Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,006 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! (19472 Views)

Are Ceiling Fans Going Extinct? / 10 Extinct Nigerian Languages And What You Think Can Be Done To Save The Rest / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by joaniex: 9:58am On Jul 07, 2009
dint even no he has a church in the villa, was refering to the one in holds a monthly vigil called power night, lots of people go
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by bintab(f): 12:29pm On Jul 08, 2009
o ga ,i will be back.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by sunnykiss(m): 11:45pm On Feb 04, 2010
;DUpeople r close to igalas in kogi an some part of illushi, abi, well i am an igala boy ok
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by erionose: 12:50pm On Oct 29, 2010
For any body to make a statement or pass comment about a people or tribe, that person should have information. Uneme are proud and bless people. They have their language.

sam ojo
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by erionose: 12:57pm On Oct 29, 2010
gamine, You have no idea where you come from.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by nefetiti: 4:43pm On Nov 02, 2010
I think majority of the Edo languages are actually going into extinction. Am from edo state (ishan) and av never heard of Uneme. I cant even speakm my dialect. My moms Akoko Edo and she cant speak either. All my edo friends cant speak their dialects also. Personally, I guess the Edo lingua franca is pidgin.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 8:58pm On Nov 02, 2010
The Edo lingua Franca has largely been the 'Bini' tongue, because Lingua franca is usually the language of the more influential
I know, many who speak Bini and Uneme, because they wanted to live in the 'city'
My mum's Uneme town, Unemenekhua, was largely influenced by the nearby Yorubas, so Ligua franca in that area became Yoruba, and some people, actually 'became' Yoruba
But yeah, I figure these days, Pidgin is cutting across every area.

I do know that these our languages are getting wiped out, I can hardly speak myself,
but I'm beginning to learn, I think It's up to us to actually take a stand and do something,
before these things turn to relics like so many others.
It's really sad that all people want to do now is speak Oyinbo pass Oyinbo.

We will survive.

@Erionose,

Enlighten me.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Obiagu1(m): 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2010
Going extinct? It’s a bit confusing. Are Uneme people dying off, or being wiped out (annihilated) by others, or are they being transformed to other people?
If they are being transformed, what are they being transformed into? Bini, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by isalegan2: 11:11pm On Nov 04, 2010
Gamine:

, I figure these days, Pidgin is cutting across every area.

I do know that these our languages are getting wiped out, I can hardly speak myself,
but I'm beginning to learn, I think It's up to us to actually take a stand and do something,
before these things turn to relics like so many others.
It's really sad that all people want to do now is speak Oyinbo pass Oyinbo.

I am so proud of what you've done. I think we have a great culture and rich history as Africans and should prioritise preserving it. I know there are people that simply don't care. We won't pay them any mind.

-Isale Gangan
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 11:28pm On Nov 05, 2010
Obiagu1:

Going extinct? It’s a bit confusing. Are Uneme people dying off, or being wiped out (annihilated) by others, or are they being transformed to other people?
If they are being transformed, what are they being transformed into? Bini, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo.

Extinct. . well, its more about the culture than the people.
Many are dying off ofcourse, but the main issue is about them being
Transformed. .lol, Assimilated (being the politically correct term) yes they are,
Yoruba. . .more so than others, but the cultures which border them on the North,
have had some influence. Many youths also prefer to speak 'Bini'

I remember my mum only recently talking about her primary school friend who married a Yoruba man,
and was going to visit her in another country. .
''. . .She can hardly speak Uneme, She's Yoruba now''

isale_gan2:

I am so proud of what you've done. I think we have a great culture and rich history as Africans and should prioritise preserving it. I know there are people that simply don't care. We won't pay them any mind.

-Isale Gangan

I'm afraid I'm not doing enough,
but I'm glad I have been able to raise awareness so far.
Thanks
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by texazzpete(m): 11:34pm On Nov 05, 2010
Gamine:

I'm afraid I'm not doing enough,
but I'm glad I have been able to raise awareness so far.
Thanks

You've kept at this for far longer than i thought you would. That's a good thing in my books.
With luck you'll marry a strapping Uneme lad and produce 5 Uneme kids who will jabber all day in the Uneme Language grin
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Gamine(f): 11:42pm On Nov 05, 2010
texazzpete:

You've kept at this for far longer than i thought you would. That's a good thing in my books.
With luck you'll marry a strapping Uneme lad and produce 5 Uneme kids who will jabber all day in the Uneme Language grin

LMAO

Go away jo, don't you know its harder when I'm 'in love' with a Yoruba man.
wahala dey o. cheesy
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by ayabaE: 9:52pm On Mar 06, 2012
Hi everyone,

I noticed the discussion here is about Edo state. Please I don't know if anyone can tell me where I can find information on learning the Uwano language?

Thanks
ayabaE
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by sunch(m): 11:08pm On Jun 17, 2012
Am etsako, and it wasnt long that i knew about the uneme in edo north. I believe the unemes has alot in their hand to stop this problem. I find out the unemes are outcask in Edo, though they are scattered around the edo north. While most of them fails disclosing their identity, to avoid rejection.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by anonymous6(f): 7:46pm On Jun 18, 2012
Gamine: I am from a tribe called Uneme
Located at the Northern part of Edo state

and we speak a language by that name or 'Ineme'
it is one of the Edoid languages,

We number only about 25,000
and i don't think in the nearest future that number is going to increase

i don't kno who to blame;
My Parents
Our fore-fathers
or
the 'White Men'

Most of my generation can't evn speak the Language,
What a Dilemma
Soon my Tribe would be non-existent with no history watsoever
Gotta Do smthing

Someone out there
Someone serious
Some Advice!!

Unless systematically everyone of the young adult generation and the old men who are polygamist in your tribe tribe starts having alot of kids to increase the population and then instill the language, I can see the instinction being stopped; so that is the only solution or your theory could be true.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by pcgist: 1:02pm On Jul 22, 2014
Uneme people are a very remarkable people. You can learn more about Uneme people at www.afemaipeople.com/concise-history-uneme-people/ or www.afemaipeople.com/the-uneme-people-of-afemailand-their-stoty-as-told- by-them/
STAY INFORMED
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 22, 2014
Gamine: lol@2legit

@Hero
i really dont understand where you are coming from,
But the thing is; most of my tribe people didnt allow
inter-Marriage, they wanted their skill secret to be kept
within the tribe,
But as modernity dawned on us, people started inter marryin
i guess thats when things, cultural values began to get misplaced

You can hardly see two 'Unemes' marry these days
i kno my husband wont be Uneme Sef,
Both my Parents are , but thats where it ends
i dont kno any one of my generation that have married 'Uneme-Uneme'

God Help Us.

ethnic groups under threat usually gradually loose their language and identity to a more dominant culture in the vicinity.

what group or groups are your people loosing their language and traditions to?

1 Like

Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Mczigx(m): 7:16am On Jul 26, 2014
I knw uneme, itz clse 2 Igarra, dere ar Une Osu, Uneme Erhurun cnt rememba d rest. My question is, are the towns related cuz i knw dey speak dsame language and y d seperation?
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Mczigx(m): 7:18am On Jul 26, 2014
sunch: Am etsako, and it wasnt long that i knew about the uneme in edo north. I believe the unemes has alot in their hand to stop this problem. I find out the unemes are outcask in Edo, though they are scattered around the edo north. While most of them fails disclosing their identity, to avoid rejection.
neva heard of dat, d uneme i knw are proud of deir culture
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by aigjoey(m): 9:21am On Sep 06, 2014
sunch: Am etsako, and it wasnt long that i knew about the uneme in edo north. I believe the unemes has alot in their hand to stop this problem. I find out the unemes are outcask in Edo, though they are scattered around the edo north. While most of them fails disclosing their identity, to avoid rejection.
. you are very stupid to say what you don't no about.you most have been in d amazon for you not to have heard of us. who told u we are in d hide or outcast as u mentioned. the unemes are d toast of the Edo people most ex specially d esako people whose men are longing to marry my beautiful ladies.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by aigjoey(m): 9:30am On Sep 06, 2014
Outstrip: Gamine part of the problem is that the Ineme people are sort of seen as the Osu of that area. I know that etsakos traditionally will not marry an Ineme. Though it is changing now with our generation. That might be part of the reason why the numbers are falling.
you are a big fool for saying what u don't no.... u lack a good historical upbringing.. right from creation the ESA KO had always been married to the uneme. go ask ur father if u have one
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Mczigx(m): 12:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
aigjoey: you are a big fool for saying what u don't no.... u lack a good historical upbringing.. right from creation the ESA KO had always been married to the uneme. go ask ur father if u have one
Datz harsh..,..
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Ihuomadinihu: 2:30pm On Sep 06, 2014
Planner:

Seun, culture is mearnt to last forever, otherwise God will not have created it in the first place. It is essence of who we are. It is our wholeness. So for you to say that you do care about your parent's culture is not too correct.

Gamine,
I think the world is going back to Babel language-wise. There are so many languages that are endangered. Blame it on the English language! However, like someone said try and document it both sound and written. If you can, pesuade the politicians to teach the language in the your area at the primary school level as a second laguage. It will help in creating awareness. Hopefully it may become a widely spoken language like welsh and hebrew.

Good luck.
English language is not the sole reason for language endangerment.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by gise: 7:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
If u don't want to go extinct adopt American style law whereby one drop of black blood u are black so any uneme is uneme completely
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by AbuMikey(m): 8:48am On Apr 08, 2015
RichyBlacK:
Gamine,

Is it true that your tribe is going extinct in 2012? Please confirm. I watched a documentary on ITV that talked about your people. Thanks.

So false!
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by tpiadotcom: 1:12am On Apr 10, 2015
historyb:
Gamine, I couldn't be wrong. I am absolutely right. I am from Akoko-Edo and know the history. The Unemes with their craftmanship in steel technology as at then, manufactured chains with which slaves where taken away by the colonial invaders for financial gains. This resulted in their being excommunicated. The tribe is now scattered around Edo State and could be found in Akoko-Edo (Uneme-Nokua, Uneme-Osu, etc), Etsako, Owan, etc. The Binis call them Uleme. Akoko-Edo has the largest settlement of the Unemes.

This is just a brief history. If you need details, I could go down history memory-lane and dig up facts and link you up with your kindreds with high political status in Edo State. Inter-marriage could only be done if the Uneme identity is unknown to others (friends and family members). A forum was recently launched in Edo State to correct this age-long segregation, This cannot work, because the fact remains that modernity cannot out-run inherited norms and values. It is deep rooted and will take generations to wash aways, excepting the story is untold to the new generations, which is rapidly not associating with the traditional tenets of their ancestors. I know about this history because I grew up at home in my village. How could I tell my child/children the same history, unless the issue is awakened by happennings. undecided

I thought the chains were imported from Europe, didn't know they were locally made.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by pcgist: 10:09am On Mar 13, 2016
The Uneme people can be found in the Northern part of Edo state. The Edo north people are generally called Afemai. To find out more about the Uneme people, read "A CONCISE HISTORY OF UNEME PEOPLE" at this link http://www.afemaipeople.com/concise-history-uneme-people/
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by christopher123(m): 5:03pm On Apr 20, 2016
ok
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by scholes0(m): 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2016
Seun:
I would not be bothered even if Yoruba was going to fade. My identity is independent of my grandparents' culture.

Abajo!
No wonder .....
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by Seun(m): 5:14pm On Apr 21, 2016
scholes0:
Abajo!
No wonder .....
I shouldn't have said that! Not that it's all that wrong, but saying it out loud wasn't beneficial.
Re: Uneme: My Tribe, IS NOT Going Extinct ANYMORE! by vizkiz: 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2016
Seun:
I shouldn't have said that! Not that it's all that wrong, but saying it out loud wasn't beneficial.

bro please your attention is needed. Can I have few seconds of your time? Hopefully you will reply...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Photo: Wrestling Festival In Adamawa / More Photos & Facts Of The Two Sisters Who Married Oba Of Benin, Ewuare II / Igbo Monarchs Set To End The Osu Caste System Come December 28

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.