Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,815 members, 7,806,286 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:04 PM

Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma (64581 Views)

Ijaw Women Of America Elect New Executives With Deborah Abbey As President And / Slay Mamas!! Meet The ‘giraffe Like’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma / Photo Of Ooni Of Ife's New Wife As Claimed By Women Of Rubies (But It Is Fake) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by massmediang: 11:12pm On Oct 02, 2017
There are cultures that seem very exciting not because we want to practice them but just that they are too strange to make sense. One of such cultures is found among the Padaung tribe, a subgroup of the Karenni, Burma (Myanmar) where the beauty of a woman lies in the length of her neck. There you find several women moving like Ostrich of Giraffes, giving the tribes women a nick name – the Giraffe women. This is an interesting piece. Find out why the Padaung women choose to look like Ostrich to prove their beauty. An interesting piece by Justkeeprunning.com provides a quick insight to the world of the ‘Giraffe’ women.

The Longer, the More Beautiful

How having long neck makes you look beautiful? Well, as a Malay, I’ve always seen a woman with long neck to be physically attractive, in which you refer her to have ‘leher jinjang’. But, what beautiful long neck is for “giraffe” tribe in eastern Burma or Myanmar, is certainly does not fit the image of being beautiful in my mind.

These women with long necks are from Padaung tribe, a subgroup of the Karenni which in turn is a subgroup of the Karen. “Padaung”, in the Shan anguage means “long neck”. The coils around their necks are actually made from brass and gold alloy. These women start wearing the coils as early as 5 years old, and as they get older, they add up more coils to their necks. It’s like spending long years of your life having something around your neck. Aarghh…I just can’t imagine if I were to be one of those women.

For them, having long neck is the symbol of wealth, position and beauty. Apart from being a beauty tradition, it is also said that many myths or histories lie behind the long-neck custom. Some said that wearing brass coils around necks in the past functioned to protect Padaung women from tigers, as they bite people’s necks. Others claim that it made them resemble the myth dragon, but it is also claimed that long necks were intended to make them look less attractive, hence they are likely to be taken as slaves in the past. Ironically, today’s Padaung women who still practise the coils wearing tradition tend to have long necks to preserve the tradition, and to look more beautiful!
Finish this interesting piece at ... http://massmediang.com/beauty-and-the-neck-meet-the-giraffe-women-of-padaung-tribe-in-burma-where-the-longer-the-neck-the-more-beautiful-to-woman/

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by soberdrunk(m): 11:14pm On Oct 02, 2017
Interesting! Asians never cease to amaze me with their weird sense of beauty....... angry

Ps-That awkward moment when your woman wants to lick your 'natural lolipop' and she is from the Padaung long neck tribe so you have to climb table..... angry

42 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 02, 2017
What manner of fvckery is this?

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by HeyCorleone(m): 11:18pm On Oct 02, 2017
Just wondering what happens when they remove the coils..

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Josephjnr(m): 11:20pm On Oct 02, 2017
HeyCorleone:
Just wondering what happens when they remove the coils..

Fracture, subluxation,dislocation,disc shift and likely death.

101 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by DONOCHAS(m): 11:24pm On Oct 02, 2017
hoe do there neck bone stretch

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by CyberGypsy(m): 11:27pm On Oct 02, 2017
wawu!
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by ChineseBuggati3(m): 11:36pm On Oct 02, 2017
If you do this one for 9ja na zoo you go see yourself

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by dollytino4real(f): 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2017
they are allergic to short neck dat is y their neck is long

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by AleksAndria: 11:38pm On Oct 02, 2017
I’m still searching for the beauty in those necks . Has anyone found it?. Maybe, the person below me would have found it by the time s/he comments. Let me wait .

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by dominique(f): 12:05am On Oct 03, 2017
I've watched a clip about them on Oprah before. They looked so unreal. And yes, some of the women have been decapitated in the process of beautifying themselves in the name of custom and tradition.

9 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 03, 2017
Ugliness at its peak shocked

16 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Funjosh(m): 8:47am On Oct 03, 2017
The Giraffe women grin
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by shikshark: 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
if to say na naija dem dey, waec go don ban their neck because of exam malpractice

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Ugoeze2016: 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
They look weird abeg

1 Like

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by designer01(m): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
This kain neck go dey useful in an examination hall

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by KendrickAyomide: 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
..These type of people will have a separate class room during exam

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Dearlord(m): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
Wow
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by mccoy47(m): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2017
If this type enter exam hall ehhh grin

5 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by izmercy(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
Lol...progenitor of one of Nigeria’s finest female hip hop artiste
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by joebeckz(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
Those necks are longer than a Monday grin

8 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
Oh my God.
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by obaival(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2017
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Pidginwhisper: 5:27pm On Oct 03, 2017
Original Pepsi long throat..These ones no fit choke on dick at all grin grin

25 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2017
How can I 'unsee' this please?

5 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by BornnAgainChild(f): 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2017
Dont even know what to say to this
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by devigblegble: 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2017
Eleyi gidi gan

1 Like

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Kingvick: 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2017
They weird looking human beings.. I wonder where the beauty is in this rubbish

3 Likes

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by kikies(m): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2017
But how do dey make the neck long, dem dey pull am upwards?........ I'm not understanding oooo
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by Donald3d(m): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2017
grin
Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by romeorailss: 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2017
Wuuuuuuubisshhhhhhhhhh

angry angry

1 Like

Re: Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma by bettyLad(f): 5:29pm On Oct 03, 2017
see punishment , God help us , I didn't even see any beauty , they all look weird and it's appears painful to them ..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wuraola And Ooni Ogunwusi Attend An Event Together (Photos) / Alaafin’s Wife Olori Kafayat Is Dead / Ooni’s Palace Reacts To Snub By Oba Of Lagos; 'if We Don’t Receive An Apology..'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.