Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,883 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 (12652 Views)

Atheists In The House, What Made You Stop Believing In Religion? / Are There Atheists In Nigeria? / Leaders Of World Religions Adopt Human Fraternity (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:35am On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

And add, the atheist also does not accept that there is a creator, a deity or spiritual beings.

That's not true . Atheists in Raelism accept there is a creator of life - aliens . You made a post that showed you that Confucians venerate spirits of their ancestors and that Confucians are atheists since Confucianism does not involve the worship of a deity . Atheists in Unitarian Universalism seek spiritual growth - they believe man has a spirit which needs growth .

Han folk religion is a non-theistic religion and they venerate spirits . There are atheists in Wicca practicing witchcraft and in Chaos Magic .

The pantheist sees the universe as a deity ; the ancient Chinese , Japanese , and Egyptians deified their rulers ; so you are saying atheists do not accept that the universe exists and aforementioned ancient people never had rulers undecided grin

For the last time , atheism is the rejection of deification . There is no way around this .

2 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by budaatum: 1:41am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Islam is growing rapidly in Europe while Christianity is declining in only few parts of Europe but is growing rapidly in Asia , Africa and some parts of South America . You focused on Christianity and totally forgot Islam and other religions that are springing up especially in countries like Iceland . Islam is expected to double the number of adherents by 2050 , that's how fast they are growing shocked

And for atheists , its a sorry state . Read what I told Felix :

As at 1970 when countries with high populations like China , North Korea , Soviet Union were ruled by atheists , the population of the world was at 3.7 billion with close to 170 million atheists .

Fast forward , the population of the world has doubled (numbers in billion ) and the number of atheists fell massively and was at 136 million after 40 years (2010) .

Do you see how bad it is ? This is beyond egregious ! cheesy grin
Isn't it funny how we are just about saying the same thing? Religious people are increasing on the whole. Islam is growing in Europe, definitely, due to immigration and higher birth rates. Christianity is decreasing though. It used to be the case in England that one was fined for not attending church, but today, many are relatively empty on Sunday. That said, Pentecostal Churches are growing in number and are now everywhere.

The reverse is however happening in China, to name one country. Christianity was banned for years, but liberalisation is allowing it to grow, and since there are lots of people in China, a small percentage growth is significant.

Besides, atheism is not exactly for the faint hearted. Who wouldn't like there to be a God watching over and protecting them in this harsh brutal world?

I'm going to bed. Have a good night now.
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by budaatum: 1:44am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

That's not true . Atheists in Raelism accept there is a creator of life - aliens . You made a post that showed you that Confucians venerate spirits of their ancestors and that Confucians are atheists since Confucianism does not involve the worship of a deity . Atheists in Unitarian Universalism seek spiritual growth - they believe man has a spirit which needs growth .

Han folk religion is a non-theistic religion and they venerate spirits . There are atheists in Wicca practicing witchcraft and in Chaos Magic .

The pantheist sees the universe as a deity ; the ancient Chinese , Japanese , and Egyptians deified their rulers ; so you are saying atheists do not accept that the universe exists and aforementioned ancient people never had rulers undecided grin

For the last time , atheism is the rejection of deification . There is no way around this .
I see we still have work to do on definitions! Would you accept atheism to mean the rejection of deities?
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:48am On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:
The reverse is however happening in China, to name one country. Christianity was banned for years, but liberalisation is allowing it to grow, and since there are lots of people in China, a small percentage growth is significant.

Christianity is growing rapidly in China , you can look it up

Besides, atheism is not exactly for the faint hearted. Who wouldn't like there to be a God watching over and protecting them in this harsh brutal world?

In Deism , God does not watch over or protect anyone (though some deists believe you can have a personal relationship with God ) since It does not intervene in the affairs of the universe or of men and they acknowledge God exists ! So this is not an excuse for the atheist , its rather a perspective had out of ignorance .

I'm going to bed. Have a good night now.

Good night

1 Like

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:50am On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

I see we still have work to do on definitions! Would you accept atheism to mean the rejection of deities?

I don't think you read my posts at all . I asked you this question : The pantheist sees the universe as a deity ; the ancient Chinese , Japanese , and Egyptians deified their rulers ; so you are saying atheists do not accept that the universe exists and aforementioned ancient people never had rulers since they are deities to these people ?
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by budaatum: 2:16am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I don't think you read my posts at all . I asked you this question : The pantheist sees the universe as a deity ; the ancient Chinese , Japanese , and Egyptians deified their rulers ; so you are saying atheists do not accept that the universe exists and aforementioned ancient people never had rulers since they are deities to these people ?
I don't think you read my posts!

The atheist will not take the position that the pantheist takes. Nor would they adopt that of the ancient Chinese, Japanese, or Egyptians. The atheist will say they are mistaken, that what they call deities are mere human beings or something else if it is based on an existing thing, and not that those things don't exist. But as far as God, ie Yahweh is concerned, or angels etc, the atheist will categorically say they do not exist and are a figment of the imagination of those who say they do. The atheist would claim anything that is deified is deified in error.

Please do not accuse me of not reading your responses to my posts. It implies I have no regard for your effort and that I am rude, and it is insulting. I am sure you are way more intelligent than to waste your valuable time with a person who doesn't even bother reading responses to their posts.
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:23am On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

The atheist will not take the position that the pantheist takes. Nor would they adopt that of the ancient Chinese, Japanese, or Egyptians. The atheist will say they are mistaken, that what they call deities are mere human beings or something else if it is based on an existing thing, and not that those things don't exist. But as far as God, ie Yahweh is concerned, or angels etc, the atheist will categorically say they do not exist and are a figment of the imagination of those who say they do. The atheist would claim anything that is deified is deified in error.

Please pay attention bro . Not every theist believes in Yahweh , Allah or any religious concept of God or angels grin . Not every theist believes that a creator of the universe exists . There are atheists who believe that the creator of the universe exists (First Cause) but they don't regard this First Cause as a deity like some theists do .

Are we now clear ?

Please do not accuse me of not reading your responses to my posts. It implies I have no regard for your effort and that I am rude, and it is insulting. I am sure you are way more intelligent than to waste your valuable time with a person who doesn't even bother reading responses to their posts.

You are making me repeat myself especially when you reiterated that atheists don't accept spiritual beings after I had listed where you can find atheists who believe in Witchcraft , spirits , even demons etc .

Sorry if you are offended but its not exciting to keep repeating yourself . If you have questions , you can ask me and Ill explain better - this is a much better way to go about this .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by JackBizzle: 5:22am On Oct 13, 2017
Fake news again from Kingebukasblog

The total population of religiously unaffiliated (atheists, agnostics, deists) is going to grow, it is just that it isn't growing faster than the total population growth.

The op just reads headlines and posts nonsense.

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:40am On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:
Fake news again from Kingebukasblog

The total population of religiously unaffiliated (atheists, agnostics, deists) is going to grow, it is just that it isn't growing faster than the total population growth.

The op just reads headlines and posts nonsense.

This is not about the religious affiliated or unaffiliated , this is about ATHEISTS ALONE - this includes atheists in religion and those outside religion.

See how everyone is easily exposing your illogical assertions , the continuous fall of JackBizzle cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by JackBizzle: 9:01am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

This is not about the religious affiliated or unaffiliated , this is about ATHEISTS ALONE - this includes atheists in religion and those outside religion.

See how everyone is easily exposing your illogical assertions , the continuous fall of JackBizzle cheesy grin

I did a longer debunking in my other thread. The sorce backing your stats in the op is an unreliable website.

Fake news
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:10am On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:

I did a longer debunking in my other thread. The sorce backing your stats in the op is an unreliable website.

Fake news

There is nothing to debunk , but there is more for you to sit down and understand .

Population of Atheists alone : ~ 170 million

World Population : 3.7 billion

Population of Atheists alone : ~140 million

World Population : 7 billion

Show me the growth , I'll wait ...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by JackBizzle: 9:25am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

There is nothing to debunk , but there is more for you to sit down and understand .

Population of Atheists alone : ~ 170 million

World Population : 3.7 billion

Show me the growth , I'll wait ...

Phil zuckerman estimates there to be 500 to 750 million atheists in the world. 7 to 10% as at 2007

According to sociologists Ariela Keysar and Juhem Navarro-Rivera's review of numerous global studies on atheism, there are 450 to 500 million positive atheists and agnostics worldwide (7% of the world's population)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#cite_note-CambridgeZuckerman-1

So why should i believe a dubious set of statistics from a christian site that claims that atheists are only 140 million in the world?

The worst estimates put atheists at 200 million. Only God knows whete your christian study centre got its stats from?

#Debunked

1 Like

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:37am On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:

Phil zuckerman estimates there to be 500 to 750 million atheists in the world. 7 to 10% as at 2007

According to sociologists Ariela Keysar and Juhem Navarro-Rivera's review of numerous global studies on atheism there are 450 to 500 million positive atheists and agnostics worldwide (7% of the world's population)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#cite_note-CambridgeZuckerman-1

So why should i believe a dubious set of statistics from a christian site that claims that atheists are only 140 million in the world?

The worst estimates put atheists at 200 million. Only God knows whete your christian study centre got its stats from?

#Debunked

I can see you are drunk this morning undecided . I told you atheists ALONE and you combined atheists and agnostics grin

4 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by JackBizzle: 11:13am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I can see you are drunk this morning undecided . I told you atheists ALONE and you combined atheists and agnostics grin

An agnostic is an atheist. Where have you seen any reputable studies counting agnostics alone?

Guy, you are a terrible liar.

Let me unfollow thiz thread and leave you with your lies
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by budaatum: 11:48am On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

My post did not claim Confusianists are atheists! Those who worship spirits are not atheists! Alien worshippers are not atheists!

You seem to want to define atheism your way. By your definition, a Sango worshipper can be an atheist. Most people would disagree.

Atheisms is a lack of belief in the existence of things theistic or anything else of the sort (aliens, spirits, angels, etc) that goes along with it. If one believes in the existence of anything of this sort, their atheism is questionable.

For your information, I know a Christian who claims to be an atheist. He loves the teachings of Christ and his Bible but he is not a believer, not even in Christ having lived. As he says, quoting from Porgee Bess, "The things you are likely to read in the Bible are not necessarily so".

Thanks for your time.
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:57am On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:

An agnostic is an atheist. Where have you seen any reputable studies counting agnostics alone?

An agnostic is an atheist ? grin I haven't seen anything this daft in a long time . undecided

3 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

Atheisms is a lack of belief in the existence of things theistic or anything else of the sort (aliens, spirits, angels, etc) that goes along with it. If one believes in the existence of anything of this sort, their atheism is questionable.

Thanks for your time.

You seem confused and only knowledge can rid this confusion out . Seek it . You don't know what atheism is that I can tell you .

https://www.thoughtco.com/atheism-incompatible-with-belief-in-souls-spirits-250441

2 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:09pm On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

For your information, I know a Christian who claims to be an atheist. He loves the teachings of Christ and his Bible but he is not a believer, not even in Christ having lived. As he says, quoting from Porgee Bess, "The things you are likely to read in the Bible are not necessarily so".

Thanks for your time.

He does not deify the creator of the universe who we call God but he acknowledges His existence , he does not deify Christ or anything and that makes him an atheist . There are Christian atheists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

Very obvious you know very little about atheism . Be humble and don't pontificate

2 Likes

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by felixomor: 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

An agnostic is an atheist ? grin I haven't seen anything this daft in a long time . undecided
Honestly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:36pm On Oct 13, 2017
felixomor:
Honestly.
The guy is a joke , a big one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by NairalandSARS: 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2017
rekinomtla:
Out of that 1.8 %, some believe God exists as as scientific studies has demonstrated. I had a friend like that, who declared himself an atheist yet still believed in God. He just hated God because of the tragic events in his life.
Your friend is not an atheist.
He is a misotheist.
Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:

According to sociologists Ariela Keysar and Juhem Navarro-Rivera's review of numerous global studies on atheism, there are 450 to 500 million positive atheists and agnostics worldwide (7% of the world's population)

#Debunked

Mega jumbo dumbo the thread is solely about atheists and you are bringing in a goal post shift. grin

So you brought your monotonous stupidity to this thread as well?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:03pm On Oct 13, 2017
JackBizzle:

Mega Ode an agnostic is not an atheist. grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by dalaman: 7:10pm On Oct 13, 2017
So what if atheism is in massive decline? How does that that give credence to the mythology that is Islam, hindusim, Buddaism, Taoism and Christianity?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2017
^^^^
||||||

He agrees that atheism is on a global decline. That's a good start. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by NairalandSARS: 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2017
budaatum:

Atheist do not "say" anything. They simply do not believe in the God or gods whether personal or not.

1 Like

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:20pm On Oct 13, 2017
dalaman:
So what if atheism is in massive decline? How does that that give credence to the mythology that is Islam, hindusim, Buddaism, Taoism and Christianity?

Vacuums are meant to be filled. Any absence of one thing means something else has to replace it. This thread is not about any of Christianity or Hinduism or Taoism etc getting credence (stop trying to shift the goalpost as always) grin

It's simply a credible empirically submitted report about the massive decline of atheism worldwide. If people are dumping it this quickly it simply shows that :

1. People naturally do not want to be associated with stupid things for long

2. People are prone to change and often times would prefer better to worse

3. Self examination forces change. In this case, self examination exposes an emptiness in atheism and since everyone feels a need for love (which atheism often denies) they would gravitate towards the light and away from the cold darkness.

4. Atheism is a transit point do is extremely temporal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by dalaman: 7:27pm On Oct 13, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Vacuums are meant to be filled. Any absence of one thing means something else has to replace it. This thread is not about any of Christianity or Hinduism or Taoism etc getting credence (stop trying to shift the goalpost as always) grin

It's simply a credible empirically submitted report about the massive decline of atheism worldwide. If people are dumping it this quickly it simply shows that :

1. People naturally do not want to be associated with stupid things for long

2. People are prone to change and often times would prefer better to worse

3. Self examination forces change. In this case, self examination exposes an emptiness in atheism and since everyone feels a need for love (which atheism often denies) they would gravitate towards the light and away from the cold darkness.

4. Atheism is a transit point do is extremely temporal.

Long words that mean nothing. Even if people are leaving atheism means nothing, because it has nothing to do with the veracity of its claims. Islam is projected to be the religion with the highest number of adherents in the world in a few facades to come, does that mean that Islam is true?

Hindusim is also expected to increase, what has that got to do with its claim about Brahma?

How does the increase in the number of christians disprove that christianity isn't based on unproven mythology?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2017
dalaman:

Long words that mean nothing. Even if people are leaving atheism means nothing, because it has nothing to do with the veracity of its claims. Islam is projected to be the religion with the highest number of adherents in the world in a few facades to come, dies that mean that Islam is true?

Hindusim is also expected to increase, what has that got to do with its claim about Brahma?

How does the increase in the number of christians disprove that christianity isn't based on unproven mythology?

Again this thread is not about your goal post shifting positions about credence of any religion. As much as you would want this to be so it is not. So I beg to decline your subtle offer to help you derail. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by dalaman: 7:46pm On Oct 13, 2017
butterflyl1on:

Again this thread is not about your goal post shifting positions about credence of any religion. As much as you would want this to be so it is not. So I beg to decline your subtle offer to help you derail. grin

So what if people are leaving atheism? How does that stop the world religions from.being man made mythologies is my question. Move along if you can't provide answers to the question.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by butterflyl1on: 7:50pm On Oct 13, 2017
dalaman:

So what if people are leaving atheism? How does that stop the world religions from.being man made mythologies is my question. Move along if you can't provide answers to the question.

This thread does not hold the answers to your goal post shifting attempts ogbeni.

Seek for them elsewhere grin

This thread is on the gradual demise of atheism simple and short cheesy

Now move along and search for the thread that holds the answer to your questions grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2017
dalaman:

That is the not the point of this thread , no goal shifting sir . The point of the thread is the show that atheists are in massive decline . It is fallacious to argue that the greater number supporting a proposition makes it true - you are the one suggesting this not me or butterflyl1on

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If You Are A Christian, But You Don't Tithe, Do You Go To Hell? / Has Life Circumstances Made You Complain Bitterly Against God? / Should Catholic Priests be Allowed to Get Married?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.