Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. (26729 Views)

What’s The Hardest Part About Marriage That No One Ever Talks About? / Things I Saw In A Coded Bar/motel, Bothering Me About Marriage! / What's Your Biggest Fear About Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

On point

If you think that his trash is on point then pòcohantas is right about you grin lmao
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by stilldoingokay(f): 3:24pm On Oct 12, 2017
Afam4eva:
We're brought up to have divergent views on life. While some think education is paramount, others think that without marriage, they're not fulfilled. We should not always try to force our school on thought on other people. Not every woman will be financially independent. So, let's leave those who think marriage is supreme to follow their heart.

Wow I wish I can give you 1000 likes, nice write up.

well some people shaa. she is against few people marriage view.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Apogee14: 3:24pm On Oct 12, 2017
Humanistme:

I'm not wrong most societies in Africa run a patriarchy.
far from it. maybe the islamic ones

1 Like

Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2017
Humanistme:

If you think that his trash is on point grin lmao

Don't revive what has passed brov...truths are partial not absolute, i don't even know what both of you are contending about.I just want the society to have healthy and happy marriages, That's all i care about. and that any man that beats a wife is idle, and that women should submit to their spouses, career, home or independent women. Simple. I don't know what you're talking about
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by gmoney12: 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2017
any person who thinks feminism is all about equality think again... don't be deceived
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Confor(m): 3:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
[quote author=NiggaBoi post=61187619]I have come across a sizeable number of ladies and I always love engaging them in different types of conversations. I'm a person that's so focused about making a good living for myself so I'm always interested in seeing everyone around me successful and doing great. But it really breaks my heart every time I ask my female friends what they picture their future like.

The first thing they always talk about is getting married. They got me thinking and I got to understand why. The average African girl has been brought up with the mentality that marriage is the greatest achievement for them. That's why we have a lot of females feeding off men and depending on them for everything.

Our society not having enough independent females is one of the major causes of abuse of women. I'm always happy when I see females excelling and doing well in their various career paths and family life. But I guess the mentality of viewing marriage as the greatest achievement for a female has to be abolished. Our society will be better if we have as much successful females as their male counterparts.

My name is Ola, and I'm a male feminist.

Pls the mods should help me push this to FP.

This is naturally their nature, a lot of women who are highly educated but are afraid to leave alone. While some others will pursue career to the detriment of marriage and family. Men want RESPECT while WOMEN want CARING. No matter how rich a lady maybe she will still look out for a hand that cares. All things being equal, you must have seen so many who have this carrier but no one to lean on. Money don't make everything.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by stilldoingokay(f): 3:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
NiggaBoi:
I acknowledge that it's a general ideal that the woman is subservient to man almost throughout the world. But wouldn't the purpose of getting an education be defeated if every female were to choose marriage over a potential glowing career? Why then should they go through the rigors of getting an education in the first place?

to what are understand here, you're saying different thing from what was type there. thanks
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
gmoney12:
any person who thinks feminism is all about equality think again... don't be deceived

Well, just the mere word feminism and the fears and insecurities it attracts has killed many relationships. People should simply what they want within the confines of a healthy relationship, this is more than adequate
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
OP, I get your point. But you need not attack the women without also attacking the society that CONDITIONED them to live by such orientations. Certain narrow stereotypical roles have been imposed on them by male social conditioning that if they do not conform to them, they're easily labelled useless, irresponsible, senseless, visionless and bad. They consider them sad and abnormal.

Our world is based on what B.F. Skinner called "operant conditioning". Certain behaviours are applauded, hence reinforced. Other behaviours are condemned, hence are inhibited. Those are the mechanisms that dictate people's behaviour. They seek to be applauded and not to be condemned. But who decides what should be applauded and what should be condemned? The controllers, of course - the sexist patriarchs who do the controlling.

Many people even seemed to have missed your point due to that very phenomenon. They think you're saying marriage is bad, when in reality you're telling women to stop DEFINING THEMSELVES BY MEN. To stop making marriage the very thing their entire existence revolve around. They have to stop making themselves mere accessories - 'cause that tendency harms them in many ways, as a result of TRYING TO MOULD THEMSELVES INTO WHAT MEN REQUIRE OF THEM.

As much as women need to be associated with strength, with independence, with thinking for themselves, and not caring what others think - to replace the "Princess" culture with the culture of the Dominatrix, and embrace non-conformity and dissent when it's good for them, we should also realise the need to flog some goats that are bent on denying them that right.

Just take a look as this thread www.nairaland.com/3871579/sudden-increase-single-ladies-above/13#57746292 and see how an agressive chauvinist was so bent on proving to me that UNMARRIED WOMEN CANNEVER BE HAPPY - WOMEN WILL ALWAYS NEED MEN TO MAKE THEM HAPPY. That's the social conditioning I'm talking about.

As a woman, you don't think marriage is important? Don't worry, they already have names and stories for you.
Tozara

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by RottenTomato: 3:29pm On Oct 12, 2017
NiggaBoi:
I have come across a sizeable number of ladies and I always love engaging them in different types of conversations. I'm a person that's so focused about making a good living for myself so I'm always interested in seeing everyone around me successful and doing great. But it really breaks my heart every time I ask my female friends what they picture their future like.

The first thing they always talk about is getting married. They got me thinking and I got to understand why. The average African girl has been brought up with the mentality that marriage is the greatest achievement for them. That's why we have a lot of females feeding off men and depending on them for everything.

Our society not having enough independent females is one of the major causes of abuse of women. I'm always happy when I see females excelling and doing well in their various career paths and family life. But I guess the mentality of viewing marriage as the greatest achievement for a female has to be abolished. Our society will be better if we have as much successful females as their male counterparts.

I like this post wink

1 Like

Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
OP, I get your point. But you need not attack the women without also attacking the society that CONDITIONED them to live by such orientations. Certain narrow stereotypical roles have been imposed on them by male social conditioning that if they do not conform to them, they're easily labelled useless, irresponsible, senseless, visionless and bad. They consider them sad and abnormal.

Our world is based on what B.F. Skinner called "operant conditioning". Certain behaviours are applauded, hence reinforced. Other behaviours are condemned, hence are inhibited. Those are the mechanisms that dictate people's behaviour. They seek to be applauded and not to be condemned. But who decides what should be applauded and what should be condemned? The controllers, of course - the sexist patriarchs who do the controlling.

Many people even seemed to have missed your point due to that very phenomenon. They think you're saying marriage is bad, when in reality you're telling women to stop DEFINING THEMSELVES BY MEN. To stop making marriage the very thing their entire existence revolve around. They have to stop making themselves mere accessories - 'cause that tendency harms them in many ways, as a result of TRYING TO MOULD THEMSELVES INTO WHAT MEN REQUIRE OF THEM.

As much as women need to be associated with strength, with independence, with thinking for themselves, and not caring what others think - to replace the "Princess" culture with the culture of the Dominatrix, and embrace non-conformity and dissent when it's good for them, we should also realise the need to flog some goats that are bent on denying them that right.

Just take a look as this thread www.nairaland.com/3871579/sudden-increase-single-ladies-above/13#57746292 and see how an agressive chauvinist was so bent on proving to me that UNMARRIED WOMEN CANNEVER BE HAPPY - WOMEN WILL ALWAYS NEED MEN TO MAKE THEM HAPPY. That's the social conditioning I'm talking about.

As a woman, you don't think marriage is important? Don't worry, they already have names and stories for you.

Societal conditioning...Clever perspective

Wait a minute, are you female?
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Daeylar(f): 3:31pm On Oct 12, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:

OMG cry This touched me cry cry
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Societal conditioning...Clever perspective

Wait a minute, are you female?
Hahaha. I'm a male! A fvcking male!
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by stilldoingokay(f): 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
SmartyPants:
So what exactly is the philosophy of male feminism?

seriously even me self want to know, so male feminist pls and explain OK.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:36pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Don't revive what has passed brov...truths are partial not absolute, i don't even know what both of you are contending about.I just want the society to have healthy and happy marriages, That's all i care about. and that any man that beats a wife is idle, and that women should submit to their spouses, career, home or independent women. Simple. I don't know what you're talking about

So you didn't even know what we were talking about and you rushed to hail him Lmao.

If you sincerely want the society to have healthy and happy homes you wont agree with his point about women being just an incubator. you are just a sexist prigg masquerading as an egalitarian.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Oct 12, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:
Hahaha. I'm a male! A fvcking male!

Don't get me scared, we exchanges some nice stuff in the past few weeks, almost had an attack.....Excellent idea, but i don't think the issue is about societal views alone, let alone fair to say societal conditioning. We will have longings, it is from the deep recesses of the soul that this stems from.

A woman will and can find satisfaction in life, career but as humans after we've gotten all our achievements, we set new milestones and chase after them, this is the case with marriage.

Not that women can't do without men, or can't find happinness, but after education, career success, then it is perfectly logical to chase a relationship.Brov, it's pure logic, not anything else trust me...Simply logic, and it doesn't make women less than humans, its by the same extension, men hunt for spouses when the time hits,like when the baby kicks and says it's time i wanna see the world like when the water is broken and the baby's cry is heard, like when the baby crowns and says welcome to the world, when one phase is lifted, it's for the next to open, so it's a necessary phase and not simply societal conditioning.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 12, 2017
Humanistme:

So you didn't even know what we were talking about and you rushed to hail him Lmao.

If you sincerely want the society to have healthy and happy homes you wont agree with his point about women being just an incubator. you are just a sexist prigg masquerading as an egalitarian.

I read a comment, i applauded the comment i read only, not the entire perspective.... I'm not what i'm called, i'm not your opinion. Thank you
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:40pm On Oct 12, 2017
ToZaraWithaZ:

EOD.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Daeylar(f): 3:43pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Don't get me scared, we exchanges some nice stuff in the past few weeks, almost had an attack.....Excellent idea, but i don't think the issue is about societal views alone, let alone fair to say societal conditioning. We will have longings, it is from the deep recesses of the soul that this stems from. A woman will and can find satisfaction in life, career but as humans after we've gotten all our achievements, we set new milestones and chase after them, this is the case with marriage. Not that women can't do without men, or can't find happinness, but after education, career success, then it is perfectly logical to chase a relationship.Brov, it's pure logic, not anything else trust me...Simply logic, and it doesn't make women less than humans, its by the same extension, men hunt for spouses when the time hits,like when the baby kicks and says it's time i wanna see the world like when the water is broken and the baby's cry is heard, like when the baby crowns and says welcome to the world, when one phase is lifted, it's for the next to open, so it's a necessary phase and not simply societal conditioning.

It's not a necessary phrase, it's not logic, it's societal conditioning,
You're just proving his point lol

Not everyone wants marriage or babies, not everyone has these longings, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

so for you to say it's logic or a necessary phrase just shows the effects of the societal conditioning he talked about, because you seem to find it out of place for someone not to want a husband or a wife or a child,

It doesn't mean there is anything bad or wrong about wanting these things. (So that I won't be misunderstood)

1 Like

Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:43pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

I read a comment, i applauded the comment i read only, not the entire perspective.... I'm not what i'm called, i'm not your opinion. Thank you

really cheesy . ok I'm watching you. I know you will still expose yourself on another thread the way you did on that rape thread and this one my instincts never lie.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by JamesReacher(m): 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2017
youngRx:

and there are countless reasonable husbands all over the world.

as a matter of fact i am sexually artracted to women with noble dreams and would do anything to make sure the one i marry pursues hers to the very peak. so help me God.
Spread that thought bro!
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 12, 2017
Daeylar:

It's not a necessary phrase, it's not logic, it's societal conditioning,
You're just proving his point lol

Not everyone wants marriage or babies, not everyone has these longings, whether you guys want to believe it or not.

so for you to say it's logic or a necessary phrase just shows the effects of the societal conditioning he talked about, because you seem to find it out of place for someone not to want a husband or a wife or a child,

It doesn't mean there is anything bad or wrong about wanting these things. (So that I won't be misunderstood)

I see anyone that doesn't want marriage as a perfectly normal healthy individual that could even be saner than so many people around. We're on the same page ma. I believe so ma
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Daeylar(f): 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

I see anyone that doesn't want marriage as a perfectly normal healthy individual that could even be saner than so many people around. We're on the same page ma. I believe so ma

Nice cheesy
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 12, 2017
Humanistme:

really cheesy . ok I'm watching you. I know you will still expose yourself on another thread the way you did on that rape thread and this one my instincts never lie.

I'm not your thoughts. I don't need to give validation to your squambles. I mean you're just a moniker... wink

Let it slide brov, i know how you feel, let it slide.
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:47pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

I'm not your thoughts. I don't need to give validation to your squeaklings. I mean you're just a moniker... wink

Let it slide brov, i know how you feel, let it slide.

my eyes are on you cheesy lmao
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
Humanistme:

my eyes are on you cheesy lmao

The issue is past bro, don't be like this cmon
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by JamesReacher(m): 3:50pm On Oct 12, 2017
majekdom2:
Life is perceived as a concept that gets real with its events. Life is a concept bro
Life on the surface might be a concept but bro, you want to tell me joys,pain etc that i've felt weren't real?
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Humanistme: 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

The issue is past bro, don't be like this cmon

pls anything you want to be discussed should be done here. knowing your history I don't think PMs are safe cheesy
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by row2ray(m): 3:52pm On Oct 12, 2017
NiggaBoi:
I have come across a sizeable number of ladies and I always love engaging them in different types of conversations. I'm a person that's so focused about making a good living for myself so I'm always interested in seeing everyone around me successful and doing great. But it really breaks my heart every time I ask my female friends what they picture their future like.

I support women being employed and able to afford their own stuff but
NiggaBoi:
This makes me think you are a woman wrapper because even the females aren't female feminists
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Futureberry: 3:56pm On Oct 12, 2017
supersystemsnig:

You spoke well.. I got carried away, cause when we look at our society, the female folks suffer more than the male folk
there is nothing as one suffering more than the other,both do suffers,one just happen to gain more attention than the other,case one,some days ago,a post appeared on front page,saying female Muslims students to be punished for dancing to one corner Dance,but the full details revealed that both male and female students where going to be punished, this same post was moved and edited by a so called male feminist super mod...things like these those no good to the society... You are solving one problem and creating another one...should men and boys keep on getting attention for the same crime injustice their female counterpart pass through...how do you think the society will be like
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 12, 2017
Futureberry:
there is nothing as one suffering more than the other,both do suffers,one just happen to gain more attention than the other,case one,some days ago,a post appeared on front page,saying female Muslims students to be punished for dancing to one corner Dance,but the full details revealed that both male and female students where going to be punished, this same post was moved and edited by a so called male feminist super mod...things like these those no good to the society... You are solving one problem and creating another one...should men and boys keep on getting attention for the same crime injustice their female counterpart pass through...how do you think the society will be like
]

Well spoken
Re: The Wrong Perception Of African Women About Marriage. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 12, 2017
JamesReacher:
Life on the surface might be a concept but bro, you want to tell me joys,pain etc that i've felt weren't real?
A concept that creates real events is what life is. Thoughts and events creates moments that are real. These thoughts and events could be imaginary or a concept too. Marriage can be termed one of life events i.e a concept as you said. It could either create a feeling of joy or pain that you feel which is real itself. Point is a concept can create reality . Life is a concept first, then reality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Wife Battery: Should We Drop Police Case, Though He’s Threatening To Kill Her? / My Younger Brother Is A Snitch. / Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.