Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Des Pensees - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Des Pensees (15879 Views)

September 17 In The Life Of A Pastor And A Bishop: David Oyedepo’s Date With Des (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:07pm On Oct 23, 2017
Too interesting not to share...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNs2pgFhaPw

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/4131372/why-pentecostals-believe-catholic-church/23

This thread serves to prove to me that what passes for Christianity today is nothing more than the vehicle for purveying a spirit of arrogance and I-too-know-ism.

Christianity is a way of justifying one's prejudice and this is made most clear when you see Christians argue against each other. Or rather, argue past each other.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 24, 2017
PastorAIO:
Authority

my definition: That entity whose Will or Word is not challenged but acquiesced to.

Humans have the great ability to trust and acquiesce to Authority figures because it has enormous evolutionary advantages. It allows us to pass on information quickly from generation to generation so all the body of knowledge that a culture acquires can easily be passed on from generation to generation.

There are disadvantages with this great ability. If the Authority figure does not have our best interests at heart, or if the Authority is just simply wrong, then we are also greatly opened up to massive deception.

No matter how much critical thinking that someone learns and inculcates into himself he can never lose that ability to immediately acquiesce to Authority. The smartest guys in the world in one field of endeavour can also be the daftest person in another field where he has come to rely on Authority.

For this reason I don't really buy into the argument that Religious people are stupider than non religious people. They are only daft when it comes to listening to their pastors but when they get into work on monday morning they can be the sharpest guy in the office.

Everybody is daft where it comes to some field or the other and it is usually that field in which they look up to some revered Authority.

Since Authorities aren't appraised critically but rather go unquestioned, then how do we decide who or what to accept as authorities or not?

The answer is through cues, some of them it seems are hardwired in our genes. Just stupid superficial cues like 1. The tone of voice or 2. The posture or 3 something like a hat. Yeah! headgear is a weird one but it seems that all of humanity has a hardwired deference to stupid hats, the sillier the better.

I'll repeat that cos I don't think that I worded it too well. Up to a certain point Authority is very beneficial for humanity, but beyond that point we find that there is an inverse relationship to the importance of Authority in that society and Backwardness in that society. Let's explore that in a further post.

I would say that Authority is always subject to challenge, I believe mankind has an inherent yearning for order, it is this yearning that brought about religion amongst other things, but even the highest authority of God according to the Holy books does not go unchallenged, therefore I think that our trust and acquiescence to authority is for no other reason than that the alternative is likely anarchy.

I see a conflation in your post between constituted Authority and authority inferred by area of expertise, for instance, I am constrained by law to accept the authority of a magistrate but I do not necessarily accept that a pastor really knows what he is talking about. We are subject to one form of authority and complicit in another. I am not at all sure that we require Authority to transmit knowledge.

And that brings me nicely to the other side of things, namely “fear” Niccolo Machiavelli wrote that “it is preferable to be feared than loved if you cannot be both”

Authority figures are not confined to having our best interests at heart although we labour under that delusion. From Gods to banana republic dictators to Daddy G.O’s the primary aim of any authority figure is to perpetuate itself. The buzzwords are “fear of God” “touch not my….” And in the secular world “under penalty of …” subtle but powerful impulses. Authority is the carrot, fear is the stick!

I think we accept authoritative figures where the alternative is a worse case than the state of inertia, the cues are just an advanced form of Pavlovian conditioning.

When that relationship breaks down, we replace one set of undesirables with another. I agree with you that up to a point Authority has been beneficial to humanity, but if it had been a roaring success then by now we should no longer require it. But then again, I would say that because ultimately I am a rebel at heart.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 4:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
Sarassin:

I would say that Authority is always subject to challenge,

I agree. For example, you might consider your doctor an Authority when it comes to the matter of your health. If he says that you have a bacterial infection and prescribes antibiotics for you you don't have to go and read up all he's studied about bacteria and the pharmacology of treating it before you accept to undergo the course of treatment.
However if one day the man totally misdiagnoses your problem you might think, 'so this man doesn't even know his work'. At that point you withdraw the Authority that you've conferred on him. Remember that Authority is more of a psychological event. You confer it on some entities and not on others and you can change who you confer it too.

I believe mankind has an inherent yearning for order, it is this yearning that brought about religion amongst other things, but even the highest authority of God according to the Holy books does not go unchallenged, therefore I think that our trust and acquiescence to authority is for no other reason than that the alternative is likely anarchy.

I think that there is indeed an Urge for Order yet there is also another Urge that seeks freedom from constraints. In some people one is stronger than the other and in others vice verse. Someone can lead a regimented life until one day he can bear it no longer and he may decide to go on holiday to escape or worse still to suicide bomb his community as a way out.
I have argued that the reason for the evolutionary advantage we get from acquiescing to Authority is in order to easily transfer knowledge, especially cultural knowledge. Imagine that a child had to think and appraise absolutely every bit of information that his mother taught him in the first 5 years of his life!! If she says, 'don't touch fire' he will automatically withdraw from the fire. Imagine if he could never learn to be careful of fire until the day he actually puts his finger into a flame.

According to my definition of Authority any Authority that is challenged is not actually an authority. The psychological disposition to acquiesce to certain entities without question is what makes those entities Authorities. A god that is challenged is a god that is itself subject to a higher authority. For instance, A sense of Justice (perhaps learnt from parents or perhaps innate) may hold a higher authority than a God, so if they God is considered to be behaving unjustly the challenger can say 'Haba, God, it's not good na'.
An example would be the Magna Carta of the British history to which even the Kings were subject to. Magna Carta had a higher Authority than the Kings of England.

An authority can demand that one creates anarchy. For example a rebel band of soldiers or robbers.

I see a conflation in your post between constituted Authority and authority inferred by area of expertise, for instance, I am constrained by law to accept the authority of a magistrate but I do not necessarily accept that a pastor really knows what he is talking about. We are subject to one form of authority and complicit in another. I am not at all sure that we require Authority to transmit knowledge.

There are many types of Authorities. The bottom line is that whatever an authority Wills or Commands is acquiesced to. That is what makes it an Authority, by definition. The Pastor that you do not accept as knowledgeable is NOT an authority, not for you.

We don't require Authority to transmit all knowledge. There is knowledge we transmit via rigorous debates etc....
However imagine a Snake that has just hatched from it's egg. Immediately it can fend for itself. It's instincts for survival are ready to go.
This is not the case with many other species, including man. It will take quite a few years for a baby to be able to fend for itself. In those few years it will have to download a lorra lorra lorra information. It will have to learn the language of his community. He will have to learn it's mores etc. It will have to learn the dangers and opportunities in it's environment. Imagine that before the baby can download this information into it's brain it will first have to rigorously assess the information, do research and confirm results. Such a baby of such a species of animal would not make it into adulthood.
Acquiescing to Authority allows us to download a lorra information fast. The downside is that this is done without discrimination.

I once lived in Holland for about 6 months on work. I thought that while I was there I should use the opportunity to learn Dutch. I got a book and started learning. I had a dutch friend I used to discuss with and she would say that she didn't even realise most of the things I was sharing with her about her language. She never really had to analyse the language since she just picked it up as a child. Some points of grammar and the connection between words were never noticed by her until I brought them up. (but no, I never got very far with dutch. All I can say is Hoe gaat het?)

The ability to acquiesce to Authority was developed via Evolution to allow us to learn necessary skills fast. As with most things we evolved there is an upside and there is a downside.

Authority figures are not confined to having our best interests at heart although we labour under that delusion. From Gods to banana republic dictators to Daddy G.O’s the primary aim of any authority figure is to perpetuate itself. The buzzwords are “fear of God” “touch not my….” And in the secular world “under penalty of …” subtle but powerful impulses. Authority is the carrot, fear is the stick!

Authority can very easily be abused and in fact it very often is.

I think we accept authoritative figures where the alternative is a worse case than the state of inertia, the cues are just an advanced form of Pavlovian conditioning.

Here I disagree with you. I do not think anyone goes through a reasoning process when they accept Authority whereby they think, 'Hmm if I do not do what Mummy says then anarchy will burst loose'. The acquiescence is automatic, it is hardwired in our genes. We evolved the ability.
If we were just dealing with Pavlovian conditioning then why can babies pick up the cues? Even dogs. We had dogs growing up and we all played with the dogs and fed them. My father hardly ever interacted with the dogs yet you could tell that the dogs respected my father, a man that had never once given them food. All pack animals, dogs included, are genetically hardwired to be aware of hierarchy and authority. The dogs knews that my dad was the numero Uno of the pack, the capo di tutti capi.

When that relationship breaks down, we replace one set of undesirables with another. I agree with you that up to a point Authority has been beneficial to humanity, but if it had been a roaring success then by now we should no longer require it. But then again, I would say that because ultimately I am a rebel at heart.

But it has been a roaring success. We are Here!! We dominate the planet. We have accumulated much knowledge about our environment that benefits us even though we don't even properly know how they work.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 4:32pm On Oct 24, 2017
Alas I can't copy and paste this book I've just seen but I'll type out a paragraph. It is from here:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yBIqDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=Authority+hats+crowns&source=bl&ots=qahnEos1lS&sig=-q3tjZ7GCM_6aQoLUIETPSyHbes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirgqXqxInXAhXsCcAKHec1AVwQ6AEIQjAJ#v=onepage&q=Authority%20hats%20crowns&f=false

Appeal to Authority

I mention pointy hats a lot. They are an aspect of the Church's Appeal to Authority, a logical fallacy. Pointy hats make you taller. A king generally has one pointy hat called a crown. Some pharaohs of Egypt wore the double crown of upper and lower Egypt. The Pope, not to be outdown, has a hat of three crowns. It is literally three crowns, one on top of th other. It is called the Papal Tiara. A cheap trick, I know. Hats are just the beginning. Google Cardinal Burke, one time Arch Bishop of St. Louis land check out images of him He has a cape that was a good thirty=feet long... and he wore it a lot.

Me personally, I've noticed this phenomenon for a while. Never underestimate the power of wearing a hat. It's so stupid but it's so effective.
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 27, 2017
PastorAIO:

I have argued that the reason for the evolutionary advantage we get from acquiescing to Authority is in order to easily transfer knowledge, especially cultural knowledge. Imagine that a child had to think and appraise absolutely every bit of information that his mother taught him in the first 5 years of his life!! If she says, 'don't touch fire' he will automatically withdraw from the fire. Imagine if he could never learn to be careful of fire until the day he actually puts his finger into a flame.

I take your point about the evolutionary advantage of Authority, although I am not convinced that it is intrinsic Authority.
Kant wrote that anarchy falls short of being a true civil state because the law (Authority) is only an "empty recommendation" if force is not included to make law (Authority) efficacious.

I think the examples you gave of the child responding to the tropism of parental authority has more to do with nurturing as opposed to Authority per se. Of course the acquiescence to such authority could also be borne out of an innate desire of the child to please its parent.

PastorAIO:

An example would be the Magna Carta of the British history to which even the Kings were subject to. Magna Carta had a higher Authority than the Kings of England.

True, but it might be worth pointing out that only three of the original clauses in the Magna Carta are still enshrined in law.

PastorAIO:

An authority can demand that one creates anarchy. For example a rebel band of soldiers or robbers.

Anarchy is the presence of law and freedom without force.

PastorAIO:

There are many types of Authorities. The bottom line is that whatever an authority Wills or Commands is acquiesced to. That is what makes it an Authority, by definition. The Pastor that you do not accept as knowledgeable is NOT an authority, not for you.

True, but what examples would you give as unchallenged inherent authority? Or would you say that our acquiescence to Authority is subjective to our whim and to whatever we deem appropriate to our needs? or is acquiescence to Authority subject (as I deem it to be) to the use of force?

PastorAIO:
The ability to acquiesce to Authority was developed via Evolution to allow us to learn necessary skills fast. As with most things we evolved there is an upside and there is a downside.

If we look at the process of evolution, we can see that there is a critical mass of adaptability beyond which a replicator can take over the entire space. We humans are a perfect example of this.

PastorAIO:

Here I disagree with you. I do not think anyone goes through a reasoning process when they accept Authority whereby they think, 'Hmm if I do not do what Mummy says then anarchy will burst loose'. The acquiescence is automatic, it is hardwired in our genes. We evolved the ability.
If we were just dealing with Pavlovian conditioning then why can babies pick up the cues? Even dogs. We had dogs growing up and we all played with the dogs and fed them. My father hardly ever interacted with the dogs yet you could tell that the dogs respected my father, a man that had never once given them food. All pack animals, dogs included, are genetically hardwired to be aware of hierarchy and authority. The dogs knews that my dad was the numero Uno of the pack, the capo di tutti capi.

It need not be a conscious reasoning process, man’s natural state is a state of anarchy. Babies do pick up cues, again I think it is conditioning, animals too. A funny story here, in the late 60's Pavlov I think it was demonstrated what was initially thought to be an intelligent horse before a group of distinguished scientists in a classroom before a blackboard with simple sums and multiple choice answers. The horse appeared to pick the correct answers by nodding its head, it was correct in every instance. Well, it turned out the horse was simply watching the scientists very closely, every time that it approached the right answers it noted that the scientists became very agitated and then plumped for that one, it made a fool out of a bunch of scientists. I suspect your Dogs were far cleverer than you gave them credit for cheesy
Re: Des Pensees by iamnlia(m): 7:26pm On Oct 27, 2017
Sarassin:

I take your point about the evolutionary advantage of Authority, although I am not convinced that it is intrinsic Authority.
Kant wrote that anarchy falls short of being a true civil state because the law (Authority) is only an "empty recommendation" if force is not included to make law (Authority) efficacious.

I think the examples you gave of the child responding to the tropism of parental authority has more to do with nurturing as opposed to Authority per se. Of course the acquiescence to such authority could also be borne out of an innate desire of the child to please its parent.

True, but it might be worth pointing out that only three of the original clauses in the Magna Carta are still enshrined in law.

Anarchy is the presence of law and freedom without force.

True, but what examples would you give as unchallenged inherent authority? Or would you say that our acquiescence to Authority is subjective to our whim and to whatever we deem appropriate to our needs? or is acquiescence to Authority subject (as I deem it to be) to the use of force?

If we look at the process of evolution, we can see that there is a critical mass of adaptability beyond which a replicator can take over the entire space. We humans are a perfect example of this.

It need not be a conscious reasoning process, man’s natural state is a state of anarchy. Babies do pick up cues, again I think it is conditioning, animals too. A funny story here, in the late 60's Pavlov I think it was demonstrated what was initially thought to be an intelligent horse before a group of distinguished scientists in a classroom before a blackboard with simple sums and multiple choice answers. The horse appeared to pick the correct answers by nodding its head, it was correct in every instance. Well, it turned out the horse was simply watching the scientists very closely, every time that it approached the right answers it noted that the scientists became very agitated and then plumped for that one, it made a fool out of a bunch of scientists. I suspect your Dogs were far cleverer than you gave them credit for cheesy
Mr. Sarassin, can you please do a thread on sound and sonic geometry?. Please.

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2017
PastorAIO:

You're getting there but I believe that you have a quite some way to go before you become as stark raving mad as I am.

What if that thing that could quell your other urges was itself an urge whereby you won't feel contentment until you connect with it. Yet once you do all your other urges like a wild beast that has been tamed will become like plasticene in your hands. To shape and do with as you will.

one urge that quells other urges... hmm reminds me of the confession of st Augustine

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:05pm On Oct 27, 2017
PastorAIO:
https://www.nairaland.com/4131372/why-pentecostals-believe-catholic-church/23

This thread serves to prove to me that what passes for Christianity today is nothing more than the vehicle for purveying a spirit of arrogance and I-too-know-ism.

Christianity is a way of justifying one's prejudice and this is made most clear when you see Christians argue against each other. Or rather, argue past each other.

hmm
Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:12pm On Oct 27, 2017
PastorAIO:
Alas I can't copy and paste this book I've just seen but I'll type out a paragraph. It is from here:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=yBIqDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT145&lpg=PT145&dq=Authority+hats+crowns&source=bl&ots=qahnEos1lS&sig=-q3tjZ7GCM_6aQoLUIETPSyHbes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirgqXqxInXAhXsCcAKHec1AVwQ6AEIQjAJ#v=onepage&q=Authority%20hats%20crowns&f=false

Me personally, I've noticed this phenomenon for a while. Never underestimate the power of wearing a hat. It's so stupid but it's so effective.

yep the hat thing...

the examples were all on point except the one on card. Burke long cope... that is a capa magnum I think and it symbolises the very opposite of a hat.
Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:36pm On Oct 27, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Then like you, I shall embrace the maddest of all madnesses...seeking method to one's madness!

From experience, every urge, once fulfilled, comes to a natural state of tameness. So, I say, may the fittest urge plasticinise first!
or rather urges once fulfilled wants to be more fulfilled.
Re: Des Pensees by AgentOfAllah: 10:37pm On Oct 29, 2017
Ubenedictus:
or rather urges once fulfilled wants to be more fulfilled.

Hmmm...but if an urge wants to be 'more' fulfilled, then it is not yet fulfilled, by definition.
Re: Des Pensees by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
Senseless thread.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:09pm On Nov 03, 2017
Pikin Wey Nor Know Hin Papa Name

What Kind of child does not know his father's name? Could that be said to be a true child?

Some people keep the name of their God hidden and only disclose it by hiding vowels so you only see the Consonants.

For Example YHWH.

An effect of this is that when some imposters come in to try to claim the name, they don't even know how it is pronounced.

Some shout Jehovah Jehovah, but that appellation is based on mere speculation. Nobody knows what the vowels between the four letters are.

I have a preference for YahooWahoo, but other's like to give it only 2 vowels results in YahWeh.

I find it bizarre that some people will make such a big deal about the name of their God when they themselves do not even know the name.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Ranchhoddas: 6:42pm On Nov 03, 2017
PastorAIO:
Pikin Wey Nor Know Hin Papa Name

What Kind of child does not know his father's name? Could that be said to be a true child?

Some people keep the name of their God hidden and only disclose it by hiding vowels so you only see the Consonants.

For Example YHWH.

An effect of this is that when some imposters come in to try to claim the name, they don't even know how it is pronounced.

Some shout Jehovah Jehovah, but that appellation is based on mere speculation. Nobody knows what the vowels between the four letters are.

I have a preference for YahooWahoo, but other's like to give it only 2 vowels results in YahWeh.

I find it bizarre that some people will make such a big deal about the name of their God when they themselves do not even know the name.
Yahweh isn't His real name?
This is new information to me.
Re: Des Pensees by hopefulLandlord: 7:06pm On Nov 03, 2017
AlfaSeltzer:
Senseless thread.
idiotic post

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 8:46pm On Nov 03, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
Yahweh isn't His real name?
This is new information to me.

According to a Jewish tradition developed during the 3rd to 2nd centuries BCE, the Tetragrammaton is written but not pronounced. When read, substitute terms replace the divine name where יְהֹוָה‎ appears in the text. It is widely assumed, as proposed by the 19th-century Hebrew scholar Gesenius, that the vowels of the substitutes of the name—Adonai (Lord) and Elohim (God)—were inserted by the Masoretes to indicate that these substitutes were to be used.[16] When יהוה precedes or follows Adonai, the Masoretes placed the vowel points of Elohim into the Tetragrammaton, producing a different vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יֱהֹוִה‎, which was read as Elohim.[17] Based on this reasoning, the form יְהֹוָה‎ (Jehovah) has been characterized by some as a "hybrid form",[7][18] and even "a philological impossibility".[19]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 4:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Hmmm...but if an urge wants to be 'more' fulfilled, then it is not yet fulfilled, by definition.

I think what he means to say, and I'd agree with him, is that an urge, once satiated, is almost immediately replaced by another one of equal urgency.
Re: Des Pensees by Ishilove: 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2017
Des Pensees! shocked

*phew* undecided

I actually thought I read something else. Des Pen... embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Des Pensees by Ishilove: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Lobotomise?
A while back, someone started a thread extolling the excellent qualities of paradise that good Christians should look forward to. Some of these ranged from the ridiculously ostentatious, like single dweller mansions bigger than the most opulent mansion on earth (who needs that?), to the simply ridiculous, like roads made of gold (how will golden roads enhance movement, especially since dwellers will presumably acquire the gift of flight/teleportation?). Anyway, what really did catch my attention was the person's claim that all our needs, in other words, urges, will be spontaneously granted, with the exception of sex because we wouldn't even possess such an urge anymore. Though I fail to recall the person mentioning these, I assume also, that dwellers would lose their urges to s.hit, p.iss, sneeze and what not...but anyway, I digress!

The person claimed thus; that dwellers will always feel fully gratified in paradise, even though god has effectively eliminated some of the fantastically gratifying urges of their yesterlives. They will be in a state of perpetual equanimity, if you will! The insight I got from this 'eye witness' account of heaven was revolting. It seemed less like a gratification of urges and more, a maleficent zombification of devotees. This person's god would effectively perform partial lobotomy on its believers in order to keep them fully gratified. I don't know about the lucky inhabitants of that heaven, but I know earthly human nature tends towards more, not less experiences. If there were something within me that could perish my many urges, even the mutually antagonistic ones, I'd kill that thing before it kills my urges. In a sense, aren't we defined by these peculiar urges? I only draw a line at the ones that are evidently harmful to myself and other people. I don't want my many urges on a leash ever, but maybe mine is just the rambling of a man content in his storm...turmoil...turbulence...madness?

At any rate, lobotomy seems a perfectly capable means through which perpetual equanimity may be attained, this mad man thinks. Then, you can really say your urges are restrained...that is, if you even feel the urge to say anything afterwards!

Am I mad, Pastor?
Yes you are mad. Lobotomy??

You're very very mad. Yaba left, raving mad.

I no cuss you o. Na ya question I answer
Re: Des Pensees by AgentOfAllah: 4:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
PastorAIO:

I think what he means to say, and I'd agree with him, is that an urge, once satiated, is almost immediately replaced by another one of equal urgency.
That's a good thing, isn't it? To run out of urges is to run out of reasons to stay alive.
Re: Des Pensees by hopefulLandlord: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:
Des Pensees! shocked
*phew* undecided
you thought it was Des penicillin?

3 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by hopefulLandlord: 4:31pm On Nov 04, 2017
double post
Re: Des Pensees by Ishilove: 5:28pm On Nov 04, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you thought it was Des penicillin?
Yas! cheesy
Re: Des Pensees by Ranchhoddas: 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:
Des Pensees! shocked

*phew* undecided

If your eyes cause you to sin...
Re: Des Pensees by Ishilove: 6:03pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
If you eyes cause you to sin...
Wear raybans grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Ranchhoddas: 6:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:

Wear raybans grin
If any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy...
Re: Des Pensees by Ishilove: 6:29pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ranchhoddas:
If any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy...
Buhari fall on him

2 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Ranchhoddas: 6:55pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:
Buhari fall on him
Hehehe...

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:37pm On Nov 08, 2017
I found the following on Facebook.

I do feel some measure of pride that I'm a member of NL and it was a fellow member that first started the drive against exposing the Tithing Scam, namely Mr KunleOshob, aka PastorKuns.

D Freeze and Pastor Adeboye - The Tithing controversy

The scriptures are clear that GENUINE men of God who are overseers are to refute those who oppose the truth with Sound Doctrine.

Titus 1:7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless— 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and REFUTE those who oppose it.

But has Pastor Adeboye done this in his recent response to D Freeze? Recently, in an interview with Linda Ikeji, D Freeze made very strong biblical arguments against the modern day UNBLIBLICAL practice of Tithing in the church, to which Pastor Adeboye responded with sentiments rather than refuting the very cogent points that were made. I consider this very sad and it reflects the level of degeneration bedevilling modern day Christianity. In his message to his congregation, there was never a single time Pastor Adeboye made reference to the scriptures to refute what D Freeze said about Tithing. On the other hand, it was D Freeze who backed up his arguments with very valid scriptures. And of course, you will hear the usual sentimental threats and responses coming from so many blind followers of this new testament doctrine of Tithing - "touch not my anointed", "don't let the curse of God visit you", and the likes are some of the misguided statements you hear form many professing Christians who have been brainwashed and enslaved by a deceptive system of apostate Christianity so devoid of the spirit of the message that Jesus and the Apostles passed down to the church led by GENUINE men of God of old.

In this Vanguard article, Pastor Adeboye derided D Freeze for showing that Tithing was also celebrated with Alcohol on some occasions even though this was not the focal point of the argument. But how can one considered to be a great man of God by many not even know some of these basic facts? It is beyond me. Now D Freeze has responded to Pastor Adeboye’s statements in this article – see below and I hope Pastor Adeboye would respond with scriptures this time and refute him as the scriptures say the faithful overseer entrusted with God's word should do rather than respond with sentiments and instil fear on his congregation through threats of curses from God. Such things only invite more ridicule form the unbelieving world.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:38pm On Nov 08, 2017

Response from D Freeze

"Dear Pastor Adeboye,
If you permit me, I will like to humbly seize this opportunity to raise some questions I consider valid.
-
Why did you say, in a viral video that even a mad person knows that you don't drink alcohol in a church?
-
Although from a sentimental point of view, your premise might seem right, but is it really what the Bible teaches us? The book of Deuteronomy 14:22-26, when speaking about paying tithes, instructs us to take our tithe to the place the LORD has chosen, and if the place is too far, we are instructed to sell the portion of our tithe and use it to buy anything our heart desires, listing alcohol as one of the items that could be bought with our tithe. The King James Version says 'strong drink', the Holmans Bible says 'beer' while the new international version specifies 'fermented drink'. All the above are forms of alcohol.
-
So if you say even a mad person knows that you don't drink alcohol in church, are you suggesting that the modern day church is not the 'place the LORD has chosen for tithe to be paid and for his name to be worshiped' as described in the book of Deuteronomy, or are you implying that the Bible was written by lunatics, or are you perhaps doubting God's sanity?
-
Another issue I'll be grateful if you can throw some light upon, is where our first pastors and Daddy GOs, the 12 disciples, collected tithes, or where they instructed the believers who took over the headship of the church from them, to collect tithe.
-
I humbly suggest, that you kindly address the above questions with biblical evidence, as against whipping up sentiment, or employing what many preachers use, and in my opinion, I consider; 'emotional tactics'.
-
As the Berean Christian that I am, before accepting any doctrine, I research the scriptures to see if it aligns accordingly, with the word of God.
-
Thank you sir, I hereby extend my highest considerations and best regards. ~FRZ
#FreeTheSheeple
-
Deuteronomy 14:26 KJV
[26] And thou shalt bestow that (tithe) money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the Lord thy God,

ME - personally another question I would kindly and respecfully ask Pastor Adeboye is this: Please tell us from historical facts when Tithing became a part of the New Testament church and who introduced it to the church. I am also curious to know. Is pastor Adeboye aware that the early church never practiced Tithing until it was introduced by the Roman Catholic Church in the 5th century? So does this mean that the apostles and the early Christians before the 5th century were all cursed of God? If our beliefs are based on blind traditions of men and partisan followership of men, then we are to be pitied beyond measure.

Shalom
[/quote]

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
The Quantifiable Power Of Christ?

Is the power of Christ infinite or is it limited? Is it a substance whose quantity can be added to or reduced? It would seem that it is a quantifiable substance. Take for instance the Story of the woman with a flow of blood.

25And there was a woman who had had a discharge of blood for twelve years, 26and who had suffered much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was no better but rather grew worse. 27She had heard the reports about Jesus and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his garment. 28For she said, “If I touch even his garments, I will be made well.” 29And immediately the flow of blood dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. 30And Jesus, perceiving in himself that power had gone out from him, immediately turned about in the crowd and said, “Who touched my garments?”
Mark 5

This power is described as a substance that can go out of someone. I guess like when you urinate you can definitely feel that your bladders had been emptied.

Also it seems that not only is it quantifiable but it can be administered in dosages. Like a doctor can give you one panadol but if you continue to feel headache he might decide to up the dosage to 2 panadols instead.

22And they came to Bethsaida. And some people brought to him a blind man and begged him to touch him. 23And he took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village, and when he had spit on his eyes and laid his hands on him, he asked him, “Do you see anything?” 24And he looked up and said, “I see people, but they look like trees, walking.” 25Then Jesusc laid his hands on his eyes again; and he opened his eyes, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. 26And he sent him to his home, saying, “Do not even enter the village.”
Mark 8

It seems here that the first blast of Jesus power only opened his eyes partially but it took another blast before it could be fully effective.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pope Decries Attack On Nigerian Church As Christians Protest Killings / Is It A Sin To Begin January 1 Drinking In A Bar? / As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.