Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? (28808 Views)

Has Lionel Messi Surpassed The Status Of Pele, Maradona Or Zidane? / Do You Think Messi Is Better Than Ronaldinho? / Between Maradona, Zidane And Ronaldinho, Who Is Best Playmaker Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 5:35pm On Mar 08, 2010
jalether:

Spot on, Zidane is overrated, some people will have you believe he is the greatest thing since slice bread.

Over the last 2 decade, 3 players really stood out for me- Ronaldo lima, Ronaldinho and Maldinni.
For Real shocked shocked shocked
I won't argue with your choice of Maldini and Ronaldo but Ronaldinho, surely not.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 5:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
chic2pimp:

For Real shocked shocked shocked
I won't argue with your choice of Maldini and Ronaldo but Ronaldinho, surely not.

You have only attacked my post without giving a substantial( if any reason at all) for your position in regards to Zidane vs ronaldinho

How is Zidane better than Ronnie
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 5:48pm On Mar 08, 2010
I am shocked. Beyond words.

Zidane overrated? Mo GBE!!!!

I am crying right now. The god of soccer "SUSU" overrated?

Only Ronaldo comes close. Look at it. Before Zidane there was no France(They didnt qualify for US 94), Zidane came on scene EURO 96 semi, France 98 winners, EURO 2000 winners, Japan Korea-Zidane Injured (2002) they couldnt score a goal, After Zidane, They came last in their groups. Zidane retired momentarily, They couldnt beat Faroe Island, Israel and co. Zidane came back they got to the world cup finals.

For someone who scored the best goal in the CL finals.

Tell me any player who has won local leagues, CL, World cup, Euro cup, Ballon D'or and multiple WPOTY and they call this guy overrated.

If this were to be in the days of Napoleon, Nothing sure for you pass Guillotine

8 Likes

Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by v3: 6:06pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Only Ronaldo comes close. Look at it. Before Zidane there was no France(They didnt qualify for US 94), Zidane came on scene EURO 96 semi, France 98 winners, EURO 2000 winners, Japan Korea-Zidane Injured (2002) they couldnt score a goal, After Zidane, They came last in their groups. Zidane retired momentarily, They couldnt beat Faroe Island, Israel and co. Zidane came back they got to the world cup finals.

Tell me any player who has won local leagues, CL, World cup, Euro cup, Ballon D'or and multiple WPOTY and they call this guy overrated.

If this were to be in the days of Napoleon, Nothing sure for you pass Guillotine

And here i am thinking i had a tattoo on my eyeball when i first saw Jayleathers post.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 6:12pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Yes, I said it, Zidane is overrated.  Mind you, that is not disputing his ability and achievement as a great player, but most people give him too much props

than he really deserves.

At France 86- the success of the team should be attributed to the team, it was a collective display from france with the likes of Desailly, Barthez (the torny's

best keeper), Thuram, Lizarazu, Deschamps, Henry et al, they were all amazing. same as euro 2000

some people dub Zidane as the god of footie, let's calm that sh1t down a notch, that's all I'm saying.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 6:14pm On Mar 08, 2010
jalether:

You have only attacked my post without giving a substantial( if any reason at all) for your position in regards to Zidane vs ronaldinho

How is Zidane better than Ronnie

Whilst Zidane/Ronaldo have consistently performed well for both Both Clubs and country Ronaldinho hasn't.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 6:15pm On Mar 08, 2010
v3:

And here i am thinking i needed glasses when i first saw Jayleathers post.

Do you know the meaning of being overrated , why are you guys making it sound like I just labelled him a dud, calm down guys

Being overrated doe not mean you are shit, it basically means you get more appraisal and recognition than you actually deserve
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 6:20pm On Mar 08, 2010
chic2pimp:

Whilst Zidane/Ronaldo have consistently performed well for both Both Clubs and country Ronaldinho hasn't.

Between 2002-2006 Ronnie was excellent for both club and country. he may have fallen off a bit, but he was exceptional at the peak of his career

I refuse to succumb to the Zidane hype. he is not better than Ronnie. period
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by ritchboy(m): 6:26pm On Mar 08, 2010
Jalether is spot on. Zidane is a wee bit over rated. In their prime, Ronaldo/Ronaldinho sh!t on him. . . And they both forgot wipe their a$$e$! grin
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 6:45pm On Mar 08, 2010
At France 86- the success of the team should be attributed to the team, it was a collective display from france with the likes of Desailly, Barthez (the torny's

best keeper), Thuram, Lizarazu, Deschamps, Henry et al, they were all amazing. same as euro 2000

some people dub Zidane as the god of footie, let's calm that sh1t down a notch, that's all I'm saying.

First of all, which one be France 86? Is that a paralympic event?

Simple question, When only Zidane was injured in 2002, why cant all these players score at least one goal vs Uruguay and Senegal?

Between 2002-2006 Ronnie was excellent for both club and country. he may have fallen off a bit, but he was exceptional at the peak of his career

What did Ronaldinho do for country between 2002 and 2006? 2002 World cup, I can easily mention 4 players better than Dinho in Brazil, 2006 world cup He was the major flop of the tournament
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 6:46pm On Mar 08, 2010
jalether:

Fair enough you see it as hype while I see it as substance.
A good example of a player that get's more hype than he deserves is Ibra not Zizou.

Also from the years 2002-2006, Dinho was excellent for Club but not country.

P:S I agree with you Ronaldinho's peak of 2002-2006 was better than what Zizou ever had however Zidane played in the much tougher league
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 6:49pm On Mar 08, 2010
I think you are just trying too hard to be controversial, Zizou deserves every mention he gets.

Exactly

Zidane is overrated?

Before Zidane there was no France, After Zidane there was No France.

1998 world cup, 2006 world cup final, 2000 Euro cup and he is overrated. I bet pele and Maradona too ar overrated in your books
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 6:54pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

First of all, which one be France 86? Is that a paralympic event?

Simple question, When only Zidane was injured in 2002, why cant all these players score at least one goal vs Uruguay and Senegal?

What did Ronaldinho do for country between 2002 and 2006? 2002 World cup, I can easily mention 4 players better than Dinho in Brazil, 2006 world cup He was the major flop of the tournament
GBAM!!!!
The same Ronaldinho that was consistently panned in the Brazilian media undecided
Ronaldo & Zidane are the stand out players of the last 30 years of football.

2 Likes

Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 7:01pm On Mar 08, 2010
mystikal:

I think you are just trying too hard to be controversial, Zizou deserves every mention he gets.

Dude are you high on some cheap paraga, if you want to contribute to the discussion, try and focus on the topic and not the poster

P.S- DO not respond to my post unless spoken to.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 7:02pm On Mar 08, 2010
chic2pimp:

Fair enough you see it as hype while I see it as substance.
A good example of a player that get's more hype than he deserves is Ibra not Zizou.

Also from the years 2002-2006, Dinho was excellent for Club but not country.

P:S I agree with you Ronaldinho's peak of 2002-2006 was better than what Zizou ever had however Zidane played in the much tougher league

Don't you find this a bit contradictory undecided
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 7:15pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Jalether,

Tell us about Dinhos brilliant performance for Brazil like you claimed between 2002 and 2006.

Ronaldinhos years were 2004-2006

Ronaldo, Rivaldo, [b]Ronnaldinho [/b]and Oliver Kahn were the top performers of 2002, how can anyone dispute he had a great torny at Korea/Japan
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2010
I take it you need a debate, something to discuss?

That's the only logical reason for disrespecting the sacred name of Zizou.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 7:21pm On Mar 08, 2010
BlueDiva:

I take it you need a debate, something to discuss?

That's the only logical reason for disrespecting the sacred name of Zizou.

How is referring to Zidane as overrated disrespectful, footie is all about facts and opinion, just like some people believe pele is overrated

and Yes I have heard that a lot. moreover I never said Zidane is sh1t, so what's the fuss about
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Mar 08, 2010
Ronaldinho was not in the top 3 performers of 2002 world cup and he was in the top 3 flops of 2006

2002 world cup players of the Tournament

1) Oliver Kahn
2) Ronaldo
3) Hyong yung Bo

4 and 5 would go to Rivaldo and Ballack so where is Dinho?
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 7:28pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Ronaldinho was not in the top 3 performers of 2002 world cup and he was in the top 3 flops of 2006

1) Oliver Kahn
2) Ronaldo
3) Hyong yung Bo

What makes your list any more credible than mine undecided, the list you provided is either your opinion or fifa's

Don't I have the right to form an opinion based on my individual assessment of the torny
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 7:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
No worry its your opinion. Just that its not supported by facts on ground. Dinho had a mediocre tournament in 2002

Had only one good game against England which he was even red carded in.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 7:45pm On Mar 08, 2010
jalether:

Don't you find this a bit contradictory undecided

How so? undecided
Ronaldinho had a better peak period but it was aided by the fact he played in a softer league.
Or do you want to compare La Liga's defences to their Serie A counterparts(especially in the 1990's/early 2000's)?

dayokanu:

1) Oliver Kahn
2) Ronaldo
3) Hyong yung Bo

I can straightaway tell this was the Fifa list undecided
Certainly Beg to differ on the top three players of the tournament.
Ronaldo,Rivaldo,Ballack and Khan were my top 4 players of the tournament.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by jalether(m): 8:08pm On Mar 08, 2010
chic2pimp:

How so? undecided
Ronaldinho had a better peak period but it was aided by the fact he played in a softer league.
Or do you want to compare La Liga's defences to their Serie A counterparts(especially in the 1990's/early 2000's)?

fair point, however Zidane played in  la liga as well and I dare say he had a better career (performance wise) at Juve

the fact that ronnie outperformed zidane in la liga, more significantly, in the galatico era when zidane was sorrounded by

other world class players, should tell you something.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 8:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
jalether:

fair point, however Zidane played in  la liga as well and I dare say he had a better career (performance wise) at Juve

the fact that ronnie outperformed zidane in la liga, more significantly, in the galatico era when zidane was sorrounded by

other world class players, should tell you something.
I'm in agreement with you in that Zidane's performance can sometimes be overstated(for example Ballack had the better game in the 2002 champs lge final) however that is not to say he is overerrated.

I think is unfair to compare and Contrast both their performances in La Liga considering Zidane was just about exiting his peak when Dinho was entering his.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by doyin13(m): 8:20pm On Mar 08, 2010
Zidane won this, Zidane won that. . . .

Brother could play no doubt.

But Ronaldinho obviously has more talent.

I no blind, and no matter the number of
accolades or stats. anyone brings. It is
clear to see, Ronaldinho is more talented
than Zidane.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by chic2pimp(m): 8:35pm On Mar 08, 2010
^^^^^^

'Who Is The More Talented Player' is different from 'Who Had The Better Career'.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by bgees(m): 8:41pm On Mar 08, 2010
Zidane is great too, but Ronaldinho in his prime was better.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 8:42pm On Mar 08, 2010
So because Zidane doesnt do snake bites and tancy flicks or do his hair in pony tail means Dinho is better.

I really tire.

@Jalether, I am still waiting for evidence of Ronaldinhos performance for country.

WHo cares about talent? Denilson and Robinho are probably more talented than most footballers alive

I no blind, and no matter the number of
accolades or stats. anyone brings. It is
clear to see, Ronaldinho is more talented
than Zidane.

Based on what?

I'm in agreement with you in that Zidane's performance can sometimes be overstated(for example Ballack had the better game in the 2002 champs lge final) however that is not to say he is overerrated.

What do you mean by a better performance. The game defining moment was provided by Zidane when Ballack was running all over.  Great players dont run around, they provide the touch of class needed at the crucial time
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 8:43pm On Mar 08, 2010
Ronaldinho is his prime was eye catching just like Okocha. Zidane was a better footballer.
Greater IQ and everything.

Zidane doesnt waste effort dribbing ppl when a simple pass would suffice. He wont snakebite when a straight shot is needed. He wont bicycle kick when a simple header was needed.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by bgees(m): 8:44pm On Mar 08, 2010
Ronaldinho was/is more talented. the guy sabi every technique perfectly. plus he still has it.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by dayokanu(m): 8:46pm On Mar 08, 2010
Ronaldinho was/is more talented. the guy sabi every technique perfectly. plus he still has it

Ronaldinho is his prime was eye catching just like Okocha. Zidane was a better footballer.
Greater IQ and everything.

Zidane doesnt waste effort dribbing ppl when a simple pass would suffice. He wont snakebite when a straight shot is needed. He wont bicycle kick when a simple header was needed.
Re: Is Zidane Overrated? Is He Better Than Ronaldinho? by bgees(m): 8:49pm On Mar 08, 2010
@dayokanu,

i can agree with that. Zidane was more direct and purposeful. but I still give it to Ronaldinho.

I think he belongs up there with Maradona.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chelsea Vs Tottenham Hotspur (2 - 1) On 22nd February 2020 / Gbenga Okunowo Features As Real Madrid Legends Beat Barcelona Legends 3-2. / Barcelona Vs PSG : UCL (2 - 0) On 21st April 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.