Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,443 members, 7,781,290 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:53 AM

USA Visit Visa Part 3 - Travel (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Visit Visa Part 3 (1161817 Views)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / USA Visit Visa Part 4 / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (508) (Go Down)

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by abnot: 6:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
Lawlek:
My experience on the US B1/B2 Visa application.

I paid for the visa application sometime in February this year. Myself, my wife and 3 kids. I filled the online forms myself and booked appointment for a datw in March (9:45am) with plans to travel in April.

On the day for the interview, we were turned back due to irregular appointment number. It was only my number that reflected on all other co-applicants appointments. We were told to reschedule in 72 hours.

I did as was told and choose, a date in May and also changed the date of our planned vacation to July.

Fast forward to May. We got to the Lagos office very early in the morning. Paid the usual #500 for parking. We ate our breakfast first and then proceeded to the queue and in we went because everything was alright this time.

After a lady confirmed out appointment etc, we joined the queue for the biometric. Myself, my wife and my 14 year old son. The other 2 children were younger than 14, so no need for biometric. After this, we again joined the queue for the interview proper. It was as if it was the judgment day. We could clear hear other visa applicants confessing before the VO. Some were almost begging, I could hear some lying with a straight face.

We were directed to cubicle 8. The VO was all smile. He was the same guy that did our biometric. The lady (applicant) directly before me was denied. My turn

VO: Good morning, immediately looking at his computer screen
Me: Good morning

VO: You are a .... (My job)?
Me: Yes.

VO: What is ...(a question only my professional colleagues would know).
Me: I defined the term without blinking nor 2nd thought.

VO: How many years have you been in practice of your trade?
Me: 8 years now.

VO: What Company do you work for?
Me: Named the Company sharply.

VO: Tell me about your daily work.
Me: I coincisely narrated my daily assignment.

VO: Hello Ma'am (my wife) where do you work?
My wife: I work with the Lagos State Government.

VO: Where?
My wife: Local Government.

VO: Which local government?
My wife: ... Local government.

VO: What level are you?
My wife: Level 9.

VO: Why are you traveling?
Me: Family Vacation.

VO: Do you know anyone in the US?
Me: No.

VO: Which State are you going in the US?
Me: Miami, Florida.

VO: How long do you intend to stay in the US?
Me: Just 2 weeks.

VO: Do you have any other kids aside from these 3?
Me: No. Just these 3.

VO: Do you guys have travel experiences?

VO: Where and where?
Me: UK, Germany, Spain and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

VO: You madam?
My wpaperKingdom of Saudi Arabia.

VO: Where are the Visas? I can't find them in your international passports?
Me: Yes, they are in our old international passports.

VO: And where are they?
Me: I left them in the car. I was told not to bring them in.

VO: Who told you not to bring them in?

He continued... Reaching for a white paper, he quickly wrote m case number, the date, my surname and marked the portion ...You are requested to provide additional documentation and then he wrote old passport.

VO: Show this document to the security, it will let you out and let you back in. Go and bring your old passports.

Me: OK Sir. Taking fast strides.

Upon my return from the car, with our old passports in hand, I went straight to him, with my family. He carefully went through all my visas and the one on my wife's old passport.

VO: Can I have all the passports back?
Me: Passed it to him sharperly.

He scanned them all again. He then looked up at me.

VO: Congratulations Mr. ..., your visas have been approved, you shall be contacted by the DHL office
Victoria Island in 72 hours via text messages or email to come and pick up your Visas.

Me: Thank you Sir.

It was our first attempt and we received the text messages and email in 72 hours. We have our visas now and the travel plans is in top gear. We booked the hotel.

As we can all see the VO was very much interested in your travel history. This tallies with what many contributors have advised . Travel history makes it easy for the VO to make a decision for B2 (tourism/family visitor) applicants. If you’ve gone to Canada , England and France on vacation and returned to your country there’s a very little chance that you’ll go to the US for the same purpose and remain there as an illegal immigrant .

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by abnot: 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2018
Recently a friend of mine undergoing a 1 year course in wales was seeking a tourist visa to USA (first timer). He was advised to come apply in Nigeria since his ties to Nigeria was likely goin be stronger . However considering the cost implication of travelling to Nigeria with no guarantee he decided to apply at the us embassy in London.
He was asked about the purpose of the trip to which he answered that he was going on a vacation. The Vo asked what city . He said Washington DC. The VO asked bout his course of study and then the VO asked if he was traveling alone and he answered that he was travelling with a group of friends . The VO then asked what countries he had been to and he mentioned France , Spain , UAE, Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa , Ivory Coast , Belgium . The VO then asked looked up the passport and asked if he used another passport for the trip to France . He said yes and passed the old passport to theVO but the VO told him not to bother . Vo typed in some information and told the applicant that his visa has been approved and he’ll be contacted by the courier delivery company.

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by LadyGuinivere: 6:44pm On Jun 17, 2018
abnot:
Recently a friend of mine undergoing a 1 year course in wales was seeking a tourist visa to USA (first timer). He was advised to come apply in Nigeria since his ties to Nigeria was likely goin be stronger . However considering the cost implication of travelling to Nigeria with no guarantee he decided to apply at the us embassy in London.
He was asked about the purpose of the trip to which he answered that he was going on a vacation. The Vo asked what city . He said Washington DC. The VO asked bout his course of study and then the VO asked if he was traveling alone and he answered that he was travelling with a group of friends . The VO then asked what countries he had been to and he mentioned France , Spain , UAE, Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa , Ivory Coast , Belgium . The VO then asked looked up the passport and asked if he used another passport for the trip to France . He said yes and passed the old passport to theVO but the VO told him not to bother . Vo typed in some information and told the applicant that his visa has been approved and he’ll be contacted by the courier delivery company.

Odikwa egwu. Your friend na better ajala o! Lol

Lawlek, congrats. Outta curiosity only, are you Muslim?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Lawlek(m): 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2018
Yes am a Muslim.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by bigbus: 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2018
Kunle2030:

Me:i love my job and it provides me a decent living and i cant abandon it.my wife and children live here in germany with me and i have visited many countries in europe and never overstayed.

VO:looked at me in awkward silence for a while and said ok im approving this visa today.pls dont let me down.if u go and return u will get a US visa for life and if u dont u will never get a US visa.take care of your lovely kids

Me:i was so emotional and thanked him for giving me the benefit of doubt.this was my fifth attempt.

I wanted to ask if i could travel alone cos my wife 2 days ago received a letter in the post for her dream job interview and unfortunately it falls in the period we are originally scheduled to travel as a family and this is the only time i will be free to travel cos of my work.im only staying in newyork for 10 days..will it be a problem to travel alone even though i said in my ds 160 im travelling with my wife and children?pls guide me
Yes, it will be a problem, and may immediately lead to visa cancellation and deportation at POE. Na you know your history: and US has you on file. You applied for family travel, you should make that family travel even if it means waiting for months until your vacations coincide. Consider a shorter holiday for Christmas or other public holiday + weekend. Or you can all go earlier and come back in time for her interview, or go immediately after her interview. Shorter holiday could also mean less expenses.
Take care of your lovely kids. All the best!

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by BreeKoko(f): 12:14am On Jun 18, 2018
Congratulations o!!! Its better u travel with ur family since its a family visa na

Kunle2030:
Hi everyone, i have been following this thread for months and its been very insightful and helpful..ill like to share my experience.

I have been refused a us visa four times before my this..i was refused 15 years ag
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by gentlenoni(m): 12:23am On Jun 18, 2018
Good evening house! I've been following this thread for quite sometime now and it really helped me when I had my 1st F1 visa interview, unfortunately I was not well equipped as I was denied at the Lagos embassy in March 2018. This was my experience ;

VO: Good morning.
Me: Good morning sir.
VO: pass me your passport and I-20 please...
Me: sure!(gave him passport, I-20 and sevis fee receipt)
VO: where are you going to in the US?
Me: Stratford University in Virginia.
VO: *nods head* in Virginia. What course are you going to study?
Me: yes. Computer and information systems security.
VO: how long do you intend to spend in the US?
Me: approximately 19 months.
VO: did you apply any other schools?
Me: yes! SJSU and ISU
VO: okay, ISU. where you admitted to any?
Me: yes! SJSU.
VO: so why did you choose Stratford over SJSU?
Me: I chose Stratford because it offers a curriculum that fits my area of interest. It's curriculum combines Advanced technology, hands-on lab and the traditional educational method of impacting knowledge to students.
At Stratford university, students spend less time in class taking notes, rather they spend more time at the lab conducting hands on research using advanced technology, which is what I need to be more effective and professional in my area of study and also my basis for selecting an institution.
VO: what do you intend to do after graduation?
Me: I intend to come back home and contribute to the development of information systems in Nigeria by creating and designing newer softwares for information security and database management. And I also intend to establish an IT institute where I'll train students in IT skills.
VO: Who is sponsoring you?
Me: My dad.
VO: What does he do?
Me: He is a major distributor of Vitafoam Nig plc and also a contractor of Julius Berger Nig plc.
VO: Vitafoam?
VO: What's your highest qualification?
Me: Bachelor of science.
VO: In what course?
Me: Chemistry.
VO: Why are you switching from Chemistry to Information systems?
Me: In a time like this where ICT is taking over the world, I want to be among those to impact that change in my own country.
VO: That does not answer my question. Why are you switching?
MesadNow having no clue what to say)I've always loved working with computer and I want to study this course just to enhance my skills so as to add to the development of information systems in my country.*stuttering*
VO: Sorry at this time I cannot issue you a visa. This paper states the reason why. You can apply again. Thank you!
Me: Thank you!

I applied a 2nd time in april 2018 at the Abuja embassy and was also denied...this time I went fully equipped as I got better answers to every question but was denied still on the basis that I was switching programmes, and the VO said she couldn't get enough information and that was the only question she asked me b4 handing over the green paper. Now I want to apply again but I need to get another I20 from the school but they're requesting for an updated statement of account. Can I send a different account from the one I sent to them previously as it no longer holds the stipulated fund? What other tips do I need to know before embarking on another journey(any possible questions that I may be asked as regards my transcripts)? Fod bless y'all as you do justice to my questions. Thanks in anticipation!
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by abnot: 12:31am On Jun 18, 2018
gentlenoni:
Good evening house! I've been following this thread for quite sometime now and it really helped me when I had my 1st F1 visa interview, unfortunately I was not well equipped as I was denied at the Lagos embassy in March 2018. This was my experience ;

Me: I chose Stratford because it offers a curriculum that fits my area of interest. It's curriculum combines Advanced technology, hands-on lab and the traditional educational method of impacting knowledge to students.
At Stratford university, students spend less time in class taking notes, rather they spend more time at the lab conducting hands on research using advanced technology, which is what I need to be more effective and professional in my area of study and also my basis for selecting an institution.
Me: I intend to come back home and contribute to the development of information systems in Nigeria by creating and designing newer softwares for information security and database management. And I also intend to establish an IT institute where I'll train students in IT skills.
Me: He is a major distributor of Vitafoam Nig plc and also a contractor of Julius Berger Nig plc.
Me: In a time like this where ICT is taking over the world, I want to be among those to impact that change in my own country.
MesadNow having no clue what to say)I've always loved working with computer and I want to study this course just to enhance my skills so as to add to the development of information systems in my country.*stuttering*
VO: Sorry at this time I cannot issue you a visa. This paper states the reason why. You can apply again. Thank you!

I applied a 2nd time in april 2018 at the Abuja embassy and was also denied...this time I went fully equipped as I got better answers to every question but was denied still on the basis that I was switching programmes, and the VO said she couldn't get enough information and that was the only question she asked me b4 handing over the green paper. Now I want to apply again but I need to get another I20 from the school but they're requesting for an updated statement of account. Can I send a different account from the one I sent to them previously as it no longer holds the stipulated fund? What other tips do I need to know before embarking on another journey(any possible questions that I may be asked as regards my transcripts)? Fod bless y'all as you do justice to my questions. Thanks in anticipation!

Applying for the same visa class three times in a row shows desperation. Deep down you and only you know why you are making the switch. Just tell them why you decided to make that switch. They may also be wondering why a a graduate school made you an offer to study a course without a foundation or college degree in a similar course.

2 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Teeboy22(m): 1:12am On Jun 18, 2018
LadyGuinivere:

Odikwa egwu. Your friend na better ajala o! Lol

Lawlek, congrats. Outta curiosity only, are you Muslim?

I tell u sister na real ajala the traveller ..lol

Congrats o
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Alote: 5:02am On Jun 18, 2018
seyewest:

Re-apply to change your B1/B2 to F1

Please How do i do that
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by nedu2016: 5:50am On Jun 18, 2018
good day my follow nijja bro/sis pls I work in phamacitical company as a maintanice officer with a little salary to travel to usa have been my dream I have know body in the state am 30years of age married with 2kids pls adivers me how to go approach the embassy what I need to present thank u
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Pesuzok(m): 6:58am On Jun 18, 2018
nedu2016:
good day my follow nijja bro/sis pls I work in phamacitical company as a maintanice officer with a little salary to travel to usa have been my dream I have know body in the state am 30years of age married with 2kids pls adivers me how to go approach the embassy what I need to present thank u
Honestly, take your time and read like 10 pages of this thread, you will get the information you seek. It will help you a great deal to know if you should apply now or work on your ties before applying
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Pesuzok(m): 7:02am On Jun 18, 2018
gentlenoni:

VO: *nods head* in Virginia.
Not a bad interview if you ask me.
Have you applied for a US or Canada visa before this, because it is difficult to say where you got it wrong.
Did the VO check sponsor's bank statement?
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by LadyGuinivere: 7:28am On Jun 18, 2018
Teeboy22:

I tell u sister na real ajala the traveller ..lol

Congrats o
Yipeeee. Ye are back!
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by RefKing: 7:46am On Jun 18, 2018
gentlenoni:

This is Visit Visa(B) platform, You will get a better response if you post your question on Study visa platform(F1).Thanks

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by toluene23(f): 9:27am On Jun 18, 2018
I've learnt alot here... but not yet satisfied
I'm about booking up an appointment for a US Visa interview
wanna go on Vacation for just 2weeks coz I need to return back here coz of d nature of my work. I'm heading a very Notable position in the Compny
Senior Boss friend at my working place that I'm going there to visit (I know him very well,met last time he came like years back) wanna take me around up there in US"hes a Citizen",I've printed out my IV...
Boss supporting me for the Trip with every payment and company Doc.
I'm at my Early 30s
parent aged here"Literate"
single and not ready to even be attached "make I flex myself life jare"
virgin renewed passport
just got d first passport before and never planned to visit...but tot might be opportune just like in ds case
had a B. SC years back 6yrs ago as edu background

what's my chance
planned a week and return but told it's minimum 2 weeks for relevancy
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by SexyDuby(f): 9:38am On Jun 18, 2018
toluene23:
wanna go on Vacation for just 2weeks coz I need to return back here coz of d nature of my work. I'm heading a very Notable position in the Compny
Senior Boss friend at my working place that I'm going there to visit (I know him very well,met last time he came like years back) wanna take me around up there in US"hes a Citizen",I've printed out my IV...
Boss supporting me for the Trip with every payment and company Doc.
I'm at my Early 30s
parent aged here"Literate"
single and not ready to even be attached "make I flex myself life jare"
virgin renewed passport
just got d first passport before and never planned to visit...but tot might be opportune just like in ds case
had a B. SC years back 6yrs ago as edu background

what's my chance
planned a week and return but told it's minimum 2 weeks for relevancy
Any travel history? What are your ties binding you to coming back?
You'll do yourself more good by going through the thread thoroughly....It's important & u'll also get more answers to ur questions. All d best!
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by seyewest(m): 9:50am On Jun 18, 2018
Alote:

Please How do i do that

Pay another visa fee for F1 and go for interview. That's the right way to go about it.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Alote: 10:13am On Jun 18, 2018
seyewest:

Pay another visa fee for F1 and go for interview. That's the right way to go about it.

I know I have to do so, but am asking cos in the student visa Thread, they refused lots of F1 visas lately.

I want to know if there is a possibility they might cancel my B1 Visa if i didn't get the F1 Visa.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by seyewest(m): 10:22am On Jun 18, 2018
Alote:

I know I have to do so, but am asking cos in the student visa Thread, they refused lots of F1 visas lately.

I want to know if there is a possibility they might cancel my B1 Visa if i didn't get the F1 Visa.

Reason why your good travel history will help you... I don't see them canceling/revoking your B1/B2 visa if they refuse your F1 application.
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by NeyofeedNigEnt: 10:24am On Jun 18, 2018
gentlenoni:

Ehn you want to reapply again
Why are u dashing them money nah
Try somewhere else

4 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by temmyt20(m): 3:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
toluene23:
wanna go on Vacation for just 2weeks coz I need to return back here coz of d nature of my work. I'm
in my own opinion, why will ur boss send u on vacation? The company has never even sent u on training, why will ur boss then decide to sponz ur vac, to visit som1 u only met probably once? Think abt it,

3 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by toluene23(f): 3:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
SexyDuby:

Any travel history? What are your ties binding you to coming back?
You'll do yourself more good by going through the thread thoroughly....It's important & u'll also get more answers to ur questions. All d best!

@sexyduby
no Travel history
Ties: My Job, Aged Parent
coz actually I'm not married and not ready to at present
I don't want to go but just tot of like its a chance / opportunity to visit there and return back quickly here within a week...
so what do u suggest
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by lanbles: 3:42pm On Jun 18, 2018
Acube2:
As I previously posted before. I was accepted into a fellowship by Us based NGO. The fellowship/volunteer is in Kenya and Uganda. But there is a mandatory training at San Francisco. Just 5 days.
My host company, the NGO contacted them to expedite my visa interview, so my interview was scheduled within a week.

Congratulations.
Pls don't know if I can pm you. I'm a member of a very reputable NGO, and my story somehow look like yours. Planning to for a training in Hawaii Honolulu
Would like to ask some questions from you if you don't mind
Thanks
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by toluene23(f): 3:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
temmyt20:
in my own opinion, why will ur boss send u on vacation? The company has never even sent u on training, why will ur boss then decide to sponz ur vac, to visit som1 u only met probably once? Think abt it,

@Temmyt20
not that I'm curious about ds...
it's actually falling within my Leave period
But I don't want to leave here for long
maximum a week I will return back here to Naija coz as I will be going on leave I still av to watch over somethings and make sure all is in good condition as I will also be on leave(my work is very important and don't wanna be an ingrate) .
but we do communicate steady I mean d Bro in State, I think it's better booking an hotel and all sort

Advice!!!
Na appointment date e remain o... abeg equip me on how to pass and for d VO to be very sure I'm coming back
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by Teeboy22(m): 4:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
LadyGuinivere:

Yipeeee. Ye are back!
Yes oo sister ...now are you doing... Pls ma..how do i easily get to the American embassy from obalende ...interview time is 8am ...are we good if we get to the venue 7am

Thanks
Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by OmoBendel24: 4:05pm On Jun 18, 2018
Lolz! See packaging.... Some people be sweet-talking on here as though we are the actual VOs they will face during interview. VOs dem go don see the good, the bad and the ugly sides die sha. All shades.... Choi!!!

Lolz.... Can't just stop laughing!

5 Likes

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by temmyt20(m): 4:06pm On Jun 18, 2018
toluene23:

@Temmyt20
not that I'm curious about ds...
it's actually falling within my Leave period
But I don't want to leave here for long
maximum a week I will return back here to Naija coz as I will be going on leave I still av to watch over somethings and make sure all is in good condition as I will also be on leave(my work is very important and don't wanna be an ingrate) .
but we do communicate steady I mean d Bro in State, I think it's better booking an hotel and all sort

Advice!!!
Na appointment date e remain o... abeg equip me on how to pass and for d VO to be very sure I'm coming back
left to me oo. ita better the company send u on a training than sponz ur vac. Of what advantage will the vac be to the company?. Read d thread very well, first impression of vo's nowadays, when it comes to Nigerians.... everyone is a potential immigrant. do well to read about 20pages back and vet urself

1 Like

Re: USA Visit Visa Part 3 by SexyDuby(f): 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
toluene23:

@sexyduby
no Travel history
Ties: My Job, Aged Parent
coz actually I'm not married and not ready to at present
I don't want to go but just tot of like its a chance / opportunity to visit there and return back quickly here within a week...
so what do u suggest
My candid suggestion.....Your No travel history is a turn off for the VO in this recent time.
I'll advise you travel somewhere else(preferably UK or any European country) b4 heading to apply for a US visit visa.
Your job and aged parents ain't no strong ties either.
Like I said earlier on.....READ THIS THREAD THOUROUGHLY...It might be stressful but it'll pay you to do so. All d best!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (508)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.