Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria (22780 Views)

BDC Operators Shut Down Business In Abuja / Y Combinator-Backed Fintech, Pivo Africa Is Shutting Down - TechCabal / Correct Facts About Why P&G Is Shutting Down Its $300 Million Agbara Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Ghokes(m): 4:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
Eeyah
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by iconlegend(m): 4:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
Let's continue to pray for indigenous companies in Nigeria.
Why Sim Shagaya again ?
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by DJperdurabo: 4:42pm On Sep 29, 2017
Entrepreneurship is not an easy thang at all!

Moreso with a business environment that's as unfriendly as Nigeria. Me thinks that there are certain businesses that are "built" for the Nigerian market. If one can key into such businesses the rest as they say is history.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by macaranta(m): 4:52pm On Sep 29, 2017
Saddening...
Visit my signature
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by OmoManU: 4:53pm On Sep 29, 2017
why
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by gabicon: 4:59pm On Sep 29, 2017
Bad strategy, started it in 16 states n no user base charge for a year shocked ,with how big uber is they did not start in two states at same time, they consolidated in lagos n moved to abuja after finding footing. internet penetration in Nigeria is still very poor not to talk of its literacy, most people are not apps savvy, they only know about social media in the sense of facebook, IG and the gossip sites. another problem with the e-business is that we lack integrity hence nobody is willing to risk his money online. I dont classify this as a fail though, I mean Jumia just posted an over $51 million loss, not to talk of the others, the fact is doing business in Nigeria is difficult, it from one constrain to the other.

1 Like

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Egein(m): 5:08pm On Sep 29, 2017
T0MMY:
Like if this is your first time of hearing about this company. undecided

You're highly likely based in Damaturu, Ogbomosho or somewhere in the deepest recess of a far-flung hinterland.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by joinnow: 5:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
Still counting........
Biz going down
After now bureau of statistics will say otherwise.
Bad policy from bad government frustrating biz cry

1 Like

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Rumplesteelskin: 5:21pm On Sep 29, 2017
It is in their name already. cheesy
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Kay512: 5:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
magoo10:
Over a thousand businesses have been shut down due to the ineptitudes of the clueless one,the dullard have partically de market the Nigerian economy.

It actually is about the Nigerian culture, trust and security issues. Not so many Nigerians can share ride with strangers.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Kay512: 5:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
Egein:

You're highly likely based in Damaturu, Ogbomosho or somewhere in the deepest recess of a far-flung hinterland.

Aha. Ogbomoso has Ladoke Akintola University of Technology na
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
Hmmmmm.......with the spate of kidnapping and ritual killing in the country, I won't risk my life sharing a car with people I know next to nothing about in the name of GoMyWay. I'd rather FindMyWay instead. It would have made a good business investment but people value their lives more.

6 Likes

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by henryobinna(m): 5:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
nextstep:
The notion of a running service while building a userbase haunts very many companies and it's hard to[b] convince non-payers to become paying.[/b] Very few investors want see a company that costs a lot to run, with no revenues.
you're very right, very hardto make them start paying. I tried that on one of my site, it was a flop and
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 29, 2017
Jumia company just posted a loss.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Tedpgrass: 5:33pm On Sep 29, 2017
****has he looked at crowdfunding
unusual in NGA but sth to consider given large user base
**** incentivise people to spread the word with tokens
**** add more value--- quarterly or monthly competitions with free dinner/ club/ event tickets
**** consider norminal.joining and or monthly fee

just a few suggestions
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by SalamRushdie: 5:34pm On Sep 29, 2017
jeeqaa7:
Gomyway down.. Jumia hits losses
Less than 40 hours left and Dstv is a thing of the past

I hope you are nor refering to that content less TSTV
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Lothario(m): 5:53pm On Sep 29, 2017
openmine:
grin grin no more GEJ?
The guy dey rest now ehn
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by kevoh(m): 6:11pm On Sep 29, 2017
Never heard of them. Nairaland, LIB and Facebook ads would have increased their userbase.

1 Like

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Sezua(m): 6:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
Kay512:

Aha. Ogbomoso has Ladoke Akintola University of Technology na
A school that operates two months in a year
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Hotfreeze: 6:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
Sezua:

A school that operates two months in a year

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 6:23pm On Sep 29, 2017
Uber itself is operating at a loss and so is Jumia.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Egie4real: 6:31pm On Sep 29, 2017
What was the business plan in the first place? Grown your subscribers base then just pull out! Strange idea.

paulstrings:
GoMyWay is a ride-sharing marketplace connecting passengers with ride owners going along the same route and have empty seats to spare.

Go My Way was founded by Damilola Teidi and Sim Shagaya Konga CEO on the board.

I registered on the platform in 2015 during my NYSC and I saw huge potential in the online ridesharing platform. It was one of the earliest ridesharing platforms in the country.

Jekalo {A CcHub ridesharing app} and GoMyWay launched around the same period, but I think GoMy way was more consistent and popular.

They might not have the resources like UBER and Taxify, but they have lots of dedicated subscribers and an excellent service.

Here is the mail I got from the CEO

=================================================================================

Hi Paul ,

I hope you are doing well. It is with deep regret that I write this email to let you know that GoMyWay will be closing down. In this email, I'll let you know why we are closing as well as offer an alternative service. I hope you take a few minutes to read.

In 2015, I was hired as the CEO, via recommendation by my previous employers, to run GoMyWay. The plan by its Shareholders/Investors was to run a free service for a year or two, and focus on growing the user-base.

Over the last 2 years, the team put in time and effort to growing the business and building a trusted ridesharing community. We went from less than 1000 members in the first few months to 12,000+ members; 106,630 rides offered and rides shared across 16 states. However, it does take a lot of resources to run this business and the initial plan was no longer sustainable. The Shareholders/Investors came to a conclusion to shut down operations and close the business as there were no funds to invest further.

I want to specially thank you for your support. I believe GoMyWay had the best community and I can write a few pages about it. We had users who spread the word about us even when we had no referral codes to give in return. I remember when Yinka visited a member and he had mentioned how everyone in his office now uses GoMyWay through him. We had users who were always available to share amazing ideas with us. It's no surprise that the second highest acquisition channel was referrals/word of mouth.

It does break our hearts to end this wonderful community and we did try to keep it going, but the team has decided to keep the platform running till the end of October. From today, the signup page will no longer be accessible and customer support would also be winding down.

I'm so proud of everyone that worked on GoMyWay. The business was blessed to have the most dedicated and hardworking staff who put in more than their time into this. Some of our users have come in contact with our staff, so they know I am not exaggerating. Thank you Yinka, Favour, Segun, Ope, Ayo, Busayo, Doyin and all the contract staff and interns that worked with us. God bless you immensely.

Lastly, I felt it would be unfair to leave you and other users hanging with no alternative; so, if you are resident in Lagos and in need of an affordable ride to/from work, please check out the guys at Shuttlers who run an affordable shuttle service for professionals. If interested, fill out their form HERE

Thank you very much, Paul; and please feel free to reply this email if you would like to reach me. I will try to reply to as many as possible.

With Love,

Damilola

GoMyWay.com
===========================================================================

My Opinion

If the Investors were actually pulling out, it could have been sourced to New investors instead of collapsing the entire platform.

Look at the statistics
12,000+ members.
106,630 rides.
Plenty great reviews across the internet.

With the above statistics, They pull in a new set of investors or go into partnership with another company.
I see that they are presently referring their customers to another platform{Shuttle.ng} which might suggest a partnership deal or something similar though they promised to keep the platform running till October 2017.

Whatever the reasons are, I feel GoMyWay could still be saved.

Source: http://lifeafternysc.com/gomyway-is-shutting-down-business-operations/

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by ponpin234(m): 6:36pm On Sep 29, 2017
How can i get in contact with the CEO, an email will be of help. Thanks
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by bejeria101(m): 6:52pm On Sep 29, 2017
paulstrings:
GoMyWay is a ride-sharing marketplace connecting passengers with ride owners going along the same route and have empty seats to spare.

Go My Way was founded by Damilola Teidi and Sim Shagaya Konga CEO on the board.

I registered on the platform in 2015 during my NYSC and I saw huge potential in the online ridesharing platform. It was one of the earliest ridesharing platforms in the country.

Jekalo {A CcHub ridesharing app} and GoMyWay launched around the same period, but I think GoMy way was more consistent and popular.

They might not have the resources like UBER and Taxify, but they have lots of dedicated subscribers and an excellent service.

Here is the mail I got from the CEO

=================================================================================

Hi Paul ,

I hope you are doing well. It is with deep regret that I write this email to let you know that GoMyWay will be closing down. In this email, I'll let you know why we are closing as well as offer an alternative service. I hope you take a few minutes to read.

In 2015, I was hired as the CEO, via recommendation by my previous employers, to run GoMyWay. The plan by its Shareholders/Investors was to run a free service for a year or two, and focus on growing the user-base.

Over the last 2 years, the team put in time and effort to growing the business and building a trusted ridesharing community. We went from less than 1000 members in the first few months to 12,000+ members; 106,630 rides offered and rides shared across 16 states. However, it does take a lot of resources to run this business and the initial plan was no longer sustainable. The Shareholders/Investors came to a conclusion to shut down operations and close the business as there were no funds to invest further.

I want to specially thank you for your support. I believe GoMyWay had the best community and I can write a few pages about it. We had users who spread the word about us even when we had no referral codes to give in return. I remember when Yinka visited a member and he had mentioned how everyone in his office now uses GoMyWay through him. We had users who were always available to share amazing ideas with us. It's no surprise that the second highest acquisition channel was referrals/word of mouth.

It does break our hearts to end this wonderful community and we did try to keep it going, but the team has decided to keep the platform running till the end of October. From today, the signup page will no longer be accessible and customer support would also be winding down.

I'm so proud of everyone that worked on GoMyWay. The business was blessed to have the most dedicated and hardworking staff who put in more than their time into this. Some of our users have come in contact with our staff, so they know I am not exaggerating. Thank you Yinka, Favour, Segun, Ope, Ayo, Busayo, Doyin and all the contract staff and interns that worked with us. God bless you immensely.

Lastly, I felt it would be unfair to leave you and other users hanging with no alternative; so, if you are resident in Lagos and in need of an affordable ride to/from work, please check out the guys at Shuttlers who run an affordable shuttle service for professionals. If interested, fill out their form HERE

Thank you very much, Paul; and please feel free to reply this email if you would like to reach me. I will try to reply to as many as possible.

With Love,

Damilola

GoMyWay.com
===========================================================================

My Opinion

If the Investors were actually pulling out, it could have been sourced to New investors instead of collapsing the entire platform.

Look at the statistics
12,000+ members.
106,630 rides.
Plenty great reviews across the internet.

With the above statistics, They pull in a new set of investors or go into partnership with another company.
I see that they are presently referring their customers to another platform{Shuttle.ng} which might suggest a partnership deal or something similar though they promised to keep the platform running till October 2017.

Whatever the reasons are, I feel GoMyWay could still be saved.

Source: http://lifeafternysc.com/gomyway-is-shutting-down-business-operations/

Very true it can be outsourced to potential investors. Its an awesome idea and shouldnt be allowed to die
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Chartey(m): 9:15pm On Sep 29, 2017
stcool:

Why wont it be your first time when all you do on the net is browse nairaland. grin
GoMyWay advertised on Nairaland
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by IkpuMmadu: 9:22pm On Sep 29, 2017
Out of 180 million users you only have 12,000 and you call it a success....well it ain't and I have to be honest with you..most of these start up must learn how to go into branding and visibility .

That's why we are here for em

It's unfortunate but live goes on

Word of mouth ain't enough
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by alakuko: 10:15pm On Sep 29, 2017
I had same idea October 2014. I returned from my annual leave in December 2014 to get developers to work on same. I considered the security situation in nigeria and that is how my idea went down. I was surprise when I saw gomyway. It was as if we are thinking same. However, goodluck to you guy in future endeavour. Nigeria environment has inhibit lots of promising businesses. God help us

1 Like

Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by OracleE(m): 11:18pm On Sep 29, 2017
kagari:
My instinct tells me this is a form of sympathetic marketing. I don't think they are leaving the market. I
Why leave the market now with such market base. might be wrong though

A large market base that is not translating to a continuous paying base is more or less nothing for a profit oriented organization
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by bellyjean(m): 8:47am On Sep 30, 2017
I feel for them though. And for those saying this was caused by buahari, NO it wasn't . I also had this business idea, exactly this one, but I didn't know it had been on ground before I even conceived mine. cheesy

I had sleepless nights trying to develop a sustainable model for this business, trust me I still haven't formulated the ultimate one. The idea is to start first with trust: build an atmosphere of trust, create a culture of integrity and we give the assurance of security. My business wasn't going to be free, but it will be the cheapest you will get anywhere, enough to fuel the driver's vehicle and the benefit of companionship.

I didn't plan to compete with transport companies at the start, but with a bigger customer base which we must have built on trust, and integrity, we can easily scale up.

But the issue with the Nigerian business atmosphere is that there is a deep rooted trust problem in the society. Nigerians are wicked, conniving and manipulative. A platform like this would be pervaded and infiltrated by kidnappers and ritualists. Even Uber couldn't avoid this.

But this is where the funds of your investors come in. I planned to employ customer care and computer guys of all sorts, deploy a tracking app, which enables both the driver and the hiker to check in at intervals throughout the whole journey and of course when each gets to his destination. But this is deeper and more complex than I can pen down here.

But we can always seek ideas, employ the best minds and improve on an existing model.

And that is one of the issues tech business must seek to overcome if we must be at the fore front of innovation.

We must develop a new culture, tradition different from the ones we were brought up with. We must have good experiences that will be ingrained in our minds and of course the future generations that we value lives, we respect every nigerian's unalienable right to life, and that the quest for riches doesn't erode our values and virtues.

God help us in this country.
Re: Gomyway Is Shutting Down Business Operations In Nigeria by Kobicove(m): 11:44am On Sep 30, 2017
Never heard of them until now

(1) (2) (Reply)

UPDATED: How To Make $900 Online Monthly. Get In Now. / N50 Stamp Duty: CBN Exempts Salary Accounts, Self-to-self Transactions / What Kind Of Small Business Can 100,000naira Do In Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.