Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? (29297 Views)

Can I Still Graduate With A First Class With This My 100level Cgpa? / Identical Twins: Adegoke Taiye & Kehinde Graduate With First Class From UNIBADAN / Friends Who Study Together Graduate With First Class Together (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by olutee360: 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2017
Yes you can bro, just keep the hope alive double your reading hustles and pray too.
AloyalNigerian:
I'm presently on 4.25 after dropping from 4.57 to 4.28 and then to 4.25. I relented due to some issues. Because, I had several options before me so I started losing interest in my course.

Now, my question is, can I still make a first class degree having spent 3 semesters out of 10.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Ojugunrege(f): 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2017
LordeCalifornia:

If you don't mind, how was your daily study life like? (after the advice you received).
I want to know if I can apply same principles to my study life.

interestingly, my study time remained kind of same but i improved on the depth knowing my target was to get all As
i studied almost every day for about 2-3 hours...making sure I went through what was taught soon after it was. I studied for longer hours during exams/tests...but you will need to do what works for you..I remembered my friends used to wonder why I did TDB during exams when I had studied almost the whole semester round

then I studied more intently...actually trying to understand what each topic/concept was about...when I didn't, I quickly identified students who did and sought help...I never moved on until i understood the preceeding concept or topic...everything was important, i solved lots of problems, I was not a one-man squad, I read with people of like minds..sometimes some gurus compile solutions to past questions...I got those too & used..

I made sure I understood a particular lecturer's exam setting pattern..I submitted assignments/term papers on time...it passes the right message to lecturers...

I also got all the necessary textbooks (some I bought, some I photocopied), notes, handouts & past questions...very important

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 7:47pm On Oct 07, 2017
cstr1000:
Yes, you can . Get a 5.0
I did it, and you definitely can.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Realrex(m): 8:01pm On Oct 07, 2017
Evaberry:
AloyalNigerian I feel your pain dear. I was dealing with depression + other school activities so mine slipped from 4.6 to 4.4 this past session. and I had to study like mad the second sem so as to try to get it back to at least 4.5 but I wasn't lucky.

so now I have to study like crazy this new session and write two thesis. whenever I see the result I feel like a failure.
UNN right?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2017
Gerrard59:

Yes, it's possible. Ensure you make a 5.0 in at least two semesters (a session) whether chronologically or not. I have seen many cases of "on the dot" or slightly above the threshold. Yes, you can with determination and perseverance.
can we talk maths? I love maths
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Realrex(m): 8:03pm On Oct 07, 2017
As for me ain't a first class type but I ensure it's nothing less than 4.0... Who 5.0 epp grin
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 8:06pm On Oct 07, 2017
AntiWailer:

Yes u can..

All u need is a motivation.

U need to target 5.0 in at least 3 -4 semesters and nothing less than 4.6 in others.

5.0 is easy. Target 75 in all ur courses for that semester. Attend class and don't procrastinate.

PM me let us have a deal.

If u push your CGPA to 4.5 I will give u 50k.

And 20k every semester u are still in that 4.5 till u graduate.

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Nobleking2000(m): 8:12pm On Oct 07, 2017
AntiWailer:

Yes u can..

U need to target 5.0 in at least 3 -4 semesters and nothing less than 4.6 in others.

5.0 is easy. Target 75 in all ur courses for that semester. Attend class and don't procrastinate.

I am interested not for the monetary value attached to it but I need a source of motivation that will help me get a distinction in my academic pursuit. I am graduated with a cgpa of 2.84 during my OND days which I considered to be a failure so I am currently working towards graduating with nothing less than 3.75 in my HND as I am newly admitted.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ojugunrege:

yes, you can!
I will assume that the 4.25 is your current CGPA...I hope I'm correct. Mathematically; you need to get a minimum GPA of 4.61 every semester from now & boom you got your 1st class: (4.50×10 - 4.25×3)/7 = 4.6071= ca. 4.61.

now what does that mean in grades? it means more A's than B's.going forward target to get all A's with the occasional B's as slips. in that way, u are sure of your minimum GPA of 4.61 per semester...& watch your CGPA make that steady climb..
pay very particular attention to your high unit courses too...strive to get A in them.

BTW, I was in your shoes..I dropped from 4.53 to 4.39 to 4.17 & I really wanted a 1st class...
one of my lecturers who knew my academic precedence (graduated top of my class in secondary school with 8A + 1C; was top of my dept on the admission list to university) and there I was struggling...gave me the advice above & I took it to heart...it was a lot of hard work, tireless end-2-end reading/studying all the way, never left anything to chance, prayers..by God's grace it paid off..the upward climb each semester was really encouraging...I had a GPA of 5.0 twice...I eventually left with a CGPA of 4.51
more than a decade after. ..it still remained one of most cherished achievements...

go for it...all the best!
what course?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by DrIkB: 8:17pm On Oct 07, 2017
AloyalNigerian:
I'm presently on 4.25 after dropping from 4.57 to 4.28 and then to 4.25. I relented due to some issues. Because, I had several options before me so I started losing interest in my course.

Now, my question is, can I still make a first class degree having spent 3 semesters out of 10.
If you have IT in hand that can give you 5.0 it's still possible you get ur first class
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by DrIkB: 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2017
GideonG:
If you get A from IT and A from project, sure1 Goodluck
Exactly, it's very possible with it.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by godwinony(m): 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2017
akins56:
mine too was 2.6.
I'm at my finals and maintaining 3.72.
Kudos
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by OKANGPRECIOUS(m): 8:22pm On Oct 07, 2017
Are you guys saying with my 4.07 in year 2 and 4 semesters left i can't make 1st class?

Afraiding is catching me now.

I refuse to be discouraged.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Ojugunrege(f): 8:27pm On Oct 07, 2017
logadims:
what course?

Chemical Engineering
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 8:29pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ojugunrege:

Chemical Engineering
serious?? uni??
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Ojugunrege(f): 8:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
logadims:
serious?? uni??

Yes Sir... wink
Great Ife... Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 8:56pm On Oct 07, 2017
Genea:
Not only can u make it, its certified u would make it!!!
Thanks.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 8:59pm On Oct 07, 2017
AntiWailer:

Yes u can..

Thanks. My mail for this account isn't working anymore.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by logadims: 9:01pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ojugunrege:

Yes Sir... wink
Great Ife... Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife cheesy
I will like to be like you oo! can I get your email?
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:01pm On Oct 07, 2017
HomeTutor1:
Yes, it is very possible but you must sacrifice everything in your capacity for the nxt 7 semesters. I am a living testimony, I dropped from 4.71 GPA to 4.11GPA with a CGPA of 4.44 after two semesters on campus( 100 level), To the Glory of God I graduated with a CGPA of 4.64 at the end of the 8th semester (400 level).
Wow. Thanks.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ojugunrege:

yes, you can!

I will assume that the 4.25 is your current CGPA...I hope I'm correct. Mathematically; you need to get a minimum GPA of 4.61 every semester from now & boom you got your 1st class: (4.50×10 - 4.25×3)/7 = 4.6071= ca. 4.61.

now what does that mean in grades? it means more A's than B's.going forward target to get all A's with the occasional B's as slips. in that way, u are sure of your minimum GPA of 4.61 per semester...& watch your CGPA make that steady climb..
pay very particular attention to your high unit courses too...strive to get A in them.

BTW, I was in your shoes..I dropped from 4.53 to 4.39 to 4.17 & I really wanted a 1st class...
one of my lecturers who knew my academic precedence (graduated top of my class in secondary school with 8A + 1C; was top of my dept on the admission list to university) and there I was struggling...gave me the advice above & I took it to heart...it was a lot of hard work, tireless end-2-end reading/studying all the way, never left anything to chance, prayers..by God's grace it paid off..the upward climb each semester was really encouraging...I had a GPA of 5.0 twice...I eventually left with a CGPA of 4.51.

more than a decade after. ..it still remained one of my most cherished achievements...

go for it...all the best!
Thanks for the enlightenment. I will surely work on that.

1 Like

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:05pm On Oct 07, 2017
lordhugo:

Interesting mix.

I am currently looking to bring in 1 or 2 "agric" field undergrads with a flair for either coding/programming and web design into my team.

You need to start hustling while in school... It gives unique work and life advantages.
Oh, that's awesome.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:08pm On Oct 07, 2017
adakoleagbenu:
if I can finish with 3.53 after having 2.73 in my 100L, I put it to you, dat u can get that first class. I believe u!
Yea, thank you.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Alexis11: 9:08pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ojugunrege:

Yes Sir... wink Great Ife... Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife cheesy
Mehn! You are good!!!

1 Like

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by AloyalNigerian(m): 9:09pm On Oct 07, 2017
daseento:
This should encourage you. I use to be there and I made it eventually. My Cgpa was 4.17 at the end of 200level and guess what I didn't give up. What I did was to go back to the drawing board and restrategise, my major advice is for you to identify your priority and be ready to pay the sacrifice, it won't be easy but with determination, impossibility is nothing but a figment of our imagination.

You can use this formula to extrapolate your CGPA

Anticipated CGPA = ( present CGPA *number of semester spent so far ) + (anticipated G.P)

The above formula will help you to plan your semester ahead including your desire grade in each course, this is necessary to keep you focused on the job.

I hope my 2cent help.
Yea, it did. Thanks.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by Magjoel(m): 9:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
If you still want to graduate with a first class, then you must do this.
1) Know yourself I.e know your weakness and strength
2) Work both on your strength and weakness
3),Try to understand your courses and take every course seriously
4) Believe in yourself
5) Trust God
Chemical engineering isn't an easy course, make sure you understand and avoid cramming. I will like to your Number/contact, I'm currently studying industrial chemistry in unilag, we do take some engineering courses mostly Chem engr courses

3 Likes

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by papascode: 9:18pm On Oct 07, 2017
Florblu:
You have a good chance of making first class if you put in more effort.

But please first class is not enough to become successful,equip yourself.Let school pass through you.

Pass through him keh. . The young man schools in Nigeria. Lol...
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by oyakhilomeh(m): 9:30pm On Oct 07, 2017
AloyalNigerian:

Bitter truth is you can still graduate with a pass. But to secure your first class try and realign your priorities. It gets easier when you approach your finals though. I wish you well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by ksbusari(m): 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2017
1st class and wondering about after schl or ur 2nd class and get lucky after schl.
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by nickz(m): 9:37pm On Oct 07, 2017
OKANGPRECIOUS:
Are you guys saying with my 4.07 in year 2 and 4 semesters left i can't make 1st class?

Afraiding is catching me now.

I refuse to be discouraged.
5.0's in your remaining 4 semesters and ure aiit
Re: Can I Still Graduate With a First Class? by nickz(m): 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2017
papascode:

Pass through him keh. . The young man schools in Nigeria. Lol...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NDU Students Escaping From Amassoma Through Forest And River / Justina Anochie, Student Of Babcock Kidnapped / Oko Poly Students Write Their Test In A Dark Hall (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.