Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1259733 members, 1702067 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 October 2014 at 01:37 PM

"I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia (7969 Views)

Col. Achuzia Say Awo And Gowon Were Behind Genocide / Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell / Heroes Across The Divide - Efiong, Achuzia (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Ibime(m): 3:13am On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

Are you not able to discuss issues without resorting to insults? You jumped in the middle of a debate without trying to understand the contexts in which certain comments were made.

Lagos was a strategic target and in the context of the war, nothing should preclude Biafra from capturing it. It has however, been argued by several Biafrans that, they were not invading the West but were merely trying to liberate it from Northern forces. If you have never read Ojukwu's letter to Victor Banjo, then try to read it. Up on till that moment, Gowon was using mainly northern military personnel. Nigerian 1st Division had also, only attacked Biafra from the North through Benue. It was in this context that we were debating.

I try to have sensible and mature debates with all kinds of posters on these forums and I never resort to direct insults. If you are unable to have intelligent debates and discussions without resorting to immature and petty insults, then I suggest you back off sucking my d.1.c.k. 

I know your type, you are bullied by your colleagues, friends, wife, and girlfriends and then you take out your frustration by insulting strangers on anonymous forums.

hehehehe. . . . whats funny is that my comment was tongue in cheek, and was supposed to be interpreted as the contemporary definition of the word "tool" as opposed to "f00l".

But from your response, I can see that I should have used the original meaning of the word "f00l" to contextualise your intellectual and temperamental disposition.

Imagine an like yourself making this statement:

Katsumoto:

Biafra never obtained any form of assurances from the West before advancing. If you have any information to the contrary, then provide it. The minute that the BAF started the advance through the midwest, everyone knew where they were going. From the start of the advance on the 9th of August until the 21st when the retreat started, the Western leaders had almost 2 weeks to contact Banjo.

In the absence of any evidence pointing to an alliance between the West and the East and the consequent advance of Biafran troops towards the West, why would the West remain neutral? Playing defensive is a bad strategy. Would the West have trusted that Biafran troops would not have advanced on its territory again?

then backtracking by saying this:

Katsumoto:

Lagos was a strategic target and in the context of the war, nothing should preclude Biafra from capturing it.

hmmmm. . . . it speaks for itself. . .

Like I've said (and for the last time), Western Nigeria automatically became at war with Biafra the minute Nigeria declared war on Biafra. You dont need to go to military or diplomat school to understand that simple fact.

The West was never neutral as you claim. . . and was a legitimate war front in the war between Nigeria and Biafra from the moment Gowon declared war.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by diobi: 3:19am On Mar 10, 2010
Ibime:

hehehehe. . . . whats funny is that my comment was tongue in cheek, and was supposed to be interpreted as the contemporary definition of the word "tool" as opposed to "f00l".

But from your response, I can see that I should have used the original meaning of the word "f00l" to contextualise your intellectual and temperamental disposition.

Imagine an like yourself making this statement:

then backtracking by saying this:

hmmmm. . . . it speaks for itself. . .

Like I've said (and for the last time), Western Nigeria automatically became at war with Biafra the minute Nigeria declared war on Biafra. You dont need to go to military or diplomat school to understand that simple fact.

The West was never neutral as you claim. . . and was a legitimate war front in the war between Nigeria and Biafra from the moment Gowon declared war.

Brilliantly correct. shocked
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by yorubason: 11:32am On Mar 10, 2010
If west was at war with Biafrans as you said, why didn't west act like the north was doing by executing them?. Was it not the same west after the war that Biafrans to exact the Igbos still find space to do business and live safely?. Personally i know everyone has his own story to tell concerning all that went down but make we leave stories and carry on with the disintegration process and insulting people. Who wants the unity of NIGER-AREA in the first place?. Thunder fire niger-area (NIGERIA) INTO CRUMBS IN JESUS NAME AMEN!!!!!. Hell.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Dede1(m): 1:53pm On Mar 10, 2010
@POST

I can not believe the fact that some political minnows and armchair Generals whose feet had never touched a parade ground in their miserable live are soaking up in war strategy  grin. I have always enjoyed discussions evolving war sectors and theaters during Nigeria/Biafra civil war. By December 1969, if I could recall properly, the 2nd Division under the command of Lt Col G S Jallo of Nigerian army had not cross Niger Bridge at Onitsha as the 11th Division under Col P C Amadi of Biafran army refused to cede an inch of estate to the vandals.

The 1st Division under Col Bisalla of Nigerian army had handful of harassments from elements of 13th Division and 15th Division of Biafran army that hand upper hands within the hills and valleys around Lukpa Ugwu and Lukpa Nta in the vicinity of Okigwe.

Also the elements of 1st Division and 3MCDO had a stalemate in their battles within Umuahia/Aba/Ikot Ekpene against the elements of 15th Division and 12th Division under Lt Col Chukwuka and Col Eze of Biafran army respectively.

The 3MCDO under the command of Col Obasanjo of Nigerian army had to contend with elements of “S” Division under the command of Lt Col V. Asoya and 14th Division under Brigadier Ogbugo Kalu.   

The majority of 3MCDO elements had been either seriously disorganized or on their heels scampering towards Port Harcourt as the 60, 63, 68 and 52 Brigades of Biafran army were in hot pursuit. For example, the 16 Brigade that captured Owerri in 1968 was destroyed and famed Major Utuk was momentarily relieved of his command. The Brigade tried to re-organize at Elele Alimini under Captain Buhari. After the debacle at Ogba/Egbema, 15 Brigade under the command of Major Olu Makanjunola was reduced to ineffective force that forced Obasanjo to remove Major Olu and appoint Captain Illuyomade as the new commander of a Brigade that was scattered all over the swamps of Ahoada. The14 Brigade under Major Oni vacated Apani and was resting at Chokocho as it was being chased by the elements of 52 Brigade under the command of Major Frank Okilo of Biafran army.

Meanwhile 3MCDO 17 Brigade under Major Tomoye is holed up in Aba while 12 Brigade under Captain Isemede is isolated in Azumini as the Aba-Port Harcourt road has breached at railway crossing at Owaza/Ozuaku junction. The 13 Brigade under Major Innih was chilling at Ikot Ekpene.

Based on the above stated scenarios couple with the good knowledge of the geography of the war theaters in discourse, I am beginning to believe in the revelations accredited to Chief Achuzie in his latest interview.

@Ibime

You are behaving like a true son of your grandfather. Keep it up.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 2:29pm On Mar 10, 2010
Dede1:

@POST

I can not believe the fact that some political minnows and armchair Generals whose feet had never touch a parade ground in their miserable live are soaking up in war strategy  grin. I have always enjoyed discussions evolving war sectors and theaters during Nigeria/Biafra civil war. By December 1969, if I could recall properly, the 2nd Division under the command of Lt Col G S Jallo of Nigerian army had not cross Niger Bridge at Onitsha as the 11th Division under Col P C Amadi of Biafran army refused to cede an inch of estate to the vandals.

The 1st Division under Col Bisalla of Nigerian army had handful of harassments from elements of 13th Division and 15th Division of Biafran army that hand upper hands within the hills and valleys around Lukpa Ugwu and Lukpa Nta in the vicinity of Okigwe.

Also the elements of 1st Division and 3MCDO had a stalemate in their battles within Umuahia/Aba/Ikot Ekpene against the elements of 15th Division and 12th Division under Lt Col Chukwuka and Col Eze of Biafran army respectively.

The 3MCDO under the command of Col Obasanjo of Nigerian army had to contend with elements of “S” Division under the command of Lt Col V. Asoya and 14th Division under Brigadier Ogbugo Kalu.   

The majority of 3MCDO elements had been either seriously disorganized or on their heels scampering towards Port Harcourt as the 60, 63, 68 and 52 Brigades of Biafran army were in hot pursuit. For example, the 16 Brigade that captured Owerri in 1968 was destroyed and famed Major Utuk was momentarily relieved of his command. The Brigade tried to re-organize at Elele Alimini under Captain Buhari. After the debacle at Ogba/Egbema, 15 Brigade under the command of Major Olu Makanjunola was reduced to ineffective force that forced Obasanjo to remove Major Olu and appoint Captain Illuyomade as the new commander of a Brigade that was scattered all over the swamps of Ahoada. The14 Brigade under Major Oni vacated Apani and was resting at Chokocho as it was being chased by the elements of 52 Brigade under the command of Major Frank Okilo of Biafran army.

Meanwhile 3MCDO 17 Brigade under Major Tomoye is holed up in Aba while 12 Brigade under Captain Isemede is isolated in Azumini as the Aba-Port Harcourt road has breached at railway crossing at Owaza/Ozuaku junction. The 13 Brigade under Major Innih is chilling at Ikot Ekpene.

Based on the above stated scenarios couple with the good knowledge of the geography of the war theaters in discourse, I am beginning to believe in the revelations accredited to Chief Achuzie in his latest interview.

@Ibime

You are behaving like a true son of your grandfather. Keep it up.

So the Biafrans were dealing with the Nigerians but the Biafrans surrendered to the Nigerians. There is a difference between what is on record and what was handed down through moonlight story-telling. Some of the information posted above may have some element of truth in it but the fact is that at the end of the day, Biafra was subdued and they surrendered.

I guess you will congratulate Ibime for stating that Lagos was a strategic target but when the arguments suits you, you change your mindand state that the BEF were on there way to Lagos to liberate the West from the clutches of Gowon. I have heard this argument many times from OnlyTruth, Eziachi and others. It appears that you Biafrans can not get your stories accurately. On Monday, you are going to help the Yoruba drive the Hausa soldiers from their soil; on Wednesday, Lagos was a strategic target and you were going to attack it.

I hope Eziachi and OnlyTruth are reading this because we can not keep having multiple hypothetical arguments. So I will from now henceforth argue on the basis that the BEF were attacking the West and were expelled. After the expulsion, they got their a.s.s.e.s handed to them.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Eziachi: 4:23pm On Mar 10, 2010
mama-gee:

Another attempt to gain attention all to himself
I have never heard of the name "Achuzia" talk less of
believing the idea of him handing over biafra to Obasanjo
BTW, Is Obasanjo Igbo
?

That statement of yours said it all. If you had never heard of Achuzia until now, tell me why I should discuss about Nigeria or Biafra with you? A person that doesn't undersatnd the relationship between cocoa and chocolate should not pretend to be a expert on beverages. All this while, you had been commenting and argueing on issues you knew next to nothing about?
Seriously, I give up
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Bluetooth2: 4:27pm On Mar 10, 2010
we've discussed this issue several times and whenever i see some 'off-point' comments i just wonder why igbo are trying to rewrite an almost forgotten history.biafra ko,biafra ni,
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 4:33pm On Mar 10, 2010
~Bluetooth:

we've discussed this issue several times and whenever i see some 'off-point' comments i just wonder why igbo are trying to rewrite an almost forgotten history.biafra ko,biafra ni,

Its the constant post-shifting by some that pisses me off. You will observe some boast Igbo supremacy and how they dealt with Nigerian troops but as soon as someone points out that Biafra lost, they turn to victims screaming genocide, blockade, shelling, etc
Its impossible to debate with people who can not stand on one ground.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 5:17pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

So the Biafrans were dealing with the Nigerians but the Biafrans surrendered to the Nigerians. There is a difference between what is on record and what was handed down through moonlight story-telling. Some of the information posted above may have some element of truth in it but the fact is that at the end of the day, Biafra was subdued and they surrendered.

I guess you will congratulate Ibime for stating that Lagos was a strategic target but when the arguments suits you, you change your mindand state that the BEF were on there way to Lagos to liberate the West from the clutches of Gowon. I have heard this argument many times from OnlyTruth, Eziachi and others. It appears that you Biafrans can not get your stories accurately. On Monday, you are going to help the Yoruba drive the Hausa soldiers from their soil; on Wednesday, Lagos was a strategic target and you were going to attack it.

I hope Eziachi and OnlyTruth are reading this because we can not keep having multiple hypothetical arguments. So I will from now henceforth argue on the basis that the BEF were attacking the West and were expelled. After the expulsion, they got their a.s.s.e.s handed to them.

If you really follow my posts, you would notice that I hardly enter into areas where I have limited information. In such areas, I rely mainly on logic. I cannot presume to know as much as DEDE1 or Eziachi -unfortunately I was not there when it happened. All I do is to use all the facts we know and then make a logical projection.

I asked you a question earlier in which I wanted to know whether Biafra would have still marched westwards if the capital had been in Abuja. You maintained a stoic silence on that.
Now, Ibime has put up some information which is very logical and could explain part of why Biafra chose to march westwards.

Something still tells me that Biafra was marching to the Nigerian capital at the time which happened to be Lagos, since Nigeria had already declared war and attacked Garkem.
I don't see how a single Biafran division (BEF) could protect the entire west against northern attack. I simply project (based on sound logic and Ibime's latest input) that Biafra was marching to capture the Nigerian capital, and end the war before it escalated into a major conflict.

Biafra could have achieved that if your leaders were a little courageous to stand on the side of truth and history. Your leaders didn't.  sad sad sad
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 5:27pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

Its the constant post-shifting by some that pisses me off. You will observe some boast Igbo supremacy and how they dealt with Nigerian troops but as soon as someone points out that Biafra lost, they turn to victims screaming genocide, blockade, shelling, etc
Its impossible to debate with people who can not stand on one ground.

I hate sensationalism. I don't believe any of the contributors here ever mentioned Igbo supremacy. That is the scare crow your people have used repeatedly against us and our neighbors, leading to the lies and the deaths in Biafra. What is Igbo supremacy
If you mean supremacy of truth over lies, yes of course undecided undecided undecided
But Ibime is NOT Igbo.

Again Achuzia went on record to say these things which I'm starting to believe because, knowing Nigeria and the way it waged the war on Biafra, it doesn't make sense to assume Nigeria simply stopped and didn't kill off all the surrendering Biafran leaders. Why was Achuzia kept incommunicado for 7 years?
Achuzia can say these things now because he understands that times have changed and no one dares touch him now. cool
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

If you really follow my posts, you would notice that I hardly enter into areas where I have limited information. In such areas, I rely mainly on logic. I cannot presume to know as much as DEDE1 or Eziachi -unfortunately I was not there when it happened. All I do is to use all the facts we know and then make a logical projection.

I asked you a question earlier in which I wanted to know whether Biafra would have still marched westwards if the capital had been in Abuja. You maintained a stoic silence on that.
Now, Ibime has put up some information which is very logical and could explain part of why Biafra chose to march westwards.

Something still tells me that Biafra was marching to the Nigerian capital at the time which happened to be Lagos, since Nigeria had already declared war and attacked Garkem.
I don't see how a single Biafran division (BEF) could protect the entire west against northern attack. I simply presume (based on sound logic and Ibime's latest input) that Biafra was marching to capture the Nigerian capital, and end the war before it escalated into a major conflict.

Biafra could have achieved that if your leaders were a little courageous to stand on the side of truth and history. Your leaders didn't.  sad sad sad

What Ibime's latest input are you talking about? It has been suggested over the years that the Biafrans were invading Lagos but that suggestion has been countered by several Biafrans arguing that they were going to Liberate Lagos from the Northerners. It is for the sake of debate, that I have entertained such a notion. Logic dictates that they were trying to capture Lagos for several reasons:
1. Lagos was the capital
2. Western region was not in bondage
3. There was no agreement between Ojukwu and the Western leaders; consequently, any force was always going to be unwelcomed.
4. The BEF was not large enough to protect a whole region

There was no way that the BEF could have ended the conflict by just simply marching into Lagos. Lagos had several brigades and there were still brigades in Kaduna that had not yet being engaged in the war. Were there boys scouts in Lagos? If the BEF did not stop at Ore and continued down to Lagos, it would have been caught between Adekunle's brigades in Lagos and the Pursuing brigades under Murtala or whoever was leading it. Attacking Lagos was a good idea but the fact is that Biafra lacked the resources (personnel and equipment) to adequately engage both Murtala and Adekunle's brigades. The only real outcome would have been that the West would have equally become a battleground for a short time.

I will now answer your question about whether Biafra would have marched towards Abuja if it were the capital. The reason that the BEF was able to get to Ore easily was because the mid-west was unprotected. The BEF did not defeat any forces in the mid-west. In fact, it was because the BEF strolled through the mid-west that Murtala's division killed men at Asaba. I suspect that Biafra might have tried to invade Abuja if it was the capital but it would have faced more military resistance in doing so because Shuwa could have easily sent brigades to meet it since Shuwa's troops were already advancing on Enugu. Murtala's brigades from Kaduna would have also been sent down to assist any troops under Shuwa.

However, you look at it, Biafran high command made many strategic errors. Plus Biafra were out-gunned and outmanned.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 5:59pm On Mar 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

I hate sensationalism. I don't believe any of the contributors here ever mentioned Igbo supremacy. That is the scare crow your people have used repeatedly against us and our neighbors, leading to the lies and the deaths in Biafra. What is Igbo supremacy
If you mean supremacy of truth over lies, yes of course undecided undecided undecided
But Ibime is NOT Igbo.

Again Achuzia went on record to say these things which I'm starting to believe because, knowing Nigeria and the way it waged the war on Biafra, it doesn't make sense to assume Nigeria simply stopped and didn't kill off all the surrendering Biafran leaders. Why was Achuzia kept incommunicado for 7 years?
Achuzia can say these things now because he understands that times have changed and no one dares touch him now. cool

I guess you have ignored EzeUche's posts as well as Dede1's tales by moonlight. I guess you have also forgotten your post below:

"Like I've said already, more people ended up dying from terrible leadership over a 43 year period. Don't mistake the emergence of Obasanjo for Yoruba political savvy; if you don't know, it was only possible because the Hausa/Fulani was still afraid of what the Igbo might do if the Yoruba started to seriously threaten secession. The fear of Igboman is the reason behind every political moves since 1970. If the north was 100% sure that the Igbo would stay in Nigeria- they would have still denied your people a chance at presidency, and NOTHING would have happened. Your folks don't seem to think deep on these things. That is part of why savvy Igbo these days strongly reject secession moves because too many people have gained over us in Nigeria because of it."

Achuzia can say anything he wants now; he is entitled to his own interpretation. But most historians and witnesses to the war would tell you that Biafra lost.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 6:31pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

What Ibime's latest input are you talking about? It has been suggested over the years that the Biafrans were invading Lagos but that suggestion has been countered by several Biafrans arguing that they were going to Liberate Lagos from the Northerners. It is for the sake of debate, that I have entertained such a notion. Logic dictates that they were trying to capture Lagos for several reasons:
1. Lagos was the capital
2. Western region was not in bondage
3. There was no agreement between Ojukwu and the Western leaders; consequently, any force was always going to be unwelcomed.
4. The BEF was not large enough to protect a whole region

There was no way that the BEF could have ended the conflict by just simply marching into Lagos. Lagos had several brigades and there were still brigades in Kaduna that had not yet being engaged in the war. Were there boys scouts in Lagos? If the BEF did not stop at Ore and continued down to Lagos, it would have been caught between Adekunle's brigades in Lagos and the Pursuing brigades under Murtala or whoever was leading it. Attacking Lagos was a good idea but the fact is that Biafra lacked the resources (personnel and equipment) to adequately engage both Murtala and Adekunle's brigades. The only real outcome would have been that the West would have equally become a battleground for a short time.

I will now answer your question about whether Biafra would have marched towards Abuja if it were the capital. The reason that the BEF was able to get to Ore easily was because the mid-west was unprotected. The BEF did not defeat any forces in the mid-west. In fact, it was because the BEF strolled through the mid-west that Murtala's division killed men at Asaba. I suspect that Biafra might have tried to invade Abuja if it was the capital but it would have faced more military resistance in doing so because Shuwa could have easily sent brigades to meet it since Shuwa's troops were already advancing on Enugu. Murtala's brigades from Kaduna would have also been sent down to assist any troops under Shuwa.

However, you look at it, Biafran high command made many strategic errors. Plus Biafra were out-gunned and outmanned.

Your answer reveals how little you know about the distance between East and Abuja. I can call Becomrich to bring the maps  grin grin grin
Frankly, you talk as if the only route to Abuja is through major roads. I boldly say that Abuja is within a stone throw from Anambra and it would be a total waste of resources to engage an advancing Nigerian division with Abuja so close. If those Nigerian divisions were defending Abuja, Biafra would have made serious gains on them. Lagos and the west was just too far and too hostile. That much I admit. Suffice it to say that Biafra was not going to attack western Nigeria with a single division. It just doesn't make sense, which is why some have alluded to a prior agreement. Let's leave that for history.
Forget about the Lagos based divisions. The history of that war shows that the Biafran forces could have given them the fighting of their lives even with limited resources. Biafra proved that throughout the war.
I still maintain that Biafra was NOT attacking the midwest and western Nigeria. I cannot recall of massive deaths caused by the invading Biafrans.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 6:36pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

I guess you have ignored EzeUche's posts as well as Dede1's tales by moonlight. I guess you have also forgotten your post below:

"Like I've said already, more people ended up dying from terrible leadership over a 43 year period. Don't mistake the emergence of Obasanjo for Yoruba political savvy; if you don't know, it was only possible because the Hausa/Fulani was still afraid of what the Igbo might do if the Yoruba started to seriously threaten secession. The fear of Igboman is the reason behind every political moves since 1970. If the north was 100% sure that the Igbo would stay in Nigeria- they would have still denied your people a chance at presidency, and NOTHING would have happened. Your folks don't seem to think deep on these things. That is part of why savvy Igbo these days strongly reject secession moves because too many people have gained over us in Nigeria because of it."

Achuzia can say anything he wants now; he is entitled to his own interpretation. But most historians and witnesses to the war would tell you that Biafra lost.

There you go again twisting things around. I told you that if not for the fear of Igbo backing the Yoruba to secede from Nigeria, the north would have kept the presidency and I stand firm on that. I asked you: if the north was sure of Igbo support even 60%, and they refuse to hand over to a westerner in 1998, what could the Yoruba have done about that?
Please answer me before accusing me of Igbo supremacy.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 6:49pm On Mar 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

Your answer reveals how little you know about the distance between East and Abuja. I can call Becomrich to bring the maps  grin grin grin
Frankly, you talk as if the only route to Abuja is through major roads. I boldly say that Abuja is within a stone throw from Anambra and it would be a total waste of resources to engage an advancing Nigerian division with Abuja so close. If those Nigerian divisions were defending Abuja, Biafra would have made serious gains on them. Lagos and the west was just too far and too hostile. That much I admit. Suffice it to say that Biafra was not going to attack western Nigeria with a single division. It just doesn't make sense, which is why some have alluded to a prior agreement. Let's leave that for history.
Forget about the Lagos based divisions. The history of that war shows that the Biafran forces could have given them the fighting of their lives even with limited resources. Biafra proved that throughout the war.
I still maintain that Biafra was NOT attacking the midwest and western Nigeria. I cannot recall of massive deaths caused by the invading Biafrans.

Why don't you tell us how Biafran forces would have gotten to Abuja with Shuwa's division so close by in Benue and advancing on Enugu? You are right, I do not know that landscape very well. You are talking up Biafran fighting ability without any information to back it up. So if 5000 Biafrans invaded Lagos, with 30000 Nigerian soldiers in lagos, the Biafrans would have given them the fight of their lives. Of course they would have fought gallantly but they would have still been killed anyway. And then you conveniently forgot about Murtala's 2nd division which chased the retreating Biafrans all the way to Asaba.

There were no massive deaths because they were not engaged by any forces. They simply strolled to Ore. If Gowon decided to attack Biafra from all three fronts (Benue, Asaba, and the Ocean) from the start of the war, would Biafran forces have been able to advance to Ore? There were strategic and military failures on both sides and thats why the war lasted so long.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 6:51pm On Mar 10, 2010
Onlytruth:

There you go again twisting things around. I told you that if not for the fear of Igbo backing the Yoruba to secede from Nigeria, the north would have kept the presidency and I stand firm on that. I asked you: if the north was sure of Igbo support even 60%, and they refuse to hand over to a westerner in 1998, what could the Yoruba have done about that?
Please answer me before accusing me of Igbo supremacy.

I didn't misquote you; I simply copied and pasted what you stated previously. Its on this thread and anyone on this thread can read it.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 6:58pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

Why don't you tell us how Biafran forces would have gotten to Abuja with Shuwa's division so close by in Benue and advancing on Enugu? You are right, I do not know that landscape very well. You are talking up Biafran fighting ability without any information to back it up. So if 5000 Biafrans invaded Lagos, with 30000 Nigerian soldiers in lagos, the Biafrans would have given them the fight of their lives. [/b]Of course they would have fought gallantly but they would have still been killed anyway. [b]And then you conveniently forgot about Murtala's 2nd division which chased the retreating Biafrans all the way to Asaba.

Murtala did NOT chase any Biafrans back, they simply withdrew back to Biafra. There you go again with deliberate sensationalism. I don't know what gives you the impression that only numbers make the difference in wars. Really undecided undecided.
If number is all it takes, Israel won't be existing today. Like I said already, Biafra put up a good fight with limited numbers and resources. The history is there for all to see.

[b]There were no massive deaths because they were not engaged by any forces. They simply strolled to Ore. [/b]If Gowon decided to attack Biafra from all three fronts (Benue, Asaba, and the Ocean) from the start of the war, would Biafran forces have been able to advance to Ore? There were strategic and military failures on both sides and thats why the war lasted so long.

If the Biafrans were invading, all the mid-west leaders like Ejoor would not have been spared. Murtala didn't spare anyone he thought was sympathetic to Biafra, even in the mid-west.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 7:04pm On Mar 10, 2010
Katsumoto:

I didn't misquote you; I simply copied and pasted what you stated previously. Its on this thread and anyone on this thread can read it.

Of course I stand on that quote.  cool cool
So, you never actually thought about that! shocked shocked shocked

Did you ask yourself how a single Igboman called Arthur Nzeribe scuppered Abiola's ambition? Many of us didn't understand what he was doing then, but now I understand more. . .
All the north needs is an assurance that the Igbo would stay in Nigeria, and they would go ahead and do whatever they want. They consider others too weak or too disorganized to challenge them. Now, that doesn't mean things can't change. Some other group can wake up tomorrow to challenge them again like the east did. We haven't seem it yet. undecided undecided
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Ibime(m): 7:06pm On Mar 10, 2010
In Ojukwus own words:

"Our motive was not territorial ambition or the desire of conquest. We went into the mid-west purely in an effort to seize the serpent by the head; every other activity in the midwest was subordinated to that single aim. We were going to Lagos to seize the villain Gowon and we took necessary military precautions."
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 7:28pm On Mar 10, 2010
Ibime:

In Ojukwus own words:

"Our motive was not territorial ambition or the desire of conquest. We went into the mid-west purely in an effort to seize the serpent by the head; every other activity in the midwest was subordinated to that single aim. We were going to Lagos to seize the villain Gowon and we took necessary military precautions."

Now contrast the above to the letter below and you will realise that Ojukwu himself couldn't be trusted.

LETTER FROM LT.COL. OJUKWU TO LT. COL.BANJO

22nd AUGUST 1967

Republic of Biafra Enugu,

22nd August, 1967.

My dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria. We have been fully convinced that the aim of the Hausa/Fulani complex has ever been, and will ever remain, the total domination of every other part of what was known as the Federation of Nigeria. It is impossible to forget that the crisis which led to the army take over in January 1966, the coup of the Northern soldiers led by Gowon in July 1966, the wholesale and indiscriminate massacre of the people of what is now Biafra- and, to a less degree, the people of the Mid-West and West, including the Yorubas, were all the direct result of Hausa/Fulani attempt to subjugate and use as tools, the gallant people of Western Nigeria namely the Yorubas. We do not need to remind ourselves of the heavy losses in life and property suffered by the Yoruba people in their fight for justice and freedom during 1965.

2. Sharing.our belief that the people of Yorubaland have a right to live a life of equality and self-respect and justice free of domination and dictatorship from any quarter, you have both identified with the cause of the Biafra struggle for survival and expressed your determination to see the people of Yorubaland freed from Hausa/Fulani domination.

We, the people of Biafra, for our part are willing and have decided to give you and the people of Yorubaland every assistance to achieve your aim.

3. After clearing the whole question with my Executive Council, I, as the Commander in Chief of the Biafran Armed Forces, have decided to place at your disposal Biafran forces, for the liberation of

Yorubaland on the following clear conditions:-

(i) You will have nothing to do with the Military Administrator in the Mid-West Territory during your sojourn there prior to your move to the West.

(ii) The willingness and preparedness of Biafra to assist any part of the former Federation of Nigeria wishing and willing to liberate itself from the Hausa/Fulani domination, does not in anyway whatever

imply any inclination on her part to compromise her sovereignty or preserve what remains of the defunct Federation of Nigeria. In other words, our sovereignty and break with Nigeria is irrevocable. Nothing must, therefore be said or done by you or any member of the Liberation Army to give a contrary impression.

(iii) Biafra is determined to maintain and safeguard her sovereignty and ensure that her integrity and safety are never again threatened.

(iv) Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.

(v) On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.

(vi) The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.

(vii) During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.

(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.

(ix) As soon as possible after your appointment as the Military Governor of Western Nigeria and separation of that territory from Nigeria, you and I must meet to discuss:

(a) the duration of stay of Biafran troops in your territory;

(b) the areas and subjects of cooperation between the liberated sovereign states of Western Nigeria, or by what name it may call itself, and Biafra.

4. I do not need to remind you that Biafra regards all Yoruba as friends. As such everything should be done, to ensure the minimum force and loss of life are involved in achieving the objective of liberation.

5. It is essential, in order to avoid misunderstanding or confusion, that all subsequent requests for support be formally made to me by you in writing.

6. Will you please signify in writing, your acceptance of the above conditions so that you may leave for Western Nigeria and lead the army of liberation.

Yours very sincerely,

signed Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu,

Military Governor and Commander in Chief of Biafran Armed Forces.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Onlytruth(m): 7:42pm On Mar 10, 2010
Heck, I can post maps too.  cool cool cool

Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by RichyBlacK(m): 7:43pm On Mar 10, 2010
~Bluetooth:

See mumu for road! If you want to forget your head that is your business, but Biafrans cannot forget the injustice of Nigeria. It is this nonsensical attempt at forgetting that is keeping Nigeria anchored to the path to nothingness.

Until hypocritical Nigeria addresses the issues that led to the Biafran War and those discussed in Aburi, Nigeria's determined march to failure will proceed uninterrupted!
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by AndreUweh(m): 7:47pm On Mar 10, 2010
Ibime:

In Ojukwus own words:

@Ibime: May your days be long.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by asha80(m): 7:50pm On Mar 10, 2010
RichyBlacK:

See mumu for road! If you want to forget your head that is your business, but Biafrans cannot forget the injustice of Nigeria. It is this nonsensical attempt at forgetting that is keeping Nigeria anchored to the path to nothingness.

Until hypocritical Nigeria addresses the issues that led to the Biafran War and those discussed in Aburi, Nigeria's determined march to failure will proceed uninterrupted!

Guy i like this your quote grin
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by AndreUweh(m): 8:00pm On Mar 10, 2010
edoyad (m)
kaduna/######/******/lagos

Gunz Blazing
« #22 on: March 07, 2010, 12:49 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All these ghosts from the past. They had their chance to end the impending madness but they failed, now It's time for a new batch of warriors to arise and finish what could not be corrected at first try. Many of these guys were younger than many people right now on NL so i don't think There's a problem of immaturity in this matter.
We're all old enough to chart a new course while making reference to the mistakes of these guys so it doesn't repeat itself.
@Edoyad, your ideas are good but Ndigbo have fought their own wars already. Count Ndigbo out if there should be any civil war in Nigeria.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Dede1(m): 1:26am On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

Your characterization of my post as moonlight tales should be taken as an honor because it requires a sharp mind to conjure such stories. It is neither my fault nor the fault of numerous contributors that you seemed to have issues with chronological order of events before and during the Nigeria-Biafra civil war.

You wasted considerable amount of Internet bandwidth trying very hard to reconfigure history as pertained to Lagos and western region of Nigeria during the civil war. It is very funny that a dedicated scholar of recorded events such as you would attempt to convince even a political minnow that Lagos, western region and mid-western region of Nigeria were not part and parcel of the Nigerian side that precipitated war of attrition on Biafra. How could you forget the composition of representatives of Nigerian side in Aburi, Ghana? How sudden could you have forgotten that Gowon’s headquarter was in Lagos? Even before the so-called police action was kicked-off, Gowon had already sent Lagos Garrison Organization under the command of a Yoruba son to Escravos, Mid-western region in preparation for sea-borne assault on Port-Harcourt and Calaber. Gowon, while still pitched the tent of his military headquarter in Lagos, ordered the 1st Area Command of Nigerian armed forces to launch attack on Biafra and yet it did not occur to you and your forbearers to drum the neutrality stand of western region of Nigeria into his ears. What an oversight. 

As for the moonlight tales, I hope you realized that I stated that Owerri was overrun by Nigerian vandals in 1968 through the military assault that was spear-headed by the elements of 16 Brigade under Major Utuks. Also at the same time, 15 Brigade under Major Makanjunola had Oguta in its cross-hair. Mbaise was threatened through Ugba-junction by the elements of 14 Brigade under Major Oni of Nigerian army. Yet Biafran army regrouped through the efforts of men and women of “S” Division and 14 Division under the leadership of Col Onwuatuegwu and Brigadier Ogbugo Kalu respectively and drove Nigerian vandals out of Oweeri and it environs. By the dawn of 1969, Biafran Brigades of 68, 63, 60 and 52 had 3MCDO beating hasty retreats from all fronts to Port Harcourt.

Any unbiased mind would agree that Biafra was winning considerable number of battles from an opponent that was better equipped and fed than the former. Despite the bravery put up by the Biafran forces, Nigeria still had Biafra on a stranglehold through a strategy orchestrated by Britain.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 2:10am On Mar 11, 2010
Dede1:

Your characterization of my post as moonlight tales should be taken as an honor because it requires a sharp mind to conjure such stories. It is neither my fault nor the fault of numerous contributors that you seemed to have issues with chronological order events before and during the Nigeria-Biafra civil war.

You wasted considerable amount of Internet bandwidth trying very hard to reconfigure history as pertained to Lagos and western region of Nigeria during the civil war. It is very funny that a dedicated scholar of recorded events such as you would attempt to convince even a political minnow that Lagos, western region and mid-western region of Nigeria were not part and parcel of the Nigerian side that precipitated war of attrition on Biafra. How could you forget the composition of representatives of Nigerian side in Aburi, Ghana? How sudden could you have forgotten that Gowon’s headquarter was in Lagos? Even before the so-called police action was kicked-off, Gowon had already sent Lagos Garrison Organization under the command of a Yoruba son to Escravos, Mid-western region for preparation for sea-assault on Port-Harcourt and Calaber. Gowon, while still pitched the tent of his military headquarter in Lagos, ordered the 1st Area Command of Nigerian armed forces to launch attack on Biafra and yet it did not occur to you and your forbearers to drum the neutrality stand of western region of Nigeria into his ears. What an oversight. 

As for the moonlight tales, I hope you realized that I stated that Owerri was overrun by Nigerian vandals in 1968 through the military assault that was spear-headed by the elements of 16 Brigade under Major Utuks. Also at the same time, 15 Brigade under Major Makanjunola had Oguta in its cross-hair. Mbaise was threatened through Ugba-junction by the elements of 14 Brigade under Major Oni of Nigerian army. Yet Biafran army regrouped through the efforts of men and women of “S” Division and 14 Division under the leadership of Col Onwuatuegwu and Brigadier Ogbugo Kalu respectively and drove Nigerian vandals out of Oweeri and it environs. By the down of 1969, Biafran Brigades of 68, 63, 60 and 52 had 3MCDO beating hasty retreats from all fronts to Port Harcourt.

Any unbiased mind would agree that Biafra was winning considerable number of battles from an opponent that was better equipped and fed than the former. Despite the bravery put up by the Biafran forces, Nigeria still had Biafra on a stranglehold through a strategy orchestrated by Britain.

I can not disagree with your post. However, you need to understand certain things. Going by the posts on this forum, you will agree with me that Biafrans can not agree on the real purpose of the BEF. Individuals such as Eziachi and OnlyTruth believe wholeheartedly that the BEF was not an invading force. Others such as yourself believe in the strategic position of Lagos and the need for Biafra to capture it. This is a political forum and we are all here to learn and debate historical events and issues. It is for this reason that all perspectives and opinions are respected and given due consideration. I was not trying to convince anyone as to the strategic importance of Lagos, I was merely discussing other arguments as put forward by other sons of Biafra. Eziachi can attest to this, we have debated this before.

As I have said previously, I believe that the BEF was not visting Lagos as tourists; it had serious ambitions for Gowon but I do not believe that it had the resources to take Lagos. I have said to you in the past, that the BEF would have been caught been Murtala's 2nd division and the remnants of the Lagos Garrison Organisation. No one can deny that Biafran soldiers fought gallantly and bravely against all odds but you have to agree with me that Biafran High Command made many strategic errors. In war, most parties win battles but the aim is to win the war. Biafra won a number of battles but at the end it lost the war. That is the fact.

There is no need to refer to a Nigerian soldier has a 'Yoruba son'. He was a soldier and following the orders of NAHQ. He wasn't taking orders from the 'Yoruba HQ'. Thank you for the anec-dotes.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Afam(m): 9:14am On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

There is no need to refer to a Nigerian soldier has a 'Yoruba son'. He was a soldier and following the orders of NAHQ. He wasn't taking orders from the 'Yoruba HQ'. Thank you for the anec-dotes.

I love Nigeria and Nigerians. Funny how this my friend here believes that the Yoruba man in question was a Nigerian soldier and as such should not be referred to as a Yoruba son yet does not see anything wrong in referring to the majority of participants of the first coup as Igbo army officers just to justify what happened after that coup.

Seems we have a lot of problems with consistency here. We should be fair in our criticisms and stop playing games with serious issues just to promote or defend ethnic or tribal interests.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 12:04pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

I love Nigeria and Nigerians. Funny how this my friend here believes that the Yoruba man in question was a Nigerian soldier and as such should not be referred to as a Yoruba son yet does not see anything wrong in referring to the majority of participants of the first coup as Igbo army officers just to justify what happened after that coup.

Seems we have a lot of problems with consistency here. We should be fair in our criticisms and stop playing games with serious issues just to promote or defend ethnic or tribal interests.

Thats just plain silly. Was there really a need to mention the tribe of the soldier? So one Yoruba soldier following orders from his superiors now amounts to a Yoruba agenda? Also, that action of following orders is now equal to the action of 9 Igbo soldiers who organised a coup of their own free will? Please try to analyse issues dispassionately.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Afam(m): 12:35pm On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thats just plain silly. Was there really a need to mention the tribe of the soldier? So one Yoruba soldier following orders from his superiors now amounts to a Yoruba agenda? Also, that action of following orders is now equal to the action of 9 Igbo soldiers who organised a coup of their own free will? Please try to analyse issues dispassionately.

Was the coup organized by only Igbo soldiers?

You see the hypocrisy you are displaying here?

When it suits you the tribe of the soldiers become an issue but when it does not the tribe becomes a non issue.

And to think that you used the word analyse even with your statements above makes me lose hope.

You see how you are now contradicting yourself? Be honest in your discussions.
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Katsumoto: 12:44pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

Was the coup organized by only Igbo soldiers?

You see the hypocrisy you are displaying here?

When it suits you the tribe of the soldiers become an issue but when it does not the tribe becomes a non issue.

And to think that you used the word analyse even with your statements above makes me lose hope.

You see how you are now contradicting yourself? Be honest in your discussions.

LOL
If you analyse the issue properly, you will realise that the Yoruba soldier was following orders; he did not act of his own free will. While the Igbo officers were not under orders. This is so simple, why are you complicating it just to prove a futile point?
Re: "I Handed Biafra Over to Obasanjo" - Achuzia by Afam(m): 12:54pm On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

LOL
If you analyse the issue properly, you will realise that the Yoruba soldier was following orders; he did not act of his own free will. While the Igbo officers were not under orders. This is so simple, why are you complicating it just to prove a futile point?

I will assume correctly that you don't know anything about the military going by your comments.

Orders must not be taken, you can refuse an order.

Coup planning is a dangerous thing. You get informed and the options are clear - join or die.

Only intelligent people would understand this so don't worry if you still don't get it, it is not a must you do.

You have as usual dismissed the fact that the coup was foiled by Igbo soldiers and one had to die in the process. Of course, such facts make nonsense of your conspiracy theories so they will never be respected.

(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But / Traditional Ruler, Others Killed In Zamfara / You Call Home To Ask If There's Light: Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 224
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.