Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,839 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 PM

Des Pensees - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Des Pensees (15892 Views)

September 17 In The Life Of A Pastor And A Bishop: David Oyedepo’s Date With Des (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 4:08pm On Mar 29, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the Bible was written across different genres of literature, it was never meant to be literally correct in all things, you'll find therein the understanding of the ancient writers, different traditions with sometimes bloated figures etc, these are "flaws" that I believe are there in the writing text...

though I hold strongly to the inerrancy of its message taken as a whole, the story of a merciful God saving humanity.

I still see no reason for the special status given to it. What makes it different from any other book, or any other text? What makes it different from any other artifact that man has made, or from any other natural thing in the world. Does it speak more of God, or better of God, than the stars in the heavens, than the Mountains and the seas, or trees and winds? I would say No!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:51pm On Apr 03, 2018
Perspectivism is the philosophical position that one's access to the world through perception, experience, and reason is possible only through one's own perspective and interpretation. It rejects both the idea of a perspective-free or an interpretation-free objective reality.

In visual perception, the appearance of an object changes according to a viewer's relative position to the object. This human experience was developed in philosophy as perspectivism. Although Leibniz integrated this view into his philosophy, it was Nietzsche who fully developed it. His perspectivism challenged the entire history of Western philosophy

-http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Perspectivism

Perspectivism.
The philosophical Idea that what we 'know' is known from a certain limited viewpoint and as such cannot be considered to be absolute Truth.

There is a yoruba tale of two fast friends of whom it was believed that there could never be discord between them. Feeling challenged by this belief Esu the yoruba Orisha arranged one day to take a stroll on the border of both friends farms. He wore on his head a cap that was coloured red on one side and black on the other. As we walked he whistled a most melodious tune.

Later that evening the friends hooked up and discussed their day. "Did you see that bizarre man whistling on the edge of the farm with his red cap"?
The other friend answered that yes he had seen the man but the man was actually wearing a black cap. The argument went to and fro and inexplicably got heated until each friend accused the other of being blind and not knowing one colour from the next. Then it burst out into full blown fisticuffs. Then Esu appeared and stopped the fight. He explained that he was the guy they saw and that in fact he had a red and black cap. Thus he proved that no friendship in this world is unbreakable. No two people can agree on everything because each one has his or her own perspective and what they see is fact though not necessarily absolute truth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 03, 2018
@PastorAIO,

many people on nairaland attempt to teach on spiritual/philosophical issues. I believe most of them (including me) are not really called and qualified to teach . I also believe you are one of the true teachers here. Respect.

3 Likes

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 03, 2018
PastorAIO:

Thanks LoJ. Can you please tell me how you access my early posts. I can only go so far back at the moment by looking at my previous posts.

Ohh I never answered this question.

it is actually very easy. You go to your profile, then you click on your posts. usually the previous 9 pages of your posts are available. What I do is that, I change the number of the page on the link on the browser. Instead of 1 (standing for page 1), I would write 240 for instance. It will then lead to page 240/239 of your previous comments.

I am not yet done readin them, I am just very busy at the moment. I can only glance quickly and go back to my regular activities.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 5:56pm On Apr 03, 2018
LoJ:

Ohh I never answered this question.

it is actually very easy. You go to your profile, then you click on your posts. usually the previous 9 pages of your posts are available. What I do is that, I change the number of the page on the link on the browser. Instead of 1 (standing for page 1), I would write 240 for instance. It will then lead to page 240/239 of your previous comments.

I am not yet done readin them, I am just very busy at the moment. I can only glance quickly and go back to my regular activities.

So simple when you think of it. I was quite frustrated trying to access my old posts. I would try to remember the name of the thread it was on.

Thanks
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 11:45pm On Apr 03, 2018
If facts are not Truth, and if our knowledge is not Truth but a perspective biased formulation then how can be go about discovering and applying the truth in our lives.

I think that while our various concepts and ideas cannot be the Truth itself, they can have varying compatibility to the Truth.

An ideology that is compatible with the Truth can persist for a while and be supported by the Truth.

Therefore, all our theories and ideologies should really be seen as working hypotheses. They should be adhered to for as long as they seem to work and discarded once they are found to no longer be effective.

A free man should not be a slave of any ideology.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 11:59am On Apr 04, 2018
PastorAIO:
If facts are not Truth, and if our knowledge is not Truth but a perspective biased formulation then how can be go about discovering and applying the truth in our lives.

I think that while our various concepts and ideas cannot be the Truth itself, they can have varying compatibility to the Truth.

An ideology that is compatible with the Truth can persist for a while and be supported by the Truth.

Therefore, all our theories and ideologies should really be seen as working hypotheses. They should be adhered to for as long as they seem to work and discarded once they are found to no longer be effective.

A free man should not be a slave of any ideology.

PastorAIO:

I have no ultimate conception of God. A concept is something that is created in the human brain and God is not in the human brain. I say that I have no Ultimate Concept of God yet being human I do form concepts and understandings of God based on my experiences. However time and time again my concepts and thought forms are always being shattered by Reality. So now I am prepared that God will confound whatever it is that I think of him or define as him.

I am not familiar with the Grail Message though i have read of Wolfram Von Eschenbach. Both the arthurian legends and the tales of Parzival.

Same thing said differently, 10 years apart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2018
PastorAIO:
Same thing said differently, 10 years apart.
I actually read that and it was so enlightening.

We usually suppose, once we have found a higher truth, or should I say a "new fact" to use your terminology, that we have uncovered the whole truth. And in the face of a new higher truth or other aspects of it, we tend to reject it and stagnate. What was once an instrument of freedom, becomes the object of our new slavery.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2018
LoJ:

I actually read that and it was so enlightening.

We usually suppose, once we have found a higher truth, or should I say a "new fact" to use your terminology, that we have uncovered the whole truth. And in the face of a new higher truth or other aspects of it, we tend to reject it and stagnate. What was once an instrument of freedom, becomes the object of our new slavery.

Every system in the world whether it be our cognitive systems, our sociopolitical systems, physical systems, or whatever, can exist in one of three phases and shifts from one phase to another.

The first phase is Inertia or Rigor.

The next phase is Dynamism or Vivacity.

And then there is Sheer Potentiality.

In Inertia the system stays the same and change is resisted.

In Dynamism the system takes one form and then changes to another form, and keeps changing.

In Sheer Potency the system does not manifest as any specific actual form but as the potential to take any number of forms.

These three phases span everything in the entire universe.

They occur naturally and they also occur by human endeavour.

eg. Some romantic relationships are Inert. A couple find themselves and never leave each other. This can happen naturally or it can be enforced with a marriage contract etc.
Other romantic relationships are dynamic and they occur for a while and then the couple break up to go and form other relationships. Perhaps they may come back together again at a future date.
And then other romantic relationships never actually manifest but remain a strong potential.

Hermes: Philosophy hath three parts, that is to say, Sol, Luna and Mercury. Of those being joined together, father Hermes knew how to make tincture.
- Rose Garden of the Philosophers

This is not too dissimilar to some understandings of the Hindu Gunas

In the philosophy of Yoga, all matter in the universe arises from the fundamental substrate called Prakriti. From this ethereal Prakriti the three primary gunas (qualities) emerge creating the essential aspects of all nature—energy, matter and consciousness. These three gunas are tamas (darkness), rajas (activity), and sattva (beingness).All three gunas are always present in all beings and objects surrounding us but vary in their relative amounts. We humans have the unique ability to consciously alter the levels of the gunas in our bodies and minds. The gunas cannot be separated or removed in oneself, but can be consciously acted upon to encourage their increase or decrease. A guna can be increased or decreased through the interaction and influence of external objects, lifestyle practices and thoughts.
- http://www.yogabasics.com/learn/the-3-gunas-of-nature/

Actually in every system the 3 phases are in operation. So while Inertia is trying to keep things together the same, Dynamism is trying to effect change on the situation, and Potential is there too enabling the other 2 phases.

In my humble opinion this is what the Trinity is and it is found not only in our contemplation of the Divine but in all things.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:03pm On Apr 04, 2018
Potential is hard to explain. An example that I really like is from Martial Arts. There is a stance called the Cat's poise. From this position it is possible to advance into an attacking stance or retreat into a defensive stance. The idea is that it is a position from which you maximise your possibilities.

I don't like how value judgements are put on the gunas in yoga philosophy. They can all be used to Good effect as well as bad effect. It is possible to have too much Sattva (if we may be permitted to use the term) resulting in bad things.

Tamas/Inertia also gives us stability, discipline, comfort, predictability and the safety that implies.

Rajas/Dynamism while good for getting things done and changing circumstances can lead to Wars and a great deal of stress.

Sattva when it excess can cause one to wallow in the possibility of events and then miss the opportunity to actually commit to one position or the other. Potential can be sweet and alluring to our detriment.
e.g Money can potentially be a new car, or a family holiday, or someone's school fees. However if you don't commit it in one actual thing or the other you will eventually lose it. Inflation might be eating away at your spending potential every minute......

Or another example would be the woman that has so many suitors that it goes to her head. The possibilities are endless, half the men in town want her. If she wallows too long in the enjoyment of this very Sattvic situation she will one day wake up to find that she is no longer eligible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2018
PastorAIO:

I still see no reason for the special status given to it. What makes it different from any other book, or any other text? What makes it different from any other artifact that man has made, or from any other natural thing in the world. Does it speak more of God, or better of God, than the stars in the heavens, than the Mountains and the seas, or trees and winds? I would say No!
the special status is because it is inspired, God inspired ancient men to put down for us his love story...God's will to save humanity by giving us his son.

it is that belief that makes the Bible special, it is inspired to reveal God's saving plan and his redeeming love.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 5:30pm On Apr 05, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the special status is because it is inspired, God inspired ancient men to put down for us his love story...God's will to save humanity by giving us his son.

it is that belief that makes the Bible special, it is inspired to reveal God's saving plan and his redeeming love.

Is it the only inspired thing in this whole world? That's my point.
Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 5:44pm On Apr 05, 2018
PastorAIO:

Is it the only inspired thing in this whole world? That's my point.
nope, but for the Christian faith, it is the inspired text par excellence.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 7:36am On Apr 06, 2018
Ubenedictus:
nope, but for the Christian faith, it is the inspired text par excellence.

This is circular. I asked why is it special.

You say because it's inspired

I say is it the only inspired thing.

You say it's inspiration is par excellence.

Is that a special kind of inspiration separate from , say, the inspiration that led men to say that god is a trinity?
Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:04am On Apr 06, 2018
PastorAIO:

This is circular. I asked why is it special.

You say because it's inspired

I say is it the only inspired thing.

You say it's inspiration is par excellence.

Is that a special kind of inspiration separate from , say, the inspiration that led men to say that god is a trinity?
I agree, it is circular.

allow me to respond later, if I see a non circular way, I'll use that.

1 Like

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 11:02am On Apr 06, 2018
PastorAIO:

Every system in the world whether it be our cognitive systems, our sociopolitical systems, physical systems, or whatever, can exist in one of three phases and shifts from one phase to another.

The first phase is Inertia or Rigor.

The next phase is Dynamism or Vivacity.

And then there is Sheer Potentiality.

I would like to correct myself here. Or subtly rephrase what I am saying cos I might be suggesting the wrong notion.

These 3 phases should actually be seen as tendencies. So in any system there is a tendency to become Inert, and there is also a tendency to become more dynamic or volatile, and there is also a tendency to increase Potential.

These 3 tendencies are in some sort of balance. Always 'pulling' against each other. One usually dominates in a system but can lose it's dominance.

This is important because you might observe a system that seems quite volatile when in fact it is dominated by the tendency to Inertia and while it is still quite volatile it is quickly becoming more and more inert.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 11:31am On Apr 06, 2018
I use the term System in the scientific sense:

system is a regularly interacting or interdependent group of items forming an integrated whole.[1] Every system is delineated by its spatial and temporal boundaries, surrounded and influenced by its environment, described by its structure and purpose and expressed in its functioning.
--Wikipedia

So an example of a system could be the human body. Or a Car. Or a Company. Or a Country.

There are 'closed' systems and 'open' systems. An open system can be affected by influences outside the system. So the influence of viruses outside the body can still enter the body and make it sick.

Then you also have closed systems. like an hermetically sealed container. Of course it would be impossible (or highly unlikely at the very least) to create a strictly closed system. If a hermetically sealed container can keep out air and gases from the container it cannot keep out Heat. If you warm the container from outside the contents will get hot so there is a heating influence coming in from outside.

A hermetic seal is any type of sealing that makes a given object airtight (excluding passage of air, oxygen, or other gases). The term originally applied to airtight glass containers, but as technology advanced it applied to a larger category of materials, including rubber and plastics.
-Wikipedia

Well, there is one system that many agree is a totally closed system. That is the Universe. There is nothing outside of the Universe to influence what is going on in the Universe.

I say many people agree. Some won't even agree that the universe is a closed system. They will say that God is outside of the Universe and he can influence events in the Universe. However others would say that God is a part of the universe. ...

Obviously how a system is delineated is totally arbitrary. You can call a village a system, but would that include it's surrounding farms or just the dwelling places etc etc etc....

But once a System is defined we find in the interaction of it's parts the effect of all 3 tendencies with one dominating at any point.
Re: Des Pensees by Ubenedictus(m): 8:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
PastorAIO:

the stars of the heavens may tell us there is a God, but they do not tell us who he is. the Bible does.

of course the Bible speaks more of God, in a way no other does... there are not very many religions that have their God dying for them. nor many that speak of the relationship between God and his creatures in the same way. it tells us who God is.

it creates its own world view different from any other.

but more so the very truth that it is inspired...its entire idea is God presenting to man the truths about himself and us. I know you'll say that is circular and maybe it is... but if you hold that God has specifically prepared a text to give you the truth about himself and others would you treat it like any other text where man puts down a truth he may have discovered about God.

for the Christian, the Bible is what God says of himself... that is totally different from what a man may have discovered about God. here it is God who takes the initiative using human instruments, culture....not man.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:17pm On Aug 12, 2018
Ubenedictus:
the stars of the heavens may tell us there is a God, but they do not tell us who he is. the Bible does.

When you say 'who he is' what do you mean? Do you mean that it tells us which of a number of previously identified profiles is to be identified as God? Or do you mean that it depicts what characteristics make up his profile?

In my opinion the bible fails either way you look at it. It does not tell us 'who' god is better than the stars, or the mountains, or even our very own breath.

of course the Bible speaks more of God, in a way no other does... there are not very many religions that have their God dying for them. nor many that speak of the relationship between God and his creatures in the same way. it tells us who God is.
Totally false. The entire history of humanity is full of gods that die for their adherents and for all of the universe. Even in Yoruba land we have the tale of Moremi's sacrifice of her only son, and the sacrifice of Olurombi of her only son.
The entirety of Canaan was full of the story of the Death and Resurrection of the god Baal.

The Greek myths are full of the stories of dying and resurrecting Gods. e.g Adonis and Attis

The babylonians had the death and resurrection of Tammuz.

it creates its own world view different from any other.
Every culture in the world has it's own unique worldview.

but more so the very truth that it is inspired...its entire idea is God presenting to man the truths about himself and us. I know you'll say that is circular and maybe it is... but if you hold that God has specifically prepared a text to give you the truth about himself and others would you treat it like any other text where man puts down a truth he may have discovered about God.

Apart from the fact that the bible itself does not claim to be written by God (via human agency or otherwise) I think it is totally self evident that the bible is a human artifact replete from cover to cover with human foibles.

By the very nature of what text is, how language is structured, I consider the notion of any text giving the truth about God as utterly ludicrous.

for the Christian, the Bible is what God says of himself... that is totally different from what a man may have discovered about God. here it is God who takes the initiative using human instruments, culture....not man.

I say this is utterly untrue and demonstrably so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:44pm On Nov 27, 2018
PastorAIO:

For me personally, I like to define Truth as That Which Is And Always Is The Case.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 12:49pm On Nov 27, 2018
Intentions:

I can speak with the intention of making a specific point.

I can speak with the intention of obfuscation and hiding a point.

I can speak with the intention of expressing the possibility of a number of options. For instance, in a joke. My intention is to make you think I'm making one point but with the punchline you realise that the point is actually different. I can't think of a joke right now to illustrate..... I'll be back with one.

PastorAIO:

How specific does an intended message have to be? i.e Can a double entendre be intended? In which case the intention is not one point or the other but the contemplation of the possibility of both points.

On the other hand in communication how accurately does received understanding reflect intention. You say what you mean but do I get what you mean? Or did you mean what I Understood?

These and many other interesting questions can be addressed to the issue of communications.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2018
PastorAIO:
Intentions:

I can speak with the intention of making a specific point.

I can speak with the intention of obfuscation and hiding a point.

I can speak with the intention of expressing the possibility of a number of options. For instance, in a joke. My intention is to make you think I'm making one point but with the punchline you realise that the point is actually different. I can't think of a joke right now to illustrate..... I'll be back with one.

A great possible example here:

Image123:
^it's not exactly a new perspective. The statement is 'ambiguous' if i'm permitted to use that word. Actually it's a play of/on words by the all seeing, all knowing Creator. The two meanings are true and applicable. Many will say that Jesus is Christ, and will deceive many. Other manys will say they are the Christ i.e the messiah, and many will be deceived. Also add that Jesus had not just the immediate audience in mind when He spoke/abi na spake. He seemed to have a future audience, even yet in our future, in mind. He's the unparalleled, really, the One who created grammar, the Word personified.
Re: Des Pensees by Image123(m): 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2018
PastorAIO:

A great possible example here:
You'd be okay soon in Jesus name. amen
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 10:27pm On Nov 28, 2018
Image123:

You'd be okay soon in Jesus name. amen

Sorry for the mention but you provided a wonderful example of what I was trying to point out.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2019
PastorAIO:

For me then, The Logos is the 'blueprint', the Original copy of, Firstly, the entire Universe, and Secondly of ourselves and the course of our Lives.

It is often translated as 'Account' in English, however, An account of something is often derived from the original something. e.g. An account of this morning's events is given AFTER this morning's events have occurred, and the account can be an accurate account or it might not be an accurate account.
The use of the word Logos in religion/philosophy is NOT a derived Account. No! In fact it is the events that are derived from the Logos.
So to stay with our example above, This morning's events are derived from An Account of the events, and furthermore this morning's events can be an accurate or inaccurate depiction of the Account.

Let me put it like this: The entire history of the Universe is derived from the Logos/Account. History can be a true and accurate representatlon of the Logos/Account or it can derail and be a poor representation.

So imagine God creates first a Plan, An Account, A Logos, and then from this Logos a world is created by derivation.

Then imagine that the World deviates from the original plan and is no longer an accurate derivation of the Logos.

Or to bring it down to a Microcosmic level, Imagine that a man/woman in the course of his/her life deviates from his/her Logos and is no longer an accurate derivation of the Plan. Imagine that this is a cause of grave discontent for the person. This is the situation of Humanity and the World today. And the only way to relieve oneself of this state of discontent is to re-align oneself with the Logos.

https://www.nairaland.com/184102/logos
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 3:04pm On Jan 17, 2019
PastorAIO:
So how come the inaccurate derivation from Logos can occur.

We have to look into the 'anatomy' of humans.

It is believed that there are two aspects to the human Being. One part is Adamant and the other part is Malleable. The Adamant part is often called the Higher Soul while the Malleable part is called the Lower soul.

The Higher Soul is connected directly with Divinity and through it we perceive the Logos.

The Lower Soul is connected to the Senses and through it we perceive the physical world around us and we get influenced through it by our physical environment/society etc....

The perfect situation would be for the Lower Soul to mold itself and take the form of the Higher Soul, however with most of us this is not the case. Rather it gets influenced and molded by the physical environment, the opinions of others in society, the fears and insecurities brought about by the limited and subjective perception of the Senses. This is what causes it to deviate from the Adamant Higher Soul. This is the cause of unnecessary suffering and the reason why we need Religion.

Religion is to Re-ligere, Re- bind the Lower Soul to the Higher Soul.

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:36pm On Feb 05, 2019
PastorAIO:
I believe that in the parlance of the Gospel according to John the Lower Soul is what is called Sarx (translated into english as Flesh), and the Higher Soul is what is called Pneuma (translated into english as Spirit).

John 3:6
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.c 7Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘Youd must be born again.’ 8The winde blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Or to keep the Greek terms intact that passage should read....

That which is born of Sarx, Sarx is what it is, and that which is born of Pneuma, Pneuma is what it is.

This shows us that there are definitely two distinct parts of the human 'anatomy', or the human 'being'.

Also earlier in the passage, verse 3, Jesus says...

3Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.

That means that Sarx cannot perceive divine things but rather can only be aware of the information it gets from the '5 senses'.

On the other hand, in order to perceive divine things we need the Pneuma. But the Pneuma must be activated. Only then can we hear the Logos.
Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 1:47pm On Feb 05, 2019
The following is taken from Here: https://www.nairaland.com/630887/kingdom-heaven

The Kingdom of Heaven.

No doubt the objective of every christian is to get to heaven. The only difference is in the understanding of what this kingdom of heaven actually is. Is it is place in the sky that we'll go when we die and which we will enter into through some pearly gates with St. Peter standing guard at the gates? Or is it something that is not someplace else but rather right here and now to be accessed in the the present.

In luke chapter 21 Jesus says
21Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

This suggestion that the kingdom is not something that can be pointed at like a place or an object but rather in something that is within us makes the notion of a future place shaky. There is obviously more to the Kingdom of Heaven that what many of us think.

Jesus goes to great lengths to explain what he means by the Kingdom of God/Heaven through the use of many parables. There is one parable above all that is key to understanding all the others.
Mark 4
13And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables?

This refers to the parable of the sower and it goes something like this (a one a two, a one two three four . . . ):

3Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow: 4And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up. 5And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth: 6But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away. 7And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up, and choked it, and it yielded no fruit. 8And other fell on good ground, and did yield fruit that sprang up and increased; and brought forth, some thirty, and some sixty, and some an hundred. 9And he said unto them, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Mark chapter 4.

He then goes on to explain this parable, thereby giving us insight into the mysteries of the Kingdom of God. The seed represents a Logon (an ancient greek term translated into english as word). Let us look closer at what the word Logos (logon) actually means because merely translating it as 'word' does not do it sufficient justice.

Wikipedia:
Logos (pronounced /ˈloʊɡɒs/, /ˈlɒɡɒs/ (UK), or /ˈloʊɡoʊs/ (US); Greek λόγος logos) is an important term in philosophy, psychology, rhetoric and religion. Originally a word meaning "word," "speech," "account," or "reason,"[1][2] it became a technical term in philosophy, beginning with Heraclitus (ca. 535–475 BC), who used the term for the principle of order and knowledge.[3]

The original meaning refers to an utterance, a telling, a story, reason. Heraclitus was the first philosopher to use it to refer to a creative principle that gives order to the universe. The Plan of the Universe. He says:

"This LOGOS holds always but humans always prove unable to understand it, both before hearing it and when they have first heard it. For though all things come to be in accordance with this LOGOS, humans are like the inexperienced when they experience such words and deeds as I set out, . . .

It was also used by the Stoics in their philosophy. Wikipedia:

In Stoic philosophy, which began with Zeno of Citium c. 300 BC, the logos was the active reason pervading the universe and animating it. It was conceived of as material, and is usually identified with God or Nature. The Stoics also referred to the seminal logos, ("logos spermatikos"wink or the law of generation in the universe, which was the principle of the active reason working in inanimate matter. Humans, too, each possess a portion of the divine logos.[23]

Reason did not just mean right thinking, but also Cause as in the reason for something existing. The purpose of it's existence and what brings it into existence. The Logos is like the Plan, or the blue-print of a thing, or of the world.

When the Jews became Hellenized they used logos to represent the hebrew word Dabar when they translated the bible into greek (the septuagint). Dabar means the speech. So in Psalm 33: 6 when we see -
By the word of the LORD were the heavens made and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth

By the Dabar of the Lord were the heavens made . . .
Or,
By the Logos of the Lord were the heavens made . . .

-this seems in keeping with the idea of Logos as the creative principle of the cosmos.

So by the time of Philo of Alexandria, a Jewish philosopher, the Jews were already familiar with the idea of Logos being an utterance from God that created the cosmos. Wikipedia:

Philo (20 BC - 50 AD), a Hellenized Jew, used the term Logos to mean an intermediary divine being, or demiurge.[5] Philo followed the Platonic distinction between imperfect matter and perfect idea, and therefore intermediary beings were necessary to bridge the enormous gap between God and the material world.[25] The Logos was the highest of these intermediary beings, and was called by Philo "the first-born of God."[25] Philo also wrote that "the Logos of the living God is the bond of everything, holding all things together and binding all the parts, and prevents them from being dissolved and separated."[26]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos

So we see that Logos already had a lofty position in the minds of all people in the Roman empire as well as amongst the jews. So by the time John opens his gospel with the words,

In the beginning was the Logos, and the Logos was with God, and the Logos was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
,that the Logos was a term already rich with meaning. So when we go back to look at Jesus' explanation of the parable of the sower we need to apply this understanding of the Logos to what Jesus is saying.

The Seed is a Logon, according to Jesus. I would like to suggest that the mystery of the Kingdom of God is nothing other than the process of maturation of the Logos from the moment of inception in our hearts to the point where it starts to bear fruit in our lives. It is analogous to the process of maturation of a plant from the time of the planting of the seed to the time when it bears fruit. This analogy to the maturation of a tree is so apt that it is used over and over again by Jesus whenever he tries to explain the kingdom.

This would suggest that in each and everybody there is a Logos in seed form that is planted in the heart of him. It is required that we hear it and then understand it. However Satan works to obfuscate this. He might snatch it up immediately so that the person in question is not even aware that they have a logos sown in their hearts.
In others they falter because the logos brings with it persecutions and some cannot withstand this. Jesus says it's because they have no root in themselves. In others it is not suffering and persecution that hinders the Logos but rather enjoyment and lusts. These are said to be amongst thorns.
Then there are those who provide good soil for the logos and it grows and brings forth fruit, multifold.

So this, the very first of the parables on the Kingdom of God, is the key to the Kingdom of God. Understand this and much else will fall into place.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 7:50am On Jul 29, 2019
How come Socrates never cries, and how come Jesus never laughs? - Cornel West

Is there any humour in the entire bible? - Joe Rogan.

Well Isaac is named because his mom laughed when told she would be pregnant- Cornel West

I'm paraphrasing here but I've just listened to a very interesting conversation with some deep points

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by PastorAIO: 8:01am On Jul 29, 2019
Ifa verses are full of humour and the whole range of human experiences and emotions...

But the bible in contrast seems so two dimensional and even caricaturish.
So too the stories of Socrates. Much is done to depict him as laughing, joyful even at the point of death.

Jesus, on the other hand, if he is not flogging money changers and rebuking men and spirits and expressing ire, he is weeping for Jerusalem etc etc... Jesus wept

And these two traditions are the 2 pillars of Western European culture. Greek Socratic philosophy and Christianity.

I wonder what this can tell us about western culture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Des Pensees by Anas09: 8:51am On Jul 29, 2019
PastorAIO:
Ifa verses are full of humour and the whole range of human experiences and emotions...

But the bible in contrast seems so two dimensional and even caricaturish.
So too the stories of Socrates. Much is done to depict him as laughing, joyful even at the point of death.

Jesus, on the other hand, if he is not flogging money changers and rebuking men and spirits and expressing ire, he is weeping for Jerusalem etc etc... Jesus wept

And these two traditions are the 2 pillars of Western European culture. Greek Socratic philosophy and Christianity.

I wonder what this can tell us about western culture.

Painment
Re: Des Pensees by Nobody: 11:29am On Jul 29, 2019
PastorAIO:
..I wonder what this can tell us about western culture.

This is quite an interesting analysis. I never thought of nor paid attention to that, as a former avid reader of socratic works and biblical writ.

I was told by an elder of the Lectorium that enlightenment is achieved by joining what he called spirituality of the heart and spirituality of reason. He told me that the spirituality of the heart is emotional in nature and include laughter passion and movement, while that of reason was austere, disciplined and methodic.

We never talked deeply about that, but maybe this goes in line with your observation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is It A Sin To Begin January 1 Drinking In A Bar? / As Christians, What Does It Truly Mean By No Sex Before Marriage? / PHOTOS- Founder Of Celica Church Of Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.