Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

They Called Me Mom (flash Fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / They Called Me Mom (flash Fiction) (613 Views)

Mom's New Boyfriend / The Genesis (A Flash Fiction Story By Kayode Odusanya) / Scared. A Flash Fiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

They Called Me Mom (flash Fiction) by onnybee: 3:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
Copyright 2017 Onnybee. All rights reserved.

Please feel free to comment and criticize. I don't bite wink

THEY CALLED ME MOM

I stared at the house, transfixed and mesmerized at what I saw. My flower-patterned nightgown danced around me to the rhythm of the cool night’s breeze and the short blades of grass felt cold and prickly beneath my bare feet. I curled my toes around them; a sort of reminder to myself that all I was seeing was real because it could be hard to believe it.

It was a beauty to behold. Such a marvellous sight!

Some distance in front of me, large flames were shooting to the sky like fearless, fiery monsters. The inferno was raging like demented dragons dancing to some supernatural tune, consuming everything around them with the sole aim of bringing the entire six-bedroom duplex down.
The burning house was a place I had erroneously called home for five years of my life; a place I once thought I could find love and peace.

I was wrong.

The fire continued to grow; roaring and forcing its way out through every window and door, nook and cranny, bearing clouds of smoke blacker than the night’s sky. But in the midst of all the chaos, I was glad. Because they were finally free.

‘They’ - Greg and twins, Anne and Grace whom no matter how hard I tried I just couldn’t be the perfect wife and mother to. I wasn’t even close. They deserved better – to be embraced in the loving arms of a perfect God, in a perfect place. I had to put an end to their misery - the misery I caused them.

Poor souls - I kept failing them, one stupid act after another. There was only one way out for them. I sedated them and tucked them in their beds. Then with gas and an ignition, I set the house on fire.

As I watched the flames rise I knew they carried with them Greg and the twins’ spirits and they were already with the angels in heaven. Soon I would join them in that place where all things and all people are perfect.

I just had one more thing to do. I just had one more soul to set free before mine.

(1) (Reply)

The DSF Story With A Little Twist. / How Sadistic Killers Think / DEADSHOT (A Crime Thriller)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.