Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,446 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 PM

39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation (5060 Views)

I See Membership Of Alumni Whatsapp Groups As WASTE Of Time: Am I Wrong? / Trade Subjects Saga / Admission: Beware As The Following Courses Become Irrelevant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by Kakaakinews: 6:07am On Oct 05, 2017
Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education (AOCOED) Alumni Association has challenged the Federal Government to review the nation’s education curriculum. This, according to them, should be done in the spirit of the nation’s 57th independence anniversary.

Of particular concern to the association, is the inclusion of 39 trade subjects in the secondary school curriculum, which they said, are irrelevant, adding that the review be done by a more representative set of stakeholders.

The association’s President, Prince Shina Akintolure, said in a statement by the association’s public relations officer, Eniola Opeyemi, that: “There is the need for practical involvement in the design, planning and implementation of our curriculum. An instance is the newly introduced 39 trade subjects, which to us, has no relevance, and as such, has no place in our curriculum and day to day life.

“If our aims to be a force in the commity of black nations and the world at large must be accomplished, we must consider a restructuring in our curriculum to affect the teacher education. We are also craving more funds for education according to UNESCO, 27 per cent budgetary allocation for developing countries.

“We can’t get it right until we call for a new curriculum that will not be developed by few persons, but all concerned across basic up to secondary and tertiary levels. Government must also walk its talk with respect to improved teachers welfare as well as purging the system of quacks.”

Akintolure said the review should be tailored towards skills acquisition, lamenting Nigeria’s inability to consolidate on its population to bring about an explosion in skill acquisition, particularly among the youths.

Akintolure said education in Nigeria calls for more concern as the system can no longer address the socio-economic and political hiccups in the country.

He said: “At 57, the education system in our country needs immediate attention. To this end, we are calling on authorities across all facets to declare a state of emergency in the sector. Our huge population should be an added advantage that will relinquish the dependent factors and turn other nations to look up to us for large scale productions via aggressive entrepreneurship drive, especially within the youth.”

The group also noted that at different times, varying foreign education policies have been introduced, which yielded little or no result, underscoring the need for an indigenous model.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/39-trade-subjects-irrelevant-says-alumni-group/amp/

1 Like

Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by AloyalNigerian(m): 6:17am On Oct 05, 2017
Duly noted.
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by Niyeal(m): 6:36am On Oct 05, 2017
I support the motion
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by osumak2: 7:14am On Oct 05, 2017
tongue

Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by Pabloosas(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2017
Ok
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by jerrybakermillz(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2017
Kk...Nigeria is a promised land and Africa is a great continent,we are matching forward to show our best,bla bla bla blast

Our educational system is a scam and lack visionary policy,no wonder secondary school students wey carry book for bag go school, na bet9ja booking code dem dey write full am
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by maxiuc(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2017
:DFYI
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by fk001(m): 7:16am On Oct 05, 2017
I concur, Nigerian education need rehabilitation there is no new invention, no enough practicals, no field work just nothing nothing except one bulky dirty brown handout given to the lecturers by their predecessors and it is what the lecturers will be using for donkey years.

They should either restructure the education system or better to have few courses that you will get more practical exposure.

That's why i always respect private universities and I don't fault them when they hike their fees.

BTW some courses are useless, i don't want to list them here.

1 Like

Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by dalass(f): 7:28am On Oct 05, 2017
They know what they should do... Most in power have their kids abroad to study.. So do they care about our education? No!
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by Estiara(f): 7:54am On Oct 05, 2017
fk001:
I concur, Nigerian education need rehabilitation there is no new invention, no enough practicals, no field work just nothing nothing except one bulky dirty brown handout given to the lecturers by their predecessors and it is what the lecturers will be using for donkey years.

They should either restructure the education system or better to have few courses that you will get more practical exposure.

That's why i always respect private universities and I don't fault them when they hike their fees.

BTW some courses are useless, i don't want to list them here.

I do agree with you; there is an urgent need for curriculum restructuring in our educational system. However, I don't think some courses should be tagged useless. Perhaps we could say they have no market value or practical field in Nigeria (no avenue to practice) .
Re: 39 Trade Subjects Irrelevant, Says Alumni Group - The Nation by fk001(m): 8:06am On Oct 05, 2017
Estiara:

I do agree with you; there is an urgent need for curriculum restructuring in our educational system. However, I don't think some courses should be tagged useless. Perhaps we could say they have no market value or practical field in Nigeria (no avenue to practice) .

Yea you are quite right.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With This Maternity Photoshoot? / Unilorin Political Science Exam Question That Got Students Sweating / "I Lost A Job Because Of My Tattoos" (real Life Experiences)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.