Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla (12991 Views)

Never Seen This Engine In An EOD? Any Opinions ? / Is Visco 2000 Engine Oil Good For Es 330 Oil..? / Is This Gear Oil Good? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by good188(m): 12:08pm On Oct 03, 2017
I'm using Toyota corolla bank type 2006 , I want to know if this engine oil good to service my car visco 2000_ because that's what mechanic used for me and this is my second time to service the car ,guru in this house help

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by obitryce(m): 1:10pm On Oct 03, 2017
Kindly return it and look for Any good 5w30 oil and use for your vehicle as that is the standard spec. for toyota. Its also written on your car engine oil cap.

8 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 03, 2017
Adhere to the above. Where is your car manual?

2 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by honmusa(m): 1:15pm On Oct 03, 2017
good188:
I'm using Toyota corolla bank type 2006 , I want to know if this engine oil good to service my car visco 2000_ because that's what mechanic used for me and this is my second time to service the car ,guru in this house help
Check your filler cap ,your manufactured recommendations is sae 5w30 not 20w50.

1 Like

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by mayor2013: 1:57pm On Oct 03, 2017
Palm oil is good

2 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by good188(m): 2:01pm On Oct 03, 2017
PaperLace:
automatic sir
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by vpnvouchers: 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2017
mayor2013:
Palm oil is good

2 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Lovetinz(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2017
PaperLace:

automatic sir.
grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 04, 2017
good188:
automatic sir

I meant your car manual. Ordinarily, it should be handed over during sales of a car, but that is most times not the case.

You can get it online, it'll help you in knowing your car and maintaining it properly. That's if you read and adhere to it though.
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by snofay(m): 8:00am On Oct 04, 2017
obitryce:
Kindly return it and look for Any good 5w30 oil and use for your vehicle as that is the standard spec. for toyota. Its also written on your car engine oil cap.
How can u ask him to use a 5w30 when the minimum temperature in Nigeria is 20. For Nigeria condition, a 20w50 is recommended but ur API RATING is old. U can get an sm or sn oil.

1 Like

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by diportivo: 8:51am On Oct 04, 2017
snofay:

How can u ask him to use a 5w30 when the minimum temperature in Nigeria is 20. For Nigeria condition, a 20w50 is recommended but ur API RATING is old. U can get an sm or sn oil.

tell is what we don't know

what "Nigeria condition dyu mean?

i have lived in climes where temp gets to 40° in summer and they don't change their oil to 20w50 cos of that

so,what exactly is ur point

3 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by autologic: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2017
snofay:

please who gives recommendation for 20w50,it definitely kazeem and Mufu grin cos there are illiterates ,Toyota will never give such ; Dubai that is hotter than Nigeria has car manufacturer factory and I am yet to see Dubai spec car that will recommend 20w50 later shorten the life span of your engine !!It actually a plus for kazeem sha if your engine start smoking soon sha at least it will keep than relevant till 2030 !! grin
The only reason use of 20w50 is prevalent in nigeria is ignorance and poverty !!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by snofay(m): 4:26pm On Oct 04, 2017
autologic:

please who gives recommendation for 20w50,it definitely kazeem and Mufu grin cos there are illiterates ,Toyota will never give such ; Dubai that is hotter than Nigeria has car manufacturer factory and I am yet to see Dubai spec car that will recommend 20w50 later shorten the life span of your engine !!It actually a plus for kazeem sha if your engine start smoking soon sha at least it will keep than relevant till 2030 !! grin
The only reason use of 20w50 is prevalent in nigeria is ignorance and poverty !!!
Do u know the meaning of the code rating, if u do den u should be flexible with it. A manufacturer recommendation is due to the environment dat d car is produced to work in and since most cars are produced for European and American consumption den obviously the majority of the cars will carry a 5w30 recommendation. But imagine an oil dat has its maximum temperature limit to be 30 and u are driving at a harsh temperature of 35, what will happen to the viscosity of the oil? What effect will it have on ur engine?
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by snofay(m): 4:32pm On Oct 04, 2017
diportivo:

i have lived in climes where temp gets to 40° in summer and they don't change their oil to 20w50 cos of that

D fact that dey don't does not mean u shouldn't. Since u are literate, u should be liberal with your thinking. Oil use is based on d Min winter temperature and Max summer temperature of the region ur car is used.

3 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by autologic: 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2017
snofay:

Do u know the meaning of the code rating, if u do den u should be flexible with it. A manufacturer recommendation is due to the environment dat d car is produced to work in and since most cars are produced for European and American consumption den obviously the majority of the cars will carry a 5w30 recommendation. But imagine an oil dat has its maximum temperature limit to be 30 and u are driving at a harsh temperature of 35, what will happen to the viscosity of the oil? What effect will it have on ur engine?
U need to read about synthetic oil technology to appreciate the fact that ,it is special formulated chemical composition that can tolerate a wide extreme high temperate without reaching breakpoints unlike mineral oil that vary widely with temperature .
Beside don't confuse ambient temperature with engine temperature !!!
Majority of the wear and tear that happen on the engine occur at start up .Fresh start up of the car in the morning will require a lighter oil that can flow as quickly to lubricate the topmost part of the engine .few second of delays due to the use of heavier oil will spell doom to the engine in the long run after a long period of accumulated engine starting !!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by ironheart(m): 9:47pm On Oct 04, 2017
Your fine with that oil except you intend visiting Jos in the cold season. Even at that, 20w50 is fine.

From the attached picture below, you can see that 20w50 is effect from -7°C through the range and above 100°C

There is an exception, some of the newer engines might not tolerate 20w50. Your best bet is to take a look at your user manual

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Benosky011(m): 10:22pm On Oct 04, 2017
Pls i dont have my toyota camry car manaul, kindly advise me on how i can get it online. Maybe in pdf format.
PaperLace:

I meant your car manual. Ordinarily, it should be handed over during sales of a car, but that is most times not the case.

You can get it online, it'll help you in knowing your car and maintaining it properly. That's if you read and adhere to it though.
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 05, 2017
Benosky011:
Pls i dont have my toyota camry car manaul, kindly advise me on how i can get it online. Maybe in pdf format.

You didn't specify the year.
Check this site https://carmanuals2.com/
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by pinson(m): 12:20pm On Oct 05, 2017
Yes it is. Forte Oil is very good. If you are in doubt. You can check this website. About good engine oils is well detailed there.

http://motorfixer.com/reliable-suggestions-on-car-engine-oils/
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by davit: 8:09am On Oct 06, 2017
pinson:
Yes it is. Forte Oil is very good. If you are in doubt. You can check this website. About good engine oils is well detailed there.

The forte oil is in your link is not the one OP uses. That one is synthetic and of course more expensive.
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by honmusa(m): 8:34am On Oct 06, 2017
pinson:

Forte oil is a brand ,forte oil producing different brand of oil ,we are talking about viscosity of oil not brand .

1 Like

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by snipesdam(m): 9:34am On Oct 06, 2017
We've treated this topic over and over again. See the link
http://www.positivespin.us/ToyotaOilChart.htm

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by pannyman(m): 12:10pm On Oct 06, 2017
Our people will never learn. I was on the phone with a friend and he told me that his 2010 Honda Pilot needs a new engine. This will be his second engine change. He has been using 20W50 engine oil. I tried to tell him to use the recommended oil for his ride and he said it was too expensive. Maybe his car's engine is cheaper than the engine oil. Smh.

7 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by sultaan(m): 6:29pm On Oct 07, 2017
ironheart:
Your fine with that oil except you intend visiting Jos in the cold season. Even at that, 20w50 is fine.

From the attached picture below, you can see that 20w50 is effect from -7°C through the range and above 100°C

There is an exception, some of the newer engines might not tolerate 20w50. Your best bet is to take a look at your user manual

The same reason we always advise against 20w50 is the same reason you won't put a gear oil in your engine instead of a 5w 30 you use a 20w 50 which is almost twice as heavy as a 30 weight oil. If you feel a 50 weight oil is good then why not use a 90 weight oil which is almost twice as heavy as a 50 weigh oil

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Ipfreely: 9:42pm On Oct 07, 2017
Sigh. People really just do not learn. Not this overflogged debate again please.
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Bonjovi13: 10:37am On Sep 01, 2020
20W50 is a terrible idea for Corolla 2009.
Use 05W30 in Nigeria.If not use recommended 05W20.
Just 3months into first oil change after I bought the car,I noticed lower performance and rattle noise on cold startup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by Kingdemu: 10:54am On Sep 01, 2020
snofay:

Stop confusing yourself Sir. The viscosity of an engine oil signifies the weight of that oil. The lower number is the oil's cold start performance weight and the number after W describes how thick (weight) the oil is at the engine's normal operating temperature. It has nothing to do with outside temperature or the environmental temperature. 5W30 does not mean it should be used in places with temperature ranging from 5°C to 30°C. No, it means that the viscosity of the engine oil at cold start is 5 and at the normal operating temperature of the engine it is 30. Viscosity means the state of being thick, sticky, and semi-fluid in consistency, due to internal friction of an engine. Let's be guided pls.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by erico2k2(m): 10:42pm On Sep 01, 2020
good188:
nah like this u wan take fry ur Engine, wow 20W-50
Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by jacobjamie(m): 11:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
diportivo:

bro, u just said it all, simple. Logic, most are No it all, I also have lived in the America where it's get so hot like 35 to 40 degrees even more than some of our Naija state and still get as cold as - 2 during winter, them no dey still change oil, na this same oil them dey use that's recommended by Toyota, same goes to Naija, use the same recommended oil, it has nothing to do with weather change or temperature

1 Like

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by erico2k2(m): 2:04pm On Sep 02, 2020
Kingdemu:
Stop confusing yourself Sir. The viscosity of an engine oil signifies the weight of that oil. The lower number is the oil's cold start performance weight and the number after W describes how thick (weight) the oil is at the engine's normal operating temperature. It has nothing to do with outside temperature or the environmental temperature. 5W30 does not mean it should be used in places with temperature ranging from 5°C to 30°C. No, it means that the viscosity of the engine oil at cold start is 5 and at the normal operating temperature of the engine it is 30. Viscosity means the state of being thick, sticky, and semi-fluid in consistency, due to internal friction of an engine. Let's be guided pls.
just watch the way he will attack u based on he has no clue of what U jst said!

1 Like

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by erico2k2(m): 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2020
diportivo:

nah the group wey the quote tropicalisation of car there bye wire radiator fan direct B that ahah,The claim say abroad cold 9 ja hot, 4getting that some part of the so-called abroad hot pass 9ja grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla by IamOguamalam(m): 2:01am On Sep 09, 2020

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Commissions Eight New Computerised Vehicle Inspection Centers / France To Ban All Petrol And Diesel Vehicles And Every Oil Products By 2040 / How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.