Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,945 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? (1430 Views)

The Popular Lunatic Man In Akungba Is Healed / Gospel Pastor Turns Mad(lunatic) On Altar / Abuzola Alzakawi "a Lunatic Or A Slave Of Mohammedi" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by lafile(m): 12:21pm On Feb 19, 2007
I just came accross this on the net and i think it will drop some questions on those who doubt that Jesus Christ is who He said he is. Enjoy.

In discussing his apologetic method, C. S. Lewis once stated that he usually found the aut Deus aut malus homo quite useful in demonstrating the validity of Christ's claims.1 The argument, which is summed up in this Latin phrase ("Either God or a bad man"wink, points out that, if Christ's claims were false, then he could not have been a good man, since he thought of Himself as God. This "liar, lunatic, or Lord" argument was summarized by Lewis in one of his most widely quoted passages:

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.2

Elsewhere, C. S. Lewis has stated that if Christ's claims for Himself are not true, then they are "those of a megalomaniac, compared with whom Hitler was the most sane and humble of men." He continued:

There is no half-way house and there is no parallel in other religions. If you had gone to Buddha and asked Him, "Are you the son of Bramah?" he would have said, "My son, you are still in the vale of illusion." If you had gone to Socrates and asked, "Are you Zeus?" he would have laughed at you. If you had gone to Mohammed and asked, "are you Allah?" he would first have rent his clothes and then cut you head off. If you had asked Confucius, "Are you Heaven?", I think he would have probably replied, "Remarks which are not in accordance with nature are in bad taste." The idea of a great moral teacher saying what Christ said is out of the question.3

Benjamin Franklin, who was a Deist who did not believe in the divinity of Christ, wrote in his Resolution on Humility that one should "Imitate Jesus and Socrates." It is interesting that, throughout all of history, Jesus has been considered a model of humility. Yet, if He was not whom He claimed to be, then He was the very opposite of humble. William Lyon Phelps has written:

Either his assumption of authority came from his union with God, or he was the most conceited of human beings. Modesty is one of the finest manly attributes; a man cannot be perfect, cannot even be called very good, who lacks modesty, who takes Himself too seriously. If Jesus were only a man, he lacked one of the cardinal virtues and was marked by a fault peculiarly offensive. But the angels and the shepherds and the wise men who celebrated the first Christmas, they knew who he was. Kneeling before the manger at Bethlehem they worshipped the Divine Saviour.
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by lafile(m): 1:32pm On Feb 19, 2007
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by Nella(f): 3:05pm On Feb 21, 2007
just one question, " d person who created diz forum : Idiot, Stupid, or just Crazy??
seriously u guys have gat 2 mind d kinda forum u create, not just come on n create wat ever u want!!!
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by lafile(m): 3:31pm On Feb 21, 2007
what exactly on the Thread freaks you out?
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by Nella(f): 11:40pm On Feb 22, 2007
lafile:

what exactly on the Thread freaks you out?

The part of asking : "if my God is a lunatic!!!, just wat a question!!!
how would u feel if i came up to u n asked u if ur father was a lunatic?
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by seyibrown(f): 4:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
@ OP

Absolutely! He is either LORD, LUNATIC OR LIAR to us! It's up to us to choose on the basis of his life, teachings, death and resurrection! We can accept or reject such one who came in the name and in the power of God!

He is Lord! He is not just 'a good man who came to show us we can live good' so that we can strive to be good on our own without any help from our heavenly father. He is MESSIAH, the son of God in whom the work of salvation for our lives was made complete so that we can reconnect to our father in heaven and  live for his glory with the help of the Holy Spirit! He is the arm of God who redeemed us from destruction! His yoke is easy and his burden is light! Our works do not bring us to God; accepting his mercy, forgiveness and grace does! Our own righteousness is as filthy as rags and we cannot save ourselves by our own power or might; WE ARE SAVED BY HIS SPIRIT through JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!

Alleluia! HE IS LORD! grin

WHO IS HE TO YOU? LORD, LUNATIC OR LIAR?
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:22pm On Jan 10, 2011
He is the King of the Jews.  That is a racial statement.  Make no mistake about it,

He is Jewish.

He is also the King of Israel. 

He is a national King.

He is also the King of all Ages,

He is the King of Heaven,

He is the King of Glory,

He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

He was a Prophet before Moses;

He is a Priest after Melchisedek;

He is a champion like Joshua;

Do you know Him?
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by Sweetnecta: 8:15pm On Jan 10, 2011
[Quote]« on: February 19, 2007, 12:21 PM »

I just came accross this on the net and i think it will drop some questions on those who doubt that Jesus Christ is who He said he is. Enjoy.

In discussing his apologetic method, C. S. Lewis once stated that he usually found the aut Deus aut malus homo quite useful in demonstrating the validity of Christ's claims.1 The argument, which is summed up in this Latin phrase ("Either God or a bad man"wink, points out that, if Christ's claims were false, then he could not have been a good man, since he thought of Himself as God. This "liar, lunatic, or Lord" argument was summarized by Lewis in one of his most widely quoted passages:

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.2

Elsewhere, C. S. Lewis has stated that if Christ's claims for Himself are not true, then they are "those of a megalomaniac, compared with whom Hitler was the most sane and humble of men." He continued:

There is no half-way house and there is no parallel in other religions. If you had gone to Buddha and asked Him, "Are you the son of Bramah?" he would have said, "My son, you are still in the vale of illusion." If you had gone to Socrates and asked, "Are you Zeus?" he would have laughed at you. If you had gone to Mohammed and asked, "are you Allah?" he would first have rent his clothes and then cut you head off. If you had asked Confucius, "Are you Heaven?", I think he would have probably replied, "Remarks which are not in accordance with nature are in bad taste." The idea of a great moral teacher saying what Christ said is out of the question.3

Benjamin Franklin, who was a Deist who did not believe in the divinity of Christ, wrote in his Resolution on Humility that one should "Imitate Jesus and Socrates." It is interesting that, throughout all of history, Jesus has been considered a model of humility. Yet, if He was not whom He claimed to be, then He was the very opposite of humble. William Lyon Phelps has written:

Either his assumption of authority came from his union with God, or he was the most conceited of human beings. Modesty is one of the finest manly attributes; a man cannot be perfect, cannot even be called very good, who lacks modesty, who takes Himself too seriously. If Jesus were only a man, he lacked one of the cardinal virtues and was marked by a fault peculiarly offensive. But the angels and the shepherds and the wise men who celebrated the first Christmas, they knew who he was. Kneeling before the manger at Bethlehem they worshipped the Divine Saviour.
Report to moderator Logged
in all your geting, get understanding
lafile (m)
Festac Town, Lagos

Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar?
« #1 on: February 19, 2007, 01:32 PM »

http://www.grmi.org/Richard_Riss/evidences/34prob.html]/Quote]What if he had nothing to do with any of the elements of divinity heaped on his, especially when it is obvious that he said "why call me good? the Only One Who is Good is not on earth"? Will a real chairman of a company be a subordinate to the real Chairman of the same company? Are there 2 chairman? I know it should be chairman, but I'm observing the Trinitarian way of expressing 1 complete God when in reality they say there are 3 separate and fully independent entities of God[s]. When people use their brain and apply reasons, it is a natural conclusion to arrive, morally that Yahweh and Jesus, if are only considered shall be two Gods. When you add the inactive Ghost arriving at the Trinity, there shall be nothing less than 3 Gods.

Shall we heap these nonsensical on a Prophet of God, who is a son of man, saying that he is not to be called "good"? The nonsense belong to the writers of the nonsense, confusions and we must acquit Jesus son of Mary, the messenger and prophet of God.[/quote]
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by Sweetnecta: 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2011
What if he had nothing to do with any of the elements of divinity heaped on his, especially when it is obvious that he said "why call me good? the Only One Who is Good is not on earth"? Will a real chairman of a company be a subordinate to the real Chairman of the same company? Are there 2 chairman? I know it should be chairman, but I'm observing the Trinitarian way of expressing 1 complete God when in reality they say there are 3 separate and fully independent entities of God[s]. When people use their brain and apply reasons, it is a natural conclusion to arrive, morally that Yahweh and Jesus, if are only considered shall be two Gods. When you add the inactive Ghost arriving at the Trinity, there shall be nothing less than 3 Gods.

Shall we heap these nonsensical on a Prophet of God, who is a son of man, saying that he is not to be called "good"? The nonsense belong to the writers of the nonsense, confusions and we must acquit Jesus son of Mary, the messenger and prophet of God.
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by seyibrown(f): 3:32am On Jan 11, 2011
What if he had nothing to do with any of the elements of divinity heaped on his,

Going by what we have on the Jesus described in the Bible (not the one described in the Quran), depending on what you conclude of him, he is to you one of the three: LORD or LUNATIC or LIAR! If you believe that Jesus (of the Bible) is not as the Bible says he is, then to you, he is not Lord and this has nothing to do with whether any lies were 'heaped on his head'!

BTW, is the Jesus of the Quran your LORD? I don't think so (given prior submissions on NL by you), and this goes further to show that 'lies or no lies heaped on his head has nothing to do with why you do not believe Jesus Christ is Lord'! And if I ask you why he is not Lord, you will (directly or indirectly )tell me it is because Allah says so (given prior NL submissions)!
Re: Jesus Christ: Lord, Lunatic Or Liar? by vedaxcool(m): 11:20am On Jan 11, 2011
^^^^
Heheheh grin grin grin this woman has problem with opposites.

The opposite of LOrd is

a. Lunatic b. Liar c. Not divine (Not Lord)

The Opposite of Lunatic is:

a.Lord b.Liar c. Sane

the opposite of Liar is :

a. Lord b. Lunatic d. an honest person.

see how confusing Christianity can be? Since when do the three words become Opposite to each other?   

Jesus is either Lord or human, and he is very much human, because he ate/drink/ and felt hunger which are some of the attributes of being human.

Lunatic well that has no place as Jesus was sane that was why he said he is a servant. and also asked God for forgiveness, Jesus (PBUH) prayed to the Father in the Heaven; “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12), Furthermore If Jesus is lord(GOD) auzobilla! nowhere does he emphatically says so, instead this despirados will use all sort of trick to "prove" he is,

About being a Liar Jesus couldn't be lying for saying he is the servant of God.

Jesus is Human, a Servant of God and a Prophet. ALLAHUAKBAR!

(1) (Reply)

My Girlfriend Says Her New Church Is "celestian" Or Something / . / Spiritual Odours.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.