Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University (10761 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing Your Project Topic / What Is The Role Of A University Chancellor? / What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by holuwajobar(m): 12:48am On Sep 27, 2017
Choosing a school is a decision that can either make or destroy your admission. There are things you should consider before making a final decision about your school choice. Without you considering all these, I tell you, you might get frustrated later in that school. There are a lot of things you should consider before choosing a university but I will mention few of them;
Location of the school
Before you can make decision about choosing a school, you must put location into consideration. I have heard of student that choose a school just because of they want to be far from home, but I tell you, you might later regret your decision because it is a wrong motive in choosing the school you want to study. I have a friend who live here in Lagos but study at FUTMINNA, I’m very sure the guy is regretting because he can’t come home anytime he likes due to the amount of transport fare he will likely spend.

Strike history of the school
I am very sure you don’t want to use seven years to study a course of 4-5 years. Do you doubt? There are universities in Nigeria that goes on strike on a daily basis. I know of a candidate that choose LAUTECH this year JAMB just because his sister is attending the school. But he failed to know that even candidates that sat for JAMB exam last year have not resume in LAUTECH. What a school!!! I will advise you that you should go online and research about schools that do strike.

Catchment area of the school

I know of candidate that couldn’t gain admission in a school just because his state was not among the catchment area of the school. Some people fail to understand what catchment area means; but I will shed more light on it. Catchment area can be described as states that will be considered admission if they do not meet the cut off mark. For example, catchment areas for UNILAG are Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Osun, and Oyo. How does this works? Simple!!! Assuming student A from Jigawa state and student B from Osun state Has 250 and 240 in JAMB respectively. In UNILAG, student B will be considered because he is from the catchment area despite having a lower mark compared to student A from Jigawa. Understood?

Competition in the school

I don’t know how desperate you are for this admission but I will advise you not to choose high competitive schools if you really want admission this year. There are some low competitive schools that you can consider and I promise you that you won’t regret it. You can’t compare a student that choose UNILAG and got 260 in JAMB with a student that chose DELSU and got 260 in JAMB. The student that choose DELSU have high chances of admission than the student the applied for UNILAG despite have same JAMB score with same course.

Previous years’ cut-off mark

Cut-off mark is what determines your admission into a school. But you can actually predict the cut-off mark for this year based on the previous year cut-off mark. Before you can make your final decision in choosing your preferred school, go online and make some research about their last five years cut-off marks, by doing so, you can possibly predict this year’s cut-off mark. In a notchet, make research about the previous years’ cut-off mark before choosing a school.

www.admissiontipz..com/2017/07/things-you-should-consider-before.html
copied from www.admissiontipz..com

Cc: lalasticlala Fynestboi Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by holuwajobar(m): 6:45am On Sep 27, 2017
visit www.admissiontipz..com for more admission tips
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by ipobarecriminals: 7:10am On Sep 27, 2017
sad d3m jambite nor go read this thread,u'll see them in tecno, 2face, girls showing bweast and yansh post.Gone are the days of PA Awolowo

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by merryossai(m): 7:12am On Sep 27, 2017
a
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by MustiizRaja(m): 7:13am On Sep 27, 2017
more reason why am a certified graduate of UNILORIN

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by jojothegreat(m): 7:14am On Sep 27, 2017
Ok
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by Genea(f): 7:18am On Sep 27, 2017
Really? Well u made some valid point but ur money matters also besides if u have written jamb a lot of times u won't be thinking bout which sch ur mind wud just b shouting lemme just enter abeg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by Macfish1977: 7:24am On Sep 27, 2017
TRUE coolTRUE
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by Florblu(f): 7:25am On Sep 27, 2017
Citing LAUTECH as example is uncalled for.If you had check their calendar you will see LAUTECH is not known for Strike. There are other schools you should have mentioned like my great Alma Mata

#OAUAlumni

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by SUNNAPO(m): 7:27am On Sep 27, 2017
U talk well

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by nenergy(m): 7:28am On Sep 27, 2017
Choose? You want to tay for house? In Nigeria, you don't choose university, university choose you grin

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by Nedfed(m): 7:34am On Sep 27, 2017
Florblu:
Citing LAUTECH as example is uncalled for.If you had check their calendar you will see LAUTECH is not known for Strike. There are other schools you should have mentioned like my great Alma Mata

#OAUAlumni

I'll rather learn Tailor than going to Lautech.
Lautech and strike are un-separated

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by fineyemi(m): 7:42am On Sep 27, 2017
Good point OP.
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by salesforce: 8:33am On Sep 27, 2017
Good
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by uthwasoft: 8:40am On Sep 27, 2017
Nedfed:

I'll rather learn Tailor than going to Lautech.
Lautech and strike are un-separated

I sorry 4 ur condition (in sade's voice). u must surely be the best man on earth now, fool!
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by syncACE(m): 10:15am On Sep 27, 2017
lautech lautech....that school must be a terrorist organization... grin grin
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by FunmyKemmy(f): 10:26am On Sep 27, 2017
cool.
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by sirusX(m): 11:44am On Sep 27, 2017
holuwajobar:

Catchment area of the school

I know of candidate that couldn’t gain admission in a
school just because his state was not among the
catchment area of the school. Some people fail to
understand what catchment area means; but I will shed
more light on it.
Catchment area can be described as states that will be
considered admission if they do not meet the cut off
mark. For example, catchment areas for UNILAG are Ekiti,
Lagos, Ogun, Osun, and Oyo. How does this works?
Simple!!! Assuming student A from Jigawa state and
student B from Osun state Has 250 and 240 in JAMB
respectively. In UNILAG, student B will be considered
because he is from the catchment area despite having a
lower mark compared to student A from Jigawa.
Understood?

There are few details missing from the catchment area writeup...

For those in the catchment area they have a lower cut off than the regular, so they still have that as a target to meet

so if from your example, the catchment area cutoff mark is 241 (despite if the regular cutoff was 245 or 249), the Osun state student has no chance cz he/she was given an advantage that wasn't capitalized on...meanwhile the Jigawa candidate gets in with no hustle

In addition....what about those from Educationally Less Developed States ELDs?? ...over low dey worry their cutoff undecided
You go fear quota system by the federal government

Your Jigawa example follow...e be like say na to port state of origin follow shocked

- Adamawa
- Bauchi
- Bayelsa
- Benue
- Borno
- Cross River
- Ebonyi
- Gombe
- Jigawa
- Kaduna
- Kano
- Kastina
- Kebbi
- Koggi
- Kwara
- Nasarawa
- Niger
- Plateu
- Rivers
- Sokoto
- Taraba
- Yobe and
- Zamfara

In conclusion:
ANALYSIS OF UTME QUOTA (for example)

MERIT 45%
CATCHMENT 35%
EDUCATIONALLY LESS DEVELOPED STATES (ELDS) 20%
TOTAL 100%
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by samzzycash(m): 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2017
If Lautech offers me admission freely plus scholarship I won't go.. My brother has been in 100l for 3years while me don dey 300l.. I pity the future of those wey they run Lautech including the lectures, i can only imagine the amount of curses wey dey fall on their head every minute
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by hadow(m): 2:10pm On Sep 27, 2017
Florblu:

#OAUAlumni
oau has actually restructurd tanks to d 4ma actin vc elujoba
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by MedicalSamwise(m): 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2017
Florblu:

#OAUAlumni

madam lautech is not even a school.... a school that runs A SEMESTER for 2 YEARS is that one a school
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by holuwajobar(m): 9:20pm On Sep 27, 2017
sirusX:

There are few details missing from the catchment area writeup...

For those in the catchment area they have a lower cut off than the regular, so they still have that as a target to meet

so if from your example, the catchment area cutoff mark is 241 (despite if the regular cutoff was 245 or 249), the Osun state student has no chance cz he/she was given an advantage that wasn't capitalized on...meanwhile the Jigawa candidate gets in with no hustle

In addition....what about those from Educationally Less Developed States ELDs?? ...over low dey worry their cutoff undecided
You go fear quota system by the federal government

Your Jigawa example follow...e be like say na to port state of origin follow shocked

- Adamawa
- Bauchi
- Bayelsa
- Benue
- Borno
- Cross River
- Ebonyi
- Gombe
- Jigawa
- Kaduna
- Kano
- Kastina
- Kebbi
- Koggi
- Kwara
- Nasarawa
- Niger
- Plateu
- Rivers
- Sokoto
- Taraba
- Yobe and
- Zamfara

In conclusion:
ANALYSIS OF UTME QUOTA (for example)

MERIT 45%
CATCHMENT 35%
EDUCATIONALLY LESS DEVELOPED STATES (ELDS) 20%
TOTAL 100%
thanks for the contribution

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by sirusX(m): 11:04pm On Sep 27, 2017
holuwajobar:
thanks for the contribution
You’re welcome
Re: Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University by OliviaNell: 5:07pm On Feb 09, 2021
First of all, it is worth noting that it is not so much the environment and the prestige of the institution that is important, but the teacher himself, who would gently and skillfully lead him along the path of knowledge, without discouraging the desire for further training. It is the teacher who lays the foundation in the child's mind on which the walls of his knowledge will be built. Therefore, when choosing bilingual school brussels for a student, make sure that the teacher meets the expectations of your child, both in appearance and in communication style.

(1) (Reply)

How Old Is Your Sim Card Today? / Federal Government College Entrance Examination / Pictures Of Recommended Books For Jamb (utme) And Post - Utme With Free-download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.