Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! (19504 Views)

Are Ceiling Fans Going Extinct? / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 9:42pm On Oct 30, 2008
@ Gamine

wassup mami, i hear u calling me ur one and only papi
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Tgirl4real(f): 4:34pm On Oct 31, 2008
@Post,

why u dey bother yaself? If u go extinct the better for us. At least u can become a full fleshed yoruba grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 7:24pm On Oct 31, 2008
All these bad belle sef! angry angry angry angry

@Na2day,

You need to come back to Nigeria, Where is your Dad from exactly?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2008
i say make u come meet me 4 here u say make i come back to 9ja, na film? i dey from Erunun-Uneme grin grin grin

Gamine:

All these bad belle sef! angry angry angry angry

@Na2day,

You need to come back to Nigeria, Where is your Dad from exactly?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 6:29pm On Nov 01, 2008
Na2day,

OH thats great!! grin

Did you use to go to the Village??

if you can remember how it was, i can bet if you go there now

you wont recognise it,

The roads are gettin tarred and everything

people are building big big houses eh.

infact its no more the Hamlet we used to know

even though i loved those times, aah the memowiesssss!!!

Theres a lot of change going on, people are coming back to the village

do you know any Rev S.O Academe?

A[i]bout me coming over, you know we havent concluded plans oooo[/i] grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 8:18pm On Nov 01, 2008
about those plans, na u i dey wait for ooooo, me dey ready wink wink wink wink

Gamine:

Na2day,

OH thats great!! grin

Did you use to go to the Village??

if you can remember how it was, i can bet if you go there now

you wont recognise it,

The roads are gettin tarred and everything

people are building big big houses eh.

infact its no more the Hamlet we used to know

even though i loved those times, aah the memowiesssss!!!

Theres a lot of change going on, people are coming back to the village

do you know any Rev S.O Academe?

A[i]bout me coming over, you know we havent concluded plans oooo[/i] grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:27pm On Nov 01, 2008
You didnt even reply one question oooh undecided
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by IFeoma: 1:18am On Nov 02, 2008
About 9 tribes that used to be in nigeria is extinct.

I wish this Gamine tribe doesn't become Extinct (This is the first time i've heard of them). I pray they don't become extinct.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 3:41am On Nov 02, 2008
i have only been to my village once embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed dont knw no rev

Gamine:

You didnt even reply one question oooh undecided

dont worry, gamine and i have plans on saving it wink wink wink wink

IFeoma:

About 9 tribes that used to be in nigeria is extinct.

I wish this Gamine tribe doesn't become Extinct (This is the first time i've heard of them). I pray they don't become extinct.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:54pm On Nov 02, 2008
@Ifeoma

thanks For your concern

im so happy beyond words now, Things have changed for the better.

I am playing a part in making things move forward

afterall, it is where my roots are.

@NA2day,

im going to drag you back here,

we must attend Ukpe festival together.lol tongue
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 8:05am On Nov 03, 2008
sure, i agree but we must put first things first  wink wink wink wink

Gamine:

@NA2day,

I'm going to drag you back here,

we must attend Ukpe festival together.lol tongue
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:30pm On Nov 03, 2008
Yeah I know,

Life is in Phases.

But I AM SERIOUS man!

We have to document it embarassed
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 5:09am On Nov 04, 2008
iight, we will document it but when are we going to tie the not ? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Gamine:

Yeah I know,

Life is in Phases.

But I AM SERIOUS man!

We have to document it embarassed
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 10:06am On Nov 04, 2008
Soon, my dear

soon. grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by ikeyman00(m): 10:54am On Nov 04, 2008
na lie na igbo man gamine want to keep her tribe from mulitpyin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 11:51am On Nov 04, 2008
And you would know abi?

Igbo man KO!!!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Tgirl4real(f): 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2008
na me be bad belle

no worry, u go soon be extinct cool
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 12:41pm On Nov 04, 2008
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

ma gbe ne gbo fia ke!!!!!!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Tgirl4real(f): 1:35pm On Nov 04, 2008
Gamine:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

ma gbe ne gbo fia ke!!!!!!

Interpretation ASAP
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 2:11pm On Nov 04, 2008
Eka??
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Tgirl4real(f): 3:42pm On Nov 04, 2008
Gamine,

u are trying me o. . .
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by jantavanta(m): 2:54pm On Jun 03, 2009
Dear Gamine,
I have been looking for some information on Uneme mythology. I read in the Guardian Newspapers some years back,
about the Uneme myth of a visitor who visited seven worlds before visiting this world. Do you by any chance know of this?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 12:36pm On Jun 05, 2009
There is a group on Facebook, Uneme Universalis, if you are Uneme, join!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2033719&id=503822081&comments#/group.php?gid=55243569750&ref=mf

A little Historical Note

“Owing to their profession-Blacksmith, they (Uneme) were highly respected and regarded by their customers. While they (Uneme neighbours) waged war between themselves freely none of them dare wage war against Uneme. In fact, Uneme were always contacted for war weapons.
If an Uneme agrees to marry any of these peoples’ daughter, she is always given out without dowry; because that will enable her family to enjoy the generosity of Uneme in offering them farming tools to farm. However, no non-Uneme dare go to any Uneme daughter for marriage. Uneme girls were very beautiful, but secluded for Uneme men alone.

It was this respect and lack of opportunity to war freely with Uneme or to marry their daughters at will that degenerated into great fear by these Uneme neighbours. They were so afraid of Uneme that it eventually turned into the younger generations saying: we forbid Uneme.

Hereby turning into the whole "osu" of a thing. . .the things that fear'd do to a people sad

a curse was placed on the Uneme by His Royal Highness Oba Egbeka of Benin during his reign (around 1370AD). His Royal Highness Oba Egbeka got tired of constant war between the Uneme tribal houses and Benin Kingdom.

The Bishop stated that the charm for placing the curse was prepared for His Royal Highness Oba Egbeka by His Royal Highness Oba Ogiebo of Igbo-Orumila now known as Ijebu-Ode.
His Royal Highness Oba Egbeka used the charm to scatter the Uneme tribal houses and prevent them from further united action against him. The Oba’s warriors chased the Uneme from one location to another in Edo area until His Royal Highness felt he had defeated them completely.

This partly accounts for the dispersal of Uneme tribal houses in the northern part of Edo State, some parts of Ondo state and a small section of Awka in Anambra State. The five Uneme tribal houses make up ten towns and villages in Edo State. These are Uneme-Anegbette, Uneme-Nekhua, Uneme-Akiosu, Uneme-Ekpedo, Uneme-Erunun, Uneme-Akpama, Uneme-Udochi, Uneme-Uzanu, Uneme-Imiava, Uneme-Ayetoro

@jantavanta

Im still researching on a lot of things.

Im going to meet up with a woman who's descendants wrote a great deal about the Uneme.

still trying to get resources for the blog/website

As soon as i get any more info, i would post it and link back here, if you are Uneme join the group smiley
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by jantavanta(m): 1:37pm On Jun 05, 2009
@Gamine, sorry, I am not Umene, smiley but I will check out the Facebook site this weekend. I like learning about Nigerian mythologies and languages with the purpose of finding similarities within and outside Nigeria.

It appears that The Uneme Nation were ostracized out of fear. Also they had a relatively advanced knowledge of iron smelting technology that
put them above their neighbours. They guarded this knowledge, the way modern day technologically advanced nations guard certain scientific
knowledge.

I used to know of a Professor Igbeka, a prof of agric. engineering! He must have been an Uneme.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by romeo(m): 4:33pm On Jun 05, 2009
ahh uneme still be topic? i thought it was extinct some years back? undecided undecided tongue
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 12:56am On Jun 06, 2009
@ Gamine

sweet heart, havent heard from u in a long time, are ur plans still in motion or suspended? undecided undecided hit me up on YIM
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gaminechic: 12:30pm On Jun 23, 2009
@na2day

You know the Ekhabafes abi?

please drop a condolence message in the group.

i, myself i dont know what to say, its just so sad. . cry
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 6:08pm On Jun 23, 2009
Gaminechic:

@na2day

You know the Ekhabafes abi?

please drop a condolence message in the group.

i, myself i dont know what to say, its just so sad. . cry

wat group? drop me the link or send me an email on facebook
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gaminechic: 6:37pm On Jun 23, 2009
@Na2day

Our group on FB, Uneme Universalis. . i thought you joined?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by na2day2(m): 5:49pm On Jun 24, 2009
i probably did but havent been to most of my groups on fb for a while, will check it out
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by joaniex: 12:00am On Jul 04, 2009
@have you found the Rev S O Academe? he has a very popular church in town, dont attend though
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gaminechic: 1:12pm On Jul 06, 2009
S.O Academe and Family are close to my family.

when we used to go to the village, we attend the church.

We arent so many anyway, most folks know each other

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28 / Ooni Of Ife Speaks At School Of Oriental & African Studies,London(photos) / Pako Biscuit Generation Vs Indomie Generation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.