Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,713 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (548676 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tee79(f): 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
Please those living in Adelaide, how is Adelaide and the job market in Adelaide?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Hephziebah(f): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I will be sharing my story whilst trying not to repeat points already shared by others.

PHCN frustrated me out of Nigeria earlier than I planned so I was quite scattered on the day I was leaving. I flew Emirates and the flight left as scheduled with me being one of the last to check in due to my 'overload syndrome'(I just found it extremely difficult fitting my entire existence into 2 suitcases!). For people like me that can pack for Africa, 23kg is very small so you are better off focusing on things you might not get here. For the ladies, it might be useful to bring black hair products and hair extensions (though they sell expression here but its so tiny and does not come out as nice as the Naija one). Hair cream and relaxers are important as there only two places I know in the whole of Sydney that sell black hair products and one might not have the luxury of time to go there always.

Stopover at Dubai was good as IOM arranged for someone to meet and usher me to the boarding gate for the connecting flight. I was very happy and impressed because I thought they had done me enough favour already by making the ticket available at half price grin

We also had another stopover in Thailand which I did not like, because the ticket read DXB-SYD. This stopover was however not long (just about an hour and a half) so I finally got to Sydney after about a day of travel. I found Sydney to be a lot like the UK in many areas so things did not feel very strange afterall.

I stayed with a friend for a few days and got my own accommodation a few days later. However, I had to move out of the house after just a month because I was not comfortable. Like others have said, it is very important to ask about all the conditions before moving into any house. Do not allow any landlord to fool you by saying they will send the documentation later(after you move in), it is most likely a trap because at this point, you would have paid and will most likely be bound to fulfill the minimum lease period.

I chose to live in Sydney and the major factor that informed my choice was the availability of jobs in my field. This, and other factors like ease of travel with the public transport system (as I did not intend to drive immediately) helped me decide. In fact, I had a spreadsheet when I was still in Nigeria where I was doing a comparison between Sydney and Melbourne based on the factors I considered important to me.

As I do not drive, I use public transport and spend about $60 per week on travel. The trains are more reliable than the buses so when renting, be sure to ensure that you get a place close to the train station if not driving. You really don't want to have a lot to do with the buses because they can really test your patience.

I shared my job search strategy in an earlier post on the other thread.

I will be back to share more of my experience as time goes on.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2017
One thing I've learnt so far from this thread is that all the good people from Naija dey Australia..
See the way people dey help each other here..
Chai, be like say na UK dey house the wrong ones o.. Na UK person go arrange to pick u for airport finish, but the person no go show face...
God bless y'all helping each other... Make I still dey do my research sha, but I done dey like Australia small small.... I just love USA shaaaa....

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 7:11am On Oct 26, 2017
fighal:
One thing I've learnt so far from this thread is that all the good people from Naija dey Australia..
See the way people dey help each other here...
Exactly! Strangers helping strangers and in the process become families!

Zany.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 7:33am On Oct 26, 2017
Fizzywah:

Nice one Oknee. Melbourne truly is beautiful. Please if you don't mind I (we) would appreciate photos of the suburbs as well. I think it helps those of us yet to get there..... to cure our "What to expect" worry. Many Thanks.
Coming up

14 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by kamotisha: 7:38am On Oct 26, 2017
PHCN frustrated me out of Nigeria earlier than I planned so I was quite scattered on the day I was leaving. I flew Emirates and the flight left as scheduled with me being one of the last to check in due to my 'overload syndrome'(I just found it extremely difficult fitting my entire existence into 2 suitcases!). For people like me that can pack for Africa, 23kg is very small so you are better off focusing on things you might not get here. For the ladies, it might be useful to bring black hair products and hair extensions (though they sell expression here but its so tiny and does not come out as nice as the Naija one).

[/quote]

I also imagine the torture associated with fitting everything I have in 2 suitcases. I have bought enough extensions and wigs o. I can't start thinking about hair stuff just when I land.
May God prosper our ways. All the best sis...

7 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 8:17am On Oct 26, 2017
More pictures

22 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by salford1: 6:33pm On Oct 26, 2017
this Australia clean sha.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Phlunter01: 10:07pm On Oct 26, 2017
tyosho:
More pictures
nice and clean neighborhood

8 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 2:32am On Oct 27, 2017
On culture shocks-
Calling everyone by name did not come so much as a surprise because i worked in an industry that encouraged that in Nigeria.
What however shocked me is how people here feel so comfortable with a habit like smoking.Almost everyone in my office smokes and they do not seem to think anything is bad with it.People call their ogas to go with them outside for smokes.Man o,woman o,team leader o,manager o,new recruit o,everybody go gather smoke the smoke grin.

Unlike back home where smoking is seen as a vice for miscreants and irresponsible people,here the most intelligent and brightest people smoke and its not a sign of bad character or a character flaw.Makes me wonder whether we have priorities misplaced at home.

Another thing here is its normal for colleagues to invite you out for drinks(you pay for yourself of course).Fridays,weekends,start of training,end of training,promotion,etc etc, na drinks bar e dey end.

My friend who i met here told me its not a bad idea to go along with them once in a while and i think so too.I went once and it was fun!!!.I do not smoke or drink but i had plenty fun all the same.

Another thing too is they like to talk a loooooot.MY gawd!!!!!
How are you is met with a lenghty response of how last night went,what happened on the train,what happened outside the office so so so.
How was your weekend nko?Looong story too grin.

At first it was strange for me because when they say "ty how are you",im like "fine" and they have this look of "is that all?",some will even be like "just fine?"" why just fine ?" and in my mind im like "what else again ooo?".

But now me too don dey cram stories give them make i no carry last.

We have team huddles everyday and on random days my team lead is like everyone must give an interesting fact about themselves or just tell us something interesting that has happened to you today and you must respond o.The mata dey just tire me sometimes.

My elder kid too has caught the talking bug.This is someone that could barely sting 2 sentences before we left Lagos 7months ago but now,he gets disciplined (sent to bed) for talking too much.When he wakes up,i ask "do you still want to talk or you go back to bed grin?".

The boy will keep quite o.
For 15MINS and start again.
Lots of interesting experiences.Will share more later

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 6:58am On Oct 27, 2017
tyosho:
All these coming from someone who doesn't like to talk too much cheesy cheesy cheesy. You too haff join the "bad gang" joor grin grin grin

Zany.

18 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Phlunter01: 7:25am On Oct 27, 2017
lol....this is a very hilarious piece.

tyosho:
On culture shocks-
Calling everyone by name did not come so much as a surprise because i worked in an industry that encouraged that in Nigeria.
What however shocked me is how people here feel so comfortable with a habit like smoking.Almost everyone in my office smokes and they do not seem to think anything is bad with it.People call their ogas to go with them outside for smokes.Man o,woman o,team leader o,manager o,new recruit o,everybody go gather smoke the smoke grin.

Unlike back home where smoking is seen as a vice for miscreants and irresponsible people,here the most intelligent and brightest people smoke and its not a sign of bad character or a character flaw.Makes me wonder whether we have priorities misplaced at home.

Another thing here is its normal for colleagues to invite you out for drinks(you pay for yourself of course).Fridays,weekends,start of training,end of training,promotion,etc etc, na drinks bar e dey end.

My friend who i met here told me its not a bad idea to go along with them once in a while and i think so too.I went once and it was fun!!!.I do not smoke or drink but i had plenty fun all the same.

How are you is met with a lenghty response of how last night went,what happened on the train,what happened outside the office so so so.
How was your weekend nko?Looong story too grin.

At first it was strange for me because when they say "ty how are you",im like "fine" and they have this look of "is that all?",some will even be like "just fine?"" why just fine ?" and in my mind im like "what else again ooo?".

But now me too don dey cram stories give them make i no carry last.

We have team huddles everyday and on random days my team lead is like everyone must give an interesting fact about themselves or just tell us something interesting that has happened to you today and you must respond o.The mata dey just tire me sometimes.

My elder kid too has caught the talking bug.This is someone that could barely sting 2 sentences before we left Lagos 7months ago but now,he gets disciplined (sent to bed) for talking too much.When he wakes up,i ask "do you still want to talk or you go back to bed grin?".

The boy will keep quite o.
For 15MINS and start again.
Lots of interesting experiences.Will share more later

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 27, 2017
tyosho:
More pictures

What suburb is this?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by abolore80(m): 9:05am On Oct 27, 2017
Hello house, i want to relocate with my family, can someone give me the full details of the entire process.
How to start, and all that is required.
cheers!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:20am On Oct 27, 2017
Tee79:
Please those living in Adelaide, how is Adelaide and the job market in Adelaide?

What visa are you coming on?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sweetgal81: 9:24am On Oct 27, 2017
Good morning house, Please are kids of international students allowed to go to public schools without paying school fees.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:30am On Oct 27, 2017
sweetgal81:
Good morning house, Please are kids of international students allowed to go to public schools without paying school fees.

Each state has her policy about children of international students. In South Australia, schools are not free for children of international students. In some states, if you are on a research visa, schools are free for your kids.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by zanyzara: 9:32am On Oct 27, 2017
abolore80:
Hello house, i want to relocate with my family, can someone give me the full details of the entire process.
How to start, and all that is required.
cheers!
Wrong thread. Visit https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident

Zany.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 10:08am On Oct 27, 2017
WellEndowed:

What suburb is this?

Its Lynbrook.Its a fairly new neighborhood

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by WIZGUY69(m): 10:14am On Oct 27, 2017
tyosho:
More pictures

Just thinking... is this the high brow area of Australia?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by sweetgal81: 10:58am On Oct 27, 2017
My school is Flinders University at Adelaide
bellong:

Each state has her policy about children of international students. In South Australia, schools are not free for children of international students. In some states, if you are on a research visa, schools are free for your kids.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 27, 2017
tyosho:

Its Lynbrook.Its a fairly new neighborhood

Beautiful. Nice suburb for people looking to invest

salford1:
this Australia clean sha.

Salford some suburbs are almost "spotless" cool are you sure you don't want to relocate? cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 11:41am On Oct 27, 2017
WIZGUY69:

Highbrow for where? that place is more than 20km from the city, just a suburb.
Bourke Street, Melbourne CBD

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tee79(f): 11:50am On Oct 27, 2017
bellong:

What visa are you coming on?

I am trying to get 20pts in English so it will be 189. If otherwise it will be 489. Agricultural consultant.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 11:55am On Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne Central train station.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 12:01pm On Oct 27, 2017
More of Melbourne Central

8 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tyosho: 12:12pm On Oct 27, 2017
WIZGUY69:

It's not a highbrow area.Its just an area that's still been developed and like most other places here,is well maintained and clean
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mcslize: 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2017
WIZGUY69:

Why will you be asking that kinda question bro if that's the most high brow area? Australia of all Australia?

Go to YouTube and watch Australia videos, that place is bloody clean. Too clean and they have nicer roads and surroundings. Go watch "Tony Solo Day Game Infield" to see the different areas in Melbourne. He moves from place to place all over Melbourne, so you can have a glimse of how nice the place look. I believe Australia top one of the most cleanest country in the world. So that place can't be the most high brow area. Same with New Zealand. They both have clean surroundings. Remember littering is illegal there.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ManJAT: 3:46pm On Oct 27, 2017
Akachukwu123:
Good day good people.
Pls can I get help here on his to get an employee to sponsor my 489visa to Tasmania or new south wales(or anywhere at all)
I passed an engineering technologist assessment with EA since August but I'm having issue making all 7 in IELTS to take my points to 65.
Thank you

go and do PTE it's much more easier. contact spyroxy1 for the guide on mock test. majiouk2002 sells the voucher

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Solitin40: 4:28pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mcslize:

Why will you be asking that kinda question bro if that's the most high brow area? Australia of all Australia?

Go to YouTube and watch Australia videos, that place is bloody clean. Too clean and they have nicer roads and surroundings. Go watch "Tony Solo Day Game Infield" to see the different areas in Melbourne. He moves from place to place all over Melbourne, so you can have a glimse of how nice the place look. I believe Australia top one of the most cleanest country in the world. So that place can't be the most high brow area. Same with New Zealand. They both have clean surroundings. Remember littering is illegal there.
Here are the top 10 "most liveable" cities according to "The Global Liveability Report 2017":
1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada
5. Calgary, Canada
6. Adelaide, Australia
7. Perth, Australia
8. Auckland, New Zealand
9. Helsinki, Finland
10. Hamburg, Germany

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.