Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,378 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Similarity Between Bini And Igbo - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo (24095 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by chyz(m): 5:31am On Nov 13, 2010
omonuan:

Another similarity between Anioma Igbo and Bini

Anioma-Opiah=Cutlass/machete
Bini-Opiah= Cutlass/machete

Anioma-Ogali=knife
Bini-ogali=knife

omonuan, would you happen to know the Bini word for stone? The Igbo, Urhobo, and Yoruba share similarities with that word so I'm thinking Bini would also.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 13, 2010
Chyz:

General Bini word for  big stone  OKWHAIHE
Pebbles- OVIA
Secred stones in Bini are called "Okuta" so in a way it is similar.
some Bini do call stone "ugbe."
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by chyz(m): 6:14am On Nov 13, 2010
omonuan:

Chyz:

General Bini word for big stone OKWHAIHE
Pebbles- OVIA
Secred stones in Bini are called "Okuta" so in a way it is similar

i thought as much, thanks. What of chicken? i believe the same may apply.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Nobody: 7:45am On Nov 13, 2010
More Similar Words:

Bini-rrie Igbo- rie =EAT

Bini -Egugu Anioma-Egwugwu =masquerade

Bini-Oka Igbo-Oka=maize/corn

Igbo Akpati Bini-Ekpeti =luggage/suitcase

Igbo Ogede Bini-Oghede=Plantain/banana

Igbo -Onu Bini-Unu= mouth

Bini -ofiugbon Anioma-Ofigbo =palm oil

Bini-ta Anioma Igbo-ta=tell

Bini-Oyi Igbo-Oshi=thief

Bini-u Anioma-u =You

Bini-Egogo Anioma-Agogo=Gong

Bini-okhokho Igbo-Okuku/okuko-chickens

Bini-Hano Anioma-Hai/hano =choose

Bini-Ekita Igbo Nkita=dog

Bini-kakaka Anioma-kakaka=dry as he is very dry or the fruit is dry

Bini-Eni Igbo-Enyi =Elephant

Bini-Ukpa Anioma-Ukpe=lantern/bush lamp

Bini-Igho Igbo-Ego=money
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by vicenzo(m): 8:43am On Nov 13, 2010
Agbontaen is a disgrace to ndi igbo,he keeps giving enemies of ndi igbo reasons to laugh,he keeps littering ika threads in nairaland with his copy and paste bini crap.Omonuan is a God sent,at least he will always be here to keep agbontaen in check.@Chyz. Your discussion with omonuan was informative,for example i have always wondered why a male born on orie market day in my part of igboland(umunneochi) is always named okorie why a female born on the same market day is named mgborie,it is now clear to me since okoro is for male and for the first time i ve come to known dat mgba is also for female.Chyz are u an urohbo?
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by chyz(m): 9:21am On Nov 13, 2010
vicenzo:

Agbontaen is a disgrace to ndi igbo,he keeps giving enemies of ndi igbo reasons to laugh,he keeps littering ika threads in nairaland with his copy and paste bini crap.Omonuan is a God sent,at least he will always be here to keep agbontaen in check.@Chyz. Your discussion with omonuan  was informative,for example i have always wondered why a male born on orie market day in my part of igboland(umunneochi) is always named okorie why a female born on the same market day is named mgborie,it is now clear to me since okoro is for male and for the first time i ve come to known dat mgba is also for female.Chyz are u an urohbo?

Mba nu  my brother I am nwa afor Igbo. Check the profile pic.cool
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by vicenzo(m): 9:30am On Nov 13, 2010
Okay,nwa nna,i ma na onye ajuju adaa efu uzo.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by chyz(m): 10:14am On Nov 13, 2010
vicenzo:

Okay,nwa nna,i ma na onye ajuju adaa efu uzo.

Yes of course, o wu eziokwu. Any question i have that I think Ndigbo can benefit from or find likeness in then why not ask. smiley
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2010
vicenzo:

for example i have always wondered why a male born on orie market day in my part of igboland(umunneochi) is always named okorie why a female born on the same market day is named mgborie,it is now clear to me since okoro is for male and for the first time i ve come to known dat [b]mgba [/b]is also for female.
I'm not sure I agree with you here. It's my understanding that "mgbọ" is the term that you seem to be thinking of, most probably derived from the same basis as "agbọghọ", and not "mgba". Unless of course, "mgba" is actually used by your people, in this context.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ezeagu(m): 3:02pm On Nov 13, 2010
Edo - Okpoho Ika - Okpoho
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Nobody: 4:43pm On Nov 13, 2010
I can't speak on Agbontaen's motivations.  However, I have seen his positions on not being Igbo. I chose not to participate on that thread because another Ika man from Igbodo has given him history lessons on the issue. Moreover, I don't participate on threads where insults are bandied around. 

Furthermore, I know that those Igbo that deny being Igbo like some Ikwerre, Agbontaen and his cohorts are strident in their beliefs. So even if their father tells them they are Igbo they'll still insist they are not.  Afterall, the Obi of Owa participates in Igbo activities and has stated that Owa came from Nri yet Agbontaen who claims to be from Owa has not taken heed.

For those Anioma people that say they are Bini, they do so out of nothing but nostalgia.  I have given a cornucopia of common words used by Bini and Anioma. However, 98-99% of Anioma words are Igbo.  I was once at a gathering in Asaba where Anioma politicians gathered and where lamenting the demise of the famous Igbo Union of the 50s and 60s. They were saying that If Igbo Union was still in existence, the plight of Igbo in Nigerian would have been better.  I interjected by reminding them that some Anioma people say we are not Igbo to which they all responded in unison by saying "then what are we?" One of them coincidentally from Ika said anybody that says that publicly is "ignorant."  I agree with him on this into-to.

You guys should let Agbontaen be because another common trait of those people that loath being Igbo is that they crave attention.  Do not give it to them. I always remind those Anioma Igbo that loath being Igbo that the modern day Bini massacre occurred in 1967 with the blood of Anioma people flowing like river on the streets of Benin City. The only Anioma crime then was that they were Igbo and it was open season on Igbo people -the pogrom against Igbo was every where in Nigeria. I wonder how Agbontean would convince the Bini that he is one of them and not Igbo were he to face the vicious Bini guillotine.

Going back to our Igbo tent of brotherhood would ensure that  we will all hold hands with our brothers accross the Niger and say never again! Like the jews did after the holocaust, never again shall the Igbo be massacred on a large scale without retributions. Ise!

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by chyz(m): 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I'm not sure I agree with you here. It's my understanding that "mgbọ" is the term that you seem to be thinking of, most probably derived from the same basis as "agbọghọ", and not "mgba". Unless of course, "mgba" is actually used by your people, in this context.

Was thinking the same thing also.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by AndreUweh(m): 5:04pm On Nov 13, 2010
omonuan:

I can't speak on Agbontaen's motivations.  However, I have seen his positions on not being Igbo. I chose not to participate on that thread because another Ika man from Igbodo has given him history lessons on the issue. Moreover, I don't participate on threads where insults are bandied around.  

Furthermore, I know that those Igbo that deny being Igbo like some Ikwerre, Agbontaen and his cohorts are strident in their beliefs. So even if their father tells them they are Igbo they'll still insist they are not.  Afterall, the Obi of Owa participates in Igbo activities and has stated that Owa came from Nri yet Agbontaen who claims to be from Owa has not taken heed.

For those Anioma people that say they are Bini, they do so out of nothing but nostalgia.  I have given a cornucopia of common words used by Bini and Anioma. However, 98-99% of Anioma words are Igbo.  I was once at a gathering in Asaba where Anioma politicians gathered and where lamenting the demise of the famous Igbo Union of the 50s and 60s. They were saying that If Igbo Union was still in existence, the plight of Igbo in Nigerian would have been better.  I interjected by reminding them that some Anioma people say we are not Igbo to which they all responded in unison by saying "then what are we?" One of them coincidentally from Ika said anybody that says that publicly is "ignorant."  I agree with him on this into-to.

You guys should let Agbontaen be because another common trait of those people that loath being Igbo is they crave attention.  Do not give it to them. I always remind those Anioma Igbo that loath being Igbo that the modern day Bini massacre occurred in 1967 with the blood of Anioma people flowing like river on the streets of Benin City. The only Anioma crime then was that they were Igbo and it was open season on Igbo people -the pogrom against Igbo was every where in Nigeria. I wonder how Agbontean would convince the Bini that he is one of them and not Igbo were he to face the vicious Bini guillotine.

Going back to our Igbo tent of brotherhood would ensure that  we will all hold hands with our brothers accross the Niger and say never again! Like the jews did after the holocaust, never again shall the Igbo be massacred on a large scale without retribution. Ise!
Thanks a lot and keep it coming. But believe me, be prepared for Agbontaen when he comes in. He is also insultive.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 1:24am On Nov 14, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I don't think you're right, it is not "mgbo" but "mgba".
Mgbaeke = Mgbeke (In Igbo class, it is call "olilo nlocha"wink
Mgbaafor = Mgbafor
Mgbaorie = Mgborie,
Mgbankwo = [b]Mgba[/b]nkwo and not Mgbonkwo.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Abagworo(m): 3:36am On Nov 14, 2010
Obiagu1:

I don't think you're right, it is not "mgbo" but "mgba".
Mgbaeke = Mgbeke (In Igbo class, it is call "olilo nlosha"wink
Mgbaafor = Mgbafor
Mgbaorie = Mgborie,
Mgbankwo = [b]Mgba[/b]nkwo and not Mgbonkwo.

It varies according to dialect.

Speaking of dialect,the use of central Igbo has made people unaware of the heavy dialectal differences in Igboland.I attended a tradtional introduction in Ngwaland{Ihie Obeaku} today and realized that Ebonyi(Izzi) and Ngwa could not communicate.I served as an interpreter for the two parties.It was glaringly funny that an Edo guy was wondering if Izzi and Ngwa spoke thesame language.I love my knowledge of almost all Igbo dialects including Ikwerre and Ogba.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:17am On Nov 14, 2010
Chyz, I know, and aside from that, the whole "mgba" thing doesn't even register with me. . but I guess it registers well with other groups.

Obiagu1, maybe this is one of those north/south things, because I've not once ever even heard of "Mgbankwo", until you mentioned it (I even had to Google it, in fact, for verification and just to satisfy my curiosity). Likewise, I have never come across an "Mgbonkwo". I have only heard of "Mgbokwo". So, I'm more inclined to see sense in the "mgbo" understanding, as opposed to "mgba" (I don't even know how to pronounce this one, sef).
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 8:06am On Nov 14, 2010
^^^

mgba, woman and mgba, wrestling are pronounced alike.

Anyway, mgbankwo is used in central Igbo just like mgborie rather than mgboye (north) is used in central Igbo.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:37pm On Nov 14, 2010
Oh well, I guess we all learn something new everyday. NL is the first I've ever heard of "mgba", then again, I'm not conversant in central, so I guess that ought to be expected.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2010
By the way, what is "olilo nlosha"?
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 4:12pm On Nov 14, 2010
Sorry it is "olilo nlocha". I've corrected it. "Lo" means "to swallow".

When a vowel (uda ume/udume) follows another different vowel in a sentence or combined words, the first vowel becomes silent. In the case of combined words, the first vowel in not written at all like "Mgbaeke" becomes "Mgbeke".

"Ebee ka i na-eje?" is pronounced as "Ebee ki neje?". (Where are you going?)
Eje is not central though, i just used it for illustration. Aga is used instead.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 5:53pm On Nov 14, 2010
Alright. Cool. Is there also an expression for when two consecutive vowels blend and form a new vowel? Or for when the second vowel becomes silent, instead?
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 14, 2010
Nope, both situations don't arise in Igbo.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 6:50pm On Nov 14, 2010
Interesting. Okay, thanks.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Nobody: 3:30am On Nov 15, 2010
Ezeagu: Okpoho is generally used by Anioma as a whole to refer to woman not just Ika. I hope you know this!

More similarities:

Bini -Okhue Anioma-Okhue/Oko/Okoh Means mighty/strong man. This is also akin to Okoro/Okolo and for Anioma people Okobia.

Bini-ga tor Anioma-ga tor=to live long
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 1:54pm On Nov 15, 2010
Abagworo:

It varies according to dialect.

Speaking of dialect,the use of central Igbo has made people unaware of the heavy dialectal differences in Igboland.I attended a tradtional introduction in Ngwaland{Ihie Obeaku} today and[b] realized that Ebonyi(Izzi) and Ngwa could not communicate[/b].I served as an interpreter for the two parties.It was glaringly funny that an Edo guy was wondering if Izzi and Ngwa spoke thesame language.I love my knowledge of almost all Igbo dialects including Ikwerre and Ogba.
Was it mutual unintelligibility (neither party could understand each other) or was the [un]intelligibility only one-sided (only one of the parties could understand the other)?
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by abagoro(m): 2:26pm On Nov 15, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Was it mutual unintelligibility (neither party could understand each other) or was the [un]intelligibility only one-sided (only one of the parties could understand the other)?

Mutual partial intelligibility.They were able to grab few sentences while unable to understand most.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ChinenyeN(m): 4:49pm On Nov 15, 2010
abagoro:

Mutual partial intelligibility.They were able to grab few sentences while unable to understand most.
Alright. Thank you.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by agbotaen: 4:35pm On Mar 03, 2012
when did nduka and ovia tell you they were igbos ? why do you people delude your self on the internet? nduka obaigbena was interviewed by new york time he told them he was ika and are all these people members of ohaneze ndigbo? the answer is no.
they are simply ika people , jim ovia is one of the richest nigerian business man and he completely identifies with ika ,he is from agbor kingdom and no proper agbor man will say he is an igbo while obaigbena is from owa .
the only people you will see as ika parading themselves as igbos are those from igbodo and other small ika villages near the eastern flank of ika.
as for language ika has many dialects spoken by the different ika people ,the language has similarities with igbo, bini and even yoruba interms of the fact that their are some ika words that are choosen from this languages.
eghani iri - how are you , that is how owa people often greet .
answer will be owunma or ohonma
kiro - what is it ,
irehun re meme m---------------------- i am feeling sickly ,
m si ko da kpanmi okenyen ni , hun o gi chuni m uya , ogen ebi ufere gi heri ekwue m--------------- i will thank this man who assisted me when the wind destroyed my door.
ihien hain n gi jen ejijei wu ni acho nim ni m bie------------------the reason i went early was that i dont want to be late .
wata ni azun zi ile uzun isere ni ukpokpo yi i re ye enyin ehikogbe----------- this child stop making noise, the disturbance you are giving this environment is too much.

chukuka , nedi i ya lala kikeni , dodo jen men de dede e ------------------chukuka your father is coming please do and embrace him.
dodo wehe ni m , ayiya ni ri oke agara ni i ---------------please bring the comb on the chair.
ulakpa ni lala ni jen kor de kwondon okenyen i ra dun ihian ile ikpa, obihiar kor e------------this police man coming will arrest the man that is punching/striking every one and he would not let him go .
a ghogho kem oooo, ogen gi hun obi ke o duhe uje----------------------------------i became so happy when i saw the king dancing
etita ara yime ewuru ofefe-------------------- a dirty person does not wear clean white cloths.

ika language is a language to be studied , the problem is that many of the things that goes for ika language today even by ika people is highly adultrated and that is why we need to write and learn from our older people and preserve it . many ika people often change ika words and replace them with non ika words and after a time it become a part of the language.

i am presently writing a book on 500 proper ika names .
1. a chair in owa is agah or agarah,but you find some saying oche.
2. hapiness is ighogho ,but some a saying anwinli .
3. oke means up or mountain,some now use elu.
4. ulakpa is police , but some are calling ewuru ogi
5. needle is oloden ,some are saying ntutu
6. nail is ise ,some are saying ntu
7. door is ekwue ,some are saying uzor.
8. ehi is guardian spirit ,some are saying chi
9. edionma was original owa word for elder ,but now many say diokpa.
10. isere is outside ,now some say ihun ezi
11. ukpokpo is trouble , now some say nsogbu.
12. to discurse is inyenren ,
but luckily we have many people who are writing to halt this trend.
even some of the names ika people bear today are wrong as they have no bearing on our culture and tradition and even language. like an ika person bearing chinedu or chioma or anwunli especially if the person is from agbor, owa, abavo, idumesah and others ,but i cant say that of the eastern communities of ika .
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by agbotaen: 7:13pm On Apr 13, 2012
most igbo people always make me laugh , why do igbo people always refuse to acknowledge the truth ? and why do they lie endlessly to themselves and others?
if not why is it difficult for them to know that many anioma communities have migration from bini and otehr places and also have from igbo land and these people have mixed and some of this communities speak a kind of language that borrows from igbo and bini or yoruba ?
in owa- an ika speaking community and others we do know words that came from bini and those that came from igbo
no matter the little alteration at times.
1. bini -idunwun - village in ika -idumu
2. odion -elder in bini in owa- edionma
3/ ofungbon - palmoil in both bini and ika.
all this words are purely bini words we got from our forefathers .
so also we have igbo words like enya- eyes,
uku- leg, it does not take rocket science to know this are igbo words .
most ika community evolved from interractions between original edo and igbo cultures.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by agbotaen: 7:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
agbotean is not bini but i am ika , and i am not igbo either. as for the civil war stories you like to say over and over again , who provoked the bini , why did biafra attack and take over bini and even insulted them by appointing an igbo man called okonkwo to rule the areas , and why did igbos maltreat the oba of benin , and why did they occupy ika land without consulting our elders , i am not supporting killings,but even in agbor area ,biafra did kill many people too who were not igbos.for your information hundreds of thousands of anioma people still leave in benin today and they are not molested and they have refussed to come home.so enough of this your war hatred stories, thousands of owa people live in owa-iru,owanikeke, obazagbon and others and i even have relatives there they live in orhiowon in edo and that is their town and they were not murdered or displaced .war is beyond ethnicity and what can you say about modakeke and ife who fought burnt and destroyed each other ? what about umulere and agulere two igbo towns that killed and destroyed each other.
if benin hated anioma people so much why did they support dennis osadebey of asaba to become premier of mid-west.
ika people do not hate any one , not the binis as they are our brothers and we cannot hate igbos too , but we might have points of disagreements with these two groups.

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by agbotaen: 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2012
jim ovia and nduka obaigbena have never claimed to be igbo, but they are ika, nduka gave an interview to the new york times and he said he comes from a small ethnic group in nigeria called ika.
2. ika has about three dialects those spoken around owa and agbor ,those spoken around umunede and thos spoken around igbodo and other ika towns near there.
3. yes ika has come under many influence in language and many ika people dont even know what constitutes real ika language ,i will give some examples from ika as spoken by agbor and owa people , i am from owa,
1. crying in owa /agbor language proper is oro, and if you want to say the person is crying you say o ri e yi oro- he/she is crying.or okpoho ni ri e yi oro- this woman is crying.
2. original ika /owa word for fear is called uhue ,but today some ika people say egun, the sentence is uhue rie hue m- i am afraid.
3. let go is bihia in ika/ owa dialect but we have some ika areas that call it hapu , ya ono si okenyen ni bihia m- then he told the man to let go of me .
4. ikpa is punch in owa ,but some ika can call it okpo, we ria du ikpa- they are punching
5. egho hain ri uya- it is money that made me suffer .
6. watan ni dodo gbamini ukpe hu ye imen ugbegbe- this child please put the kerosene in the pot.
7. okenyeni ye ko kon nkikon , i wu ikpata ra ? this man you are too troublesome are you a ruffian ?
8. mri a rio oselobue ya gbodon ni m ukpokpo ni lalani ojuwu wehe------ i am begging God to protect me from this coming trouble from the devil.
9. nani? or nani iri ? - how are you
owunma/ohunma
kiro ? irehun ri e e mem- what is it ? i am sick
demedon irehun ri e me e ? ikunhun ro. what kind of sickness is troubling you ? it is cattaghr or you can say demedon emu ria ku e ?
ya gba le oloden ? have you taken injection , agba nim.
onobe ye jen da hun ojobu ,no kpa ye i ogun men ekere- after you can see the native doctor to give you small medicine .
ya ono kpanmi okenyen hun- then he thanked the man .
10. mr omonuan you can go on deluding yourself ,but i do know you are not ika and i also challenge you to tell this medium how many ika kings and royalties are members of ohaneze ndigbo ? also tell us what was ika stand during the civil war ? did they support nigeria or biafra ?
11. ika people are having their ethnic meetings in abavo kingdom soon that is the only ethnic group meeting you will find ika people apart from anioma .
i am very proud of being ika ,whatever any one writes that is their business ,but ika people have taken a stand that they are not igbo,but ika period .

2 Likes

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Ngodigha1(m): 10:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
^^^
The above crap shows how lonely you are. Mr man, the binis have longed denied you and regejected you while your fellow ikas identify with Ndigbo.
Avoid repetitions, quit copy and paste method and be more reasonable to your low life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief / Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 / Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.