Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,020 members, 7,803,422 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car (20114 Views)

Should I Buy Seal For My Car's AC Compressor Or Buy Another Compressor? / How To Inspect A Used Car Before Buying / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by BounceNigeria: 11:19pm On Oct 04, 2017
This beautiful automobile has just been recovered from armed robbers. It used to be another colour with a different number plate in the hands of its owner.

How it turned black overnight gives us cause to worry.

There are loopholes in the process of registering vehicles in Nigeria and for citizens, perhaps it is time to make the government initiate reforms in that area.

In an economy where people can no longer buy imported used cars, let alone brand-new cars, the common thing is what is called Naija used.

However, this loophole puts many innocent people at risk of buying stolen cars while it simultaneously empowers armed robbers to easily execute the business of selling stolen vehicles.

Armed robbers attacked the home of Okediran Oluseyi on September 5 in Lagos and went away with a Toyota Camry and other valuables.

Through the intervention of the Lagos state police command, the classy automobile was recovered in distant Onitsha in Anambra state along with some of the other items stolen from Oluseyi.

What amazed this man was arriving at the Police headquarters and being unable to identify the car that was said to have been recovered.

#WelcomeToLagos: How To Renew Your Drivers’ License In Lagos

It had been totally transformed and set to be sold to a new owner. They could have easily sold it as a freshly imported car.

“The number on it was FST 124 and they succeeded in changing the plate number and repainting the car,” he told Bounce News, still amazed at how easy it is in Nigeria to register a stolen vehicle.

He recalled that the robbers were not even bothered about the possibility of the car having a security device or tracker, an indication of how less important those features are to them.

“The government should try as much as possible to look into the activities of all these car dealers because they are the ones encouraging them in this act.

“Somebody must have given them an order of a Toyota brand. For them to have gone far to make a new registration number and repaint the car, their associates should also be arrested.

“There should be a monitoring system in the process of vehicle registration in this country. How can a car that has been registered be so easily re-registered by a government agency? It is crazy,” he said

Source: http://news.bounce.ng/Content/bouncefeature-read-this-before-you-buy-another-used-car-20171003

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Babysnow1: 11:48pm On Oct 04, 2017
TRUE TALK OP. ONCE I GET MY CAR, NA TO BUY TRACKER PUT INSIDE. I NO FIT SHOUT COS BOYS EYES DEY RED NOW.

7 Likes

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Drniyi4u(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
Nice one OP, the same thing goes for used phones and laptops

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by LEOSIRSIR(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
hummm
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by awa(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
Only God would protect and save us in this nation Nigeria. Things have fallen apart
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Oluwaseyi00(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
Have decided not to buy anything used again, whatsoever it may be...since I bought fake infinix note 2.

Twaz painful angry

5 Likes

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Kurisigamo(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
I no get money for any of them. Give me anyone I go collect embarassed
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by victorazyvictor(m): 10:29am On Oct 05, 2017
50% cars use in Nigeria may be stolen cars.
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Sleyanya1(m): 10:30am On Oct 05, 2017
[b][/b]
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by emmyw(m): 10:30am On Oct 05, 2017
ok

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Feranchek(m): 10:30am On Oct 05, 2017
Jah epp man inna me kontri! Dem Bomboklats demma no see me car in jah name!!
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by midehi2(f): 10:30am On Oct 05, 2017
Noted
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by kagari: 10:30am On Oct 05, 2017
Oboy the muscle is now born again
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Franco2017(m): 10:31am On Oct 05, 2017
But it's cheaper
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by emmyw(m): 10:31am On Oct 05, 2017
It's Well

2 Likes

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Greatmind23: 10:31am On Oct 05, 2017
only buy used car from your pastor and not after you both use Ogun lakaye to swear
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by NENigeria(m): 10:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Noted
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by aademola11: 10:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Honestly i don't understand why things are not working in nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by wildcatter23(m): 10:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by macaranta(m): 10:32am On Oct 05, 2017
Thank God for the recovery

1 Like

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by davodyguy: 10:33am On Oct 05, 2017
the system in Nigeria is so so terrible

You do BVN and same process is repeated when you want to register your sim card. You repeat same process for Driver's license.

That is to tell you, there is no proper identity management in Nigeria, reason why people escape Judgement

4 Likes

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by fk001(m): 10:35am On Oct 05, 2017
All this explanation is unnecessary, how did they track the car?

This means our security system is very much alive.

1 Like

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by dake40(m): 10:40am On Oct 05, 2017
fk001:
All this explanation is unnecessary, how did they track the car?

This means our security system is very much alive.
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Primenet(m): 10:42am On Oct 05, 2017
Thank God. It was recovered.

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 05, 2017
Govt is saddled with so much problems, we have to secure our vehicles. Install trackers and kill switches, buy vehicle brands that arent popular.
Most of the stolen cars in lagos end up in aba and onitsha, buying used cars in these locations as well as neigboring states is a fatal mistake.
Level of criminality there is astronomical.

1 Like

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by eagleonearth(m): 10:50am On Oct 05, 2017
Not all cars are stolen.demand for the complete papers before payment simple.
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by KOKOHANDS: 10:58am On Oct 05, 2017
great piece. I think I'll have to look better next time...
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by chiddyj: 11:09am On Oct 05, 2017
quentin06:
Govt is saddled with so much problems, we have to secure our vehicles. Install trackers and kill switches, buy vehicle brands that arent popular.
Most of the stolen cars in lagos end up in aba and onitsha, buying used cars in these locations as well as neigboring states is a fatal mistake.
Level of criminality there is astronomical.
who in his right mind, as a criminal, will sell his loot in the same state?! alot of vehicles dat come into lagos from other states sold as naija used could be stolen too! a friend lost his car in Owerri and d car was located in Benin all clean and ready for sale! so dont come and push criminality to these cities as this is a typical naija problem
all in all, buyers beware! the country no get central data base of stolen cars that's why dis continues to b a problem

2 Likes

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by itoldu: 11:10am On Oct 05, 2017
wow!! shocked shocked shocked shocked
This is really crazy though.
“The number on it was FST 124 and they succeeded...
Please complete the number above and let me be a bit jobless and investigate, to an extent, the truth of this story.
Also, what was the initial color?
There are some dots i'm connecting that might help the govt. (LASG)

NB: I'd include my findings here on your response to my question.

1 Like

Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by yanshDoctor: 11:42am On Oct 05, 2017
80% of flashy cars that are Nigeria used are stolen. only buy Nigerian used from the owner and not from car dealer.
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by Gudfrie(m): 11:47am On Oct 05, 2017
eagleonearth:
Not all cars are stolen.demand for the complete papers before payment simple.
Re: Read This Before You Buy Another Used Car by chinjo(m): 12:43pm On Oct 05, 2017
This only happen when car owners prefer to patronize touts when registering a vehicle. Every genuine registered vehicle can not be re-registered except their is evidence of purchase and valid police clearance certificate. In the process of registering a vehicle, as soon as you imputes the chassis number into the computer, the name of the previous owner appears with all his details including his phone number. A call is then placed to that phone number to confirm if the car was sold or stollen before proceeding with the registration process. A lot of cars have been recovered in this process. That is why those that have clean cars with old number plates should try and get the new number plate because no data is available on the FRSC website for old number plates. All are encouraged to visit the FRSC NVIS desk officer at the state board of internal revenue of each state for the registration of their vehicles.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nissan And Stallion Nigeria Sign Assembly Deal / Turkmenistan President Bans All Black Cars From Country’s Capital / What Does It Mean To Have “mansory” Attached To The Name Of A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.