Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,590 members, 7,801,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:15 PM

Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session (9245 Views)

Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching / Coronavirus: Kwara Govt To Shut Down Schools From March 23 / JAMB Makes N8.5 Billion From 2018 Admission Forms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by oodua1stson: 10:06am On Oct 11, 2017
Wait oo.......was history scraped before? Cos last time I was in secondary school history was a subject shocked
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Epositive(m): 10:43am On Oct 11, 2017
OtemAtum:
This is a fulfillment to a thummim of the light of GOD. Thanks to nature. Meanwhile, if you are an Ebira person out there, the full history of the EBIRA ORIGIN many millions of years from the time of the Homo Erectuses is available at this link. Very soon, nature will raise other people in Nigeria to bring the full history of other tribes in it to us so that you can stop taking the foreign and imported gods and ancestors as your gods and ancestors.
https://www.nairaland.com/3990875/genealogy-otem-blueangel444-see

are you ebira? i will go through that link cool
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by ivolt: 10:47am On Oct 11, 2017
sKy007:
Hope they are not going to teach the kids that Mungo Park discovered River Niger

What is wrong with that?
Discovery doesn't mean invent or create,
neither does it mean that the discoverer is the
first to observe the phenomenon.

It just means that Mr. X was the first to bring it
to the attention of a large audience.
If you are aware of any description of river Niger's
flow, source and tributaries before Park, kindly provide your
reference.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by seyisolu(m): 11:22am On Oct 11, 2017
kay29000:
This is definitely a good move. Too many people online are trying to rewrite history, and most people believe anything they read online. With this, at least the kids will get to know the real unbiased history of their country.

Who is going to write it, is it the people who witnessed the said events or people who the stories were told?

It is very annoying to later realise that the same names you will read in the history of events that happened decades ago are still in power. The same people who will see it unrealistic for youths to gain political power because of reasons best known to them.

I think the tales would still be biased, because it has always been one-sided.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 11, 2017
Isaacmacdon:
Greatest mistake? Did you think you'd get any better without the colonial masters? Go and ask Ethiopia how far. They'd give you a 1001 reason why a country needs colonialism.
Colonialism is bad! Don't make yourself inferior to your country past colonial master by saying colonialism is good. Yes, they did indeed built some infrastructures, but they were intended for their own settlers not for the locals. And they also impose their cultures, taken your resources and demoralized the moral of the locals.

I'm Ethiopian and very proud of my ancestors deeds in defending my country from colonialism. It's was through their blood and bone that I'm now on a daily basis speaking my own language, write through our alphabet and generally follow my own culture.

Some colonized ppl like most Nigerians for example didn't forgot their respective ethnic cultures, but British culture was imposed on them on a certain extent.

Nigeria, Ethiopia (similar degrading term like Negro), Eritrea, Africa and some others are White men words. It's very sad that we didn't changed it by our own names.

I can give you 1001 reasons why colonialism is bad.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 11, 2017
baysol:

Simple, People who get to power by crooked means through nepotism, quota system, etc will always goof. The greatest goof yet in the history of Nigeria is the removal of History from the curriculum for whatever reason be it self serving political etc. Let heads be visible seen to roll for this unwholesome shenanigan. This country has been misruled, mislead, misdirected and mismanaged by unpatriotic element and parasites(like Atiku, Saraki, Omishore, Kashamu, Fayoshe, Donald duke, Okorocha, kwakwanso etc) and yet some more parasites are waiting on the wings for cheap appointment into power by naïve nonchalant Nigerians who did not do their home work on potential leaders that lack credibility in all ramifications, and how to vote these out of power.
in as much as you're right but in this incumbent facist regime that parades itself under the facade of Democracy, the voice of the masses are the voice of the minorities so hence public opinion doesn't count
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by iamawara(m): 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2017
Femistico:
Are you an historian
yes I am
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by spreado(m): 1:39pm On Oct 11, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Why did they scrap it earlier?
History Subject is indispensable in the school's curriculum as it makes the student acquainted with the past and history of Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
The children need to be taught how Ojukwu Deceived the igbos which led to their massacre during the civil war of 1967
For your mind, that's the only history in Nigeria. SMH
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Ganjafama(m): 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2017
I believe Nigerian universities offer archaeology as a course. How can you excel in archaeology when one has no basic knowledge of history? Nigeria is a failed country.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Nigeriadondie: 4:22pm On Oct 11, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
History Subject is indispensable in the school's curriculum as it makes the student acquainted with the past and history of Nigeria and Africa as a whole.
The children need to be taught how Ojukwu Deceived the igbos which led to their massacre during the civil war of 1967
And how the north massacred igbo in 1966 during the imfamous ‘Araba riots’ as well as the mindless massacre of innocent civilians in Asaba by the bloodthirsty Nigerian Army, how Baba Awo drank rat poison and became the president we never had as well as how the northern power used their southern bootlickers to fight a war of ‘unity’. At least people like u wud know that the first people to attempt secession was not the igbos but the northern hausa-fulani masters who turned around over night to ‘One Nigeria’ thanks to d British
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by saintneo(m): 4:33pm On Oct 11, 2017
GrandFinale2017:

Sorry for your loss.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Nnamdiojukwu: 7:03pm On Oct 11, 2017
Lilimax:
Why was it scrapped in the first place undecided

But to be honest I dislike that subject HISTORY in my secondary school days cos the notes are so long undecided.

Give me Calculations anytime any day smiley
And I hate everything about maths that's why I studied History at nce level and in last jamb I blindly chose History/international studies not knowing that they scrapped it,now iam celebrating.

I love History.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:09pm On Oct 11, 2017
Laudable development. For we historians, its finally time for us to take our place, and for Nigeria it will bring about meaningful changes.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:13pm On Oct 11, 2017
seyisolu:

Who is going to write it, is it the people who witnessed the said events or people who the stories were told?

It is very annoying to later realise that the same names you will read in the history of events that happened decades ago are still in power. The same people who will see it unrealistic for youths to gain political power because of reasons best known to them.

I think the tales would still be biased, because it has always been one-sided.
That's still the major problem plaguing history. The issue of objectivity.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
oodua1stson:
Wait oo.......was history scraped before? Cos last time I was in secondary school history was a subject shocked
It was in the curriculum for long, though very irrelevant, but was finally officially expunged I think in the 09/10 school year.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:19pm On Oct 11, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
There is more to the Ojukwu debacle if one wants to be objective at least to some extent...there were many intrigues at play as at then.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:20pm On Oct 11, 2017
kay29000:
This is definitely a good move. Too many people online are trying to rewrite history, and most people believe anything they read online. With this, at least the kids will get to know the real unbiased history of their country.
I concur.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:25pm On Oct 11, 2017
udumosam23:
They should model the history topics to make it more relevant. More attention should be given to political history with the aim of improving our political culture.

Ethnic/cultural history to be tought without bias or projecting one culture above another. Historical mistakes should also be pointed out when or where necessary and right approach/action be informed in case of present or future occurance.

This is to say, the sole purpose for history should be to inform the present in order to correct or shapen the future.

History shouldn't be limited to mongo park or lugard era. Events after independence and our political and social developments should form a major part of the history topics.

Stop teaching my children how the white man colonize the black man, making him keep looking inferior thereby, subjecting him to low self exteem.
True, and this has led to the recent clamour for changes in the curriculum by some academics in Nigerian history who have continually questioned the relevance of our present school history.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by WOCKHARDI(m): 10:31pm On Oct 11, 2017
Any history of Nigeria will be incomplete/false if fails to discuss the "Aburi Accord " and why/how its non implementation led to the creation of Biafra and consequently the Biafra /Nigeria war. Abi na lie? Remember the slogan "ON ABURI WE STAND"?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by DengXioping(m): 10:45pm On Oct 11, 2017
hucienda:
Why was it removed in the first place?
It wasn't removed officially at the senior levels, but fizzled out at the junior levels following the 1969 National Curriculum Conference which led to the introduction of the 6-3-3-4 education system which introduced Social Studies as an alternative and led to the elimination of history at the primary and junior secondary levels. So officially history at the primary and junior secondary levels was crammed into Social Studies. This development also was to affect history at the senior secondary levels leading to its eventual effacement unofficially.
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Raymonddam(m): 3:04am On Oct 12, 2017
I have infinix x551 and wiko Lenny 2 to sell as. Scrap.....call 08105283692
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by hucienda: 5:07am On Oct 12, 2017
DengXioping:

It wasn't removed officially at the senior levels, but fizzled out at the junior levels following the 1969 National Curriculum Conference which led to the introduction of the 6-3-3-4 education system which introduced Social Studies as an alternative and led to the elimination of history at the primary and junior secondary levels. So officially history at the primary and junior secondary levels was crammed into Social Studies. This development also was to affect history at the senior secondary levels leading to its eventual effacement unofficially.

Thanks man.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by oodua1stson: 9:33am On Oct 12, 2017
DengXioping:

It was in the curriculum for long, though very irrelevant, but was finally officially expunged I think in the 09/10 school year.
na wa then
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by recruit4real(m): 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2017
GrandFinale2017:
Something is wrong with you. I know you finish that weed you took this morning
Common, get some sense.

Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 9:01pm On Oct 16, 2017
Proffdada:
you don't know your history
You should have educate me on fodio extremist, rather than claiming what you don't know
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Proffdada: 9:10pm On Oct 16, 2017
Proffwhyhurry12:
You should have educate educated me on fodio extremist, rather than claiming what you don't know
fixed
Re: Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session by Proffwhyhurry12(m): 5:34am On Oct 17, 2017
Proffdada:
fixed
Your error

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Checkout Top 10 Most Expensive Secondary Schools In Nigeria / BIMS Success Stories And Its Impact On Students At UNILORIN And UNILAG / A Yabatech Student?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.