Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! (19506 Views)

Are Ceiling Fans Going Extinct? / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 2:07pm On Dec 16, 2007
lol

Full for italy?

since when did Unemes start going to Italy

the only two countries aside Nigeria they know is

Canada and Britain

So mr man, get ur facts ryt! cheesy
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 5:22am On Dec 17, 2007
bros, no pour sand sand for my garri ooooo, i still dey try toast this babe to be mine oooooo. my dearest gamine, the only sugar in my tea, etc, without u i go kpeme oooooo; without u i can't bring back the glory of the Unemes, so please, come to me, be mine for ever grin grin grin

presido1:

dey full for italo doing dia thing. Una population na 25 including you, you come de mess with Imo thread.

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 12:15pm On Jan 04, 2008
indeed undecided
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 7:59am On Jan 05, 2008
sweetest heart ever, happy new yr. our new yr resolution is to get married and save Unemes from extinction, right? grin grin grin grin

Gamine:

indeed undecided
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 7:12pm On Jan 09, 2008
Na2day

Na today!
Dream on! grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 7:38am On Jan 10, 2008
dreams come through my dear grin grin grin grin

Gamine:

Na2day

Na today!
Dream on! grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2008
Dreams come through?

through where?

I have a dream catcher, so dont even risk it! cool
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 8:39am On Jan 11, 2008
what is life without risk. i am doing this all for your love my dear wink 2008 is our yr of saving our glorious tribe grin grin grin

Gamine:

Dreams come through?

through where?

I have a dream catcher, so don't even risk it! cool
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 1:21am On Jan 13, 2008
ok ok

lets save it!

hooray!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 3:51am On Jan 14, 2008
God surely answer prayers. my sweetest uneme, my heart is filled with love and service to our good people and u. now that the task is placed squarely on our shoulders, i promise u we wont fail, and u wont be disappointed wink wink oya, give me your number, email address etc, we got a tribe to save grin grin grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 4:30am On Jan 14, 2008
WOW, that was all i could say when i saw your pic. i just decided to check your profile and then your blog and i saw your pics and i was stone shocked. i didnt know u were half as beautiful, i did have saved this tribe long before now. oya, oya, we don't have any more time to waste, lets get down to serious business. cool cool

FYI: your beauty finally brings the argument to rest. there is only creation and not evolution because such beauty can not be a product of evolution but strictly creation. but wait oooo, when i look at some naija babes face, them really resemble wetin evolution fit cause; anywayz, i am finally carrying an african queen to my mama, e easy? grin grin grin grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by omoovie(f): 3:47pm On Apr 17, 2008
Part of the problem is the rape of Benin that occurred in the early 20th century. All those artifacts are entrenched in the British museum and I don't think we will be seeing any of them soon except through a detached glass box. Why do white people like to box things in? The second problem is our previous generation and ours. Our parents by virtue of being the more western educated generation as well as being survivors of war taught their children what they think they need to survive - no parent these days actively seeks to teach their children their language because they feel it's not a necessity to survive and that means so many languages, cultures and ideals are dying. I'm afraid for Urhobos and we are over 1/2 a million. I don't speak Urhobo, Igbo or Edo. I took it upon myself to learn a Nigerian language but the only one available to me over here is Hausa so I'm learning Hausa.

My advice:

Record WHATEVER you can about your culture whether online or on paper (Urhobos have www.waado.org). If you need help with the web part, I can give you some pointers. Record! record! record! Record historically significant dates, places, times, creation myths, songs, celebrations, pictures of Uneme people performing various rites, et cetera. Who knows, you might be the saviour of the Uneme. You can start off where that book earlier in the post left off (i.e. start recording Uneme history from 1962)

Good luck oh. I feel your pain. I'm going back home to study my mum's people and drink it all in. I'm tired of more oyinbo people teaching me MY culture.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 6:23am On Apr 18, 2008
girl, dont u worry about it, i have offered her my services and together we will save the tribe by starting our own small tribe.

omoovie:

Part of the problem is the rape of Benin that occurred in the early 20th century. All those artifacts are entrenched in the British museum and I don't think we will be seeing any of them soon except through a detached glass box. Why do white people like to box things in? The second problem is our previous generation and ours. Our parents by virtue of being the more western educated generation as well as being survivors of war taught their children what they think they need to survive - no parent these days actively seeks to teach their children their language because they feel it's not a necessity to survive and that means so many languages, cultures and ideals are dying. I'm afraid for Urhobos and we are over 1/2 a million. I don't speak Urhobo, Igbo or Edo. I took it upon myself to learn a Nigerian language but the only one available to me over here is Hausa so I'm learning Hausa.

My advice:

Record WHATEVER you can about your culture whether online or on paper (Urhobos have www.waado.org). If you need help with the web part, I can give you some pointers. Record! record! record! Record historically significant dates, places, times, creation myths, songs, celebrations, pictures of Uneme people performing various rites, et cetera. Who knows, you might be the saviour of the Uneme. You can start off where that book earlier in the post left off (i.e. start recording Uneme history from 1962)

Good luck oh. I feel your pain. I'm going back home to study my mum's people and drink it all in. I'm tired of more oyinbo people teaching me MY culture.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by omoovie(f): 5:05am On May 10, 2008
na2day?:

girl, don't u worry about it, i have offered her my services and together we will save the tribe by starting our own small tribe.

LOL! You be yeye!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 8:44pm On May 12, 2008
i am only trying to fulfill my calling grin grin grin grin

omoovie:

LOL! You be yeye!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by romeo(m): 11:27am On May 13, 2008
Which one be Uneme?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Outstrip(f): 7:08pm On May 17, 2008
Gamine part of the problem is that the Ineme people are sort of seen as the Osu of that area. I know that etsakos traditionally will not marry an Ineme. Though it is changing now with our generation. That might be part of the reason why the numbers are falling.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 10:55pm On May 17, 2008
so r u sayin that my beloved wonderful wife to be Gamine, is an Osu? shocked shocked shocked make u stop that kind rough play ooooo angry angry angry

Outstrip:

Gamine part of the problem is that the Ineme people are sort of seen as the Osu of that area. I know that etsakos traditionally will not marry an Ineme. Though it is changing now with our generation. That might be part of the reason why the numbers are falling.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Carlosein(m): 11:49am On May 20, 2008
well gamine, just seeing this thread and i must say you got it really figured.

i am uneme and have always wondered why our village never gets bigger because i have been there several times and it's all the same year in year out.

i have also perused that hakeem harunah  book (an uncle once gave me to read) and i must confess i felt very proud of my heritage.

i speak my language albeit not fluently. so girl as omoovie and many others have said here, let's document, document, and document our heritage. i am taking this very seriously cool
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 12:51pm On Jul 07, 2008
I no be Osu ooh!

abeg o!

Like a poster advised.

Document
Document
Document.

I cant go to my village now for anything
but i can update the book my father wrote
translate it into an online version and add some more things
as for learning the lingo.
thats gonna take sometime, but i will def try.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by dejyx: 6:33pm On Aug 08, 2008
Hi everyone,

Saw this and it really tripped me. Am Uneme and proud to be one. Would love it if we could get together form a forum, spread documents about our history and culture so that we could read.

Am saying this cos a great number of us dont know our language. Lets try keep the flag flying.

Long Live UNEME!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 6:34pm On Aug 08, 2008
This is so good to hear!

Pipu oya join me in this noble quest!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 2:54am On Aug 09, 2008
Gamine:

This is so good to hear!

Pipu oya join me in this noble quest!

wat r u talking about? no make me vex oooo angry angry angry angry angry the only noble way to save the tribe is for me an u to do our biological duties, oya follow me sharp sharp before the time runs out on us grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 9:39am On Aug 11, 2008
If i report you eh, ur eyes go come dan angry
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2008
Gamine:

If i report you eh, your eyes go come dan angry

report who? u ney dey fear face? angry angry angry
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 10:10am On Aug 12, 2008
No be your type face i dey fear o

may u no try me sha angry angry angry angry

AJ asked afta you sef
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 8:01am On Aug 14, 2008
Gamine:

No be your type face i dey fear o

may u no try me sha angry angry angry angry

AJ asked after you sef

e bi like say u no know say i be top share holder for MEND? wink wink na who bi AJ? i know say AJ means Ajegunle, i wonder how a whole AJ city go ask after me, na so i popular reach grin grin grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 11:20am On Aug 14, 2008
May u no try o, i dey warn u sha

u no know say anoda uneme bros dey ask for my hand on NL here
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 9:32pm On Aug 14, 2008
angry angry angry angry angry na who hin bi? angry angry angry angry angry

Gamine:

May u no try o, i dey warn u sha

u no know say another uneme bros dey ask for my hand on Nairaland here
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by LASIEFAIRE(m): 9:46pm On Aug 14, 2008
Abeg edonites
Sabongida-ora ko - any info. hope say we no be osu sha.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 10:09am On Aug 15, 2008
wetin be dis osu thing sef undecided undecided

@na2day
u dey craze undecided
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 10:32am On Aug 15, 2008
Gamine:

wetin be this osu thing sef undecided undecided

@na2day
u dey craze undecided

u ney dey fear? u dey ask ur husband if hin dey craze. take time oooo, that coconut water wey u take mix with star beer don dey affect u ba? angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Ooni Of Ife Speaks At School Of Oriental & African Studies,London(photos) / Pako Biscuit Generation Vs Indomie Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.