Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,993 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:17 AM

Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! (8148 Views)

Troop Foils Boko Haram Attack On Military And Civilians (photos) / Military To Take Over Aso Rock’s Strike Force / T-72 Tanks Used By The Military To Destroy Boko Haram (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:37am On Mar 11, 2010
Nzeribe calls for military intervention
From, VAL OKARA, Owerri
Thursday, March 11, 2010

Nzeribe
Photo: Sun Publishing
More Stories on This Section
Maverick politician and four-time senator, Chief Francis Arthur Nzeribe, has again stirred the hornet’s nest by calling on the military to rescue the nation from further degenerating into a state of abyss. The leader of the controversial defunct Association for Better Nigerian (ABN) observed that politicians had failed to sustain the country’s 10 year unbroken democracy with wanton encouragement of crimes.

Nzeribe at a news conference in Owerri on Wednesday said that Nigerians were experiencing fatigue with democracy and heading consciously or unconsciously towards military dictatorship.
“It used to be fashionable to say that politicians have learnt nothing from the experiences in the hands of the military. This time around, we can say that politicians have learnt nothing from each other which makes our case as a nation worse.”

According to Nzeribe who dubbed his press statement ‘Our’ Democracy has its innocence, “it is unfortunate that after 10 years of committing huge sums of money in building democratic institutions, politicians are still unable to live up to expectation.
“Our country has spent huge sums of money building legislatures at all levels of government. We have spent huge sums of money nurturing and sustaining the executive arms at all tiers of government. But, what have we gotten in return?” Nzeribe queried.
He noted that it had all been tales of woe from executive to the judiciary, pointing out that no single legislation had had any positive impact on Nigerians since 1999.

He further said that the country ended up having state chief executives who had turned their states into private estates as they had failed to distinguish their private pockets from the public till.
He noted that, what appeared to be a repentant judiciary at the beginning of the current dispensation had turned out to be a fluke. “We are all witnesses to the rigmarole in election cases.” He therefore expressed fear that some governorship disputes pending in the courts had no prospects of being resolved before the next general elections.
According to him, what the country had only succeeded in achieving in the last 10 years was emergence of a new crop elite who took advantage of the innocent yearning of the people to appropriate the commonwealth.

He, observed that there was an atmosphere of panic and uncertainties in the country prompting politicians to shower praises on the military for protecting the nation’s democracy. Nzeribe described such praises as blackmail.
“Does it not worry us that the same military we were abusing 11 years ago, we are now praising to high heavens not for going to war and excelling but agree to look the other way while we fornicate with the innocent democracy?”
“The nation’s relation with the military is precarious. We do not want to stage a takeover. Yet, we keep on committing the same act that makes coup plotting a profitable venture. My position is that the military should strike if they think the environment is ripe for that. Who are the people turning the screw from the background? We talk of the cabal, which cabal? The bubble will soon burst.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/mar/11/national-11-03-2010-016.htm
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by EzeUche(m): 2:38am On Mar 11, 2010
Why don't he shut up!

He should be preaching referendum, not military takeover. Over my dead body will this happen again.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:43am On Mar 11, 2010
This same man truncated June 12 with his ABN!
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Ibime(m): 2:53am On Mar 11, 2010
One of Udenwas daughters once told me of the obscene wealth of Nzeribe in Imo State. If an Udenwa can complain about Nzeribe, then he must truly be a psychotic thief.

How can an insatiable thief like Nzeribe complain about corruption in our democracy? Thats like Hitler accusing someone else of anti-semitism. It shows how powerless we are as a people that a much despised man like Nzeribe can still speak in our Nation with impunity. In any self-respecting nation, this man would be behind bars.

Why did he not call for an end to democracy when he was in the senate? This mans bread has always been buttered by the military, so why we should we expect anything different from him?

1 Like

Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Nobody: 3:08am On Mar 11, 2010
Ok time should probably be 3:am in Nigeria. How come the article already said March 11 2010? Oboy eeeee this people self!!!
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 3:27am On Mar 11, 2010
9jaganja:

Ok time should probably be 3:am in Nigeria. How come the article already said March 11 2010? Oboy eeeee this people self!!!

so them no dey write news stories for early hours in your side?
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Nobody: 3:32am On Mar 11, 2010
JosBoy4Lif:

so them no dey write news stories for early hours in your side?

It has to be later morning not early morning like 2am and stuff. If it happened on Wednessday, most local news will broadcast it that day and we don't get news papers until morning as in 7am or on a train ride etc, So that was kinda a little too early. They should have put the date Nzeribe said so in the headline.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Abagworo(m): 7:46am On Mar 11, 2010
Ibime:

One of Udenwas daughters once told me of the obscene wealth of Nzeribe in Imo State. If an Udenwa can complain about Nzeribe, then he must truly be a psychotic thief.

How can an insatiable thief like Nzeribe complain about corruption in our democracy? Thats like Hitler accusing someone else of anti-semitism. It shows how powerless we are as a people that a much despised man like Nzeribe can still speak in our Nation with impunity. In any self-respecting nation, this man would be behind bars.

Why did he not call for an end to democracy when he was in the senate? This mans bread has always been buttered by the military, so why we should we expect anything different from him?

name please
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by naso2(m): 8:15am On Mar 11, 2010
Does it mean we do not have provisions in the constitution to deal with reckless utterances like this?
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by jimmysho(m): 8:30am On Mar 11, 2010
he is only speaking the mind of his employers
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by mrperfect(m): 11:24am On Mar 11, 2010
This is democracy.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 11:45am On Mar 11, 2010
Ibime:

It is obvious that the Udenwa's daughter you are talking about knows nothing about Nzeribe.

Nzeribe made his money outside Nigeria, does not get involved in government contracts and that was the reason why he compiled names of powerful Nigerians in 1999 and made it clear that we can tackle corruption if we are serious by simply matching assets to people and asking them to explain the source.

Is the man very rich? Yes. Is he one of the corrupt politicians that have looted Nigeria dry? No.

Love him or hate him I prefer people like this man at the helm of affairs as they always say things the way they are.

So, Udenwa's daughter would do well to focus on the money her father looted rather than finding it difficult to understand how Nzeribe became so rich.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Katsumoto: 11:55am On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

It is obvious that the Udenwa's daughter you are talking about knows nothing about Nzeribe.

Nzeribe made his money outside Nigeria, does not get involved in government contracts and that was the reason why he compiled names of powerful Nigerians in 1999 and made it clear that we can tackle corruption if we are serious by simply matching assets to people and asking them to explain the source.

Is the man very rich? Yes. Is he one of the corrupt politicians that have looted Nigeria dry? No.

Love him or hate him I prefer people like this man at the helm of affairs as they always say things the way they are.

So, Udenwa's daughter would do well to focus on the money her father looted rather than finding it difficult to understand how Nzeribe became so rich.

So Nzeribe just did IBB a favour by being used as a pawn to scuttle June 12? I also remember that Nzeribe served in the Senate at one point. Nzeribe made blood money in Nigeria.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 12:09pm On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

So Nzeribe just did IBB a favour by being used as a pawn to scuttle June 12? I also remember that Nzeribe served in the Senate at one point. Nzeribe made blood money in Nigeria.

I presented facts so I will advise you do same. Serving in the senate is his choice and that was to represent his people, at least 4 times since it is not possible for Westerners or Northerners to represent his people.

Are you aware that MKO visited Nzeribe in his home after the annulment?

Are you aware that MKO made it clear that he can rule without any consideration to the Igbos when asked about the position of the Igbos in his government even when Igbos voted for him?

If your answers to the 2 questions above are in the negative then I don't expect you to understand why he formed ABN.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by otokx(m): 12:11pm On Mar 11, 2010
There is freedom of speech.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by chrisical(m): 12:24pm On Mar 11, 2010
Freedom of speech! but that shouldnt make him to talk trash.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by doyin13(m): 12:44pm On Mar 11, 2010
Is this the same man that allegedly procured tons of antique weapons
for Biafrans?
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 12:50pm On Mar 11, 2010
doyin13:

Is this the same man that allegedly procured tons of antique weapons
for Biafrans?

Yes, he is the same man. Thank God that some of you are now owning up to his source of wealth.

One fact remains that he never made his money from contracts neither did he loot any public funds.

That is why he remains a very bold Nigerian that no one can intimidate or expose.

By the way, I believe he sold weapons to not just Biafrans.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Katsumoto: 12:59pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

I presented facts so I will advise you do same. Serving in the senate is his choice and that was to represent his people, at least 4 times since it is not possible for Westerners or Northerners to represent his people.

Are you aware that MKO visited Nzeribe in his home after the annulment?

Are you aware that MKO made it clear that he can rule without any consideration to the Igbos when asked about the position of the Igbos in his government even when Igbos voted for him?

If your answers to the 2 questions above are in the negative then I don't expect you to understand why he formed ABN.

You did not provide any facts. You only stated that he made his money outside Nigeria and that he is rich. How is that a fact?
Also, to the questions that you raised, is that not just plain hearsay and gossip? Were you there when Abiola visited Nzeribe? If you weren't there, then please provide evidence that he was there by way of a publication. Otherwise, its just Nzeribe saying all that just to justify his devilish acts. Hear-say and gossip do not qualify as facts. This is not a beer parlour.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 1:03pm On Mar 11, 2010
Katsumoto:

You did not provide any facts. You only stated that he made his money outside Nigeria and that he is rich. How is that a fact?
Also, to the questions that you raised, is that not just plain hearsay and gossip? Were you there when Abiola visited Nzeribe? If you weren't there, then please provide evidence that he was there by way of a publication. Otherwise, its just Nzeribe saying all that just to justify his devilish acts. Hear-say and gossip do not qualify as facts. This is not a beer parlour.

This forum is not a history class so if you don't know these things then you may ask someone else to educate you because as for me I will prefer you continue to swim in the ocean of ignorance than to help you.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by chidichris(m): 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2010
based on what nzeribe just said, assuming nigeria is 150 million in population, at this point, we have at least 130 million nzeribes. yes many nigerians including me would want a millitary take over as the so-called democracy is more than a failure.
corruption under our new found democracy is higher than the days of the millitary.
the improved situation in ghana today is a product of millitary actions.
a millitary take over that can kill all the obasanjos, bode georges, ubas, annenihs and their likes will surely bring about a new nigeria.
i have said it times without numbers many will say give them time but no one is telling us how much time. our politicians have failed us and millitary take over seems the only way out.
1999 to 2010 is enough see development no matter how small rather than kidnappings, robberies, pot holes, lootters, fraudulent contracts and fraudulent elections, white hair criminals, political thugs as kingmakers. what is the fate of this country under these blood thirsty cultists.
who knows what the spiritual implications of yar adua's situation? we are heading to an unknown destination with definitely no development plans.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by SapeleGuy: 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2010
Nzeribe was and is only interested in what is best for Nzeribe.

Nzeribe helped the General Ankrah govt that overthrew Nkrumah (at the behest of certain foreign powers) Nzeribe was kicked out of Ghana in 1969 for bribery and corruption and General Ankrah was forced to resign over this scandal, so nobody should hoodwink us and say the source of his wealth is clean.

Whether Ghana or Nigeria - looting is looting.

This man is stupendously wealthy but sadly there is no evidence of his wealth touching the lives of his people.
We should reject his type of avaricious leadership and consign it to the dustbin.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 1:56pm On Mar 11, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Nzeribe was and is only interested in what is best for Nzeribe.

Nzeribe helped the General Ankrah govt that overthrew Nkrumah (at the behest of certain foreign powers) Nzeribe was kicked out of Ghana in 1969 for bribery and corruption and General Ankrah was forced to resign over this scandal, so nobody should hoodwink us and say the source of his wealth is clean.

Whether Ghana or Nigeria - looting is looting.

This man is stupendously wealthy but sadly there is no evidence of his wealth touching the lives of his people.
We should reject his type of avaricious leadership and consign it to the dustbin.

At least no single fact that points to him corruptly enriching himself in Nigeria, that to me is a good development. A lot of lies and misinformation are going around on virtually everything in this country that you get to wonder if indeed it is very difficult to stick to the truth.

Dealing in arms is not a dirty business anyway.

You may also want to research on a case he won in the UK I think where he made a lot of money and then declared bankruptcy (some say to avoid the huge tax on the money, not sure).

The bottom line is that he is one wealthy Nigerian that did not steal a kobo from Nigeria and that is why he is bold and courageous to say anything unlike those that the threat of EFCC will just make them retreat or even do u-turns on issues.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by calyx: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2010
Quote from: Ibime on Today at 02:53:07 AM

name please

Please name!!!some of us at least have a bit of knowledge abt that family
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by SapeleGuy: 2:03pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam -  Play back what you have just written, reflect on it. Is this to say that we should ignore crimes that were commited outside Nigeria?

What is money without honour? Surely you don't champion such values.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Kx: 2:09pm On Mar 11, 2010
It is wrong to call for military intervention,but one quick question pls.

Does the smiling pupil in school whose parents can afford decent meal for the family,enjoy family tv together in the evening,go out without fear of armed robbery,travel to the north without fear of being butchered,etc
care if the military or civilian is in power or not?

Lets get a solution,for crying out loud if Nigeria fortunes lies with the military,so be it.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 2:17pm On Mar 11, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Afam -  Play back what you have just written, reflect on it. Is this to say that we should ignore crimes that were commited outside Nigeria?

What is money without honour? Surely you don't champion such values.

What are the crimes? Please state them so I can respond to them.

It seems we have moved from the initial comments by some that the man is corrupt to source of his wealth and now to honor and values.

For me, the fact that people at least now know that he did not loot money like our corrupt politicians is ok by me.

If you have any information about any crime he committed to make money please state it here.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by SapeleGuy: 2:32pm On Mar 11, 2010
Accepting bribes from foreign contractors in Ghana.

With respect, if we are assessing an individuals credibility, then  source of wealth can't be ignored because it can be linked to corruption, which in one aspect is the antitheses of honour.

Values and morality can simply be equated to things you will or will not do, these can also be linked back to corruption. So you see we have not digressed but taken a more holistic view, these issues are paramount in assessing a leaders credibility.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by edoyad(m): 2:33pm On Mar 11, 2010
It's obvious many of you have been outside the country for too long. Why did gsm only come into naija in 2001 though the rest of the world had already been enjoying cheap telecom for years ? What about the internet and other means of free flow of info ?
Nigerians are corrupt regardless of whether it is the military or civilians in power, see how the families of many retired generals live in comparison to the average hard working Nigerian. Nzeribe made money from selling arms to fuel wars that slaughtered people so his business'd naturally thrive in such conditions. I've never liked him though I've liked his rebellious nature over the years.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by mbulela: 2:39pm On Mar 11, 2010
Ibime:

I hope it is not the same Udenwa's daughter that i know?
Dude, you should not be patronizing such tales.you are wiser than that.
Udenwa was and is a crook.
I have a clue to his worth before he became a governor and a measure of his worth afterwards.
I know a few fronts that bought properties abroad for him.
the question is not who is a bigger thief.
Tell Udenwa's daughter (s) that the coming inferno will not spare the likes of her father.
Back to Nzeribe,
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by Afam(m): 2:42pm On Mar 11, 2010
SapeleGuy:

Accepting bribes from foreign contractors in Ghana.

With respect, if we are assessing an individuals credibility, then  source of wealth can't be ignored because it can be linked to corruption, which in one aspect is the antitheses of honour.
Values and morality can simply be equated to things you will or will not do, these can also be linked back to corruption. We have not digressed.

I see these as paramount in assessing a leaders credibility.

What constitutes bribe in one environment may not in another.

Even in the US law makers and senators collect bribes but they use the word lobbying to make sound like anything but bribe.

If the only crime you can attribute to Nzeribe today is that is collecting bribe from foreign contractors in Ghana then there is no case against the man.

A Nigerian being important to the extent that foreigner even give him bribe to influence decisions in another country Ghana!

Maybe he is as guilty as Bush that came to Nigeria a couple of weeks ago as he has no business coming down here if not to influence something as he was not on holidays.
Re: Nzeribe At It Again; Calls On Military To Take Over! by asha80(m): 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2010
mbulela:

I hope it is not the same Udenwa's daughter that i know?
Dude, you should not be patronizing such tales.you are wiser than that.
Udenwa was and is a crook.
I have a clue to his worth before he became a governor and a measure of his worth afterwards.
I know a few fronts that bought properties abroad for him.
the question is not who is a bigger thief.
Tell Udenwa's daughter (s) that the coming inferno will not spare the likes of her father.
Back to Nzeribe,

I wonder if it is the one that went to FUTO?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AEDC Disconnects Gov’t Offices In Niger State Over N1.9bn Debt / Boko Haram:we Have 100 Volunteer Suicide Bombers For 2011 High Profile Targets / Exposed. Why Yorubas Oppose Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.