Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's (4609 Views)

Richest Nigerian States Ranked By GDP / Diasporans Contribute More To Nigeria's GDP Than 34 Of Its 36 States / Nigeria's GDP By Sector - Oil Isn't The Major Source Of Our Income (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's by Eddeux(m): 11:52pm On Mar 08, 2010
so I don't know what Nigeria's gdp is officially (don't know what to trust) but I looked on CIA Factbook and here it is:

GDP: $165.4 billion   (2009)
GDP (PPP): $353.2 billion (2009)[/color]
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ni.html

South Africa's:
GDP: $277.4 billion (2009)
GDP (PPP): $488.6 billion (2009)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html

And it's predicted Nigeria will surpass SA by 2012, but I ask, is this in PPP? How will it be possible?  Trust me I know Nigeria will leap ahead at some point, but 2012 is 2 years down the road. Double digit growth would possibly have to occur then. The economy is expected to expand past 7% (if I'm right) this year, and SA's at around a mear 3%. Do you think Nigeria will achieve its 2020 vision of GDP no lower than $900 billion? And another thing, isn't Egypt's GDP is
$470.4 billion (PPP) and $277.4 billion at exchange, so this places it above Nigeria. When will Egypt be surpassed?  undecided
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sf.html

Negative nancys stay away from this thread!I know Nigeria having a higher GDP doesn't translate to better living conditions, I'm just looking at this from a purely economical (and sorta political considering leaders play a huge role in development) viewpoint.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's by PapaBrowne(m): 2:46am On Mar 09, 2010
Yeah it is very possible if the political crises currently ravaging Nigeria is ended soonest.

If you look at the graphs below, you'd find the sharp upward growth path of the Nigeria GDP compared to that of South Africa which is more of a steady growth.

Over the last eight years, SA's GDP size has barely doubled from $133 billion in 2000 to $277 Billion 2008. Nigeria on the order hand had its GDP size quintuple from $46 Billion in 2000 to $212 Billion in 2008.

Based on these growth projectiles, Nigeria can surely surpass SA in 2012 if the political crisis is resolved quickly. and even quicker if the current CBN Governor Sanusi is kicked out!

Re: Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's by KunleOshob(m): 7:42am On Mar 09, 2010
If only Nigeria can solve it's power generation problem I am quite certain that the multiplier benefits drivable from stable power supply is enough to propel Nigeria's GDP ahead of SA. That apart if we can stop importing fuel and are able to meet all our needs from domestic refineries we would be well on our way to being a G20 nation. Nigeria has a lot of potentials we are just cursed with too many morrons leading us.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria's Gdp Can Surpass South Africa's by jba203: 9:46am On Mar 09, 2010
Dream on fellas.

(1) (Reply)

Ojukwu Lived A Most Fulfilled Life – GEJ / Femi Fani-kayode's Friend Threatens To Upload Sex Tapes Of Wife & Daughter / Creativity: Aba Invents Alternative Means Of Cooking Plus A Local Blender - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.