Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will (33557 Views)

Throwback Photos Of IVD And His Late Wife Bimbo When They Were Young Lovers / One Of My Sons Looks Exactly Like My Late Father / Man Fights Wife For Not Using Vibrator After He Traveled Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by juman(m): 12:26am On Oct 06, 2017
ssogundele:
God bless the Afonjas for the inclusion of female child in inheritance sharing. What they saw as equity a thousand years ago is what the ibos are waking up to. For real the Afonjas are really ahead!

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 12:30am On Oct 06, 2017
woodmood:

No need to bet. All I want from you is to emphasize that in benin it is like that and not the whole of Yoruba race.
The argument about which of the tribes is a sub-sect of the other will not only derail this topic but will not end today.

folks view Efik the same as Ibibio... the error was on my part thinking that Since the west is the west... I stand corrected
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 06, 2017
Very useless idiot. I cannever respect a parasite and moocher that INHERITED his money.

The fool is not even ashamed. Should he even be demanding for handouts, let alone desire to have it all to himself? What ignominy!

I would know I have failed in my duty as a parent, and failed woefully to raise a fine, quality citizen worthy of the name, when my son fights over inheritance. Nothing can be more ridiculous and disgraceful.

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by BabaRamota1980: 12:54am On Oct 06, 2017
I thought Ibos have resolved this issue. The culture does not include female children in inheritance in Iboland. A court recently ruled against the culture and mandates inclusion of females in their father's inheritance.

Why is there dispute now?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by armyofone(m): 1:54am On Oct 06, 2017
Such shame, fighting your siblings for something you didn't work for...
Smh

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by God2man(m): 2:43am On Oct 06, 2017
Agbo'ju logun fi ara fun osi ta
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bkool7(m): 3:06am On Oct 06, 2017
cococandy:
Most traditional practices are misogynistic and disgusting.

Yes we have this in Igbo land and more even.
In Yoruba land there are also very disgusting practices against women and well as in Hausa land. Feminism should be embraced in all corners of Nigeria and we will stop hearing stupid shyt like this.
You guys are making it a thing of tribes while forgetting the most important culprits in all of this.

Unbridled patriarchy. Toxic masculinity

Please be specific and highlight the disgusting practices against women in Yoruba culture.

Because i have read of some great Yoruba women that subdued men. Some were even crowned queens
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 3:46am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:
Show him the supreme court judgement. If he wants to live in 1645, he is free to build a time machine and go back in time else he should go work for his own wealth.
...if it is in the will then so b it....but if he dies without a will, then let the igbo tradition take place..where is the supreme court judgement against child marage in the north...they ignored it nd called it pineal code...where is the supreme court judgement against Killing of innocent people against freedom of speech in the north..people are barbaric ally kill claiming blasphemy in diz modern era...instead dey hide under sharia law and ignore it....if the igbos can liv with peace with themselves for decades with thier traditional laws..then the stupid supreme court should leave them alone and don't try to disrupt a well accepted culture of a people
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by bigpicture001: 4:00am On Oct 06, 2017
it is very easy to criticise on nairaland...the whole of the igbos should rise with ceaseless pprotest against the supreme court judgement for disruption of thier culture...no igbo family chase away dia daughter when sh is not married..they still haws her and care for her..wot they are against is women's double inheritance from both side of thier world...thier eventual husband and thier father..if this is discontinued...a lot of men would go straight to extreme poverty...take for instance...a father dies...and the married daughter who is a joint inheritance with here brothers refusing to section the sale of thier dad's commercial property because sh is also a beneficiary even in d fave of acute poverty in her father's haws..her reason is because sh hopes to pass down inheritance to her children..sh is not poor cuz sh married a wealthy husband and so doesn't feel d poverty thereby..tying down her brothers in poverty..how do u see that..you ppl of Mr and Mrs equal ryt....leave the people alone to manage thier tradition Av seen a lot of brothers who gained financial stability from dead father's estates...these should only b bycuted wen d father himself makes a will and then include the female child
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by morbeta(m): 4:35am On Oct 06, 2017
veekid:
Check that Emmy guy well; he is hopeless, jobless, worthless, useless Anythingless

And habitually lazy grin grin
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by kabaka1: 4:55am On Oct 06, 2017
braimeddy:
The man must still be living in the past. Now parents consider their female children in thier will. So the man should just accept their father's will cos nothing can be done about it.

No mind that Bushman. he should go back to d 19th century where he belongs
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 06, 2017
[quote author=Yarnvibes post=61121632]​A Nigerian man has left many people in shock after refusing to obey his late father's instruction on how to share his properties because he included his female children as beneficiaries.

The late Gabriel Okwukogwu may not be resting in peace in his grave after all, as he was said to have attracted the anger of his first son, simply known as Emmy for sharing his properties among his seven children including the four women in Anambra State.

It was gathered that an infuriated Emmy reportedly went to his father's grave to tell him that he will not comply with the will he prepared when he was alive. The family is from Orlu in Imo State but stays at G.M.O Road in Ogbaru area of Onitsha metropolitan city in Anambra.

It was gathered that Emmy who resides in Lagos returned after the death and burial of his late father. After the burial the late father's lawyer called the members of the family, presented their late father's will and read it to the children for implementation. However, trouble was said to have started after the counsel got through reading the will and Emmy discovered that their late father shared his properties to his children including the women among them. It was gathered that the late Okwukogu had properties both in Onitsha and Owerri which he shared equally among the children not minding the gender status.

It was gathered that when the lawyer finished reading the will to the children, Emmy got angry and declared that the will did not come from their father because he really understood the culture and tradition as observed in Igbo land.

It was gathered that the culture did not recognise women because it was expected that they will get married to their husbands and therefore were not entitled to inherit any property from their family. Thus Emmy insisted that the culture and tradition will be applied in the sharing of the properties.

An infuriated Emmy reportedly left the meeting and headed to their family house in Orlu, went to his father's grave and protested; that he will not comply with his purported will because he did not comply with the laid down customs and tradition in the land.

It was gathered that Emmy's decision to reject the will was causing serious problem in the family as the women in question threatened to fight for their rights as contained in the will rejected by their eldest brother.

When P.M.EXPRESS spoke to some Igbo leaders concerning the incident, some spoke against the sharing and declared that Emmy was right because women werr not entitled to inherit family properties according to tradition. Others said that it was the old practice and the properties in question were not family houses which the women will never inherit according to tradition.

It was however not certain how the matter will be resolved because the will was regarded as a valid document that must be complied with despite any perceived defects.

http://fabinfos.com/nigerian-man-fights-late-father-grave-including-female-children-will/

Lalasticlala Ishilove Mynd44 Seun Dominique [/quotecases of mojekwu v mojekwu and nzekwu v nzekwu proves d mans ignorance.#proudLawyer]
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 5:18am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
...if it is in the will then so b it....but if he dies without a will, then let the igbo tradition take place..where is the supreme court judgement against child marage in the north...they ignored it nd called it pineal code...where is the supreme court judgement against Killing of innocent people against freedom of speech in the north..people are barbaric ally kill claiming blasphemy in diz modern era...instead dey hide under sharia law and ignore it....if the igbos can liv with peace with themselves for decades with thier traditional laws..then the stupid supreme court should leave them alone and don't try to disrupt a well accepted culture of a people
u are wrong. For any custom to b valid it must pass 3 tests which are:1,The Repugnancy test, 2, The incompatibility test and 3,the good policy test. Dis particular case or scenario fails to pass any of d 3 tests. And the cases of Mojekwu v Mojekwu and Nzekwu v Nzekwu have recently affirmed that women Can now inherit.

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 5:20am On Oct 06, 2017
Itsachair:
u are wrong. For any custom to b valid it must pass 3 tests which are:1,The Repugnancy test, 2, The incompatibility test and 3,the good policy test. Dis particular case or scenario fails to pass any of d 3 tests. And the cases of Mojekwu v Mojekwu and Nzekwu v Nzekwu have recently affirmed that women Can now inherit and the custom violates the provision in Section 42 of the Constitution.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Mynd44: 5:23am On Oct 06, 2017
bigpicture001:
The judgment by the supreme court was given for Interstate cases meaning that even if the man died without a will, his daughter is and must be part of the inheritors.

So if there is a will, follow the will. If there is not will, follow the supremem court. Your culture and traditions is not bigger than the supreme court

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Nobody: 5:41am On Oct 06, 2017
We are talking about who is qualified to inherit based on gender you are talking about who is from such home, ode. You are not entitled, or have not heard of being cut out of a will or people deciding to give their wealth to charity?, you need to broaden your scope .if you like be sleeping for life, who the fvck cares?, next time take your entitled self off my mention.
TimeMod1:
Tell anyone asking that I'm working for my life. Nevertheless, I'm entitled to my father's wealth as my children to mine. You may not understand only if you're from such a home. wish you were but..
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by moonnstar(f): 5:43am On Oct 06, 2017
Mynd44:
Show him the supreme court judgement. If he wants to live in 1645, he is free to build a time machine and go back in time else he should go work for his own wealth.
God bless you
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by mfm04622: 5:48am On Oct 06, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:
depending on where it is, and what property that is being given out, the culture and tradition may take precedents ova d will
The Supreme Court has given final say. Or you think the culture has more power than the Supreme Court?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by positivetaught: 5:51am On Oct 06, 2017
Irrespective of whatever anyone may say,I'm totally in support of the first son's action,the culture,customs n tradition are very clear,a married woman should Inherits her husbands properties with her children not her father's, allowing married women to inherit their father's properties especially landed has lot of implications that shallow minds will not comprehend,even the whites still respect their traditions despite their civilization.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Treasuredvessel: 5:53am On Oct 06, 2017
All this people DT remember tradition wen it comes to inheritance but when there's a need in the family they make both male and female contribute for it why don't they leave d females out of d contribution.Ladies work hard and make ur own money let female dynasties rise I don't think anybody would stop u from giving wt u worked for to ur daughters.We keep saying She'll marry and her husband will take care of her so no need giving her anything, how many women still enjoy DT today,are the children she's going to HV not ur grandchildren? All d Ladies DT HV bn enjoying tru d inheritance u give ur sons is it wrong DT a guy enjoys from his wife too?Am Igbo and female by Gods grace I HV a land I bought with my money and intend to pass on to my daughter wen I HV one,except God thinks otherwise then a granddaughter will do.Because of wt I've seen and experienced I decided on it,my daughter will never be made to feel she's inferior because she'll get married someday.

2 Likes

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Treasuredvessel: 5:55am On Oct 06, 2017
What are d implications oga,that a man decided how to share his hard earned property amongst his children.How did u know d said sisters are married?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by LionDeLeo: 5:58am On Oct 06, 2017
tamethem:

grin honestly same with me. The moment I saw the healine I knew. I checked and was not disapointed.

Greed is in the gene grin

Same thing here bro.

If to say na another tribe, the thing for shock me well.

Na only dem.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by tobiasbeecher: 6:01am On Oct 06, 2017
Opakan2:

Attimes I try to picture what biafra would look like.. A country where women won't have say, where they'll be confined to kitchen and other room.

Yorubas have gone far ahead in terms of civilization. And Yoruba women don't carry feminist agenda on their heads like the biancas.

God help those people o.
You keep up making tribal and hate-filled comments everywhere, are you not tired of all these your rubbish...?
Yes agreed your Yoruba tribe is the best tribe in the world, can we now have peace?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by alizma: 6:07am On Oct 06, 2017
checkolatunji:

Nah i disagree cos here in west its equal right parent properties
so Nigeria is in North Africa abi?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 6:29am On Oct 06, 2017
mfm04622:

The Supreme Court has given final say. Or you think the culture has more power than the Supreme Court?

as regards the IGBO custom it was seen as discriminatory to the women and repugnant to natural justice.
but the culture of the Ijio-Ogbe being the exclusivity of the firstborn still holds sway in Benin to this day...
and a law has even been enacted to take away the courts power in that regard.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by nothernstar: 6:30am On Oct 06, 2017
Greedy fool. Maybe you killed your father believing to take all his properties but your father is more intelligent, civilised, and sharper than your dynasour brain.
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Call07034780891: 6:43am On Oct 06, 2017
The family is from Orlu in Imo State but stays at G.M.O Road in Ogbaru area of Onitsha metropolitan city in Anambra.

The best thing is for the Anambra State government to confiscate those properties built by their father in Onitsha and ask the family to return to Imo State their state of origin, afterwards it was in Anambra that their late father made all the money he used in developing those houses in the first place.

1 Like

Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by tobiasbeecher: 6:45am On Oct 06, 2017
LionDeLeo:

Same thing here bro.

If to say na another tribe, the thing for shock me well.

Na only dem.
Among all the comments here, this is the one that you chose to quote just because it suits your tribal bigotry and hatred! When will you grow above this?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by LionDeLeo: 6:47am On Oct 06, 2017
[s]
tobiasbeecher:

Among all the comments here, this is the one that you chose to quote just because it suits your tribal bigotry and hatred! When will you grow above this?
[/s]

Among all the comments here, it is mine you choose to quote because it doesn't favour you?

When will you grow above this?
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by Skmoda360(m): 6:51am On Oct 06, 2017
abike12:
a REAL man will go outside and work for his own money.....
yeah......its a normal thing......
Re: Man 'fights' His Late Father For Including His Female Children In His Will by tobiasbeecher: 6:56am On Oct 06, 2017
NtoAkwaIbom:

as regards the IGBO custom it was seen as discriminatory to the women and repugnant to natural justice.
but the culture of the Ijio-Ogbe being the exclusivity of the firstborn still holds sway in Benin to this day...
and a law has even been enacted to take away the courts power in that regard.
Why are you not cursing today? Have you forgotten this is an Igbo thread? For christ sake, this is an Igbo thread and you're not hating and showing bitterness to them? Really?
For your information, the Igbo customary law of land and property inheritance do not preclude women from partaking in the sharing of their father's acquired properties, let's say real estate and so on. What the law prohibits are women sharing in the customary or hereditary lands and properties. If a man from the dint of hard work acquires properties, he has the right to share it with his children (irrespective of gender) the way he deems fit, but he doesn't have the right to do the same if the said property is hereditary. I hope you now understand? Well, you continue with your Igbo hatred, I guess that is what makes you happy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Seeks Divorce, Over Wife’s Frigidity And Oversleeps / Woman Recreates Photo Of Her Mother Carrying Her Twins / My Girlfriend Wants To Travel Abroad Without Marrying Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.