Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,699 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:36 PM

Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe (79292 Views)

Did You Know That? Igbo Is Third Largest Ethnic Group In Bioko,equatorial Guinea / Ezza: Indigenous Igbos Of Benue State Celebrate Cultural Festival / Igbo Speaking Tribe Discovered In Equatorial Guinea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 8:30pm On Oct 18, 2017
gypsey:
Really? tell me more! grin grin the black ebony shiny Igbo women skin, with a mixture of red and pink beads round the waist and thick thighs tongue
Lol! Show me a pre colonial and colonial picture. Igbos of 100yrs ago were not obsessed with thickness.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Martin0(m): 8:44pm On Oct 18, 2017
gypsey:
Really? tell me more! grin grin the black ebony shiny Igbo women skin, with a mixture of red and pink beads round the waist and thick thighs arms and body tongue

Oh oo there must be enough jolly jolly when u returncheesycheesycheesy
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by lastempero: 8:52pm On Oct 18, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Actually they have been there long before the Civil War.

They started arriving there in the 1920s, if not earlier, to work as labourers on the Spanish Cocoa Plantations.
U are right my broda,my granni use to tell me abt them,the younger brother always travels to that place and it was long before d civil war.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by billpete89: 8:54pm On Oct 18, 2017
DozieInc:

I got a call so I hurriedly commented 'ok' that is my way of book marking this topic so that I wouldnt miss it.

As an Igbo, I find this topic particularly interesting, it is good to know of Igbo groups in other countries, this is a good topic to research on.

Even me bro

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Martin0(m): 8:55pm On Oct 18, 2017
gypsey:
interesting! fascinating infact! there are Also some Igbos in brazil, cuba and American island of Haiti.
I am going to equitorial guinea soon to find out for myself. this is fantanstic!

my parents are Igbo and i am obssessed with the IGBO language, Igbo is a fantastic language, Fantastic culture beautiful women dressed half nakid in igbo traditional attire, with wide hips and enermously soft bottoms. tongue

Hahahahahahcheesycheesycheesy
Mmadu-ka-na-yacheesycheesy
U don finish mecheesycheesy
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by ladensmith(m): 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Populations: 33,500
Related tribes: Igbo People of Nigeria
Notable Personality: William Napoleon Barleycor de Fernando Poo, escribio el primer libro sobre la cultura bubi. Nacio en Santa Isabel (malabo). Murio en Inglaterra.

William Napoleon Barleycorn (1848–1925), born in Santa Isabel, Fernando Po, Spanish Guinea and a Krio Fernandino of Igbo descent,[1] was a Primitive Methodist missionary who went to Fernando Po (now known as Bioko) in Africa in the early 1880s. From there, he traveled to Edinburgh University.
HISTORY
Equatorial Guinea is located at the Eastern end of the Gulf of Guinea, West coast of Africa, the only African Country situated in the middle of the ocean, outside African map separated by water, the only Spanish speaking. Among the tribes are the Igbo people who also inhabit South Eastern Nigeria, off the Bight of Biafra, the Bubi and Fang ethnic groups and among other tribes.

The Igbo as officially declared by the government of Equatorial Guinea is third largest after Fang and Bubi tribes, and occupies a small area in Bioko, their communities are small compared to Bubi and Fang. Majority of them migrated to Bioko from Arochukwu Abia state.

Check 2012 report in Bioko,

'The Igbo of Equatorial Guinea, numbering 33,500, are No Longer unreached. They are part of the Igbo people cluster within the Sub-Saharan African affinity bloc, this group, though a minority of people rank third largest in Equatorial Guinea, a country with total population of 1.2Million people. Their primary language is Igbo. The primary religion practiced by the Igbo is marginal Christianity, a form of religion with roots in Christianity but not theologically Christian".

BIOKO
Formerly known as Fernando Po, is the largest region in Equatorial Guinea, they speak the Pigin English, Spanish foreign language, and Fang, Igbo and Bubi indigenous languages. The original inhabitants of Bioko are of a group called Bubi, descendants of mainland Bantu tribes, they are warlike, fought and defeated the Fang, and pushed them to inland part while they occupy the coastal areas, the Fang is also an ethnic group in Cameroon. Bioko also is home to descendants of former slaves who were freed in the nineteenth century. Many Bubi have recently immigrated to the continent, and along with other, smaller Bantu-speaking tribes, comprise the remaining 10 percent of the population in Río Muni. Minority tribes include the Kombe, Balengue, Bujebas.

Most people's daily lives are conducted in tribal languages, either Fang, Bubi, or Ibo, all of which are in the Bantu family of languages.
National Identity. Equatorial Guineans identify first with their tribe or ethnic group, second with the nation. The current country was formed during Spanish rule, linking the main island of Bioko with the mainland territory, despite the fact that the two were culturally distinct. Since the unification of the two, there has been some intermingling and migration, particularly of mainland Fang to Bubi-inhabited Bioko. The Fang tribe itself is not limited to the Río Muni area, but extends also north into Cameroon and south into Gabon.
Ethnic Relations. Legally there is no discrimination against ethnic or racial minorities, but in practice this is not the case. The Bubi have experienced persecution under the post-independence government. Prior to independence, the group formed a majority on Bioko. However, since 1968, many Fang migrated to the island, and a small subclan, the Mongomo, has dominated the government. There is resentment and violence not only between the Bubi and the Fang but also between the Mongomo and other Fang subgroups.

INDEPENDENCE OF BIOKO

The Bubi, a warlike tribe are leading the independence struggle, a proposed Country that includes the Igbo minority and Fang, though there is no record of any opposition to the demands for Republic of Bioko by Fang and the Igbo.

i commend you for this beautiful research...
The assertion that igbo are from Israel is right.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by martins946: 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2017
Igbo look-alike
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by kechywillz(m): 9:43pm On Oct 18, 2017
I will surely one day go and see my far way brothers nd sisters there too,that language, culture must not die
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by BiafraIShere(m): 10:18pm On Oct 18, 2017
melzabull:
another WASTEd adidas-faced suffersticated conehead
from a region proficient for rituals, incest, fettishness, marital prostitution etc

Funny when a child from SKULLandia kingdom accuses another of ritual.

why not worry instead about retaining your oblong head on your body when next you visit your slums in obomoso and Ogun state?

Better a drug dealer than a human parts dealer

Very funny lady you are indeed. I kept laughing over your comments and had to peep at your profile but unfortunately saw picture loading... Could you please add me on whatsapp nwanyi oma, my number is on my signature, onwere ihe nchoro igwa gi. Inugo?

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by nextexcel: 10:26pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I'm really serious about this. I would like to fly to Equatorial Guinea in a few years for a personal tour myself to meet this wonderful set of people and raise awareness about their existence to our brothers in Nigeria. They must not be forgotten.
to those of you who such grace of igbo unification and progress are given pls don't think you are alone as it mature find a way to keep us updated if it's money for pure water that I contribute I will be glad sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by FBIL: 10:30pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Yea, I'm aware. Some places also say bia kaa. Ikwerre would say bia paa.

However, the main point now is strengthening our ties between the homeland and those in Bioko. How can we go about it?
Ezza clan in Ebonyi State say ''bia ikaa'', meaning ''come here''. ''Bia ikaa nwokem'' means ''come here my friend''. Incidentally, many old men in today's Abakaliki lived in ''Fernando Po'' which most of them not properly schooled would give stories of life in ''Franda Po'' grin grin. This is interesting though!!
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Turantula(m): 11:21pm On Oct 18, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Yea, I'm aware. Some places also say bia kaa. Ikwerre would say bia paa.

However, the main point now is strengthening our ties between the homeland and those in Bioko. How can we go about it?
Achi in Oji River, Enugu state say 'bia ka' for come here
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by GoldenChiddy: 12:02am On Oct 19, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted within the igbo-British community. Have a look at the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ae1OHJMJQo
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by victor8269: 12:12am On Oct 19, 2017
Ebimor96:
So them go claim that region?

Igbo kwe nu!!!!!!
I know say u go finally disgrace yourself

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by victor8269: 12:17am On Oct 19, 2017
What's the essence of me being an African if I can't be Igbo?

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 1:18am On Oct 19, 2017
Probz:

Ndu Oka use bia ika a for no. It’s not just an Equatorial Guinea thing.

Bia ika a is not restricted to equatorial guinea. It is also spoken in present day Nigeria of both SS/SE
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Probz(m): 1:21am On Oct 19, 2017
okenta2017:

Bia ika a is not restricted to equatorial guinea. It is also spoken in present day Nigeria of both SS/SE

Is that not exactly what I f*cking said? Are you stupid?
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 1:27am On Oct 19, 2017
scholes0:

I heard some igbos migrated to Gabon during the civil war too.
Is it true Omar Bongo is igbo.?

YES
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 1:42am On Oct 19, 2017
bigfrancis21:

The rumors about his Igbo origins are quite strong. It is often said that thousands of Igbo kids were adopted and flown out of Nigeria during the Biafran war and majority of them never came back. Here is what this person had to say about him:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/for-being-born-in-nigeria-bongo-may/

His middle name, ondimba, may have an Igbo meaning if it is truly Igbo, who knows.

With the way Fulani's kill Nigerians you will understand that they are not Nigerians. Any tribe that is indegenous to Nigeria

either in the North or South will not be slaughtering ferlow Nigerians the way they do without provocation.. In order to conceel this

HISTORY was removed in the school cariculum
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 1:50am On Oct 19, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Same here. I first learned about them back in the late 90s during a Christmas visit to my maternal hometown. My uncle (mother's brother), had a factbook in his room which I was going through and saw 'Ibo' listed as a language in EG. I couldn't believe my eyes. This my uncle also used to lovingly speak of a far-off place called 'panya' which he visited or would visit and even told us then that he would take us to panya. I'm guessing bioko is the very panya he was referring to. Tekno also sang about going to 'panya' in one of his recent songs.

In Igbo language EG is called panyan

In those day Aba was their London
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 1:54am On Oct 19, 2017
DozieInc:

I got a call so I hurriedly commented 'ok' that is my way of book marking this topic so that I wouldnt miss it.

As an Igbo, I find this topic particularly interesting, it is good to know of Igbo groups in other countries, this is a good topic to research on.

Let me give you information that will surprise you. Majority of these people are Aro. Benue and IMO

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 2:08am On Oct 19, 2017
oglalasioux:
Igbos know about this people. There's no village or community that doesn't have someone who has been there. There are dances and masquerades in my community that have their origins from Equatorial Guinea.

You are 100% correct
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by scholes0(m): 2:09am On Oct 19, 2017
nothernstar:
Nawoo. This Igbo ppl. Una be Mtn 'everywhere you go'. Nice to know. I bet you. In the nearest 100 years, igbo language will be official language in most part of Nigeria and beyond judging from their itinerant life style and biz nature. Eg in Okota, festac in Lagos, igbo language is the dominant language there.

Lol, tell me something.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okenta2017: 2:10am On Oct 19, 2017
mustafa006:
say no more! the shape of there head in first pic says everything

There head is flat as my
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by omoiyalayi(m): 5:25am On Oct 19, 2017
Will it not have been better for Nnamdi kanu and his cohort to migrate to that side instead of shouting biafra up n down?
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by KemjikaEme: 7:04am On Oct 19, 2017
okenta2017:

Let me give you information that will surprise you. Majority of these people are Aro. Benue and IMO
I particularly think it's good to stay away from generalization esp when one doesn't have enough evidence and statistic to back up a statement.
There are different factors that led to the presence of Igbos in Equatorial guinea and they come from different parts of Igboland.
There is nothing that suggest that majority of them come from a particular section of Igboland.
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by donpope1(m): 7:17am On Oct 19, 2017
Growing up I used to hear about a very rich uncle based in panya.. Not just him during Ekpe festival many of them used to come home..
I'm from Ohafia
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by okwudiriokoro(m): 7:18am On Oct 19, 2017
Wow...Never knew bout dis . Ishilove pls wer are u from??
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by prodigy24: 7:28am On Oct 19, 2017
And nobody is talking about how they are pioneering their own independent! Igbo people love freedom so much. They made it in Haiti, America. They will achieve it in Nigeria and Bioko.
Wait so this panya that I used to hear is real?
Even bracket the music group have it in their song. I hear panya every now and then but I don't know the origin. Now its clearer.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Ishilove: 7:32am On Oct 19, 2017
okwudiriokoro:
Wow...Never knew bout dis
Ishilove pls wer are u from??
Anioma
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by Awaja(m): 7:54am On Oct 19, 2017
That's good to know ,chachacha igbokwenu! Heem
Re: Igbos Of Bioko, Equatorial Guinea - A Forgotten Minority Tribe by 3Ceagle(m): 8:25am On Oct 19, 2017
Igboid:
Good one.

Good to see that they are not suffering from identity crisis, though now surrounded by non Igbo neighbors and their original Igbo dialect now corrupted by importation and borrowing of non Igbo words, expressions and intonations from their fang and Bubi neighbors, this people still retained the Igbo identity.

Kudos to them.

Too bad we the Igbos in Nigeria can't be of much help to them in their independence struggle from equatorial guinea, seeing as we too are trapped in a retrogressive Nigeria entity and are struggling to free ourselves too.

An independent Igbo nation would have offered them better assistance.

Nevertheless, nothing stops us from reestablishing contact with them, as long as it doesn't draw the discomfort of their fang and Bubi neighbors who might start feeling that their allegiance is no longer to the island, but to the Igbo in Nigeria.
This could backfire and put the Igbos in Bioko in disadvantaged position, as their Bioko neighbors might start alienating them, as paranoia driven stories of plans of Igbos In Nigeria to invade the island and take control with the help of Bioko Igbos might be hatched by evil power brokers in Bioko.

So, I say we play this one cool with tact, and not be rash with decisions, to avoid puting those precious Igbos in Bioko at a disadvantaged position in their lovely island, or put them in position where they would have to start publicly denying their Igbo identity and allegiance, in order to ensure acceptance in the island by the Fangs and Bubi and enhance their survival by appealing to the paranoia of their non Igbo neighbors .

Once again, Bigfrancis1, this is a lovely thread. You made my day with it.

I agree we you in totality. Further to comment, it will be good to see some research done by our Igbo historians and linguist in the academia. The problem with Africans is that we have always left research study of ourselves to the white world, who rightly are always thirsty for knowledge. This goes to other spoken languages in Nigeria too.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Misuzulu KaZwelithini, Zulu King In First Reed Dance With Virgin Maidens / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) / Ethiopian Women Beaten Before They Marry (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.