Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,901 members, 7,806,631 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem (3293 Views)

Foreign Used Toyota Camry 2003 V6 For Sale / Find Out Cost Of Engine, Transmission Or Gearbox At Ladipo Market. / What Are Differences Between The 6-cylinder Engine And The V6 Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 10:58am On Oct 07, 2017
Please help my car won't shift to 3rd gear unless i revive hard to 5 rpm and release the throttle, this problem started a week ago
Any solution?
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Gary88: 12:10pm On Oct 07, 2017
you messed with the transmission oil by not using the right fluid drain out the fluid and buy the right fluid then try it again ...honda problems is just transmission you mess with the fluid and boom you gat your self an issue

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 2:13pm On Oct 07, 2017
I use Honda DW1, i have drained and replaced, problem solved for 20mins and bounce back
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 6:54am On Oct 08, 2017
Scan your ride first
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 7:15am On Oct 08, 2017
mayor2013:
Scan your ride first
Non of those Scanners reads gear, i have scanned nothing came up concerning gear
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 7:23am On Oct 08, 2017
Emmanhack:

Non of those Scanners reads gear, i have scanned nothing came up concerning gear

Is your" check " light on
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 7:30am On Oct 08, 2017
mayor2013:

Is your" check " light on

Yes
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 8:44am On Oct 08, 2017
If you had run a scan like you said and your check light is on then you should have some faults stored on your car's engine control unit
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 11:12am On Oct 08, 2017
mayor2013:
If you had run a scan like you said and your check light is on then you should have some faults stored on your car's engine control unit
Knock 02 sensor and Abs Speed sensor
Nothing more
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Inception(m): 11:55am On Oct 08, 2017
Emmanhack:

Knock 02 sensor and Abs Speed sensor
Nothing more

The knock sensor is the culprit.

Repair or replace and your gear should be up and running again.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 1:31pm On Oct 08, 2017
Fix that knock sensor problem then. The knock sensor retards the ignition timing between 3-5 degrees. This can make your car go into limp mode.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 3:33pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thanks will repair and give feedback
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2017
not necessarily, if ur car is in limp mode, no amount of rpm will allow​the gear upshift. try scanning with torque. download and install if u r using the Bluetooth scanner type, might not thoroughly scan the gear but will give u serious confirmed faults. once scanned same vehicle with obdscanner app and torque, got more precise results with torque though it was a Bluetooth scanner and not a standalone.

or beta still look for a technician with a full diagnostic scanner that can read gear faults. that obdII scanner is just for power train issues usually associated with engine.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emman8(m): 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2017
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 10:40pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thanks will do
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by honmusa(m): 3:04am On Oct 09, 2017
Knock sensor malfunction will not make your pcm goes into limb mode .Beside you already stated that the gear will still shift after you rev hard so that so that nullified the fact that pcm is in limb mode.
Check the transmission scan data
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 5:54am On Oct 09, 2017
honmusa:
Knock sensor malfunction will not make your pcm goes into limb mode .Beside you already stated that the gear will still shift after you rev hard so that so that nullified the fact that pcm is in limb mode.
Check the transmission scan data

Have personally seen this sir in some cars it would. Transmission wouldn't shift well

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:47am On Oct 09, 2017
mayor2013:

Have personally seen this sir in some cars it would. Transmission wouldn't shift well

I have experienced it first hand. 03 Camry 4cyl. but the issue is, if the situation prompts for limp mode, the car will never never upshift into last gear no matter the rpm.

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 1:35pm On Oct 09, 2017
Update : knock sensor fixed still wont shift to 3rd gear, i checked the gear oil (just poured 5 days ago Honda DW1) its has turned black and smelly
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Readonee35L(m): 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
Emmanhack:
Update : 02 sensor fixed still wont shift to 3rd gear, i checked the gear oil (just poured 5 days ago Honda DW1) its has turned black and smelly
You were told to fix knock sensor. You went ahead to change 02sensor
grin

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
Readonee35L:

You were told to fix knock sensor. You went ahead to change 02sensor
grin
I mean the knock sensor grin
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by honmusa(m): 4:51pm On Oct 09, 2017
Emmanhack:

I mean the knock sensor grin
You are putting the cart before the horse ,checking the atf colour should be your first step instead of changing sensors .Black and smelly ATF for oil fleshly changed is enough indication that your transmission is already toast .

3 Likes

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 6:37pm On Oct 09, 2017
honmusa:

You are putting the cart before the horse ,checking the atf colour should be your first step instead of changing sensors .Black and smelly ATF for oil fleshly changed is enough indication that your transmission is already toast .
spot on

don't go changing parts anyhow, no joy in this country.

update us, after changing knock sensor was there any improvement at all?
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by Emmanhack: 6:58pm On Oct 09, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

spot on

don't go changing parts anyhow, no joy in this country.

update us, after changing knock sensor was there any improvement at all?
No improvement
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by whyniel: 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
I am experiencing this same issue just that my ATF isnt black and smelly.

Gear jumps from 2 to 4.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by honmusa(m): 7:28pm On Oct 09, 2017
whyniel:
I am experiencing this same issue just that my ATF isnt black and smelly.

Gear jumps from 2 to 4.

model? or is this keke marwa?
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by whyniel: 7:43pm On Oct 09, 2017
honmusa:

model?i or is this keke marwa?

2007 Honda Accord Sir.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by honmusa(m): 8:40pm On Oct 09, 2017
whyniel:

2007 Honda Accord Sir.
Any scan DTC code ?
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by whyniel: 10:06pm On Oct 09, 2017
honmusa:

Any scan DTC code ?
Not yet Sir.

Scan done few months ago revealed nothing.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:09am On Oct 15, 2017
Emmanhack:

No improvement

how far with the vehicle? u might need a comprehensive scan that can isolate and itemize gear related issues.... from ur explanation, I'd say the transmission is actually toast. burnt smell in the tranny's dipstick is an indication of excess internal friction which has probably led to extensive failure of some or all the internal parts. personally I'd prefer a rebuild but in the absence of qualified techs who specialize in that field....... just purchase another one with some form of warranty and remember it's not the purchase that matas now, it's most likely the installation that will make the ride smooth then maintenance will ensure continued and efficient utility.
Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:15am On Oct 15, 2017
whyniel:

Not yet Sir.

Scan done few months ago revealed nothing.

go for comprehensive scan.
how do u know it jumps from 2-4, is there any jerk or slip in change?
at what rpm will it likely make the change from 2-4?

doesn't seem like an extremely big deal. probably some solenoids needs servicing.
bad pcm can also cause this but I highly doubt.

cc Kashif.

why is kashif no longer assisting nlds, what did we do to him? or do we need to subscribe to something first?

1 Like

Re: Honda Accord 2003 V6 Engine Transmission Problem by hanslem(m): 8:00am On Oct 15, 2017
I had something similar with my Acura 3.2 TL V6
after servicing the gearbox 3months earlier, I noticed the oil gauge was almost double it normal level when I drew the attention of the Mech he told me not to worry that it was OK, fast-forward to three weeks ago, I noticed the vehicle disengages anytime I slow down to pass through gallops, and also it does not engage at all when am driving out in the morning, but if I put it in reverse (R) it doesn't have that issue,
I went to another place where they reduced the transmission fluid, and it's started working perfectly.

My take here is, most inexperienced auto mech are the problems we have.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coin Rover - Too Much Money! Check Out This Range Rover Covered In Coins / Honda Cars And Their Hand Yanking Off / Car Remote Drains Battery Fast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.