Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,041 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification (44580 Views)

Aina, Troost-ekong And Lookman Make AFCON-11 Man Team Of The Tournament / Di Maria Winner Puts Argentina On Brink Of WC Qualification / William Troost-Ekong And Wife Expecting A Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by 1bunne4lif(m): 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2017
Sholaqe:
Leon balogun is hot.
I was just passing, it wasn't my intention to interfere
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by 1bunne4lif(m): 6:13pm On Oct 08, 2017
seguntijan:
OFF TO RUSSIA AS ONE!!
Yesterday, not more than 30 boys and a
coaching crew did it. Yes they did it
against Zambia and that landed Nigeria a
ticket to Russia 2018. Excellent.
I watched the 90 minute tension soaked
and breathtaking game on TV, at a point,
my focus left the boys to the crowd in
the stadium.
As the cameras beamed and zoomed
close, I looked for an Housa man, I could
not find one, Yoruba people, I couldn't
locate them, Igbo kwenu seemed not to
have come to watch their son Mikel. Yes,
the match was played in Uyo stadium but
even Akwa Ibom people stayed back.
I searched through and there was no
ANRP, no PDP, no APC, all the Christians
in Nigeria were in Church and the
Muslims where in the Mosque. The
politicians were busy with their 2019
project.
Again, in the crowd, u could not
differentiate between a Northerner and a
Southerner. Everyone in that stadium in
one accord and unity was looking for one
thing and alas it came, GOOOOOAL !!!
The shouts erupted, my neighborhood
exploded, I could see joy and celebration
everywhere.
It didn't end there, those Zambia boys
were daring and still fighting like wounded
lions and then, the final whistle came.
And I heard, we won. I asked who is 'we',
he said Nigeria. I asked another, and
another and they kept answering the
same thing. I tried to argue that its not
Nigeria that won and I sounded 'weird'.
The guy that scored that goal was Igbo or
is it Deltan? I'm not too sure. That's the
reason I asked who is "we'? I needed to
be sure so I can give due credit to Igbo
race or the Deltans. Even up to this
morning, I'm still hearing we won, Nigeria
is going to world cup next year.
The lesson here is that we can build this
Nation if we tie it to a goal not our
differences. Those differences were there
within that 90 minutes and the whole
nation stayed glued to their TV sets
looking for that one goal.
Yes we can, True we can.
Let's look for one goal as a nation now n
pursue it. Forget the differences, we will
always have them. Great nations do have
their differences but they have become
great cos they strategically tied their
vision and aspirations to one goal.. "To
become great".
If you can read this, don't tell me u don't
know the attributes of greatness.
We can build Nigeria again together!
God bless Nigeria !!!
mine wasn't on tv; BILLBOARD

2 Likes

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by owomida1: 6:15pm On Oct 08, 2017
kjhova:

Your comment wreaks of ignorance.

Nigeria has been to 5 world cup finals and we made it to round 2 in 3 of them. In these appearances, we have had some good games against giants like Argentina, Italy, Spain, England, France etc and was never disgraced in any of them. We won some, drew some and lost games in which we gave the opponents a good fight.

Those teams we had in the past are not significantly better than our present squad and it is not like our would be opponents at the world cup will be shipped in from Space.

That you even mentioned politics in team selection shows how disconnected you are from reality.

#VivaEagles

Ogbeni,

What I wrote earlier is prevalent in NFF. It's like you started following Nigerian football recently.
And yes we have humiliated ourself at the global stage so many times. I am not willing to cite examples but I have written my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by barcalover(m): 6:16pm On Oct 08, 2017
Sholaqe:
Leon balogun is hot.
Looking at ur dp i already know ur job

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by anyebedgreat: 6:32pm On Oct 08, 2017
Highbhee:
I pray these players don't go and disgrace D's Country...

U can yab me and die instantly sha cry

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Jay1988: 6:39pm On Oct 08, 2017
brainpulse:
Good team play, but it was God that saved us yesterday after a Zambia's goal was disallowed.
e for red for US like this en hahahah.. them just dey shoot balls they go up up

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Jay1988: 6:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
i pray make we no go enter group like this
BRAZIL
NIGERIA
SPAIN
FRANCE

As them reach there dem nor go unpack sef hahahah
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by adeoba2008(m): 6:43pm On Oct 08, 2017
Highbhee:
I pray these players don't go and disgrace D's Country...

U can yab me and die instantly sha cry

Waka
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by rossyc(f): 7:17pm On Oct 08, 2017
offishialpablo:
na only me bin notice when balogun cried after d game
I noticed that too. Cry of joy..
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:18pm On Oct 08, 2017
when yoruba boy jam akwaibom boy wetin you expect. .up super eagle's!
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by rossyc(f): 7:19pm On Oct 08, 2017
I was busy admiring Leon Balogun during the match. He is cute.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by mrtayesynchro(m): 8:17pm On Oct 08, 2017
brainpulse:
Good team play, but it was God that saved us yesterday after a Zambia's goal was disallowed.

It wasn't disallowed,the goal is pure offside and this was due to the inexperienced Zambian striker who could have waited patiently for the ball to be played before movement.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Ganjafama(m): 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2017
enemyofprogress:
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
I can see that you're living up to your name.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by ogbu80(m): 9:09pm On Oct 08, 2017
kokomaster3d:
This is a good team. See the patriotism. They are hungry for success. Highly motivated. Something tells me we will do better in Russia
like winning the world cup I suppose...lolz
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Coloradvantage(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2017
owomida1:
This is the last awesome performance we may be seeing from them.

In Russia, we will be decimated in the world's full glare.

Let's first watch the politics that will be employed in picking players for Russia.
there is politics in every area of life ..but so far from all observation! the coach is given a free hand! and encouraged to succeed! wish them well and render advice when needed... who knows... it might reach them! its possible! to do well in Russia!
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by danduj(m): 11:14pm On Oct 08, 2017
Sholaqe:
Leon balogun is hot.
you're hotter
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by kjhova(m): 11:50pm On Oct 08, 2017
owomida1:

Ogbeni,

What I wrote earlier is prevalent in NFF. It's like you started following Nigerian football recently.
And yes we have humiliated ourself at the global stage so many times. I am not willing to cite examples but I have written my opinion.

You seem to take delight in your ignorance of Nigeria's football pedigree.

When was the last time we had a squad selection crisis in the Super Eagles that lends any credence to your fallacy of a prevalent occurrence in the NFF?

As for our World Cup performance over the years, see below all our matches to date and point out where we have been humiliated so many times as you suggest:

Bulgaria 3:0
Argentina 1:2
Greece 2:0
Italy 1:2

Spain 3:2
Bulgaria 1:0
Paraguay 1:3
Denmark 1:4

Argentina 0:1
Sweden 1:2
England 0:0

Argentina 0:1
Greece 1:2
S/Korea 2:2

Iran 0:0
Bosnia 1:0
Argentina 2:3
France 0:2

Please tell me where the humiliation is here?!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by kjhova(m): 12:00am On Oct 09, 2017
ogbu80:
like winning the world cup I suppose...lolz

Maybe we win the WC next year in Russia and maybe we don't. It really doesn't matter as there are many ways to define success other than grabbing the cup.

Iceland and Wales had amazing appearances at the Euro 2016 and neither won the cup.

1 Like

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by terzurum5(m): 12:08am On Oct 09, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

The central defence partnership of Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong has earned praises from the coach of the Nigeria national team Gernot Rohr for their performance in the 1-0 win over Zambia which secured Nigeria a spot at next year World Cup.

Balogun and Ekong have been the favourite pair for Rohr since he took over as coach of the Nigerian team a year ago, and Nigeria is yet to lose a game with the pair in defence.

Speaking to the press after their 1-0 win yesterday, Rohr admitted the performance of the duo played a big role in helping Nigeria see out the Zambians especially when they mounted pressure in search of a goal.

“When you know if you have to win to qualify and you’re playing at home it puts you under pressure than the other team who are playing away”, the coach said.

“But our players were very strong mentally and we have very physical players like Balogun and Ekong as centre backs so we have this behind, and a goalkeeper (Ezenwa) who has confidence also which is also very important”.
This is the part that clearly seperates Ezenwa and Akpeyi apart.

#Confidence#

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/08/rohr-speaks-on-influence-of-oyibo-wall-in-super-eagles-win-over-zambia/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by eROCK247(m): 12:11am On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:

Frankly speaking, our team didn't play well. But who pass exam na im knw book. Looking forward to better displays in the tournament.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Aristocrat1011(m): 7:02am On Oct 09, 2017
Sholaqe:
Leon balogun is hot.
Na the only thing way dey.. dey ona brain. but you're hot too. most especially i love those big pair of boobs you have on.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Babanews(m): 8:46am On Oct 09, 2017
The two players are a great team in the defence.
They deserve the praise.

How the term 'Oyinbo Wall' was coined is an interesting one.
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by Drummerboy15(m): 11:23am On Oct 09, 2017
IfoyinTEDO:
Make them play Brazil first
if dem use that Elderson Echiéjilé for left back and neymar catch am Nigeria go chop pass 5-0 cos neymar go use that wing score hatrick. still think that left back is our weakest link in the squad
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by perrybrain(m): 1:25pm On Oct 09, 2017
Nice one duo..........................................beginning to LOVE THIS NEW SUPER EAGLES................................as long as they commit to putting in their very best to deliver
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by wizjid69: 5:39pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:
I know o! But we deserve to be in Russia
Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by wizjid69: 5:42pm On Oct 09, 2017
Drummerboy15:
if dem use that Elderson Echiéjilé for left back and neymar catch am Nigeria go chop pass 5-0 cos neymar go use that wing score hatrick. still think that left back is our weakest link in the squad

You're very correct. We need to start searching for a better left back. Elderson is too elderly. We need a youthful player to take his place. But he should still be in the team because he has been very faithful.

1 Like

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by wizjid69: 5:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
owomida1:
This is the last awesome performance we may be seeing from them.

In Russia, we will be decimated in the world's full glare.

Let's first watch the politics that will be employed in picking players for Russia.

Not with Gernot Rhor. If they try anything like that he will just walk away from the team. The team has a rich blend of experience and youth. If politics were playing a part in team selection then Musa would have played against Zambia even if he has not played for Leicester City this season. It will not happen.

1 Like

Re: Rohr Praises Influence Of Ekong and Balogun In Super Eagles WC Qualification by profmathsland(m): 6:19am On Oct 25, 2017
[quote author=terzurum5 post=61238477][/quote]

The last time we saw a solid defense partnership was in the peak period of the 90s where the gentle giant and the boss were together including one other person.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Burkina Faso, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon - AFCON 2015 Group A / Perpetua Nkwocha Weds Nwufoh In Owerri (Photos) / Mikel Completes Move To Chinese Super League Side Tianjin TEDA (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.