Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,775 members, 7,798,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Similarity Between Bini And Igbo - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Similarity Between Bini And Igbo (24002 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Similarity In Some Nigerian Languages / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OneNaira6: 6:19am On Jun 16, 2012
Why do I have a feeling that agbotean is alj_harem account? From what I've noticed, any time someone gets into an argument with agbotean, alj_harem is there. Also I noticed, almost every single Ika on NL have one time or another argued with agobtean, some even avoiding him and some used fact to argue with him yet it is the same occurrence. The only person that I do know that is trying so hard in his pathetic life to break up anioma online btw is alj_harem. For a awhile i've been suspicious if agbotean is actually whom he claims to be. I can understand if every ika on NL stood alongside agbotean on his identify, I can also understand if the king of your community agrees with his identity but the fact none agrees with the man in question and pretty much all have insulted him or either avoided him, somwhat makes a person a little bit suspicious and to put icing to the cake, the only person riding alongside him is also the one of the tribalistic fools with no life that since i've been a member, have been trying his darnest to drag destruction in a community he knows absolutely zero knowledge of. If my assumption turns out to be correct, all I can say is someone definitely need to go out and get laid, get a life or jump of a bridge and just end his miserable life.

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:33am On Jun 16, 2012
Umuoji/Igbo
Ibiliachi is an old woman=agadi nwanyi
Onye ulu is a thief=onye ochi
Onye uchi is an elder=okenye
Ndeli is night=abali

Igbo varies from place to place...Agbotaen,your case is not different !!
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OneNaira6: 6:50am On Jun 16, 2012
omonuan: I can't speak on Agbontaen's motivations.  However, I have seen his positions on not being Igbo. I chose not to participate on that thread because another Ika man from Igbodo has given him history lessons on the issue. Moreover, I don't participate on threads where insults are bandied around. 

Furthermore, I know that those Igbo that deny being Igbo like some Ikwerre, Agbontaen and his cohorts are strident in their beliefs. So even if their father tells them they are Igbo they'll still insist they are not.  Afterall, the Obi of Owa participates in Igbo activities and has stated that Owa came from Nri yet Agbontaen who claims to be from Owa has not taken heed.

For those Anioma people that say they are Bini, they do so out of nothing but nostalgia.  I have given a cornucopia of common words used by Bini and Anioma. However, 98-99% of Anioma words are Igbo.  I was once at a gathering in Asaba where Anioma politicians gathered and where lamenting the demise of the famous Igbo Union of the 50s and 60s. They were saying that If Igbo Union was still in existence, the plight of Igbo in Nigerian would have been better.  I interjected by reminding them that some Anioma people say we are not Igbo to which they all responded in unison by saying "then what are we?" One of them coincidentally from Ika said anybody that says that publicly is "ignorant."  I agree with him on this into-to.

You guys should let Agbontaen be because another common trait of those people that loath being Igbo is that they crave attention.  Do not give it to them. I always remind those Anioma Igbo that loath being Igbo that the modern day Bini massacre occurred in 1967 with the blood of Anioma people flowing like river on the streets of Benin City. The only Anioma crime then was that they were Igbo and it was open season on Igbo people -the pogrom against Igbo was every where in Nigeria. I wonder how Agbontean would convince the Bini that he is one of them and not Igbo were he to face the vicious Bini guillotine.

Going back to our Igbo tent of brotherhood would ensure that  we will all hold hands with our brothers accross the Niger and say never again! Like the jews did after the holocaust, never again shall the Igbo be massacred on a large scale without retributions. Ise!

GBAM, GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM GBAM!!!!!!!! Nwoke biko tell them ooo!!!

I've said this mutiple times and yet very few pay attention to this fact. Sometimes I wonder don't they notice how almost every delta igbo on NL ignores agbotean except for other ika's he claim to be and even they are starting to ignore him.

Everyone in anioma is aware that the non-deniers seek attention desperately, people usually ignore them back home and since we ignore them, you can deduct they sought online for those attention they seek fully knowing SE Igbo will give it to them. That is one of the main reason 95% of the time, they are always on a thread about Igbo or writing articles about Igbo or on Igbo site. I've told them this so many times, just ignore the non-deniers, they are doing so in an effort to get attention. Pay very little attention to them and focus on those that are non-deniers. This is how we deal with them in Anioma, I'm not sure about rivers but for anioma is this how we deal them and I hope one day SE Igbo realizes this fact.

BIKO TELL THEM!!!!!.

It irritate me that they are 1 out 500,000 some would even say 1 out of a million yet some people use those 1 to judge an entire community. I recently meet a guy online in another forum claiming to be an Asaba man, he shouted how Asaba are bini, not igbo, blah, blah bullsh1t. I had a private conversation with him and end up realizing the guy wasn't even from asaba as he claimed, I'm even doubtful if he's ever steeped foot on Asaba. I mean the guy has no clue where in Asaba he's from literally. I gave him a little bit of information drilling about asaba and he failed woefully on it. But it annoyed me how almost every person on there that wasn't Igbo kept narrating his words. It irritated the f2k out of me. Not only is he spreading falsehood online, those people on those site and few of the igbo on those site were judging people of Asaba over that one f2king man.

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OneNaira6: 7:07am On Jun 16, 2012
ezeagu:

I'm more convinced that (a good amount of) the Anioma branched off the Igbo surrounding the Imo.

You serious bro? undecided
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by aljharem(m): 6:17pm On Jun 16, 2012
really anyone that thinks Agbotean is Alj harem must be the dumbest person on earth.

@ Agbotean, thank God for you. You have open the eyes of millions of ignorant Nigerians to the truth. All this lairs and propagandist must stop.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by aljharem(m): 6:18pm On Jun 16, 2012
Mods why do you keep hiding my post ? Igbo mod for Igbo lying propaganda. Rubbish
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Abagworo(m): 8:36pm On Jun 16, 2012
alj harem: Mods why do you keep hiding my post ? Igbo mod for Igbo lying propaganda. Rubbish

You sound kinda frustrated. WTF!

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OneNaira6: 10:38pm On Jun 16, 2012
Abagworo:

You sound kinda frustrated. WTF!

Are you surprise? Alj_harem is a psychologically textbook example of a pathological liar. When caught in their lies, they usually lash out like newborn that was forcefully woke up from an early nap. There are also behaviors from them that he exhibits every day, along with other sh1t that dude needs to get help in but that is another story for another time. It is not surprising at all. He’s lashing out because people continue to see through him every day, he’s miserable multiple ids continue to be discovered everyday and the fact the moderator’s are not letting him do as he wishes all this is nipping at him.. To me, it is a sad life that man lives and I pity him. Honest to God, I pity that man’s life.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Abagworo(m): 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2012
Agbotaen is not alj_harem. agbotaen's name is Solomon Mgbejume and he is from Owa in Delta State. Even his facebook page and Ikaworld site is full of personal assumptions. He even opened a facebook page for Obi Efeizomor the traditional ruler of Owah. He has been rebuked severally by older Ikas but he keeps bringing shame to his family.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by OneNaira6: 12:17am On Jun 17, 2012
Abagworo: Agbotaen is not alj_harem. agbotaen's name is Solomon Mgbejume and he is from Owa in Delta State. Even his facebook page and Ikaworld site is full of personal assumptions. He even opened a facebook page for Obi Efeizomor the traditional ruler of Owah. He has been rebuked severally by older Ikas but he keeps bringing shame to his family.

Alright if you say so. I'm going to go read solomon mgbejume facebbok and see what you are talking about. As for the part I highlighted, it is a shame he continues to speak for others. With my experience with jim ovia, I smh at what agbotean is doing. That is just coming online to destroy another man's image and he having no strength to fight back.

1 Like

Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by bright007(f): 12:19pm On Jun 18, 2012
omonuan: Back to similarities:

Ededemede-Bini  Ededeliede sometimes Adedeliede-Anioma meaning long long time ago!
Wrong!!!
Ťĥĕ edo word is 'ededemwede' and it means 'never å time'
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 3:28am On Jun 19, 2012
Abagworo: Agbotaen is not alj_harem. agbotaen's name is Solomon Mgbejume and he is from Owa in Delta State. Even his facebook page and Ikaworld site is full of personal assumptions. He even opened a facebook page for Obi Efeizomor the traditional ruler of Owah. He has been rebuked severally by older Ikas but he keeps bringing shame to his family.

Seems like he has dropped the more Benin sounding name Omojie for Igbo name Mgbejume.
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Obiagu1(m): 3:35am On Jun 19, 2012
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by Sattors(m): 6:32pm On Jun 21, 2012
chyz: Oma---good in Igbo

Oma---good in Bini

Ndo---sorry in Igbo

do---sorry in Bini
Onu--- mouth in Igbo
Unu--- mouth in Edo
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by ROYALD(m): 5:18pm On Jan 09, 2014
Yes there are Igbo people in Bini like IGANKE IN PRESNT DAY Edo state so is not by surprise that some one from that area can bear OSAKWE IT IS TYIPICAL IGBO NAME NOT BIBNI
READ MORE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbanke
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by macof(m): 11:52pm On Jun 29, 2014
chyz: Eze Chima was not Bini. Hence, "Eze"=King, "Chima"= "God Knows". There is no Bini name that is Chima or Eze. It was proven that Eze Chima was Aro man who was a big trader in that area along the River Niger. I'm even starting question the name because I don't think Igbos were christians at his time so names like Chi-,Chukwu- were not used as such. Names like Taagbo and Dikeanyi and other strong names were used. It would have made more sense to me if his name was "Ndichima"= "The gods know". Just my thoughts.

Oh my God...u don't even know your history.
Who told u chi/chukwu has anything to do with christianity?
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by SUNNYsparkle: 8:19am On Jul 08, 2016
ezeagu:

Sorry, are we missing something here. Are we aware of the Umu Eze Chima group that left Benin and the fact that several Igbo towns have ancestors that are from Benin. I don't believe that the Edo people were not mixed with Igbo somehow or that the city of Benin did not have immigrants yet the kingdom once stretched over both Igbo and Yoruba land and beyond. The culture is what tpia was talking about, and the Benin Empire was more aligned to the ways and culture of the Yoruba and they have a lot of cultural similarities which isn't as strong between Edo and Igbo.
What made them to leave Benin? Please teach us more
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by SUNNYsparkle: 8:44am On Jul 08, 2016
agbotaen:
when did nduka and ovia tell you they were igbos ? why do you people delude your self on the internet? nduka obaigbena was interviewed by new york time he told them he was ika and are all these people members of ohaneze ndigbo? the answer is no.
they are simply ika people , jim ovia is one of the richest nigerian business man and he completely identifies with ika ,he is from agbor kingdom and no proper agbor man will say he is an igbo while obaigbena is from owa .
the only people you will see as ika parading themselves as igbos are those from igbodo and other small ika villages near the eastern flank of ika.
as for language ika has many dialects spoken by the different ika people ,the language has similarities with igbo, bini and even yoruba interms of the fact that their are some ika words that are choosen from this languages.
eghani iri - how are you , that is how owa people often greet .
answer will be owunma or ohonma
kiro - what is it ,
irehun re meme m---------------------- i am feeling sickly ,
m si ko da kpanmi okenyen ni , hun o gi chuni m uya , ogen ebi ufere gi heri ekwue m--------------- i will thank this man who assisted me when the wind destroyed my door.
ihien hain n gi jen ejijei wu ni acho nim ni m bie------------------the reason i went early was that i dont want to be late .
wata ni azun zi ile uzun isere ni ukpokpo yi i re ye enyin ehikogbe----------- this child stop making noise, the disturbance you are giving this environment is too much.

chukuka , nedi i ya lala kikeni , dodo jen men de dede e ------------------chukuka your father is coming please do and embrace him.
dodo wehe ni m , ayiya ni ri oke agara ni i ---------------please bring the comb on the chair.
ulakpa ni lala ni jen kor de kwondon okenyen i ra dun ihian ile ikpa, obihiar kor e------------this police man coming will arrest the man that is punching/striking every one and he would not let him go .
a ghogho kem oooo, ogen gi hun obi ke o duhe uje----------------------------------i became so happy when i saw the king dancing
etita ara yime ewuru ofefe-------------------- a dirty person does not wear clean white cloths.

ika language is a language to be studied , the problem is that many of the things that goes for ika language today even by ika people is highly adultrated and that is why we need to write and learn from our older people and preserve it . many ika people often change ika words and replace them with non ika words and after a time it become a part of the language.

i am presently writing a book on 500 proper ika names .
1. a chair in owa is agah or agarah,but you find some saying oche.
2. hapiness is ighogho ,but some a saying anwinli .
3. oke means up or mountain,some now use elu.
4. ulakpa is police , but some are calling ewuru ogi
5. needle is oloden ,some are saying ntutu
6. nail is ise ,some are saying ntu
7. door is ekwue ,some are saying uzor.
8. ehi is guardian spirit ,some are saying chi
9. edionma was original owa word for elder ,but now many say diokpa.
10. isere is outside ,now some say ihun ezi
11. ukpokpo is trouble , now some say nsogbu.
12. to discurse is inyenren ,
but luckily we have many people who are writing to halt this trend.
even some of the names ika people bear today are wrong as they have no bearing on our culture and tradition and even language. like an ika person bearing chinedu or chioma or anwunli especially if the person is from agbor, owa, abavo, idumesah and others ,but i cant say that of the eastern communities of ika .

A failed attempt in rewriting Ika dialect to Benin. Okay now, you'll need to force Ika people to drop their dialect for all those trash you wrote. How did Okonta, Okowa, Emeka, Okechukwu, Ikechukwu, Ngozi, Ifeanyi, Osita etc form over 90% of names of people in Ika North, South and Agbor precisely. How on earth did certain communities in Agbor clan started having Ali (land) as prefixes in their names? Ekuku Agbor, Azuowa, Igbogili, Ekwuoma, Ekweze, Umuhu, Amahia, Aliagwa, Alifekede, Alisor, Ozarra, Idumuogbe, Alihagu, Agbornta, Agbor Aliokpu, Ewuru, Idumuoza, Agbor Alidinma, Ogbe Obi etc. Ika people especially Agbor clan resisted all forms of control and assimilation by Benin including fighting wars with Benin and giving them a very tough time. Few Benin people that escaped one thing or the other found their way not only into agbor but also warri, Urhobo, Aniocha, Ekiti, Akure, Ijebu, Ondo, Eastern Yoruba, Lagos, Riverine Igbo, even up to Enugu, Ihiala, IMO state etc. In the Nsukka areas some people there answer Ossai and other Benin names. These are migrations, and it doesn't make them Edo people. Presently Igbanke (Igbo akiri) and some other Ika speakers in Edo like Ekpon and so on are being unfairly treated and assimilated. They should be given a Local council of their own, if not they should be transferred to both Ika North east and South
Re: Similarity Between Bini And Igbo by osazuwa23: 10:49pm On May 25, 2020
i no this thresd is old but i notice some similarities like interms of names igbo say emeka bini say eweka. also amen is similar we both say ese
AndreUweh:
Ogbe--quarters in Igbo.
Ogbe--quarters in Bini.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beauty Of Igbo Women / Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / Ooni Of Ife Storms Rivers 4 Traditional Rulers Day Of Golden Jubilee Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.