Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,338 members, 7,808,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (274856 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Beautyaddy: 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:

Run for the hills. grin

Unfortunately for the illegal immigrants, a british citizen cannot marry an overstayer and automatically confer on him/her the right to live in the UK. If you are interested in her, she will have to travel back to Nigeria to apply for a spouse visa after you both have gotten married in Nigeria. The home office will scrutinize her application very carefully because she is on their database as an overstayer.

In the days when I used to be a bad boy, I will 'chop and clean mouth' with that overstayer if I was in your shoes. grin

Really?

So how can an overstayer living in the UK eventually gain legal status without leaving the UK?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by blank(f): 11:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:

Run for the hills. grin

Unfortunately for the illegal immigrants, a british citizen cannot marry an overstayer and automatically confer on him/her the right to live in the UK. If you are interested in her, she will have to travel back to Nigeria to apply for a spouse visa after you both have gotten married in Nigeria. The home office will scrutinize her application very carefully because she is on their database as an overstayer.

In the days when I used to be a bad boy, I will 'chop and clean mouth' with that overstayer if I was in your shoes. grin

How are we sure that you've changed?

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:

Run for the hills. grin

i have clean mouth wella

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 11:45pm On Dec 21, 2017
Beautyaddy:

Really?

So how can an overstayer living in the UK eventually gain legal status without leaving the UK?

The main thing is that the Home Office has to be satisfied that the overstayer isn't getting into a sham marriage, and 99.9% of overstayers are. One way of convincing the Home Office is to get married and give birth to a child which will be british on account of the status of one of the parents. That will tilt the argument in favour of a legitimate marriage, but the overstayer will still have to go back home and apply for a spouse visa. A second way is to marry an EU citizen who is living and working in the UK. A third way is for the overstayer to hook up with a british citizen who agrees that they both relocate to Ireland for a couple of months, the overstayer can then apply for a residence permit via the Surinder singh loophole.

The above are all not guaranteed to work. If the overstayer is genuinely in a relationship with the british citizen, it's better they go back to Nigeria to apply for the spouse visa. If it gets rejected, they can appeal. It's all very time-consuming and expensive, it takes an extraordinary kind of love for a british citizen to go through all this for an overstayer.

I know of a Nigerian guy in London who got an EU residence permit on account of a previous marriage to a french lady, they both got separated. The Nigerian guy later met a young Nigerian lady who had overstayed her visa, they both started living together and had 2 kids together. They are still not married because the guy is still legally married to the french lady. I feel sorry for the Nigerian lady whenever I see her because she was completely taken advantage of.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by dustar: 12:06am On Dec 22, 2017
[color=#990000][/color]
AFTER READING FROM THE FIRST PAGE TO THE CURRENT PAGE.. I want to beg our janded brodaz to say a word of prayer for me to jand someday or for a better life here in Nigeria .. Peace n God bless our janded brodaz..

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by mystery22: 12:09am On Dec 22, 2017
exactly bro, if not whenever she gets what she's looking for her true colours will show, play wise while you still can.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by seuncyrus(m): 12:24am On Dec 22, 2017
I just read the whole thread from the beginning up to this page. I've learnt alot, from Credit cards to fixed deposit, to googling A&E and many other oyinbo terms.

Nice one UKimmigrant!

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 12:25am On Dec 22, 2017
nervorum:
Hi everyone,

This thread is an eye opener for me. The argument on creditcard was informative.

I see a lot of diasporans (UK) here, so i thought to ask (no intent on derailing pls!).

Have 2 job offers presently; one in Eastbourne (east sussex) and the other in Redhill, Surrey. Please i'd like some information on both places in terms of cost of living etc

I'd appreciate any help, as i have a few days to finalize.
TIA.

Accommodation in Surrey would be more expensive on the average.....

Depends on the wage the jobs are offering and where you intend to reside.....

You might pay a higher rent, but be much closer to work (saving on cost of transport & time). Than pay lesser rent, but be further away from your work (paying all + more saved on transport)....

Rail travel in the UK could cost you about £600 - £1200 pcm.

So lots of things to consider, before accepting any job offers......
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 12:27am On Dec 22, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

I'm presently seeing an overstayer and she's pronounced her undying love for me. The only thing is i am so confused when she's toasting me, because in Nigeria, a fine babe like that will show me pepper... Usually, when i say Hi, they said Bye....but now, na the reverse oh!

Could this be love??

Do you have what it takes to regularise her status?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Kampack: 12:37am On Dec 22, 2017
UK,,,
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by loud1: 12:51am On Dec 22, 2017
TWoods:

I’d rather pay 40% tax in the US than zero tax in Nigeria. In over a decade, I have seen power go out twice... once for maintenance and once when we had a bad hurricane. In both cases, I was inundated with warning emails days prior and power was back within 10 hours. Water flows like clockwork, schools are free up to college level, the 911 system works efficiently and we have the best healthcare in the world... even your president comes to the UK or Germany for healthcare. Shame on you.

Your effective tax rate is lower, but other than paying exhorbitant salaries so Dino melaye can pose with exotic cars on Facebook, what exactly is your tax used for to benefit you? By the time you calculate how much it costs just to live as middle class in Nigeria, you’re paying far more than a 40% tax on a lower salary.
This is so true

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by tojahh(m): 1:06am On Dec 22, 2017
Igerizee:

Charlie i go reply u buh i dey reason d particular mail i use open dis ma moniker wink wink buh no shakings b4 2mao evening i go reply u

Bossu na so e be paaaaa... Abeg i go wait
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by LMay(f): 1:41am On Dec 22, 2017
Inkredible:

What kind of job are you guys getting like this?
Tell me abeg, make I go read am sharp sharp. You pipu can't leave me here like this.

Two job offers?? Wawu!! shocked

They're doctors grin I'm suspecting the OP is a doctor as well.

I can put together the pieces:

Tier 2 visa & Attempting to save £2k per month means he's definitely earning £30k+ per annum. That's the basic pay for junior doctors excluding overtime.

Currently, doctors are the ones getting job offers straight from home. In fact, you'll be getting multiple job offers even before completing your plab exams.

Tier 2 visa means ILR in 5 years & citizenship one year after ILR.

As for people comparing UK to other countries & arguing that it's worse, I'll say it's subjective.

For instance, it's the easiest penetrable first world country for doctors. Cheap exam fee, very high pass rate, excess job opportunities, available residency training positions, etc.

Now tell me, if your profession becomes the next hot thing in the UK job market tomorrow, would all these comparisons matter in the face of career progression? For engineers, geologists & others, Canada is currently their Jerusalem. So, to each their own.

25 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Moety: 2:05am On Dec 22, 2017
LMay:

They're doctors grin I'm suspecting the OP is a doctor as well.

I can put together the pieces:

Tier 2 visa & Attempting to save £2k per month means he's definitely earning £30k+ per annum. That's the basic pay for junior doctors excluding overtime.

Currently, doctors are the ones getting job offers straight from home. In fact, you'll be getting multiple job offers even before completing your plab exams.

Tier 2 visa means ILR in 5 years & citizenship one year after ILR.

As for people comparing UK to other countries & arguing that it's worse, I'll say it's subjective.

For instance, it's the easiest penetrable first world country for doctors. Cheap exam fee, very high pass rate, excess job opportunities, available residency training positions, etc.

Now tell me, if your profession becomes the next hot thing in the UK job market tomorrow, would all these comparisons matter in the face of career progression? For engineers, geologists & others, Canada is currently their Jerusalem. So, to each their own.
Doctors earn only £2,500 pcm? How are they expected to survive on that income and save £2K per month? It's practically impossible in London.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 2:39am On Dec 22, 2017
Moety:

Doctors earn only £2,500 pcm? How are they expected to survive on that income and save £2K per month? It's practically impossible in London.

Are you forgetting to add Locum shifts? Basic salary is simply basic and does not include overtimes.......

IR35 only just had major restrictions imposed. But pre the restriction, £45,000 can easily be earned on overtime basis. Get a good accountant that knows their onions and you would only pay maximum £1,500 towards taxation......

Still good money can be earned doing overtimes......

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by 360command: 3:59am On Dec 22, 2017
tojahh:

Bossu na so e be paaaaa... Abeg i go wait
it seems u have been in gh before.. God bless your hustle as you go there... Job no dey Ghana except na biz u wan do.. If na biz, ghana market na patience.. E no b like 9ja wey men dey rush buy things.. Another new haven na la Cote d'ivoire... That place ma paradise...
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Tedpgrass: 6:11am On Dec 22, 2017
nervorum:
Hi everyone,

This thread is an eye opener for me. The argument on creditcard was informative.

I see a lot of diasporans (UK) here, so i thought to ask (no intent on derailing pls!).

Have 2 job offers presently; one in Eastbourne (east sussex) and the other in Redhill, Surrey. Please i'd like some information on both places in terms of cost of living etc

I'd appreciate any help, as i have a few days to finalize.
TIA.

Eastbourne is cheaper in terms of cost of living . seaside community, relatively small hospital:--- good landing pad to settle upon arrival

get ur exams out of the way quickly
do extra hours to increase income
if you have children, may look at private education as schools aren't top-notch

overall actively network via postgrad college in local areas n London is just 1.5 hr away on train, so good accessibility..

get good mentors and set targets_-- short and longterm with SMART objectives

can look to living on the Brighton border after awhile:--- loads of Naija in Brighton

hope that helps

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Tedpgrass: 6:22am On Dec 22, 2017
@ Op

nice thread

look forward to more updates

little more on work obviously anonymising sensitive data
3 months down, are you due an appraisal and how would you rate your input so far::

think along these lines, to carefully sell yourself to your line manager/ coy

I bring this up as we Naija work very hard but not necessarily smart:--- its the hustle overdrive!!! But you have to be very self-aware almost on the verge of being very self-centred!!! Otherwise you get no credit..

relationships can be dealt with later

with regards to contrary opinions, you may find some resistance to your mindset but cut them some slack

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by tojahh(m): 7:23am On Dec 22, 2017
360command:
it seems u have been in gh before.. God bless your hustle as you go there... Job no dey Ghana except na biz u wan do.. If na biz, ghana market na patience.. E no b like 9ja wey men dey rush buy things.. Another new haven na la Cote d'ivoire... That place ma paradise...

Boss I've not been there yet, I heard the wordings from movies and researching. Thanks for the wish man. Its gonna end in praise.

Walai Naija don tire me jor
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Inkredible(m): 8:20am On Dec 22, 2017
nervorum:

Is it news that brexit with a lack of Nigerian govt interest in Nigeria's health sector is favouring brain drain?

Sadly, the country don't value them. Let them migrate to where they are valued and paid. grin

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by xest(m): 8:47am On Dec 22, 2017
UKmigrant:
Be like say I go need new babe o, congy don dey hold me small small as the cold don dey serious now grin My babe for naija abeg no vex o, I no go fit hold body that long wink

Na only oyinbo babes for my work place dey eye me for now. Most of the black girls dey like "throw away" face when you run into them but you look back and then you catch them checking you out. I wonder why!
na there way
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by 360command: 9:51am On Dec 22, 2017
tojahh:

Boss I've not been there yet, I heard the wordings from movies and researching. Thanks for the wish man. Its gonna end in praise.

Walai Naija don tire me jor
I understand, leave that country if you know you can't change the system. We deserver better living... That is why I get disappointed when I see nairalanders brag themselves about Nigeria..

In Nigeria, you will see a fine house during the day but at night it is a ghost house.
In Nigeria, you will see people driving nice cars, but the road do not fit those nice cars...

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Myati: 10:10am On Dec 22, 2017
Moety:

It's practically impossible anywhere unless ofcourse they are not spending a dime of their salary which is again unlikely .

If a doctor in the NHS earns 38k, which is about 3100 gross per month. His total deductions per month including pension ( which btw is a lot in the NHS) would be about 1100 and this is me being generous by the way. He/she is left with 2k then comes the bills.. So pray tell how the hell are they saving 2k a month.

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 22, 2017
Nice op,read your thread from the start,but i'lld like to know if there is by any means,opportunity for I.T guys over there considering they might not lack that there,everyone is open to reply me please.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 22, 2017
Myati:

It's practically impossible anywhere unless ofcourse they are not spending a dime of their salary which is again unlikely .

If a doctor in the NHS earns 38k, which is about 3100 gross per month. His total deductions per month including pension ( which btw is a lot in the NHS) would be about 1100 and this is me being generous by the way. He/she is left with 2k then comes the bills.. So pray tell how the hell are they saving 2k a month.

You don't want to know how much people are earning here. There are things you wont find online. Your analysis is correct on paper, but in reality it's not!

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wowo2: 10:54am On Dec 22, 2017
Myati:

Locum..OT overtime work...
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by DisGuy: 10:59am On Dec 22, 2017
Myati:

There are different levels/grades, no? Locum rates, overtime, unsocial hours....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 11:00am On Dec 22, 2017
analyser:
Nice op,read your thread from the start,but i'lld like to know if there is by any means,opportunity for I.T guys over there considering they might not lack that there,everyone is open to reply me please.
There are loads of opportunities bro, Indians are taking them up everyday, Nigerians are dulling. Just go to http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk
http://www.reed.co.uk/
http://www.monster.co.uk/

Try and see if you match the specifications and if you dont, work towards it.

15 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by DisGuy: 11:03am On Dec 22, 2017
Sometimes you get the feeling many Nigerians are upset that the system isn't' built with immigrants in mind...dont these people know we want to build mansion in our village and receive chieftaincy title in record time! Why are they taxing us and making us pay bills?!?!

7 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by dustydee: 11:10am On Dec 22, 2017
analyser:
Yes there is. Have a look at the Tier 1 exceptional talent visa. It has never been filled since the route opened some years ago mainly because people do not know about it and also because they think the requirements are a bit stringent but once you start, it's not that difficult.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by nervorum: 11:17am On Dec 22, 2017
Tedpgrass:

Eastbourne is cheaper in terms of cost of living . seaside community, relatively small hospital:--- good landing pad to settle upon arrival

get ur exams out of the way quickly
do extra hours to increase income
if you have children, may look at private education as schools aren't top-notch

overall actively network via postgrad college in local areas n London is just 1.5 hr away on train, so good accessibility..

get good mentors and set targets_-- short and longterm with SMART objectives

can look to living on the Brighton border after awhile:--- loads of Naija in Brighton

hope that helps

Thanks man!
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by nervorum: 11:20am On Dec 22, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Accommodation in Surrey would be more expensive on the average.....

Depends on the wage the jobs are offering and where you intend to reside.....

You might pay a higher rent, but be much closer to work (saving on cost of transport & time). Than pay lesser rent, but be further away from your work (paying all + more saved on transport)....

Rail travel in the UK could cost you about £600 - £1200 pcm.

So lots of things to consider, before accepting any job offers......

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.