Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,881 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 PM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (274879 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 10:27pm On Oct 20, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Are you forgetting the cost of British rail tickets? Not everyone uses an oyster card........

oyster card is only London thing and you can use it for both rail and bus within London

11 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ishilove: 11:34pm On Oct 20, 2017
justwise:

This was why i said that your assumption is a false one, not everybody earning that amount has 5kids to feed or have a house already.

Average cost of bus pass in the UK is about 60-70 in most cities (London excluded), if you are earning £11,500 a year and spends £250 monthly on food alone then you will have serious problem saving a penny.

People earning £11,500 a year are working part time and if you have kids and working part time then the govt will still pay your rent and you will be getting child tax credit for each child under the age of 16
sad

*melancholic sigh* sad

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2017
justwise:

oyster card is only London thing and you can use it for both rail and bus within London

And those that reside outside London?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 11:48pm On Oct 20, 2017
Lexusgs430:

And those that reside outside London?

Just a weekly ticket which comes in different forms, in many cities it cost £15-20

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 11:52pm On Oct 20, 2017
Ishilove:

sad

*melancholic sigh* sad

You lost me there

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 21, 2017
justwise:

Your calculation is base on false assumption and not a realistic situation,

If your yearly salary is £11,500 then you can't get a mortgage, you can't spend £300 a month in transport alone and you can't spend £250 on feeding alone.
Rightly said. I think it'll be really tough subsisting a family (even of 2) on £11,500 without any kind of government support. That's why they stipulated that even a British national inviting his non-EEA spouse to the UK must meet a minimum income requirement of £18,600 per year, This income threshold is even higher if one is also sponsoring children. They don't want anyone to be a burden on the government, because it is almost certain that people earning that low will surely request for benefits and tax credits etc

12 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 7:52am On Oct 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Rightly said. I think it'll be really tough subsisting a family (even of 2) on £11,500 without any kind of government support. That's why they stipulated that even a British national inviting his non-EEA spouse to the UK must meet a minimum income requirement of £18,600 per year, This income threshold is even higher if one is also sponsoring children. They don't want anyone to be a burden on the government, because it is almost certain that people earning that low will surely request for benefits and tax credits etc

Nobody on full time employment earns £11,500 year that is very little, if you are married or a single mother on low income you have support from the govt to supplement your income.

My mate who is married and earning about £21,000 a year gets working tax credit which is about £174 a week per child, single mothers on low income gets about £800 a year or more.

Not only that he gets discount on his council tax.

As a single person i pay more tax than him, so even as i probably save more money than he does he still get extra from govt which i don't.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2017
justwise:

Just a weekly ticket which comes in different forms, in many cities it cost £15-20

Weekly travel card, £15 - £20? Just bus pass or a combination of all?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 2:22pm On Oct 21, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Weekly travel card, £15 - £20? Just bus pass or a combination of all?

Bus
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 2:36pm On Oct 21, 2017
justwise:

Bus

Now you are talking..... Do you know how much a combination of all costs?
Passengers cannot always hop on the buses..... Times when traffic is heavier or alarm clock refused to bang..... etc etc etc

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by blank(f): 3:01pm On Oct 21, 2017
Justwise, this thread is being derailed. Let's leave this thread for the Op to update us on his travel plans whilst a new thread is created for this argument

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:43pm On Oct 21, 2017
blank:
Justwise, this thread is being derailed. Let's leave this thread for the Op to update us on his travel plans whilst a new thread is created for this argument

Derailing and nairaland threads are synonymous.........
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 21, 2017
justwise:

This was why i said that your assumption is a false one, not everybody earning that amount has 5kids to feed or have a house already.

Average cost of bus pass in the UK is about 60-70 in most cities (London excluded), if you are earning £11,500 a year and spends £250 monthly on food alone then you will have serious problem saving a penny.

People earning £11,500 a year are working part time and if you have kids and working part time then the govt will still pay your rent and you will be getting child tax credit for each child under the age of 16

Oga justwise, by family of five he meant two parents and three kids not five kids as you implied. Most likely such a person will be on welfare aka child benefit, let's assume he is not paying mortgage then what of rent? He might pay from 400 to 600 pounds per month depending on how he wants to live his life. In all, it's not a good thing to earn such per year while living in UK. This is the reason some people living in there cannot invite friends and family over because they are already a liability to the country so it has stripped them of their legal rights to host any possible visitors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2017
blank:

We have discussed this before when he starts writing the actual diary all these debates will stop.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 5:13pm On Oct 21, 2017
Pidgin2:

Oga justwise, by family of five he meant two parents and three kids not five kids as you implied. Most likely such a person will be on welfare aka child benefit, let's assume he is not paying mortgage then what of rent? He might pay from 400 to 600 pounds per month depending on how he wants to live his life. In all, it's not a good thing to earn such per year while living in UK. This is the reason some people living in there cannot invite friends and family over because they are already a liability to the country so it has stripped them of their legal rights to host any possible visitors

You made a lot of false assumptions here, if the family of 5 are on welfare then they will be living in council house, housing association accommodation or private rented which the government will pick up the cost.

Again like I said before..nobody working full time earns as little as £11.500 a year, people coming to the UK on work visa like the op earns far more than that for a start.

You can still invite friends or families and nobody strips you that right because you don't earn enough. Inviting people does not mean that you will be paying their flight ticket or hotel accommodation.

12 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by damoceile: 9:10am On Oct 22, 2017
Oga UKmigrant once you reach, Pls endeavour to feed us with pictures right from Heathrow airport down to your doorstep.... Í Dey Follow you bumper to bumper

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 5:40pm On Oct 22, 2017
Nice tread
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 22, 2017
Reporting live from London!

72 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by cuteguy201: 7:17pm On Oct 22, 2017
Oshe!
Nice weather, Init?.... Smiles

UKmigrant:
Reporting live from London!

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2017
cuteguy201:
Oshe!

Just about last night at Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport Abuja

30 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2017
cuteguy201:
Oshe!

Na so o baba, chilly kinda weather...

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by damoceile: 7:31pm On Oct 22, 2017
Abeg wey Heathrow airport, I wan see all those mini trains wey dem say e dey the airport

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
Thank God got to London in one piece. The poundo yam in my hand luggage was siezed at Istanbul Airport by one silly lady like that and she trashed it right in my presence shouting "forbidden". I wish I fit knock am for head. Thing pain me no be small!

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2017
Enroute London from Istanbul...

14 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 22, 2017
London Heathrow Airport. I took the fast Heathrow Express train straight to London Paddington Station. This set me back by £22!

28 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 22, 2017
More

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by justwise(m): 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2017
UKmigrant:
London Heathrow Airport. I took the fast Heathrow Express train straight to London Paddington Station. This set me back by £22!

Heathrow express train just pretty fast, worth that £22

7 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 22, 2017
Got to London Paddington in less than 20 minutes. This would have taken longer if I used the tubes, moreso I didn't want to suffer too much cos I had quite some baggages!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 22, 2017
More pics from Paddington Station...

10 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2017
Yipeee! grin

Oga don arrive.

Just pass item 7 come my side

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by damoceile: 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2017
Heathrow airport, I'm just so obsessed with that airport... Heard there are better airports in some other places... But Why I like this airport I simply don't know... Í go surely get there someday

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by LMay(f): 11:05pm On Oct 22, 2017
UKmigrant:
Thank God got to London in one piece. The poundo yam in my hand luggage was siezed at Istanbul Airport by one silly lady like that and she trashed it right in my presence shouting "forbidden". I wish I fit knock am for head. Thing pain me no be small!

Sorry about that. It's because you put it in your hand/cabin luggage. Next time, put the Poundo in your main luggage.

White powdery items are a contraband. Food is also a contraband in hand luggage. I still carried 3kg of Poundo yam via Istanbul airport last week. It wasn't seized. Since its a connecting flight, it won't be assessed at Istanbul.

I'm a regular Turkish Airlines flyer. I now have a degree in luggage packing grin

By the way, I like the way you write.

46 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.