Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,688 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? (1426 Views)

How To Track An Ip Address Of A Facebook User / How To Block Email Address (sender) In Windows Live/msn Hotmail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by jimsawyer(m): 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2007
Looking back now, its funny when one realizes many people had to pay for email addresses, yet now even a blind man wouldnt pay a kobo for an email address.

Eight years ago, I got my first yahoo email address. I first went to Ikeja Plaza and a business center there charged me N1500, I was an undergraduate then and just couldnt afford that. Some days after I was passing by Yaba Tech, when I saw a business center on the ground floor of where Edysly Bookshop is located. The banner there read "Get your email address for N500" I rushed home and went to quickly raise the N500.

Imagine N500 for a Yahoo email address, but it was a bargain I couldnt resfuse.

So if you got your email address when the Internet was still very young in Nigeria, how much did you pay?
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by naijacutee(f): 11:39pm On Feb 17, 2007
I got my first e-mail address 7 years ago (Man, that sounds long!) and I paid =N= 100 to browse for 10minutes somewhere in Surulere, and I quickly opened an e-mail address while I was at it.
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by iice(f): 3:20am On Feb 18, 2007
Didn't pay a dime but then again i ddnt get it when i was in naija. . .long time ago. But to browse, chaii is spent about the same as naijacutee just to browse
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by ibkn(m): 9:35am On Feb 22, 2007
hey
mine was like i went with a friend of mine to a cafe paid about 300naira for an hour, then he assisted me to open my box after using like 45 mins to do his own runs.
i can remeber then the 3 months rule that if u dont check ur box in 3 months yahoo will erase ur box[yeah rite but to we novices it was like the fear of losing ur box, ]
then to check my mail i would pay for an hour with that friend of mine and he would use about 50 mins on his stuff then 10 mins on mine. so one day i forced myself to buy an hour and learn this thing called browsing.
now at least i can post on nairaland[dont mind the grammar errors] amongst other things
so i say thanks to my freind gb marts for teaching me howto browse
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by livingnuts(m): 1:19pm On Feb 24, 2007
Hello,

What an interesting post!

For me, I opened about 5years ago and I did it my self. So it was free of charge. no payment was done at all.

but nigerians, na wa o, how can they charge people up to N1,000 just for opening a free email account?

na wa o,

Regard,
Nwabueze
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by Seun(m): 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2007
It was a tlcfanmail.com address (bad choice) and I didn't pay for it!
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by cyprianjr(m): 10:12pm On Mar 27, 2007
well mine was at one of the local business centers around then, paid close to 300 naira and it was just for checking alone-i think this was around five years ago

Kinda funny as i remember myself always running back to the business center to check my email, yeah right,who was i fooling lol, nobody knew my email address back then,the fascination of the computer world so much filled me with joy and i was just itching for MOREEE,
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by egoldman(m): 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2007
Got mine six years ago in India ,paid only for for using the cybercafe pc .
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by OmoEko1(f): 7:36pm On Mar 28, 2007
I never paid for my first email address
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by 9ja4eva: 7:41pm On Mar 28, 2007
Never paid
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 07, 2007
N0
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by Maleeq(m): 6:58am On Aug 13, 2007
Infact, I feel stupid when I look back at how much I spent. I got my first email at N500. That was in 1998. I was in Bauchi back then. The cafe, Maxgrade computers, I never tried browsing there because by the time I spend an hour, I would spent equivalent to 40% of the cost of my 1st car!!!. grin

To make it worse, you pay N200 to check your email and print it. . .if na 2pages, na N400 be that o!

Anyhow, God dey sha! The cafe is "dead" now.
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by Ralvy(m): 4:50pm On Aug 13, 2007
eeh ya!! me na N300 box I pay oh, tongue tongue
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by chrisoml(m): 6:46pm On Aug 13, 2007
I got my first emails address back then in 2000. And i paid nothing to get it then maybe cus i was lucky a friend of mine has a linkserve dial-up internet connection. It was so easy 4 me cus i already knew 1 or 2 things about computing.

livingnuts:

but nigerians, na wa o, how can they charge people up to N1,000 just for opening a free email account?
na wa o,

please don't be surprise cus u don't really know how ppl xploit others 4 any little thing they which other don't have a clue about it. I once knew an uncle of mine who paid way above 3k all in d name of learning internet and yet could not achieve anything out of it.
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by dee007(m): 2:47pm On Aug 16, 2007
Although i knew a bit about computers then(2001) it was a friend of mine who opened it for me and it was out of his airtime at a cybercafe in Unilag. I remembered then it was fun, @ d slightest opportunity i'll give my email address to my friends. Am still using the same email till 2day.

So i can say i got mine FOC (free of charge)
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by 9ja4eva: 2:55am On Aug 28, 2007
No charge
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by timmy(m): 8:07am On Aug 28, 2007
N500 cry
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by 9ja4eva: 5:19am On Sep 10, 2007
Chai i lucky sha
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by adeshsam(m): 2:43pm On Sep 10, 2007
This topic was so interesting, i got my email 4years ago. Actually i know about Computer but av not browse 4 1nce. I see myself as a computer lit. but, unable to browse, on a good day i decided to go with my friends which already knws abt browsing. I paid 150 for and hour he open the email 4me, i also open 4 abt 3 of my frnds due to the fact that am earger to do it myself.

Today! i imagine myself some years back compare browsing on Internet like, it;s not funny, lol

regards
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by 9ja4eva: 9:03pm On Nov 01, 2007
Yeah then to own an email address was like a big thing, bt its all over now
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by anusule(m): 9:31pm On Nov 01, 2007
no payment.
cool
bt then in naija, it was 200 naira per hour shocked
over slow browsing 4 that matter. cry
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by Bawss1(m): 10:53pm On Nov 01, 2007
I got my first email address for free at my dad's office back in 1999. It was a netscape address but I didn't get to use it much because I soon forgot my password (and can't still remember it till this day). Still that didn't stop me from giving the address to anyone who asked for it,lol. It was only much later, sometime in 2001 (or was it 2000) that I got a yahoo address and its been running ever since.
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by folahann(m): 11:25pm On Nov 02, 2007
I can't believe people payed to get email address.
anyway my 1st address is just 4years
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by kaydkay(m): 4:05pm On Nov 07, 2007
Paid something like 500 bucks 7yrs ago in Kano while doing youth service.

I have spent like 1000 bucks just browsing for like 10 minutes in Ilorin (100 naira /minute) and this was just to check mails o.
Re: How Much Did You Pay For Your First Email Address? by anusule(m): 5:16pm On Nov 07, 2007
why r u lying? haba!

(1) (Reply)

Activation Licence Needed For Vista Ultimate Urgently. / Pls Is This Product Chinna. / I Need A 30k Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.