Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe (79275 Views)

Did You Know That? Igbo Is Third Largest Ethnic Group In Bioko,equatorial Guinea / Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbo Speaking Tribe Discovered In Equatorial Guinea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Maski87: 5:29pm On Oct 18, 2017
Ibo,people una,wan take style go chop them oil money for equatorial guinea
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 5:31pm On Oct 18, 2017
Nice post however i would like to correct a certain misconception made by the OP.
The Igbos of Equitorial Guinea are not from Arochukwu but they come from different parts of Igboland.
Have you ever heard about an older igbo folk speak about Fernando po or Panya?
That is because igbo people were sent to work in Panya as indectured servants unfortunately many of them didn't come back.
They were practically recuited to provide services in farms and elsewhere.
Secondly, some freed slaves who were originally victims of Trans Atlantic slavery were dumped in Sierra leon and Panya, and that includes other ethnicities.
Thirdly,some starving children of the Biafran civil war were airlifted to this country but they never came back again.
Fourtly, recent migrations have also introduced modern igbos to the aforementioned community. Many of those that recently migrated are hustlers and business men.
So igbos have a lot of attachment to this country and it behooves us to reach out to them because they are our kiths and kins.
P.s One of my great aunts also migrated to Equatorial guinea and became completely immersed in the culture and even learnt to speak their language according to what i was told. But she died a long time after she came back otherwise she would have served as a good research source.

OP, edit to avoid propagating wrong information.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 5:37pm On Oct 18, 2017
Afam4eva:
The stories i heard about the Igbos in Fernando Po (Now Bioko) is that they were Igbos who ran to Equatorial Guinea during the civil war and stayed there. If this is the case then the Igbo shouldn't be that different from what is spoken in Nigeria.
As a linguist,i can tell you it doesn't work like that.
Language like culture is dynamic,it grows and changes moreso when it is seperated from it's roots or is in constant contact with other languages.
If our ancestors from the 13th century are allowed to hear the sort of Igbo we speak in 2017,i doubt they will be able to fully to understand us. The speech pattern might be there but the lexical items and words may not be the same.

11 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by room089: 5:38pm On Oct 18, 2017
Very interesting!

Never knew we had igbos outside the shores of this country. Though I've heard tales of 'Panya/Fernando Po' were 90% of people that migrated to that it during the war came back empty handed: only with pillows. It was a place of highlife with little worries about tomorrow.

Something too needs to be done to strengthen ties with the hundreds of the mal-nurished children that were taken to Gabon and Cote d'ivore during the civil war.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Afam4eva(m): 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2017
KemjikaEme:

As a linguist,i can tell you it doesn't work like that.
Language like culture is dynamic,it grows and changes moreso when it is seperated from it's roots or is in constant contact with other languages.
If our ancestors from the 13th century are allowed to hear the sort of Igbo we speak in 2017,i doubt they will be able to fully to understand us. The speech pattern might be there but the lexical items and words may not be the same.
I'm aware of how languages grow apart but i was referring to the fact that if the people in Bioko left only few decades ago then the difference shouldn't be much.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Oloripelebe: 5:42pm On Oct 18, 2017
melzabull:
I knew it wouldn't be long before one accursed, WASTEd, coneheaded, tiger-claw face idiot will come and display inbreed stupidty inherent in his people

angry grin grin ;Dlemme see ur head too grin grin
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by jollymizzle(m): 5:45pm On Oct 18, 2017
ZaraGift:
When I was on 2go I met a guy on 2go international bearing Chibuike, but his location was Equatorial Guinea, by then I thought Equatorial Guinea was very far country/not even in African,
I asked the boy where he from and he said "IMO State", I asked where in IMO state and he said he didn't know,
I told him where I'm from in IMO state and asked again thinking he didn't want to tell me but my guy man no know, I became angry and started insulting him, he was 21yr old, I said how can person who is 21yr old not know his local government area talk less of community . He didn't tell me any thing about Igbo people their, he only told me he was born there so deleted him from my friend list.

Later when I was making use of world fact book app.2011
I discovered that Igbo ethnic group is in Equatorial Guinea.
these our Eastern Brothers sef. cheesy, it's in the blood

6 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by ZaraGift: 5:55pm On Oct 18, 2017
TimeManager:
How can a mere 33,500 out of 1.2million be regarded a tribe?
Igbos were refugees turned settlers in Equatorial Guinea, as such they are never indigenous to it.

kiss the truth!

Waste who accepted Fulani as their and even allowed Fulani's to rule over them have something to say here

Smh

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2017
Probz:

That’s right Frankie. God knows if it’s still an official Igbo lect or if it’s to us now what Igala is to Yoruba (after centuries of isolation). Even in Nigeria certain dialects have more proto-Igbo features than others.

F*ck knows if Abakaliki’s more proto-Igbo. Their language genuinely sounds like Somali to me.
Biko! Pls leave Abakaliki dialect alone. Igbo is a dialect continum,and more subgroups and dialects were bound to appear on the scene if colonialism had not happened. The further away Igbo dialects are the more different it becomes. The more closer they are to non igbo groups,the more difference is observed. E.g all peripheral igbo groups.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by RGem(f): 6:23pm On Oct 18, 2017
Quite an interesting thread .
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Alwaystruth: 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2017
It is true and even the president of Gabon knows that but because of politics he won't admit that in public.
Take a careful look of these two photos and you will know the truth.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by guyXander(m): 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2017
Probz:

I’ve always admired your passion b. Doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.
I would like to be a part of that project. Wouldn't be a bad venture.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by PenSniper: 6:31pm On Oct 18, 2017
They look like immigrants-turned slaves who could do with some rehabilitation, cloths and food.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KingOfSkills: 6:36pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Populations: 33,500
Related tribes: Igbo People of Nigeria
Notable Personality: William Napoleon Barleycor de Fernando Poo, escribio el primer libro sobre la cultura bubi. Nacio en Santa Isabel (malabo). Murio en Inglaterra.

William Napoleon Barleycorn (1848–1925), born in Santa Isabel, Fernando Po, Spanish Guinea and a Krio Fernandino of Igbo descent,[1] was a Primitive Methodist missionary who went to Fernando Po (now known as Bioko) in Africa in the early 1880s. From there, he traveled to Edinburgh University.
HISTORY
Equatorial Guinea is located at the Eastern end of the Gulf of Guinea, West coast of Africa, the only African Country situated in the middle of the ocean, outside African map separated by water, the only Spanish speaking. Among the tribes are the Igbo people who also inhabit South Eastern Nigeria, off the Bight of Biafra, the Bubi and Fang ethnic groups and among other tribes.

The Igbo as officially declared by the government of Equatorial Guinea is third largest after Fang and Bubi tribes, and occupies a small area in Bioko, their communities are small compared to Bubi and Fang. Majority of them migrated to Bioko from Arochukwu Abia state.

Check 2012 report in Bioko,

'The Igbo of Equatorial Guinea, numbering 33,500, are No Longer unreached. They are part of the Igbo people cluster within the Sub-Saharan African affinity bloc, this group, though a minority of people rank third largest in Equatorial Guinea, a country with total population of 1.2Million people. Their primary language is Igbo. The primary religion practiced by the Igbo is marginal Christianity, a form of religion with roots in Christianity but not theologically Christian".

BIOKO
Formerly known as Fernando Po, is the largest region in Equatorial Guinea, they speak the Pigin English, Spanish foreign language, and Fang, Igbo and Bubi indigenous languages. The original inhabitants of Bioko are of a group called Bubi, descendants of mainland Bantu tribes, they are warlike, fought and defeated the Fang, and pushed them to inland part while they occupy the coastal areas, the Fang is also an ethnic group in Cameroon. Bioko also is home to descendants of former slaves who were freed in the nineteenth century. Many Bubi have recently immigrated to the continent, and along with other, smaller Bantu-speaking tribes, comprise the remaining 10 percent of the population in Río Muni. Minority tribes include the Kombe, Balengue, Bujebas.

Most people's daily lives are conducted in tribal languages, either Fang, Bubi, or Ibo, all of which are in the Bantu family of languages.
National Identity. Equatorial Guineans identify first with their tribe or ethnic group, second with the nation. The current country was formed during Spanish rule, linking the main island of Bioko with the mainland territory, despite the fact that the two were culturally distinct. Since the unification of the two, there has been some intermingling and migration, particularly of mainland Fang to Bubi-inhabited Bioko. The Fang tribe itself is not limited to the Río Muni area, but extends also north into Cameroon and south into Gabon.
Ethnic Relations. Legally there is no discrimination against ethnic or racial minorities, but in practice this is not the case. The Bubi have experienced persecution under the post-independence government. Prior to independence, the group formed a majority on Bioko. However, since 1968, many Fang migrated to the island, and a small subclan, the Mongomo, has dominated the government. There is resentment and violence not only between the Bubi and the Fang but also between the Mongomo and other Fang subgroups.

INDEPENDENCE OF BIOKO

The Bubi, a warlike tribe are leading the independence struggle, a proposed Country that includes the Igbo minority and Fang, though there is no record of any opposition to the demands for Republic of Bioko by Fang and the Igbo.

in that case, Biafra might succeed there, not in Nigeria, because what we have here is a very serious Fulani Military Federal Govt.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by billyG(m): 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2017
i dnt giv a fpuck every body iz a migrant.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Chukazu: 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Same here. I first learned about them back in the late 90s during a Christmas visit to my maternal hometown. My uncle (mother's brother), had a factbook in his room which I was going through and saw 'Ibo' listed as a language in EG. I couldn't believe my eyes. This my uncle also used to lovingly speak of a far-off place called 'panya' which he visited or would visit and even told us then that he would take us to panya. I'm guessing bioko is the very panya he was referring to. Tekno also sang about going to 'panya' in one of his recent songs.

growing as a kid, that word "PANYA" was always used as a riddle , somersault of secret abode by my BIAFRA soldiers uncles and one never really decode the real meaning,but now it's making some sense
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Chukazu: 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2017
Alwaystruth:
It is true and even the president of Gabon knows that but because of politics he won't admit that in public.
Take a careful look of these two photos and you will know the truth.

yea...I heard Omar Bongo never had a biological Son

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by ugofr(f): 6:55pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I'm really serious about this. I will fly to Equatorial Guinea in a few years for a personal tour myself to meet this wonderful set of people and raise awareness about their existence to our brothers in Nigeria. They must not be forgotten.
I would love to be there too. One might learn one or two things. very nice work. Jisie ike nwoke oma.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by RedboneSmith(m): 6:58pm On Oct 18, 2017
centboy123456:

really how do u know this

There are quite a number of research papers published on indentured servitude on the plantations of Fernando Po/Bioko. This is the Information Age, sir. Use that gadget in your hands.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 18, 2017
interesting! fascinating infact! there are Also some Igbos in brazil, cuba and American island of Haiti.
I am going to equitorial guinea soon to find out for myself. this is fantanstic!

my parents are Igbo and i am obssessed with the IGBO language, Igbo is a fantastic language, Fantastic culture beautiful women dressed half nakid in igbo traditional attire, with wide hips and enermously soft bottoms. tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 7:28pm On Oct 18, 2017
Just talked to an advanced igbo folk and he said Equatorial Guinea also called Panya was where some ex igbo soldiers and people migrated to after the war. Many of them came back emptyhanded since then Panya has been prejudiced as a place where one migrated and came back without any significant achievement.
Panya is also associated with music and enjoyment.
OP's narrative about Arochukwu igbos of Equatorial Guinea is flawed and misleading. Pls edit or attach the other narratives.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by MTKbudapest(m): 7:32pm On Oct 18, 2017
Youdonmeanit!
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 7:37pm On Oct 18, 2017
gypsey:
interesting! fascinating infact! there Also some Igbos in brazil, cuba and American island of Haiti.
I am going to equitorial guinea soon to find out for myself. this is fantanstic.

my parents are Igbo and i am obssessed with the IGBO language, Igbo is fantastic language, Fantastic culture beautiful women dressed half nakid in igbo traditional attire, with wide hips and enermously soft bottoms. tongue
Lol! I think the big hip stuff is a modern development. Pre colonial and colonial Artistic and real life representation of Igbo maiden more often than not show slim women with fine features which is in contrast with artistic/real life representation of voluptous women in Ibibio/Efik women.

The only time igbos admired big bottoms/hips was shortly before and after marriage, pregnancy and omugwo. After that,you gotta shed some pounds off that hips and get into your farm.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by nothernstar: 7:46pm On Oct 18, 2017
Nawoo. This Igbo ppl. Una be Mtn 'everywhere you go'. Nice to know. I bet you. In the nearest 100 years, igbo language will be official language in most part of Nigeria and beyond judging from their itinerant life style and biz nature. Eg in Okota, festac in Lagos, igbo language is the dominant language there.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by salt1: 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2017
Why are Igbo's always the third largest group?
When will they be first?

I heard that many Igbo criminals were also exiled to Panya which was seen as a better option than killing them.
Op is it true?
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by karlboss: 7:53pm On Oct 18, 2017
This is nice
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by victrick105: 8:10pm On Oct 18, 2017
illicit:
abeg forget language
what this people need is obviously food and empowerment

did they tell you they are hungry?...forget how untidy they look. Many of them might be fishermen and farmers...and don't be surprised that they may feed better than you here in Nigeria.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by cbrass(m): 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2017
scholes0:
According to wiki

334,463*0.07 = 23,412 Igbos in Bioko Island, circa (2015)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioko

Joshua project on its part says there are 36,000 Igbos in all Equatorial Guinea (Bioko plus the Mainland) in 2017, ranking fourth after Fang (545,000), Bubi/Fernandian (63,000), and Yoruba (72,000)

https://joshuaproject.net/countries/EK

Yoruba too? shocked
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 18, 2017
KemjikaEme:

Lol! I think the big hip stuff is a modern development. Pre colonial and colonial Artistic and real life representation of Igbo maiden more often than not show slim women with fine features which is in contrast with artistic/real life representation of voluptous women in Ibibio/Efik women.

The only time igbos admired big bottoms/hips was shortly before and after marriage, pregnancy and omugwo. After that,you gotta shed some pounds off that hips and get into your farm.
Really? tell me more! grin grin the black ebony shiny Igbo women skin, with a mixture of red and pink beads round the waist and thick thighs arms and body tongue
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 18, 2017
tishbite41:
Afonja

Thank you for busting him. I was wondering why is it taking so long to be identified until I saw your post. Made me happy. Afonjas are envious things

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by erimmy(m): 8:26pm On Oct 18, 2017
scholes0:

I heard some igbos migrated to Gabon during the civil war too.
Is it true Omar Bongo is igbo.?
Yes,Omar Bongo is an Igbo boy who was adopted by the late President.
Remember during his re-election bid, the people of Gabon asked him to return to his native Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) / Ethiopian Women Beaten Before They Marry (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.