Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,835 members, 7,802,671 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? (29155 Views)

Npower: What Payment ID Pay/08/11/202100000001 Means / What Is The Best Means To Join The Nigerian Police As Graduate? / My Means Of Livelihood Taken Away From Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2017
I'm not gainfully employed, but if you meet me, you will think I'm earning a fat salary somewhere.

A plan has been on the table for the past 12 months and is expected to take off fully by August 2018. Finance is the only problem, and these people told me that I will cross the financial bridge when I get there. They are very certain of other factors on my part. The problem now is that they stop once in a while to ask, "What are you doing to earn the living at present?" To answer this, I use to tell them that I do the job I was trained for in University, looking for clients daily. We all know that this thing is not lucrative, and as a matter of fact, if a client calls me for a job today, I may not receive another call for a job in the next 2 months.

I have a job I can do to earn money needed for basic necessities, but it is very shameful to hear that a graduate does it. I have to look big if I want to keep earning the respct of these people. It's like a building contractor that borrows money to buy a car because clients will have faith in him and trust him with their money.

Now these people are suspecting that I look good, and that if what I do currently can make me look this good, why hatching a different plan? If I tell them the shameful job I do apart from what I'm trained for, they will think that my plan is primarily based on escaping hunger. And if that thought crosses their mind, the plan on the table can be rendered useless within minutes.

Now how will you advise me concerning this situation in a bid to douse the tension created by their suspicion?

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Akalia(m): 9:00pm On Oct 10, 2017
Keep doing what you are doing bro, it's called packaging. Don't blow your cover Abeg.

162 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 9:15pm On Oct 10, 2017
Akalia:
Keep doing what you are doing bro, it's called packaging. Don't blow your cover Abeg.

I no wan blow the cover, bro. And I want them to keep the tempo about the plan.

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Pearl05(f): 11:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
Beosten:
I'm not gainfully employed, but if you meet me, you will think I'm earning a fat salary somewhere.

A plan has been on the table for the past 12 months and is expected to take off fully by August 2018. Finance is the only problem, and these people told me that I will cross the financial bridge when I get there. They are very certain of other factors on my part. The problem now is that they stop once in a while to ask, "What are you doing to earn the living at present?" To answer this, I use to tell them that I do the job I was trained for in University, looking for clients daily. We all know that this thing is not lucrative, and as a matter of fact, if a client calls me for a job today, I may not receive another call for a job in the next 2 months.

I have a job I can do to earn money needed for basic necessities, but it is very shameful to hear that a graduate does it. I have to look big if I want to keep earning the respct of these people. It's like a building contractor that borrows money to buy a car because clients will have faith in him and trust him with their money.

Now these people are suspecting that I look good, and that if what I do currently can make me look this good, why hatching a different plan? If I tell them the shameful job I do apart from what I'm trained for, they will think that my plan is primarily based on escaping hunger. And if that thought crosses their mind, the plan on the table can be rendered useless within minutes.

Now how will you advise me concerning this situation in a bid to douse the tension created by their suspicion?

There is no job that is shameful sir, so far it not illegal. You are a professional in your field but since the job isn't coming much at the present, you engage yourself in other meaningful jobs that can keep you going. Now when asked what you do for a living, be bold to state what you do. There is dignity in legitimate labour.

120 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 4:21am On Oct 11, 2017
Pearl05:

There is no job that is shameful sir, so far it not illegal. You are a professional in your field but since the job isn't coming much at the present, you engage yourself in other meaningful jobs that can keep you going. Now when asked what you do for a living, be bold to state what you do. There is dignity in legitimate labour.

Pearl of laive! The packaging is needed o. Inbox me na.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by MilesLamar(m): 6:25am On Oct 11, 2017
The goal is to be rich not to look rich...

*Modified
So this thread make front page?

pls nairaland hlp me with work ... check my signature

44 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by 9japrof(m): 6:27am On Oct 11, 2017
[s]The goal is to be rich and not to look rich[/s]

Fouck that statement, this is Nigeria, yiu can buy respect, business deals with people with the way you dress and the people whom you associate with.

So keep up the struggle, keep people around you in suspense, but do not ever ever brag or claim what you do not have, it would definitely hunt you

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Florblu(f): 7:01am On Oct 11, 2017
If you are not proud of what you are doing, then it's not worth doing.
Or maybe you should be more explicit so as to understand you better

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 11, 2017
I'm still trying to understand the intent behind the thread. As much as what I can deduce from OP's post, the question he is asking us is rhetorical. undecided

26 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by judgedredd22(m): 8:33am On Oct 11, 2017
Pearl05:

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Chigorkizz(m): 8:49am On Oct 11, 2017
May be his maga normaly pays within the period of every two months of which he will start looking for another of his prey which goes for another 2 mnths.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by RedDistrict: 8:57am On Oct 11, 2017
i dont get??

u want us to advise you on what to tell ur nosy neighbours when they ask what u do for a living? or you want us to tell you how to escape them totally

If they arent feeding you or housing you, why bother about them? You say u have a small hustle u do to meet your needs so lockup on their matter and tell them u have a job or part time job

Live your life and bro and continue the hustle, God's blessings wuld fall on u soon, u dont need other ppl's approval to live your life especially if u aint begging them for food or money.

enjoy

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Derekethan1: 9:26am On Oct 11, 2017
Yahoo
Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 10:37am On Oct 11, 2017
Derekethan1:
Yahoo

You think everyone will be into gambling like yourself to make ends meet? Yahoo ko, Google ni.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 11:06am On Oct 11, 2017
RedDistrict:
i dont get??

u want us to advise you on what to tell ur nosy neighbours when they ask what u do for a living? or you want us to tell you how to escape them totally

If they arent feeding you or housing you, why bother about them? You say u have a small hustle u do to meet your needs so lockup on their matter and tell them u have a job or part time job

Live your life and bro and continue the hustle, God's blessings wuld fall on u soon, u dont need other ppl's approval to live your life especially if u aint begging them for food or money.

enjoy

They are to render a big financial support. They have studied my capabilities and agreed that I'm 100% capable. But there is somewhere like an academic society where people present opinions, argue, agree and disagree on certain issues meant for very learned persons. I use to outshine them in this place, and is the reason why they are willing to part with their money to sponsor something that looks like an upgrade. Take for instance, telling them that I'm a bus conductor will reduce my influence in the forum where we meet. You know that bus conductor will surely curse people in a day, or if you say you carry loads at building sites, you won't have the energy to argue saying, "And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness--secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name."(Isaiah 45:3) You can prove that you have enough knowledge to utilize non-conventional feed resources to raise pigs that will pass carcass quality test during meat inspection, and be bold enough to say you presently hunt for scrap metals. It's not everything that can be revealed on the Internet because you will not understand some of them. If you are a Christian, and I start using Hadiths to prevent a case; you won't understand.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Beosten(m): 11:12am On Oct 11, 2017
Chigorkizz:
May be his maga normaly pays within the period of every two months of which he will start looking for another of his prey which goes for another 2 mnths.

That's why you guys fail exams even before you start writing it. Is advance fee fraud a course in the University? Go school, e no gree, and you com internet to renew idiat license.

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Akalia(m): 12:05pm On Oct 11, 2017
Beosten:

They are to render a big financial support. They have studied my capabilities and agreed that I'm 100% capable. But there is somewhere like an academic society where people present opinions, argue, agree and disagree on certain issues meant for very learned persons. I use to outshine them in this place, and is the reason why they are willing to part with their money to sponsor something that looks like an upgrade. Take for instance, telling them that I'm a bus conductor will reduce my influence in the forum where we meet. You know that bus conductor will surely curse people in a day, or if you say you carry loads at building sites, you won't have the energy to argue saying, "And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness--secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name."(Isaiah 45:3) You can prove that you have enough knowledge to utilize non-conventional feed resources to raise pigs that will pass carcass quality test during meat inspection, and be bold enough to say you presently hunt for scrap metals. It's not everything that can be revealed on the Internet because you will not understand some of them. If you are a Christian, and I start using Hadiths to prevent a case; you won't understand.
you strike me as a great mind, you just did sound philosophical. Mind if we familiarise besides on here. What's your watsapp number bro?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Raintaker(m): 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2017
Beosten:

Tell them say u be conductor or bricklayer na.
They might hook you up with something better and also help your BIG IDEA.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by mercy0008(f): 2:29pm On Oct 11, 2017
I love this OP.
As much as I wish I had an advise, I wish you the best of luck.
Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by freshkik(m): 7:58pm On Oct 11, 2017
This Op is intelligent and if you're smart you ll understand or atleast have an idea. The Op gave an example of a building contract borrowing money to buy a car bla bla bla, actually a neighbors brother started like that and so does, the bigger the kinda contract , the classier he appears,... given wrong impression via body language is different from lieing, life is not black and white.... Op as far as you are genuine n u have a great plan u foresee succeeding when you get the financial support, imo i'd say carry on the packaging bt keep developing yourself....
you sounded like someone that have come across the book '48 laws of power'..... if not, then u indirectly applying one of the first four laws.... its a great book i just came across recently.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by freshkik(m): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2017
Pearl05:

lol, dear life isn't black and white, and you're wrong some jobs are shameful depending on the setting you are,

for example you can't be running an insurance company or a financial investment company with a capital of $10k in a gathering of potential top investors and when you're ask your based capital and you just go n tell them $10k , lol... jst kiss your chance good bye, its better to focus on your strong points, trust me, they know

2nd example: you are in a classroom 1 guy comes in cover with sweat, rumpled shirt, quite disorganized , takes bout a great investment, where u put in 100k n get 20% monthly .. n how he has made alot of money from it in over 2yrs....

Ok number 2 guy comes, decked in suit smiley well ironed, good shoes. packs his car just by the hall n works in, briefly talkes bout some great stuffs he has accomplished..... n talks bout a 100k investment where you get 15% monthly, even tells u it might hv hrd its risky but he has 100% fate, n points to his ride outside as one of d stuffs he bought from what he accomplished in jst 2yrs in the business

....afterthought: the 2 guys where truthful and so obviously the 1st guy has made more money, prolly doesn't realise d importance of physical presentation n just feel his eloquent speech ll do it for him.....the 2nd guy package welll, not bcoz he doesnt have other better stuffs to do with money bt bcoz he understands d importance
now do you know 99% (atleast) of d ppl in that class we choose d 2nd guy including YOU smiley

...why do you think they have standard strategic marketing/distribution companies?

* I CAN GIVE YOU A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF A COMPANY PRODUCING A PRODUCT (a product that many ppl n probably you have come across its supposed direct competitors n ignored alot lol) this product was in the market for about 5 years, n then signed up with a good marketing and distribution company with individuals with great well known track records and in its FIRST YEAR of the partnership, sold more therefore making more profit dan they made in 5 previous years put togeda...... lool, so u see *PACKAGING* a product that the last tym i checked (which is over a year i did follow up) had entered UK market n where bout entering US market

......n d misery product in a HERBAL MEDICINE lol, so u see btw this herbal medicine im talking bout n d other Goko n d rest sold, what do u tink is d difference..... the one im talking bout weren't just going to say... *E DEY CURE THIS, HE DEY CURE DAT* LOL. they had to do network marketing, repackaging, promoting, seminars n a whole lot.... they had to brand in a world class way, instead of acting like d others

.....LOL sori for my long mssg tho, i just hope you get the point i was tryna make, tk cr

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Pearl05(f): 10:25pm On Oct 11, 2017
freshkik:

lol, dear life isn't black and white, and you're wrong some jobs are shameful depending on the setting you are,

for example you can't be running an insurance company or a financial investment company with a capital of $10k in a gathering of potential top investors and when you're ask your based capital and you just go n tell them $10k , lol... jst kiss your chance good bye, its better to focus on your strong points, trust me, they know

2nd example: you are in a classroom 1 guy comes in cover with sweat, rumpled shirt, quite disorganized , takes bout a great investment, where u put in 100k n get 20% monthly .. n how he has made alot of money from it in over 2yrs....

Ok number 2 guy comes, decked in suit smiley well ironed, good shoes. packs his car just by the hall n works in, briefly talkes bout some great stuffs he has accomplished..... n talks bout a 100k investment where you get 15% monthly, even tells u it might hv hrd its risky but he has 100% fate, n points to his ride outside as one of d stuffs he bought from what he accomplished in jst 2yrs in the business

....afterthought: the 2 guys where truthful and so obviously the 1st guy has made more money, prolly doesn't realise d importance of physical presentation n just feel his eloquent speech ll do it for him.....the 2nd guy package welll, not bcoz he doesnt have other better stuffs to do with money bt bcoz he understands d importance
now do you know 99% (atleast) of d ppl in that class we choose d 2nd guy including YOU smiley

...why do you think they have standard strategic marketing/distribution companies?

* I CAN GIVE YOU A VERY GOOD EXAMPLE OF A COMPANY PRODUCING A PRODUCT (a product that many ppl n probably you have come across its supposed direct competitors n ignored alot lol) this product was in the market for about 5 years, n then signed up with a good marketing and distribution company with individuals with great well known track records and in its FIRST YEAR of the partnership, sold more therefore making more profit dan they made in 5 previous years put togeda...... lool, so u see *PACKAGING* a product that the last tym i checked (which is over a year i did follow up) had entered UK market n where bout entering US market

......n d misery product in a HERBAL MEDICINE lol, so u see btw this herbal medicine im talking bout n d other Goko n d rest sold, what do u tink is d difference..... the one im talking bout weren't just going to say... *E DEY CURE THIS, HE DEY CURE DAT* LOL. they had to do network marketing, repackaging, promoting, seminars n a whole lot.... they had to brand in a world class way, instead of acting like d others

.....LOL sori for my long mssg tho, i just hope you get the point i was tryna make, tk cr

You didn't get the content well. Go through it again. I'm not against packaging, but being ashamed of what puts food on the table. Dignity in legitimate labour.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Bism(m): 11:07pm On Oct 11, 2017
I really understand the word shameful job for a graduate. And some people are saying that if he is not proud of the job, is not what doing. I beg na you go feed am. Job that you do that you cannot tell your fellow colleagues at work your qualification so that they dont look down on your degree or capabilities is shameful. I am a big time huslter and they are some really shameful jobs I do that i hide my academic background so that pages of newspaper will not publish it. I tell you this for a fact.why employers of labour continue to berate graduate certificate is because of lack of good job that befit the qualification. So they say " is it not a graduate that is riding okada, if you dont want the # 20000 you can look for another place". That the crux of the matter. My guy pray and work hard, dont put your hope on any man God will send a helper to you soon.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by 48noble(m): 5:24am On Oct 12, 2017
ol boy tell ur neighborhood what u do less u be tagged kidnapper...see something say something... i don dey go my house.
Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by freshkik(m): 8:09am On Oct 12, 2017
Pearl05:

You didn't get the content well. Go through it again. I'm not against packaging, but being ashamed of what puts food on the table. Dignity in legitimate labour.

i actually did get it, but i still went through to still be sure n its the same.

i actually understand the Op and i do understand your point dear, but don't just agree with only 2 points you stated

1.) u said there is no legitimate job that is shameful , well actually there are mane esp in 9ja

2.) you said he should be bold enough to state anything he does for a living when ask, ....theoretically well maybe, but stuffs don't work like that in the real world, how ll you advice him to present that on the table straight forward when it's gonna be detrimental to his opportunities..... as far as he isn't lying, no p, even God sef go vex for am.

i gave some examples in my previous mssg, which you prolly didnt get, but i'll still give one.

1,) "C.V" -if 2 engineering graduate are applying for a JOB in an oil and gas firm, 1 graduates with a 1st class and the other with a 2nd class-lower and they both meet
some one that specializes in writing CV, .....this is what a good CV writer ll do,- [the one with a 1st class degree ll have something like this "I GRADUATED WITH A 1ST CLASS DEGREE FROM SO N SO UNI... " while the one with a 2.2 will get something like "I GRADUATED WITH A B.Eng FROM SO N SO UNI... " n more interest placed on his skills n experience ]

--can you spot the difference 1 class is a strong point so its stated... while 2.2 is actually kinda a disadvantage n detrimental to the student's chance of getting that job and so its omitted. n his skills n experience is highlighted more

--- its not dishonesty dear

[n just to clarify something, him having the ability to present n show case more of his stronger side (i.e his superior opinions in d whatsapp group) while suppressing his weaker side (i.e his present job in this situation) is a form of packaging too, same with the CV example i just gave).
well if you still don't get point den i guess we gat 2 different 'realistic' opinions bout that, and i respect yours

15 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by DanielsParker(m): 8:26am On Oct 12, 2017
ok
Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by CriticMaestro: 8:27am On Oct 12, 2017
They always say: do whatever u must to become that man you wish to be tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by patyowr: 8:27am On Oct 12, 2017
Hmmm

What do I even have to say?

Wait, let's meet in Russia 2018 in East Germany in za oza vroom in London in Aso Rock
Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by mcayomind: 8:28am On Oct 12, 2017
why can't you just tell 'em your hustle if you are so sure its legitimate

1 Like

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by deepwater(f): 8:28am On Oct 12, 2017
OP your post was the last I read last night and the first I read this morning, still I can not figure out your point exactly. Your talk they go jaga jaga, just when I think I am understanding you, you jump to a completely different line.

Perhaps you ways are jaga jaga, so big people around you do not feel comfortable so they ask you all the time - What do you do for a living

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Big People Around Me Ask For My Means Of Livelihood? by Houseofglam7(f): 8:28am On Oct 12, 2017
You must be living in Abuja....... na packaging headquarters be dat

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Npower: Shortlisted Candidates Please Share Your State / U.S. Embassy In Nigeria Massive Job Recruitment (30 Positions) / Awaiting NNPC Email Invitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.