Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering (24328 Views)

Nigerians Saw A Self-Driving Car For The First Time & Mobbed The Car (Pic,Video) / Uber's Self-driving Car Just Killed A Pedestrian. / Driver Charged Over Driving Car With a Set of Pliers!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Bmedels26(f): 6:23pm On Sep 28, 2017
The whole point of a self-driving car is that you, the occupant, don’t have to do any driving. Yet Toyota’s newest autonomous car adds a steering wheel instead of subtracting one.

The new rig is a Lexus LS 600hL and Toyota Research Institute chief technology officer James Kuffner calls it “the most perceptive car in the world” according to The Verge. That perception comes from a heavy dose of technology like LIDAR, radar, and a bunch of cameras inside and out of the car keeping eyes on the road, the surroundings, and the driver.

TRI is using an undisclosed number of these mules to test out two different autonomous research systems. Toyota calls them Chauffeur and Guardian which are Level 4 and Level 5 autonomy, respectively. Level 4 autonomy limits the car to certain areas that are already mapped out and Level 5 is full automation intended to work anywhere.

The most curious thing about this Lexus is the presence of two steering wheels. The one on the left is to drive the car normally and the one on the right is, apparently, to let the car drive itself without anyone in the driver’s seat. So it sounds like it’s really just there to give you the option of sitting on the other side of the car if you want. A driver has to be in the car in case of an emergency and in this Lexus that can be done from either side, for some reason.

That isn’t the only goofy thing about this autonomous Lexus. Overall, it kind of looks like an experimental autonomous car from ten years ago. It has very obviously placed cameras all over the place and doesn’t look nearly as clean as autonomous testing units like the Waymo Chrysler Pacifica or the notably normal looking autonomous Ford Fusion. Granted, every experimental autonomous car starts looks goofy in its own right like the Cruise Automation Chevy Bolt that wears what look like a goal post on its roof, but this Lexus just looks sort of cobbled together with no attempt at subtlety. It’s almost like it was thrown together so Toyota can say it’s working on self-driving tech too.

Toyota has some catching up to do in the world of autonomy. Here’s hoping this silly-looking Lexus can help the brand gain some ground.
http://carfreaksng.com/2017/09/28/toyotas-new-self-driving-car-two-steering/

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Nutase: 6:45pm On Sep 28, 2017
Auto Confusion

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by mayor2013: 9:38pm On Sep 28, 2017
Nutase:
Auto Confusion

grin grin

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Eromzi(m): 7:12am On Sep 29, 2017
ok
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 29, 2017
This makes no sense to me.

8 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by pafestula(m): 7:13am On Sep 29, 2017
The second steering is ugly and disfigured the interior.

8 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Achillesdam500(m): 7:14am On Sep 29, 2017
Must they compromise the term development in a bid to compete and be distinct cry crap
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by tbanj07(m): 7:14am On Sep 29, 2017
Make me and my guy dey argue inside car and we no reach better agreement he go just change am gimmie drive us enta lagoon...aje a wa oooo!!!

7 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by fraudbad: 7:15am On Sep 29, 2017
I've heard multiple times "ONLY THE IGBOS ARE GOOD AT BUSINESS".
I also heard "THE IGBOS CONTROL THE ECONOMY OF THIS NATION".
To be sure, i checked the forbe list for top business men in Africa.
Instead of placing an igbo man on top of the list, i saw an hausa man(Dangote). I went a little further, hoping to see igbo names on the list. The result is "heartbreak". I saw six(6) Yoruba names following Dangote closely.
Isn't this injustice TOO?
Please, somebody should go and delete those names and put igbo names there.
We have been told that hausas are beggars and yorubas are lazy; so, delete their names and put igbo names there. Don't you know the Igbos are everything in this country?

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by profsho1(m): 7:16am On Sep 29, 2017
Bring it come Naija, our local mechanics will convert it to the extent that oyinbo no go recognise it

7 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by noskcid(m): 7:16am On Sep 29, 2017
Na wa oo
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by lilmax(m): 7:16am On Sep 29, 2017
I don't want to believe this, it's crap
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 29, 2017
Pilot n assistant pilot.
Those of you who had dreams of becoming pilots, look for yourselves and get this new toy n pretend it's a Plane.

3 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by sylve11: 7:29am On Sep 29, 2017
Nutase:
Auto Confusion
nor be lie grin cool

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by iambabaG: 7:31am On Sep 29, 2017
The OP is as confused as the car.. A Toyota with Lexus symbols.. Smh!
With all the latest technology at their disposal..
This is simply horrendous!!
Very ugly, unpleasant to the eyes and lacks innovation!

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by niceeric(m): 7:40am On Sep 29, 2017
iambabaG:
who come get the Lexus brand if no b Toyota

7 Likes

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Noblebrown7(m): 7:46am On Sep 29, 2017
Na 4 hands I qet?
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by jomoh: 7:58am On Sep 29, 2017
This is obviously still under test run before final design is made.
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by XCLUX(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
Why not make the other steering smaller
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by bid4rich(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2017
iambabaG:

Anywhere you see Audi, you should know that you have seen Volkswagen. So also, anywhere you see Lexus; you have seen Toyota biko

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by DukeNija(m): 8:03am On Sep 29, 2017
fraudbad:
Instead of placing an igbo man on top of the list, i saw an hausa man(Dangote). I went a little further, hoping to see igbo names on the list. The result is "heartbreak". I saw six(6) Yoruba names following Dangote closely.
We have been told that hausas are beggars and yorubas are lazy; so, delete their names and put igbo names there. Don't you know the Igbos are everything in this country?

You just proved the Igbos right. By makin them the essence of your existence. It's obvious the Igbos are so significant, hence your obsession.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Ifyone123(f): 8:18am On Sep 29, 2017
fraudbad:
and yet you can boast dat nigeria is a great country abi?

1 Like

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Kobicove(m): 8:23am On Sep 29, 2017
The second steering wheel is possibly a dummy with little or no effect on the movement of the car undecided
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Toluene15: 8:24am On Sep 29, 2017
Lexus + Toyota = Confusion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by FunmyKemmy(f): 8:26am On Sep 29, 2017
cool.
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by Chuksemi(m): 8:35am On Sep 29, 2017
Someone said Auto Confusion. grin
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by DONORJIR(m): 8:36am On Sep 29, 2017
spidey77:
[/quote] My GOD bet9ja don finish this guy, stand for goal goal grin[quote author=spidey77 post=60932388]
My GOD bet9ja don finish this guy, stand for goal goal
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by donqx: 8:44am On Sep 29, 2017
oh
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by wildchild1: 8:59am On Sep 29, 2017
Way to Go

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION
Re: Toyota’s New Self-driving Car Has Two Steering by baddosky1: 9:10am On Sep 29, 2017
fraudbad:

Your hatred for Igbos made you sleepless last night that you couldn't just wait to wake up and post this trash! Get well soon!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5997444_deadbrain_jpeg40c071a6d9f47696db5e0af353f96aaf

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How I Narrowly Escaped Vehicle Impoundment in Lagos / The Chainless S1 Bicycle Gets Its Power From Tungsten Steel Gears / Hilarious Photos of Things People Use To Repair Their Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.