Attacker (Attaquant in French) ranked 29th.

Wilfred Ndidi classed as a Midfielder (Milieu in French) ranked 36th.

Also three other African youngsters made the list and they include:

- Franck Kessie, MF (CIV and Ac Milan). @no.18th

- Amadou Diawara, MF (Guinea and Napoli). @no.24th

- Andre Onana, GK (Cameroun and Ajax Amsterdam) @no.49th

Iwobi (25) and Iheanacho (29)

Ndidi (36)
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:56pm On Sep 23, 2017
It is important to note that according to the recently released L'Equipe honor roll and also according to an earlier 2017 list of the world's best U-21s by UK Telegraph.... that:

- Alex Iwobi is Africa's best Young rising Winger and attacking midfielder.

- Kelechi Iheanacho is Africa's best young rising Attacker/Forward/Striker. .

- Wilfred Ndidi is Africa's best young rising Midfielder according to The UK Telegraph and Africa's third best young rising Midfielder according to L'Equipe.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:03pm On Sep 23, 2017
A Summarised List of the Highest rated Best U-21 players by Whoscored.com based on players who had 10 starts or more in 2017 and from last season (2016/2017)........

Wilfred Ndidi is rated as no.9

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:14pm On Sep 23, 2017
Ndidi, Iheanacho In Action, Musa Dropped As Liverpool Edge Leicester
By James Agberebi

Liverpool halted their recent four-game run without a win with thrilling 3-2 victory against Leicester City at the King Power Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday.

Super Eagles duo, Wilfred Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho, were in action for Leicester, while Ahmed Musa who featured for Leicester’s U-23s in their 2-0 win against Chelsea in the Premier League 2 on Thursday, was not listed.

Ndidi was on from the start while Iheanacho was a late substitute.

Goals from Mohamed Salah, Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson saw Liverpool avenge their 2-0 loss to Leicester in the Carabao Cup in midweek.

Shinji Okazaki and Jamie Vardy – who missed a penalty- were the scorers for Leicester.

The win took Liverpool to fifth on 11 points in the league table, while Leicester are 16th on four points.

Vardy went close to giving Leicester the lead on six minute but his shot from an acute angle was well saved by Simon Mignolet.
In the 13th minute, Liverpool should have gone ahead through
Emre Can whose effort came off the post while Salah’s follow-up went wide.

Salah made amends for his miss as he gave Liverpool the lead on 16 minutes, squeezing his header from a tight angle into the net following Coutinho’s cross.

Liverpool doubled their lead seven minutes later thanks to Coutinho’s brilliant 25-yard free-kick.

With five minutes left, Okazaki thought he had reduced the deficit for Leicester only for his effort to be ruled out for offside.
Okazaki eventually got on the score sheet in the third minute of first-half added time as he poked the ball into the net from close range to make it 2-1.

In the 68th minute, Liverpool restored their two-goal advantage thanks to Henderson who finished off a swift counter attack for the visitors.

A minute after Liverpool’s goal, Vardy scored for Leicester as he nodded in at the far post after Demarai Gray’s initial dipping shot was saved.

In the 73rd minute, Leicester were awarded a penalty after Mignolet brought down Vardy but the Belgian keeper made amends as he saved the resultant spot kick from Vardy.
Daniel Sturridge went close to extend Liverpool lead on 15 minutes only to see his curler go inches wide.

In the closing stages of the game Leicester poured more bodies forward and brought on Iheanacho in search of the equaliser but Liverpool held on for the win.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ndidi-iheanacho-action-musa-dropped-liverpool-edge-leicester/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:53pm On Sep 23, 2017
CAF Drop Kenya As CHAN Host, Retain Cameroon For AFCON

The Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) have stripped Kenya of the right to host the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) following a CAF executive committee meeting in Accra.

According to BBC Sports, the decision to strip Kenya of the hosting right was announced at a media conference after a one-day meeting by CAF executive committee headed by their president Ahmad Ahmad in Accra, Ghana on Saturday.

CAF announced that the decision to move the tournament was made due to accumulated delays from reports of the various inspection missions conducted in the country.

It was revealed that a CAF inspection team visited Kenya from 11 to 17 September 2017 and found that only one of the four venues was ready to stage the event.

There was also concern about the political situation in Kenya, where recently annulled presidential elections are set to be re-run next month.

And on the issue of who the new host country of the 2018 CHAN would be, CAF stated that a bidding process for new hosts will be opened immediately.

In other decisions taken at the meeting on Saturday, CAF announced that for now, Cameroon remains as hosts of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, though the organising committee must organise for an audit firm to carry out an inspection mission of the country’s infrastructure.

CAF also announced that Egypt has replaced Zambia as host of the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, which doubles as qualification for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.

Zambia withdrew as host of the eight-nation competition on financial grounds.

The 16-team CHAN tournament for locally-based players only is scheduled to take place between 12 January and 4 February 2018.

The home-based Super Eagles are one of the teams that will take part in the 2018 CHAN after eliminating Benin Republic 2-1 on aggregate.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/caf-drop-kenya-chan-host-retain-cameroon-afcon/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:24pm On Sep 23, 2017
Dalung leads Pinnick, Sanusi, Rohr, others to watch Eagles play Ghana
BY Nwafor Polycarp

Minister of Youth and Sports Solomon Dalung will lead a delegation of top officials to cheer on the Super Eagles when they clash with Ghana’s Black Stars in Sunday’s WAFU Cup of Nations final.
A statement from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Saturday said Dalung would be accompanied by the NFF President Amaju Pinnick.

“Also in the delegation to the Cape Coast Stadium is NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, who arrived in the Ghanaian capital on Friday.
Super Eagles in training

“Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser Gernot Rohr also flew into Accra on Saturday and will be in the stands.

“Head Coach of Super Eagles B, Salisu Yusuf is Chief Coach of the A team where Rohr is technical adviser,’’ it said.

The statement also noted that Dalung has been an ever-present guest in Super Eagles’ most crucial matches in the past year.

“He indisputably brings a rich vein of fortune around the team with the Eagles now only one win away from a sixth appearance in the FIFA World Cup finals,’’ it said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the minister led the Nigerian delegation to the 2-1 win over Zambia in Ndola at the start of the 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign.

He was equally in Uyo for the 3-1 thrashing of Algeria.

He was there in Uyo when the Eagles bashed African champions Cameroon 4-0 and also arrived in Yaounde in time to see the 1-1 draw three days later.

To reach the championship match, the Super Eagles B, who qualified for the 5th African Nations Championship finals after a 2-1 aggregate win over Benin Republic in August, ejected Sierra Leone with a 2-0 win in the first knock-out phase.

They also drew 0-0 with Mali and Guinea before seeing off hosts Ghana 2-0 in last group phase attrition.

In the semi finals, CHAN qualifying victims Benin Republic were turned back 1-0, meaning Nigeria has yet to concede a goal in the sub-regional football fiesta.

Sunday’s match will kick off at 6 p.m. Ghana time (7 p.m. Nigeria time), and victory for the Super Eagles will mean a seventh major trophy for the Pinnick-led administration.

The administration’s first trophy was the Women Africa Cup of Nations title won by the Super Falcons in Namibia in Oct. 2014.

It was followed by the Super sand Eagles’ triumph in the COPA Lagos International Invitational Tournament (December 2014) and the Flying Eagles’ Africa U-20 title in Senegal (March 2015).

The latest being the Golden Eaglets’ FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile (November 2015), the U-23 team’s Africa U-23 title in Senegal (December 2015) and the Super Falcons’ Women Africa Cup of Nations title in Cameroon (December 2016).

Source: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/09/dalung-leads-pinnick-sanusi-rohr-others-watch-eagles-play-ghana/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:21am On Sep 24, 2017
Ajayi Fires Al Ahly Past Esperance Into CAFCL Semi-Finals
By James Agberebi

Nigerian striker Junior Ajayi was the hero for Egyptian giants Al Ahly as he scored the winner in their 2-1 comeback win against Tunisian heavyweights Esperance in the CAF Champions League second leg quarter-final tie in Rades, Tunis, on Saturday.
The win made Al Ahly progress 4-3 on aggregate after they were held to a 2-2 draw by Esperance in the first leg in Egypt.
After both teams failed to break the deadlock in the early exchanges, it was Esperance who eventually took the lead in the 40th minute through Taha Yassine.
In the 50th minute, Al Ahly equalised thanks to Tunisia’s Ali Maaloul.
And in the 62nd minute Maaloul turned provider as his superb cross was headed in by Ajayi to give Al Ahly the win.
Al Ahly will now meet the winners between Etoile du Sahel of Tunisia and Libya’s Ahli Tripoli in the semi-finals.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ajayi-fires-al-ahly-past-esperance-cafcl-semi-finals/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:26am On Sep 24, 2017
Nigeria, Ghana Rekindle Bitter Rivalry In WAFU Cup Final
By James Agberebi

The home-based Super Eagles of Nigeria and Ghana’s locally-based Black Stars will rekindle the age-long rivalry between both countries when they square off in the final of the 2017 West Africa Football Union (WAFU) Cup of Nations in Cape Coast, Ghana on Sunday.

This will be the second time both countries will clash at this year’s WAFU Cup of Nations.

In the first meeting in their final Group A game, the home-based Eagles who needed an outright win to advance into the semifinals, triumphed 2-0 thanks to goals from Anthony Okpotu and Peter Eneji.

Ghana come into the final on the back of four wins and a loss. They pipped Gambia 1-0 in the knockout round before beating Guinea and Mali 2-0 and 1-0 respectively in their first two Group A games to qualify for the semi-finals with a game to spare (which was the 2-0 loss to the home-based Eagles).

Home Based Super Eagles Striker Anthony Okpotu with Coach Salisu Yusuf

In the semi-final, Ghana defeated a spirited Niger Republic side to pick the final ticket.

The home-based Eagles, who are the only team yet to concede so far from the group stage, have three wins and two draws going into Sunday’s final.

Nigeria began the competition with a 2-0 win against Sierra Leone in the knockout phase.

In the group stage proper, they were held to 0-0 draws by Mali and Guinea before their last group game win against hosts Ghana.

And in the semifinal against 10-man Benin Republic, a lone strike from Kano Pillars’ midfielder Rabiu Ali was enough to seal a final berth.

Prior to their last Group A meeting which the home-based Eagles won, Ghana had won four of the last five encounters with Nigeria.

They defeated Nigeria 4-1 in an international friendly in 2007 in London before securing a 2-1 win in the quarter-finals of the 2008 Africa Cup of Nations which they hosted despite losing John Mensah to a red card.

Both teams met in the semi-final of the 2010 AFCON in Angola with an Asamoah Gyan header sending Ghana into the final.
In 2011, they faced each other in an international friendly in London which ended 0-0. And in the semi-final of the 2014 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) in South Africa, a 10-man Ghana side went on to win 4-1 on penalties after regulation time ended 0-0.
Meanwhile, the final of the WAFU Cup of Nations will be preceded by the third-place match between Benin Republic and Niger Republic, also on Sunday.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigeria-ghana-rekindle-bitter-rivalry-wafu-cup-final/
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2017
Nigerian Players P-Index: September 23rd

Taiwo Awoniyi (Royal Excel Mouscron): Played 88mins of his team's 3-2 victory over KAS Eupen in the Belgian Jupiler League.

Henry Onyekuru (RSC Anderlecht): Came in as a sub in the 46th min and played 44mins of his team's 2-1 away win over Waasland Beveren in The Belgian Jupiler League.

Some Aluko (Reading FC): Got an assist in a 90mins shift in his team's 1-1 home draw in the English Championship against Hull City. Distinguished himself pretty good in his first League start for Reading.

Tiago Ilori (Reading FC): Came in as a 66th min sub for Reading in their 1-1 home draw with Hull City.

Ola Aina (Hull City): Put in a 90mins shift and a fine RWB performance in Hull's 1-1 away draw with Reading in the English Championship.

Fikayo Tomori (Hull City): Put in a 90mins shift in Central defence for Hull against Reading also. Had a decent performance.

Fred Onyedimma (Millwall FC): Put in a 55mins shift in his side's 0-0 away draw with Preston North End in the English Championship.

Olanrewaju "Larry" Kayode (Girona FC): Played 30mins (came in as a sub in the 60th min) of his side's 3-0 home loss to LA Liga leaders, Messi's Barcelona. Didn't do too badly with the time he had on the pitch. Full of running and pressing.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:07am On Sep 24, 2017
Why African players are not recognised - Okocha

Off the pitch worries ranging from how to overcome poverty, pressure to prove self and other challenges have been identified as reasons why African players seldom get international recognition.

Former super Eagles Captain Jay Jay Okocha who made the submission while expressing a view on CNN, noted that..

...African players are forced by circumstances beyond their control to work twice as hard if they are to enjoy recognition like their European counterparts. The former PSG and Bolton Wanderers mid field maestro however expressed hope that future players will get recognition faster as efforts are being made to remedy some of the situations serving as clog in the wheel of progress.

“African players worry about a lot of challenges which affect them so they have to work twice as hard to earn recognition. You are under a lot of pressure to prove yourself, you worry about how to overcome poverty, and it will also interest you to know that some foreign clubs don’t sign African players because of the timing of the African Nations cup, so all these pose a lot of challenge for the African player and this no doubt can affect potentials. But a few things are being worked upon and I believe the younger players will have better chances, “he said he said

Okocha who hailed multiple award winning duo of Christiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, noted that the two players have been unique especially with their ability to maintain consistency. “It is not easy to be consistent and they have managed to maintain that and that is really impressive,” he added.

The rivalry between the two players he further noted is a positive one which has increased the desire for hard work among players for continuous self improvement.

Okocha who played for eight different clubs in the course of his career, made 75 appearances for the super Eagles between 1993 and 2006 scoring 14 goals in the bargain.

@bolded: Definitely some of that refer to the Change of the timing of Afcon events. A positive for African players in the long run.

Source: http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/09/why-african-players-are-not-recognised.html?m=1
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:20am On Sep 24, 2017
I will make it 9 and add Simon Moses

8 Super Eagles Who Will Lead Zambia’s Copper Bullets Extinction In Uyo

The Super Eagles are on the cusp of qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. A win against the Chipolopolo of Zambia on October 7 at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium Uyo will confirm Nigeria’s appearance at next summer’s World Cup, but any other result will prolong the two horse race to the last matchday-6 of Group B in November.

Completesportsnigeria.com’s IZUCHUKWU OKOSI in this piece looks at the Super Eagles players who can hurt the Zambians in Uyo.

ODION IGHALO: Striker – Changchun Yatai, China

Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo was key in the Nigeria’s home and away World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon in September which the Eagles won 4-0 and drew 1-1 respectively. He scored one of Nigeria’s goals in the four-goal rout in Uyo on September 1.

Ighalo has so far scored 12 goals (34% of the club’s total of 35 goals in 23 league appearances at press time) for his Chinese Super League side Changchun Yatai with 2,053 minutes of playing time to his credit.

Ighalo’s form will continuously be a source of concern for players and the coaches of the Zambian national side.

The striker will be hard pressed to get more international goals for Nigeria after four goals to his name in 12 international games.

The striker can also assist as he can score in equal measure and has got three assists this season meaning his partnership with the other attacking players will cause all sorts of problems to the Chipolopolo defence. He also likes to dart to the wings which will keep the Zambian defenders busy all through the game.

Dribbling is one of Ighalo’s biggest assets and his shots per goal have been encouraging. He will surely be massive against Zambia, he only needs to avoid holding on to the ball for too long.

VICTOR MOSES: Wing-Back: Chelsea, England

Chelsea right wing-back Victor Moses has been Nigeria’s most influential player in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign

Moses scored a brace against Algeria in their first leg clash in November 2016 and repeated the feat against African champions Cameroon in Uyo on September 1, 2017.
Given how he breaks at pace and gets into good positions, it will not be hard to fathom the Nigerian being a thorn in Zambia’s flesh on October 7.

Perhaps the question is: how many goals will he score?

OGHENEKARO ETEBO: Midfielder – Fereinse, Portugal

Much of the attention in the Nigerian midfield would naturally be on captain John Mikel Obi, but the league form of Fereinse of Portugal midfielder Oghenekaro Etebo could count for something in the clash against the Zambians.

The player has scored three goals in six top flight matches in Portugal this season.

The former Warri Wolves player has played eight international matches for Nigeria. He was not involved in Nigeria’s game against Cameroon at home, but only came off the bench in the reverse fixture in Yaounde.

That is already a reason to prove to Gernot Rhor that he deserves to play more for the Super Eagles. Etebo is a midfielder good at driving forward with the ball and hitting the ball hard. His impact will be felt the more if handed more playing time than he got against the African champions.

LEON BALOGUN: Defender -Mainz, Germany

Centre back Leon Balogun has played three games so far for his German Bundesliga side FSV Mainz, and thankfully, was not injured in their 4-0 defeat against Bayern Munich on September 16 after some time on the sidelines receiving treatment for a foul.

Balogun’s energy and probing runs deep from the Nigerian end of the pitch against Cameroon was exciting to see and he could be a genuine threat to the Copper Bullets, especially from dead ball situations.

The towering defender brings out the best in former U-23 star William Troost Ekong. His defensive astuteness will hopefully not desert him when it matters most on October 7.

AHMED MUSA: Forward – Leicester City, England

Somewhat forgotten as his club form for Leicester City have dipped, Eagles forward Ahmed Musa could be the trump card that coach Rhor deploys against Zambia especially in the second half.

The Zambian defenders will predictably focus on the likes of Victor Moses who by the way is perhaps the most important player that the Eagles have had in the 2018 World Cup qualification. No doubt.

That is exactly where an Emmanuel Amuneke-esque player hitherto unheralded or deprived of ample playing time will rise and punish the Zambians. Remember the 1994 Africa Cup of Nations final against Zambia in Tunisia?

Musa may be the ex factor in the game and thereby resurrect his fast fading impact in the Super Eagles with a splendid show in two weeks’ time.

JOHN MIKEL OBI: Midfielder – Tianjin TEDA, China

The captain of Nigeria. John Mikel obi needs no introduction and what he brings to the Super Eagles is magic.

Mikel Obi was solely missed in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa but his presence
positive vibes to the team versus the Indomitable Lions.

The skipper’s availability alone for the match will be bad news to the Zambians. Mikel will bring the leadership and charisma that the opponents will revere.

Every team goes to war with their best warriors, Mikel’s passes and ball retention will be key factors that could shoot down the Chipolopolo backline. Mikel scores the odd goals and his contributions will be massive.

ALEX IWOBI: Midfielder – Arsenal, England

Arsenal attacking midfielder cum forward Alex Iwobi scored his first international goal for Nigeria in the reverse fixture against Zambia in Ndola in the 2-1 win on 9 October 2016.

Iwobi brings creativity and also exuberance to the national team just as he does whenever he is given the opportunity at Arsenal.
Iwobi was not involved in the Cameroon double headers due to injury but is expected to be back for the match in Uyo on October 7.

It will be an uphill struggle for the Zambians to pin the skilfully Iwobi down to a position as he is used to drifting wide every now and then. Iwobi’s contributions are expected to focal in an anticipated victory for the Super Eagles.

Hopefully another October date against the Zambians will be a good outing for Iwobi and the Eagles.

KELECHI IHEANACHO: Forward – Leicester City, England
Leicester City’s Kelechi Iheanacho has had a decent record for the Nigerian national team so far since his debut on 13 November 2015 in a second round, first leg fixture of the 2018 World Cup qualifier against Swaziland which ended 0-0.

Iheanacho has gone on to score seven goals for the Super Eagles in 12 appearances and the former youth international who only played 39 minutes in total against Cameroon (29 at home, and 10 away) may find himself getting into the starting lineup or at least more playing time against the Zambians.

Iheanacho’s powerful left foot packed with canon, and his ability to pop up at vintage positions to receive the final ball from teammates will be massive when Zambia come to town.

The former Manchester City forward was credited by the Premier League to having the best goals-to-minutes ratio of any player in the English Premier League as at December 2016 with 12 strikes in 96 minutes. That impressive CV could be playing out for him in the Nigerian set up and having more minutes against Zambians could help in enhancing that.

Iheanacho could simply hurt the Zambians with his goals appetite for club and country.

Source: https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/78super-eagles-will-lead-zambias-copper-bullets-extinction-uyo/#comment-47638
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:37am On Sep 24, 2017
2017 WAFU Cup of Nations: Beating Ghana again would be tough, says Nigeria coach

Nigeria Super Eagles coach Salisu Yusuf has said it would be difficult to beat hosts Ghana for the second time in the final of the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations on Sunday.
Nigeria and Ghana had met earlier in the group stage of the competition with the Eagles beating the Black Stars 2-0. The Black Stars B topped the group while the Super Eagles finished second in the group.

Nigeria beat Benin Republic 1-0 in the semifinal while Ghana defeated Niger Republic 2-0 to book a place in the final.
Salisu, whose team have yet to concede a goal in their five matches at the competition, said the hosts would be out for revenge on Sunday.

“It will be very difficult task to beat Ghana a second time, but we hope not to disappoint Nigerians. We know what they will be up to and what they will be ready to give to take the trophy. We are more than ready to confront them and give them more than they expect,” the coach said.

“The Eagles have become used to winning, from winning the CHAN ticket to conquering Sierra Leone and even Ghana here to reach the final, and we cannot stop now. We want that winning mentality to remain all the way to the CHAN finals early next year.

“We do not plan to change our tactics much against them tomorrow (which is today), but we know they will come out fighting in front of their fans."

Source: http://mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/2017-wafu-cup-of-nations-beating-ghana-again-would-be-tough-says-nigeria
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:41am On Sep 24, 2017
Why Nigerian Midfielder Did Not Flaunt His Wares To Barcelona, Man Utd, Arsenal

Ex-Flying Eagles star Chidera Ezeh was absent for the Portuguese Primeira Liga clash between his former club Porto and Portimonense on Friday night.

The attacking midfielder missed out on an opportunity to showcase his skills to several scouts who watched the match at the Estádio Do Dragão.

According to the reliable Scouts In Attendance, representatives from Barcelona, Manchester United, Arsenal, Eibar, Celta de Vigo, Montpellier HSC and AS Monaco were among the 38,105 spectators at Estádio Do Dragão.

Chidera Ezeh's progress at Portimonense has been curtailed by injury in recent weeks and he had to go under the knife to repair the damage to his knee.

The 19-year-old was included in Portimonense' match day squad in the opening three rounds of the new season, before missing the next four matches against CS Marítimo, Benfica, Feirense and Porto.

Ezeh helped Portimonense secure promotion to the top-flight last season.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24747
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:17am On Sep 24, 2017
Stephen Eze has been cleared and given a clean bill of health to face Ghana in the Wafu cup final after missing the Semis due to illness.

#Wafucup2017 #GhaNga #TheFinal
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by zuchyblink(m): 11:46am On Sep 24, 2017
Junior ajayi, cyriel dessers and onyekuru are there to compete with ighalo
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 24, 2017
Very detailed information about our players. Pls what time is the WAFU match today.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by maidaboi(m): 1:29pm On Sep 24, 2017
zuchyblink:
Junior ajayi, cyriel dessers and onyekuru are there to compete with ighalo
and kayode
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by maidaboi(m): 1:30pm On Sep 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Stephen Eze has been cleared and given a clean bill of health to face Ghana in the Wafu cup final after missing the Semis due to illness.

#Wafucup2017 #GhaNga #TheFinal
good to go
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by maidaboi(m): 1:32pm On Sep 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Disclaimer: This IS NOT The New Super Eagles Thread... Sir Terzurum5's Dawn of a new era thread for the Super Eagles' march towards Russia 2018 and Afcon 2019 remains the Official home of all Super Eagles matters. This is my personal Angle and project on this Rising beautiful era in our football. It is a project dear to me coz of my football passion and love for the Story behind our National team's rise to greatness since our first football achievement at the 1976 Afcon.

This is a project I have always had in mind for a while now since the turn of the new year..... I have just been waiting for the right time to run it alone and with all the passion I have for The Beautiful Game in Nigeria, Africa and the world at Large. This is for the Audience out there looking for reasons to still believe in Nigerian Football and her possibilities for Excellent Success again and again....

Folks, Nigerian football is on the rise again. smiley

In the '90s till Early 2000s, we saw the rise of Nigeria's first Golden Era in football which saw Stars and Legends like Kanu Nwankwo, JJ Okocha, Rashidi Yekini, Finidi George, Emmanuel Amuneke, Daniel Amokachi, Uche Okechukwu, Ben Iroha, Peter Rufai, Sunday Oliseh, Victor Ikpeba, Tijani Babangida etc lead the nation to Success at Continental and International levels.

The name, "Giant of African Football" was forged during this era and attached to Nigeria and it was in 1990 that the Nigerian football national team became renamed (formerly Green Eagles) and reborn as The Super Eagles.

Fast forward to today... and you will notice a slow but sure rise in super talents and Beauty in Nigerian football again. The rise of another generation is on and Could most possibly be Our next (and second) Super Golden Generation.

The Negatives of our administrative structure still remain plus the bad organization of our local league but what we cannot deny is that out of the cracks and roughness of our Football terrains rises another strong and beautiful flower determined to grow and blossom in many splendid colors if only we can keep the belief strong and fan the flames of what Nigerian football is about to unleash on the world on a grand scale..... and most importantly if The NFF can try to maintain the current positive flow of where Nigerian football is headed despite the Ills that are still present.

This is 2017.... but I will always trace the beginning of This new generation's pregnancy to 2013. It was in that year that Nigeria won her first Afcon since the first Golden era... and also a year which saw the burst into prominence of some of Nigeria's next Young super stars at UAE 2013 and The 2013 U-20 World cup.... that era saw the blessings of the MRI screening yield beautiful results and genuinely quality young players many of whom didn't even make the UAE 2013 squad.

Also a couple more were rising silently during that period and being incubated to be born in same period the likes of The 2013 class was born in their pro-careers at various periods.

This is a project close to my heart. I am a Young Scientist and a Big thinker when it comes to my field of work and learning... but I also just Love the beautiful game. I Love The Inspirational story of Football not just in Analysis but in Background stories.

Let us begin..... (more will be said with time) wink

lets ride on
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by elyte89: 1:34pm On Sep 24, 2017
Y a counter thread here,what's going on

Dis group shld be proscribe as a terrorist thread by FG

Na so IPOB TEY START

6 Likes

Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by maidaboi(m): 1:43pm On Sep 24, 2017
elyte89:
Y a counter thread here,what's going on

Dis group shld be proscribe as a terrorist thread by FG

Na so IPOB TEY START
you can follow the two threads or follow one no be by force na
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by Tamunotonye22(m): 1:50pm On Sep 24, 2017
Hope I'd be useful here grin
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:37pm On Sep 24, 2017
Tammy Abraham : Swansea City Are Better Than What They Are Showing

Nigeria Football Federation target Tammy Abraham believes Swansea City's recent results in the Premier League are not a true reflection of the qualities they possess.

The Welsh side are one point above the relegation zone after losing their third game of the season to Watford on Saturday afternoon, despite the Chelsea loanee scoring his third goal of the season after coming off the bench.

''We did well to get back into the game and levelled things up, but we conceded in the last minute which was a big downer for us,'' Abraham told Swansea City's official website.

''We felt we could go on and win the game when we equalised. We went all out to win but lost the ball on the counter attack.

''We know we are better than what we are showing and we need to pick ourselves up.

''We have more games to put things right. Now we have to go to West Ham and fight for the win.''

Abraham's goal in the 56 minute against Watford was his 29th goal at club level since he turned professional.

**Igho Kingsley
Photo Credit : Twitter.com/TammyAbraham

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24754
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:40pm On Sep 24, 2017
7pm Nigerian time (6pm Ghanaian time)

Taliban:
Very detailed information about our players. Pls what time is the WAFU match today.
Re: The Thread For The Rise Of Nigeria's Next Golden Generation- The Super Eagles+ by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2017
Rohr To Monitor Ezenwa, Moses, Ifeanyi, Okpotu, Okoro In WAFU Cup Showpiece

Nigeria manager Gernot Rohr will be among the spectators at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Sunday evening when the Super Eagles take on Ghana in the showpiece game at the WAFU Cup of Nations.

The Nigeria Football Federation have announced that Gernot Rohr is expected in Ghana to support the home stars to victory in the final.

The German gaffer is expected to run the rule over the likes of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Osas Okoro, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Aremu Afeez, Peter Moses, Olamilekan Adeleye and Anthony Okpotu before naming his roster for the crucial World Cup qualifier against Zambia this week.

Speaking ahead of the final, coach Salisu Yusuf said : ''We have gone so far. We want to win and Ghana want to win and that is natural. The team that converts their chances will win.

''I know it's going to be a very tough game, but I'm optimistic that at the end of the day we will win.

''When it comes to the semifinal, final and quarterfinal, it is not about how many goals you score that matters, but how can you qualify - that's the most important thing.

''We score our goal and we defend properly, then we win.

''We have created so many scoring chances in this tournament, but we haven’t converted as many as we would like.''
The Super Eagles have the best defense in the tournament with no goal conceded in five matches.

**Igho Kingsley.

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24755

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

Neymar And Son, Davi Lucca Da Silva Santos Pose In Matching Outfits (Photo) / Motivating Story Of Odion Ighalo Who Dodged Bullets On His Way Up / Jose Mourinho Reveals What Will Happen In Man United Vs Barcelona Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.