Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:03 PM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (274588 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 08, 2017
Hi everyone. On this thread I am going to make a diary of my emigration to the UK as well as my daily experiences and adventures and any challenges I encounter along the way. I am a young Nigerian professional who just got hired by a UK organisation on a Tier 2 (general migrant) visa. I intend to spend a sizeable part of my life in the UK. I believe if everything goes well, I'll become a permanent resident (with ILR) in 5 to 6 years and can apply for citizenship a year after that.

My application was approved on the 27th of September, 2017, which means I have to be in the UK latest by 27th October, 2017. The entry clearance is valid for 30 days within which I need to have arrived in the UK and pick up the biometric resident permit (BRP) at the designated address given in my application.

So I welcome you to sit back, relax and watch it all unfold.

68 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 08, 2017

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bayocanny: 12:11pm On Oct 08, 2017
I dey follow u bumper to bumper

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by taurus2604(f): 12:31pm On Oct 08, 2017
Congrats! Kindly sow a seed to me with some household items or if u choose to sell them. Thanks.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 08, 2017

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2017
@All

Please allow the op to write his diary and stop asking how he got the job or visa else your post will be removed.

Thank you.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2017

169 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Naturelle05: 1:11pm On Oct 08, 2017
UKmigrant:
This move I am making was highly discouraged by colleagues and bosses. They feel I have no reason to abandon my job and leave the country since I am due for a promotion by early next year. Unfortunately, being the stubborn person that I am who only goes with his guts, my mind was long made up even before I joined the organisation, just that at a point, I actually fell in love with my job and felt like ''let me put my travelling plans on hold''. Moreso I only take advise from people who have done something I am trying to do, not people who were too afraid to, but want to discourage you, making sense of their situation. The funny thing is the only people discouraging me are the people who have never done this, they keep telling me of people they know who did it and had to come back to start all over again. Fortunately, I know too many people who have successfully made the move i am about to make, even later than I am doing right now and the only regret they had was not moving earlier when they had the chance to.

The events of the past one to two years however re-awakened my desire to leave. The economic situation of the country started making me feel hopeless and helpless. I started feeling depressed at work. I began to feel frustrated improvising everyday that I ran out of ways to improvise. I got tired of sucking up to draconian bosses whose aim is to enslave me. I got tired of getting insulted by bosss in the presence of clients and subbordinates (Everyone around me thinks this is normal and not a big deal). I got tired of bosses thinking its ok to keep me working beyond what is required of me into the late night everyday of the week without a corresponding pay or any overtime payment. I thought about my situation and circumstances carefully and felt, If I don't leave now when I have the chance to, I am going to be trapped for a long time and have regrets later in life.

I know moving to a new country can be really stressful with myriads of unforseen challenges, also one is going to start from the scratch, but this is a chance I am willing to take for the sake of my my sanity, my quality of life, and my family.
awww I wish you all the best,lately people have been trying to encourage me do the same,I hope I find courage like you some day.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2017
Tomorrow, I'll be going to FRSC office to make enquiries about how I can speedily process my international drivers licence. I learnt that one could use it to drive in the UK in the first year of arrival. At least I'll have one year to practice driving on their roads before going for their ''not easy to pass'' driving tests. I currently still have a valid Nigerian driver's licence expiring next month. I hope I won't need to renew it first before my international driving permit can be valid.

Anyone with an idea of the requirements for obtaining an international driver's licence in Nigeria and how the whole driving thing works in the UK? Do I still need to register with DVLA first before I can use it?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Afam4eva(m): 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2017
I like this kain topic die. I'm following...

@chokey419
You don disappoint us oo.

19 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 08, 2017

147 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 08, 2017

24 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Elxandre(m): 3:53pm On Oct 08, 2017
Nice thread.
Wish I have appropriate conditions for migration. smiley
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 08, 2017
God bless you UKmigrant.

It's okay for people to advice you otherwise, not because they're right but because that is what people do.

No one ever did nothing without trying. TRYING a responsibility we owe ourselves.

Wish you the best of luck on your journey. I've followed the thread, will keep checking with a bottle of coke and popcorn cheesy

21 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by doctor90210: 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
Keep it coming up, I dey observe u in 3D.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 4:52pm On Oct 08, 2017
@All

This is not job/visa inquiry thread, if you are interested in Tier 2 visa then start your own thread and mention the op, don't derail this one by asking about how he got his visa or job

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 5:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
justwise:
@All

This is not job/visa inquiry thread, if you are interested in Tier 2 visa then start your own thread and mention the op, don't derail this one by asking about how he got his visa or job

EggPlant:
Justwise, you dey vex o. I thought comments getting deleted should be because of derailing the thread or breaking some other rules. My post was very relevant to the thread and you deleted it. Easy o!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by rchilee: 5:50pm On Oct 08, 2017
UKmigrant:
A little about my last UK trip a few months ago. It was my first time in the UK. I needed to go sort out my runs. I was to stay for a total of 6 weeks. To save cost of accommodation, I contacted my cousin in France who has a friend in the city I wanted to stay in the UK and he linked us up. We started chatting several weeks prior to my trip and I even called him a few times. He said there's no issue at all accommodating me. He even promised to pick me up at the airport. Told me how he is really close to my cousin and I have nothing to worry about.

He even asked me to send my flight itinerary which I did. We finally spoke before i departed Nigeria and he said he'd be waiting for me at the airport as I land.

When we landed, I started trying his numbers all to no avail! Called him on whatsapp but he didn't pick up. Sent him several messages on whatsapp and skype, they were delivering but he wasn't reading them. Later the messages also stopped delivering. I decided to chill a little for him thinking he probably had some delays getting to the airport, I no no say I don jonze!

After 4 hours I was still at the airport with no calls from him or reply to any of my messages, I called my cousin in France who also tried to contact him but also couldn't. I then knew that I was on my own. I booked airbnb and took a black cab to the place.

He never called me back throughout my stay in the UK. I tried to message him once, it was delivered but he didn't reply, even up till now. I wonder what was going on in his mind for setting me up to be stranded like that. Thank Jah I was fully prepped for my trip financially and all, so, I just had to spend the money I was trying to manage.

On speaking with some Londoners about it, I learnt that it is a common behavior amongst Nigerians in London. I say na waa o! Brothers behaving like savages to their fellow countrymen. Unless they see clearly that they have something to benefit from you, they avoid you like a plague. The rest na story for another day sha.

Lol...I know that story of the friend too well. Very very true. For the international driving licence, its so easy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ugosample(m): 6:07pm On Oct 08, 2017
nice
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
Good luck bro, soon na weather and tax go be your major concern, everywhere has it's own peculiar issues., takia

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 08, 2017
Pidgin2:
Good luck bro, soon na weather and tax go be your major concern, everywhere has it's own peculiar issues., takia
Thanks, I have no problem with paying taxes and I believe UK weather is far better than some countries' like Canada and many Scandinavian countries and yet Nigerians are living happily there.

110 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by abduldope(m): 7:32pm On Oct 08, 2017
UKmigrant:
Thanks, I have no problem with paying taxes and I believe UK weather is far better than some countries' like Canada and many Scandinavian countries and yet Nigerians are living happily there.
WORD!!!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by austino677(m): 8:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
Present
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by taurus2604(f): 9:22pm On Oct 08, 2017
UKmigrant:
Where is your location sis, if your nice and close by, who knows maybe I'll let them go, lol!
FCT.....

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.