Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! (19505 Views)

Are Ceiling Fans Going Extinct? / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 2:36pm On Feb 19, 2007
I am from a tribe called Uneme
Located at the Northern part of Edo state

and we speak a language by that name or 'Ineme'
it is one of the Edoid languages,

We number only about 25,000
and i don't think in the nearest future that number is going to increase

i don't kno who to blame;
My Parents
Our fore-fathers
or
the 'White Men'

Most of my generation can't evn speak the Language,
What a Dilemma
Soon my Tribe would be non-existent with no history watsoever
Gotta Do smthing

Someone out there
Someone serious
Some Advice!!

2 Likes

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by 2Legit: 3:36pm On Feb 19, 2007
quick, let's start procreation and teahing them to speak the lingo wink
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Hero(m): 5:35pm On Feb 19, 2007
Who is the largest Edoid group? The Bini? How is it that the Edoids descended so fast from being possibly the most influential group in Nigeria during the stand of the Benin Kingdom/Empire to being a group with nearly no influential power in Nigerian politics today? The span in time between then and now is not all that great. That was a rather rapid descent. The Bini were once a dominant very powerful group in Nigeria, who's political stability and militaristic size of hundreds of thousands in rank, and obedience of raved precision and professionalism by the Portuguese, made advisories shiver and serenader upon their very presence upon their lands, and now one hardly ever hears about them.

How is it that a people with millenia of success at running one of the worlds most organised and revered civilizations can have NO political influence in Nigeria today? It would seem obvious to me that the Nigerian project would have attempted to tap into this groups wealth of political organization knowledge in the grass roots of the development of this nation.

2 Likes

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 6:44pm On Feb 19, 2007
lol@2legit

@Hero
i really dont understand where you are coming from,
But the thing is; most of my tribe people didnt allow
inter-Marriage, they wanted their skill secret to be kept
within the tribe,
But as modernity dawned on us, people started inter marryin
i guess thats when things, cultural values began to get misplaced

You can hardly see two 'Unemes' marry these days
i kno my husband wont be Uneme Sef,
Both my Parents are , but thats where it ends
i dont kno any one of my generation that have married 'Uneme-Uneme'

God Help Us.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Seun(m): 6:53pm On Feb 19, 2007
Soon my Tribe would be non-existent with no history watsoever
Gotta Do smthing
Languages and cultures are not mean to last forever. They are meant to be transformed by every generation.
Write a book about your tribe and your culture, and it will exist forever in libraries, as a source of knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 19, 2007
I always thought Unemes were Bini people anyway!

Who is the largest Edoid group? The Bini? How is it that the Edoids descended so fast from being possibly the most influential group in Nigeria during the stand of the Benin Kingdom/Empire to being a group with nearly no influential power in Nigerian politics today? The span in time between then and now is not all that great. That was a rather rapid descent. The Bini were once a dominant very powerful group in Nigeria, who's political stability and militaristic size of hundreds of thousands in rank, and obedience of raved precision and professionalism by the Portuguese, made advisories shiver and serenader upon their very presence upon their lands, and now one hardly ever hears about them.

How is it that a people with millenia of success at running one of the worlds most organised and revered civilizations can have NO political influence in Nigeria today? It would seem obvious to me that the Nigerian project would have attempted to tap into this groups wealth of political organization knowledge in the grass roots of the development of this nation.

Stop bastardizing history, they were only dominant in the area where they occupied. When they were married with other groups, they are easily outnumbered.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 7:13pm On Feb 19, 2007
I always thought Unemes were Bini people anyway!
well we r not

@Seun
yeah,, i guess writing a book will do smthing
but then, u can sit pretty cos yoruba dosnt look like its goina fade any moment frm now.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Seun(m): 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2007
I would not be bothered even if Yoruba was going to fade. My identity is independent of my grandparents' culture.

1 Like

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:04pm On Feb 19, 2007
Wundaful to hear Seun
but dont u have a Sense of Family roots
u want to be alone in this world
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by naijacutee(f): 9:53pm On Feb 19, 2007
I should be ashamed of myself. . . This is the first time I've ever heard aabout a tribe called 'Uneme'. Girl, you better do something . . . FAST!

Lets start a campaign. I'm behind you a 100% wink
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 1:26pm On Feb 20, 2007
Naijacutee,
thanks oh grin
im ashamed of myself too cos im among the generation that can't evn speak the lingo
i understand a few words but it just aint enoff undecided

God Help US

I Dont Want To BE EXtinct!!!!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Planner(m): 3:00pm On Feb 20, 2007
would not be bothered even if Yoruba was going to fade.  My identity is independent of my grandparents' culture.

Seun, culture is mearnt to last forever, otherwise God will not have created it in the first place. It is essence of who we are. It is our wholeness. So for you to say that you do care about your parent's culture is not too correct.

Gamine,
I think the world is going back to Babel language-wise. There are so many languages that are endangered. Blame it on the English language! However, like someone said try and document it both sound and written. If you can, pesuade the politicians to teach the language in the your area at the primary school level as a second laguage. It will help in creating awareness. Hopefully it may become a widely spoken language like welsh and hebrew.

Good luck.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Planner(m): 3:07pm On Feb 20, 2007
would not be bothered even if Yoruba was going to fade.  My identity is independent of my grandparents' culture.

Seun, culture is mearnt to last forever, otherwise God will not have created it in the first place. It is essence of who we are. It is our wholeness. So for you to say that you do care about your parent's culture is not too correct.

Gamine,
I think the world is going back to Babel language-wise. There are so many languages that are endangered. Blame it on the English language! However, like someone said try and document it both sound and written. If you can, pesuade the politicians to teach the language in the your area at the primary school level as a second laguage. It will help in creating awareness. Hopefully it may become a widely spoken language like welsh and hebrew.

Good luck.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:05pm On Feb 20, 2007
There are 24 major Edoid dialects in Nigeria

1. ADUGE [ADU]. Kwara State, Oyi LGA.

2. DEGEMA. Rivers State, Degema LGA. Dialects: ATALA, USOKUN (KALA DEGEMA).

3. EDO (BINI, BENIN, ADDO, OVIEDO, OVIOBA) Bendel State, Ovia, Oredo, and Orhionmwon LGA's.

4. EMAI-IULEHA-ORA (KUNIBUM, IVBIOSAKON) [EMA] Dialects: IVHIMION, EMAI, IULEHA, ORA. Dialect cluster.

5. ENGENNI (NGENE, EGENE) [ENN]. Rivers State, Ahoada and YenagoaLGA's. Dialects: EDIRO, INEDUA, OGUA.

6. EPIE (EPIE-ATISSA) [EPI]. Rivers State, Yenagoa LGA. Dialect: ATISA (ATISSA). Most speakers are bilingual in Ijo.

7. ERUWA (EROHWA, ERAKWA, AROKWA) [ERH] Bendel State, Isoko LGA. Related to Urhobo. Most speakers are bilingual in Central Isoko, which is replacing Eruwa. Not intelligible with any Isoko dialect.

8. ESAN (ISHAN, ISA, ESA, ANWAIN) [ISH] Bendel State, Agbazilo, Okpebho LGA's. Dialects: EKPON, IGUEBEN. Many dialects, apparently inherently intelligible.

9. GHOTUO (OTWA, OTUO) [AAA]. Edo State, Owan and Akoko-Edo LGA's.

10. IKPESHI (IKPESHE, EKPESHE) [IKP] Bendel State, Etsako LGA.

11. ISOKO Delta State, Isoko and Ndokwa LGA's.
12. IVBIE NORTH-OKPELA-ARHE [ATG]. Edo State, Etsako and Akoko-Edo LGA's. Dialects: IVBIE NORTH (IBIE NORTH), OKPELA (OKPELLA, UKPELLA, UPELLA), ARHE (ATTE, ATE).

13. IYAYU (IDOANI) [IYA]. Ondo State, one-quarter of Idoani town. The people are sometimes called 'Idoani'.

14. OKPAMHERI (OPAMERI) [OPA]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects:OKULOSHO (OKUROSHO), WESTERN OKPAMHERI, EMHALHE (EMARLE, SOMORIKA,SEMOLIKA). Subdialects of Okulosho: Ojirami (Eekunu),Dagbala (Dangbala), Oja (Oza), Makeke (Uuma), Oma. Subdialects of WesternOkpamheri: Ekpe, Bekuma, Lankpese (Lampese, Lankpeshi), Ibillo (Ibilo), Imoga (Imorga, Uma), Eko (Ekon, Ekor), Ikaran-Oke(Ikeram-Oke), Ebunn-Oke, Ikaran-Ele (Ikeran-Ile, Ebunn-Ugbo, Ikpesa,Igbo-Ola-Sale (Ugboshi-Sale), Aiyegunle (Oshi), Igbo-Ola-Oke(Ugboshi-Oke), Onumo (Onumu), Ogugu, Ogbe-Sale, Ogbe-Oke. Emhalhe may be a separate language.

15. OKPE [OKE]. Delta State, Okpe LGA. Distinct from Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku, which is Northwestern Edoid.

16. OKPE-IDESA-OLOMA-AKUKU [OKP] Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects:OKPE, IDESA, OLOMA, AKUKU. Oloma may be a separate language. Differentfrom Okpe which is Southwestern Edoid.

17. OSOSO [OSS]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

18. SASARU-ENWAN IGWE (SASARU) [SSC]. Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA.

19. UHAMI (ISHUA) [UHA]. Ondo State, Akoko South and Owo LGA's.

20. UKUE-EHUEN (EKPENMI, EKPENMEN, EPINMI) [UKU] including Ehuen, Ukue. Ondo State, Akoko South LGA. Dialects: UKUE, EHUEN. Crozier andBlench 1992 treat Ukue and Ehuen as separate languages.

21. UNEME (ULEME, ILEME, INEME) [UNE]. Edo State, Etsako, Agbazilo, and Akoko-Edo LGA's. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee.

22. URHOBO. Delta State, Ethiope and Ughelli LGA's. Dialects: AGBARHO, ISOKO

23. UVBIE ("EVHRO", UVHRIA, UVWIE, EVRIE, EFFURUN). Delta State, Ethiope LGA. Related to Urhobo.

24. YEKHEE (ETSAKO, ETSAKOR, AFENMAI, IYEKHEE, "KUKURUKU"wink. Edo State,Etsako, Agbako, and Okpebho LGA's. Ghotuo-Uneme-Yekhee. Dialects: AUCHI, UZAIRUE, SOUTH IBIE, UWEPA-UWANO (WEPPA WANO), AVIANWU (FUGAR),AVIELE, IVHIADAOBI.

2 Likes

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by naijacutee(f): 8:17pm On Feb 20, 2007
I'm a bit curious about No.2

I didn't know Degema was a dialect. If it's the Degema I know, then it's a small offshore town in Rivers state that speaks the language Kalabari. I know that because my mum (and cute-ass's grandmother) grew up there. smiley
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:37pm On Feb 20, 2007
it sure is ,
and thats all i cld find on Edo and Edoid languages
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Drusilla(f): 9:24pm On Feb 20, 2007
Gamine,

I am going to keep it real with you. You say you got a serious problem.

I see you got access to the internet.

In a word: Technology. Record your tribe.

How do you get the funding to do such a thing? Camera's paid for etc, eh?

I don't know maybe start a writing campaign to Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby, Bill Clinton, Puff Daddy, etc. All of them have freely available emails and contact address's over the web.

Sumthin like the whiteboy did in the movie: Shawshank redemption. A letter a day.

When the time comes, what you have written, recorded, put in pictures will be in Muesems. Your tribe may not survive but the memory of them will.

I know the Continental African anscestors of mine, who first entered America, would be shocked to see the way their works are treated as treasures in this modern world.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 9:33pm On Feb 20, 2007
thanks, Drusilla

I see you got access to the internet.

why r u talkn like i just jumped outta the bush shocked embarassed

yeah i guess i'll try as much as possible to record them
and to publish anything i can find

i see , i see , i see smiley
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Drusilla(f): 9:37pm On Feb 20, 2007
Gamine,

Sorry, I was just saying from my position, I think you have the power in your hands to help with this problem. I meant no harm.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 9:41pm On Feb 20, 2007
i guess embarassed

i no u meant no harm smiley

im still in sch and i have a lot of personal projects
i think i'lll just add this to the list and try to generate interest in my group

thanks tho smiley
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Seun(m): 9:57pm On Feb 20, 2007
You can create a website about the tribe, too. Or a blog on blogger.com.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Drusilla(f): 10:10pm On Feb 20, 2007
Gamine,

No problem. I just want to be careful not to trivialize what must be a hard issue for you.

Your welcome. Smile.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 10:17pm On Feb 20, 2007
im smiling smiley smiley smiley
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 12:41pm On Feb 22, 2007
This beautiful piece, 16th century
called Iyoba smiley

1 Like

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by stranger12: 1:47pm On Feb 22, 2007
. . and its in a foreign museum.

It was stolen from Nigeria by the colonialists
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 6:00pm On Feb 22, 2007
Yeah,
they stole it
they also crumbled our civilization

1 Like

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by cuteass1(f): 11:51pm On Feb 22, 2007
@ Gamine
Honey, i'm so proud of you, just for the fact that you're trying to keep your roots alive,its not easy. But hey should anything happen and you guys end up going extinct, go with your shoulders high because you did try to make a differnce, that's a genius act which makes you a genius. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope your heart's desire be fulfilled, AMEN wink

@ naijacutee
Sweetheart, i didn't acyually know that, now i'm more convinced than ever that we have to take that vaccation together so you can fill me in on some of our family background, i'm lost,,,,,,,, grin
Now expect my mail soonest, just had to collect full data to come up with our usual read-til-your-eyes-buldge mails,,,,hehehe
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Nobody: 2:27am On Feb 23, 2007
@Gamine

Last I checked, that face was from Bini!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by texazzpete(m): 9:13am On Feb 23, 2007
Yup, that looks like some bini stuff.

I too can't speak my lingo. But i don't feel the loss as keenly as gamine probably does. it's just one of those things that one never gets to do, besides, i never was one for the village scene.

Word is, My granny told my mum ot to bring us (the kids) to the village for fear of witchcraft. an entirely laughable reason, i admit, but works for me!

and no, i dont think i'll go 'extinct' even if my tribe fades into obscurity
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 6:13pm On Feb 23, 2007
@Donzman, yeah
its bini
but we originated from the same pot,

Thanks so much Cute-ass
its not easy smiley

Texazzpete,
i just want to be able to have a root in my lineage
i dont know, if they fade into obscurity,
i do hope to do smthing that wld atleast make it known that
there was once a tribe Uneme, strong and proud keepers of the land

im goina get the link for the full history of the Edo people , u'll be surprised at whut u read.

1 Like

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by naijacutee(f): 2:00am On Feb 24, 2007
cute-ass:

@ naijacutee
Sweetheart, i didn't acyually know that, now i'm more convinced than ever that we have to take that vaccation together so you can fill me in on some of our family background, i'm lost,,,,,,,, grin
Now expect my mail soonest, just had to collect full data to come up with our usual read-til-your-eyes-buldge mails,,,,hehehe

Ssup gurlie grin kiss Remember when we were younger, my mum used to go over to your house to see your grandma and they'll be speaking in Kalabari and everyone else would be like "What the heck are they speaking in?". . . This was a looooooooooong time ago, we must have been like 6 then. . . Wait, I'm a few months older than you so you must have been about 5. . .or so. . . I'm not too sure now tongue Hehehe I hope our "little vacation" works out. Hmmm, I'm expecting your e-mail, then. I'm tempted to get bullet-proof glasses for this one! tongue
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by abdkabir(m): 12:13am On Mar 03, 2007
Interesting Topic.

"Uneme" sounds like "Onome" shocked shocked shocked. I'm sure i've got some of the ppls Blood. Anyway @Gamine, u really shouldn't be too worried in da xtinction of your ethnic group, after all da Uneme Blood is preserved in the various mixed marriages d uneme's have been involved in.

Fashi all that preservation of pure tribal ancestry, who's pure even self, i claim to be Yoruba and i just might have some "Fulani" ,"Igbira","Takpa", ""Igbo" or "Uneme" Blood grin grin grin.

Moreover, the strong cultural relationship between da yorubas and the Binis/Edos is another reason u shouldn't bother. your blood line definately is preserved in the yoruba and vice versa. Remember the "Oranmiyan" Story.

End of Story, 4 me , nothings equals being a universal citizen, made up of various cultural traits from around da world.

The more reason u should consider marrying me. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Ooni Of Ife Speaks At School Of Oriental & African Studies,London(photos) / Pako Biscuit Generation Vs Indomie Generation

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.